For those that work for an Airline.....

mom of princessx2

DIS Veteran
Is it hard to get the stand by (free) flights in and out of Orlando? My friend's DH works for an airline and she is wanting to try it in a few weeks.

It is extremely difficult!! My husband works for an airline and we fly with him so our priority level is high, but we still have a hard time. We end up flying into Tampa alot!! If you do try, the best days are Tuesday and Wednesday. Also, we try for the 1st flight.

Good luck!!

That's hard to say.. alot depends on what route she's planning on flying and on what airline, what day of the week, etc. I fly for Southwest. I can let you know exactly how our flights look if you send me a pm with her details.

It depends on from where. I've done it many times, earliest flights in the morning the best, day of the week matters. Tuesday thru Thursday's always worked for us. Its good to know different routes, other airports close to your home you can use and times, and have a back up plan. Only once I remember we had problems--there was 5 of us, we split up and ended up on two different flights.

YES!! As everyone has said, it depends on the day of week, time the flight is and time of year. Heading into Easter/spring break I personally wouldnt try it.
Flights are so full, I am driving down for our cruise, NOT by choice, but cuz the flights are already full!!:eek:

Is it hard to get the stand by (free) flights in and out of Orlando? My friend's DH works for an airline and she is wanting to try it in a few weeks.

It is near impossible. I did tht once, the one flight I finally got was leaving at 6 am and someone did not show up. I had a toddler and was flying employee parent.

That was back before the flights were cut too. Once we tried for 4 pm out and did not make it. Ended up flying to Birmingham, spent the night, had a tornado siren go off and level a town 15 minutes away....OH and the plane, a 30 passenger prop plane, last seats in the rear, and I prayed with my eyes shut the entire flight.

We went to a second airport the next morning early, and then a third one to get home...I will never do that again. TOo many last minute specials for $70 ORBITZ we had a one connection to Orlando last spring three days before we left. DS wanted me to meet him there to help with grandson, they took the train and we drove back.

WHat is the other airport, Sanford, any one know if that is better?

My brother works for a major airline (not a discount one either) As an airline employee he flies priority one and my parents are priority 3. He says no way no can do on flying into Orlando not just for them but for himself. He and they into Ft. Lauderdale and rent a car. Even then they sometimes end up waiting an whole day on either end to get a flight - once they had to stay an extra day because the flights were so booked. OTH when my parents fly to visit him in Dallas they get on either the first or second flight they are booked on.

WHat is the other airport, Sanford, any one know if that is better?

We are just across the bridge from Louisville so she could go Louisville, Cincinnati, or Indy.
I do know she is catagory 3 so this info doesn't sound too good to me. If all else fails, for her to get home, she has asked if her and her dd can catch a ride with us but I really am trying to avoid that. However, I could never leave them stranded either. Thanks for all the info, I will let her know.

I agree with everything previously posted. I have not bought a revenue ticket in 14 years & we've only been "bumped" a handful of times. We always fly out of MSP directly into MCO--you just have to plan & be ready to change your plans at a moments notice (leave earlier/later than planned, fly into another city, connect from there, etc). I save a TON of $$ by non-rev'n & I am OK with the "minor" headaches that go along with it :)

MCO is one of those stations where the day of the week and the time of the flight makes a huge difference. Hubs are easy to get in and out of. YMMV.

yes. My brother works for an airline, and has never been able to get me a seat to MCO.

Madge, I see you are in KY. Do you usually try to fly out of Louisville??

I can't remember the last time we flew out of SDF. We usually fly out of Nashville, it's 2 hours from here (I live in Hardin County) but in the past, it's been significantly cheaper. For our June trip, I am seriously considering flying out of Lexington .. AirTran and Allegiant fly out of there very reasonably.

I'm willing to go as far as Indy or Cincinnati for flights, too.

I would only fly nonrevenue standby during off peak times. I have, many times, with my family flown as an employee and we always go off season. So far we've never had any problems, but as a standby passenger you always need a plan B or even C. I work in a major hub so there are plenty of flights every day. As a general rule, I always try to take the first one of the day, because that is the one people are most likely to miss. Then they will be put on the standby list for the next flight, ahead of employees.

Much of flying standby is timeing. Stay away from week ends and holidays. If you desire to go during the "in" season I would look into buying a ticket.

DH and I have flown on our friends buddy passes several times (they usually give us passes for Christmas.) We flew to Manchester, NH out of MCO a few weeks ago and had to take a later flight than the one we were originally listed on. It had a connection that we nearly missed (long line at ticket counter in Baltimore due to a canceled flight) but then they got us on it:) We also get to sit together 9 times out of 10. We flew back from MHT to MCO direct on a Sunday night.

Last year we went to San Diego, Laguna Beach, D23 and Disneyland in CA. The flight on the way back was full and no other ones were going out that night, so we had to stay in Las Vegas for a night. I loved it since we saw Love (Cirque) but we did have no clothing since our bags went on to MCO-haha. DH was sooooo stressed about it but I love travel and flying so it does not phase me. Hey-FREE flights! So the hotel was $60 bucks. Still cheaper than flying MCO-SAN (San Diego.) Saved us $300+ per ticket (at the time.)

We have flown to NOLA for a long weekend and both of those flights were a piece of cake-no changes from what we asked for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter