For those that use the packing cubes

kimb96

Mouseketeer
How many do you need? They have a good sale going on and I'm going to buy some. Dh, ds and myself. I'm thinking of 3 small, 3 medium, and 6 large. Does that sound like enough? I only plan on taking one packed suitcase per person and two carry ons. Ds will take a small backpack with his personal activities for the plane. 5 night cruise.

Also if anyone can tell me how much you can get in them, that would he helpful. Thanks!

How many do you need? They have a good sale going on and I'm going to buy some. Dh, ds and myself. I'm thinking of 3 small, 3 medium, and 6 large. Does that sound like enough? I only plan on taking one packed suitcase per person and two carry ons. Ds will take a small backpack with his personal activities for the plane. 5 night cruise.

Also if anyone can tell me how much you can get in them, that would he helpful. Thanks!

IMO, sounds like a lot of luggage for a 5 night cruise. But to answer your question about the packing cubes, sounds like you will have more than enough and might be able to get away with 3 large and not 6.

Where is this sale? Is it possible to buy a set and 'test pack' your items to determine the amount of cubes you will need?

What's a packing cube?

---Paul in Southern NJ

Agreed 6 large are too many 3 would be fine. As for how much you can get in them that depends on you, if you tightly roll you can easily fit 6-8 men's t-shirts in a large. If you stack roll meaning layer several pieces then roll less.

Ebags has a sale going right now....

Thanks! I will start with a 3 piece set for each of us (1 small, 1 medium, 1 large) and experiment with how much I can fit in them. As for 3 checked bags sounding like too much, one will be a garment bag with our formal clothes and 2 regular suitcases. This is a challenge for me as I tend to way overpack but I am committing to this arrangement :)

Link to sale

http://www.ebags.com/category/travel-accessories/packing-aids

For me, for one week, I use:

One large for pants, jeans, and skirts
One medium for tops
One medium for pjs, 2 workout top2, 2 workout bottoms, and a swimsuit
One small, rectangular one for underwear, socks, and bras.

I can get that, plus a toiletries kit, my running shoes, and flip flops into a carry-on.

I'm a light packer, and don't wear a lot of makeup or have a lot of hair products. If I'm feeling fancy I will throw in my fabulous hair dryer, but I don't pack to excess. I use everything I pack and don't have to do laundry except for workout stuff. If you like to have special outfits or want to include formal wear or a separate kit for makeup (the other women in my family are very into makeup and hair products and have a separate piece of luggage just for this---crazy!!! :laughing:), you will need more cubes.

Also, something that made my life easier was getting the cubes in different colors--my son gets the green ones, mine are red, dh's are blue, dd's are black. Makes organization easy peasy!

Thanks! I will start with a 3 piece set for each of us (1 small, 1 medium, 1 large) and experiment with how much I can fit in them. As for 3 checked bags sounding like too much, one will be a garment bag with our formal clothes and 2 regular suitcases. This is a challenge for me as I tend to way overpack but I am committing to this arrangement :)

Link to sale

http://www.ebags.com/category/travel-accessories/packing-aids

I feel you!! I overpack as well. For my party of 6, I am hoping to do 2 carryons and 3, 4 tops checked bags. We are driving to the port, but I don't want all the extra pieces in the stateroom if I can avoid it!

There is an awesome thread on here about packing cubes. It has info/ideas and even pictures of how to pack them in your suitcase. I was trying to search for it and post the link, but then I realized the board search is down. When that comes back up you might want to look for it.​

I pack just for myself, and I use one with the folding board for shirts, one cube that has the zipper on one side for rolling up pants, and then I have one that has a zipper on both sides and I put underwear and nightshirts, etc. for the trip down and then for the trip home, it holds the dirties.

ETA: I love my packing cubes. I know where everything is and everything stays neat and wrinkle free. I use them for every trip, even for a short weekend.

For me, for one week, I use:

One large for pants, jeans, and skirts
One medium for tops
One medium for pjs, 2 workout top2, 2 workout bottoms, and a swimsuit
One small, rectangular one for underwear, socks, and bras.

I can get that, plus a toiletries kit, my running shoes, and flip flops into a carry-on.

I'm a light packer, and don't wear a lot of makeup or have a lot of hair products. If I'm feeling fancy I will throw in my fabulous hair dryer, but I don't pack to excess. I use everything I pack and don't have to do laundry except for workout stuff. If you like to have special outfits or want to include formal wear or a separate kit for makeup (the other women in my family are very into makeup and hair products and have a separate piece of luggage just for this---crazy!!! :laughing:), you will need more cubes.

Also, something that made my life easier was getting the cubes in different colors--my son gets the green ones, mine are red, dh's are blue, dd's are black. Makes organization easy peasy!

You are a packing wizard!

I am getting us each a different color. That's a great idea! Dh has his own toiletry bag and I have a large one for ds and I. I can get away with a makeup bag small enough to fit in my purse. No need for any haircare products for me or a hair dryer as I just finished chemo and I will be lucky to have an inch of hair at the time of the cruise. My turbans and scarves won't take up much space :p

I placed my order for 3 3 piece sets. I don't know if there is a quirk in the site or what but I got free shipping even though my order was less than $99. I was going to order an extra set of mediums if the shipping was more than $10 to qualify for free shipping. Maybe a little early pixie dust for me.

What's a packing cube?

---Paul in Southern NJ

Packing Cubes are zippered rectangular bags that you can pack things in. They are nylon and make organizing your suitcase much easier. You can take the cube directly from your bag and put it in a dresser drawer without having to take item by item out of the bag. You can see what they are by going to http://www.ebags.com/category/ebags-packing-cubes/20048905

We used a set (1 large, 1 med., 1 small) for each of us. I was really surprised at how much we could fit it them. Our next trip will be a little longer, so I may get an extra Med. for each of us.

I have 3 sets of packing cubes from Eagle Creek. If you go to their website they have the videos on how to use the packing cubes. I also have 3 of the folder packers that I use for pants/jeans/shirts/blouses. :dance3:

I've been using packing cubes for years.
We've recently come from an 8 night vacation of which 5 nights were on the Disney Dream.
3 females. I found that the mediums come more handy than the large.
We used one of each sizes per person. In the small I was able to pack a bathing suit, night wear, underwear and a light weight outfit. This was placed in the carry on, just in case.
I was able to pack in the medium about a third of the clothes we needed and in the large 2/3. These were split between myself and my DD suitcases in case one didn't show up.
If you roll the clothes alot can fit into them. And they're flexible enough to go into the odd spaces inside the suitcases.
Packing to come home, the last morning of the cruise a medium was used for our previous day's and night clothes.

I have 3 sets of packing cubes from Eagle Creek. If you go to their website they have the videos on how to use the packing cubes. I also have 3 of the folder packers that I use for pants/jeans/shirts/blouses. :dance3:

You seem to have quite the experience with the cubes/folders. Do you find that you can fit more into a suitcare or do these items help organize and prevent wrinkles? I have space saver travel bags that remove the air and increase space. Just curious if it is worth investing in these.

You seem to have quite the experience with the cubes/folders. Do you find that you can fit more into a suitcare or do these items help organize and prevent wrinkles? I have space saver travel bags that remove the air and increase space. Just curious if it is worth investing in these.

I love my cubes. Not only do they save space, but if your suitcase was to break open, all your items are contained. Each member of my family has a 3 piece set in a different color.

I have four sets of the 3 cubes (sm,med,lg) in four different colors. Each of us has that much room to pack. Anymore and we don't need it, any less, and there is room to bring things home. We have 2 toiletry bags from L.L.Bean but we've only ended up using one for traveling. I try to bring things that we use up and then don't have to bring them back home (shampoo, lotion, toothpaste, etc.)

I have never understood the need for people to pack so many clothes! We are a family of four (3 of us are adult size) and we check 2 bags. We bring 1 carry on with meds, camera, laptop, ipods, and snacks. That's it. We have never needed more than that. I am amazed to watch people at dinner and see how many different pairs of shoes they wear on a cruise! No freakin' way am I bringing more than 2 pair of sandals (one black, one bronze) that go with everything from swimsuit to dinner wear. Even more comical is to watch how much luggage people put in the hallway on the last evening!:scared1:

I posted this on a previous thread "Help with Packing"

LOVE ebags packing cubes!!! I travel for work and only take carry-on's. I use them all the time but when I travel with my son they really come in useful & are a life saver going through security! I have a color for him and a color for me! He knows exactly where all his clothes are and how to repack them! He just grabs them and puts them in the drawer at the hotel or wherever. Yes rolling clothes cause less wrinkling and gives you more space too, I learned to pack this way as a military kid and again when I was in the military!
I also LOVE ebags motherlode suitcase line, they are smartly designed and my favorite part is the bright orange lining! That way you can see EVERYTHING in the bottom of your bag, no dark corners!
Here are video links to both products...watch the video's they help a lot!

This is the suitcase I have for both my son and I....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-OY...feature=relmfu

In this video he's speaking about the suitcase but its packed with the packing cubes so you can see how they work!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQqsl...eature=related

Here are the packing cubes set that I have...
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/v...76931780985059

And my suitcase...
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...ductid=1325228

For toiletries I have this...it came with my packing cubes set it's perfection!
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/pack-it-flat-toiletry-kit/54638?productid=949940
:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter