for those that have cruised in Feb....

Butterx3

Mouseketeer
So our school district finally posted the calendar for the 2010~2011 school year. We have a break in February that we have never had before, and now I am contemplating booking a cruise on the dream for that week. I would love to hear any insights as to the weather. I know Florida is hit or miss in February. But has anyone ever gone on a cruise in Febraury and been darn right cold?

The weather in Feb. is variable at best. We've had it be low 80s during the day and cool on deck at night, but we've also had it be downright COLD. Once, on Castaway Cay I was covering up with every towel and bit of clothing I had before I gave myself a stern talking to and went back to the ship.

We've done at least 8 trips in January and Feb. Two of them were cold. 2009 was great!

If your break is over "President's week," that's one of the more crowded weeks because many schools are off then.

When I was on Castaway Cay Feb. 16 this year it was cool and we wore long pants all day. We had a great day but it was too cool and windy to sit at the beach. Out of my 11 Disney cruise's this was the coolest time we had been. Have been in April, May August, November and December in the past before this trip.

There was probably 50 people in the water. Lots of people had a great time building sand castles and such. On our at sea day it was in the 50's when we got up.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will think it over then. We went in January once and had great weather, but I think we were fortunate. We are also from Minnesota, so we were fine on CC, but others were cold and didn't go into the water. It is actually the week after Presidents day they have off, and for the first time ever they have school on Presidents day. Maybe I will stick to my original plan and go the week of Thanksgiving. But weather can be iffy in November also. We were just in Orlando the first week of December doing a week at Universal and one day at the magic kingdom, and we were lucky, the weather was in the low 80's upper 70's until the day we flew home, a cool down started that seemed to last 3 months.

We were at CC on Friday, the 12th and it was a beautiful day until it started to cool down and get very windy in the afternoon. But it was never really true "beach weather", the kind that makes everyone want to get into the water. I put my feet in and that was good enough for me -- reminded me of New England coast beach water in the summer. :laughing:

Of course, you are looking at two weeks later so that could make a big difference.

I can't remember whether you said Western or Eastern, but you might also consider that your other ports of call could be quite a bit more southern and much warmer. We found Cozumel to be hot (not uncomfortably hot, but pleasantly hot, if that makes sense) and Grand Cayman to be very nice. We went into the water in Cozumel and it was enjoyable, although still not what I would call warm.

Key West was beautiful -- high 60's/low 70's and sunny. There was a breeze, so a jacket or sweatshirt was needed, but it was a lovely day for walking around.

We went end of Jan/beginning of Feb last year and had horrible weather. It was so windy we couldn't even dock at CC. Even if we had it would have been lousy beach weather. It was too cold to swim on the ship as well, even with heated pools. Next time we'll go a different time of year and do a longer cruise (we were on a 3-day).

I think it is pretty much hit or miss. We did the Feb 2008 Western Magic and had great weather and made it to all the ports. Just off the 2/20/2010 Western Magic sailing and had cooler/cloudy/some rainy days, missed Grand Cayman due to high winds but CC was a beautiful day. You take a chance sailing Dec-Feb but you can't control the weather. Things work out best for those that make the best of how things work out:)

Out of the three cruises I've done in Feb, only one had wonderfully warm weather.

The first Feb cruise was rainy, cold but the ports were warm.
The second Feb cruise was incredible. Warm everywhere and no rain.
This past cruise (just last week) was cold but Cozumel was nice and warm. Everywhere else either windy, rainy or just too cold to swim.

That said, it was certainly warmer than being in Chicago!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter