For Those That Have Already Returned from Alaska This Year

dkmjgal

Mouseketeer
I know just about every question has been asked about what to pack and what the temperatures are like during the Alaska cruise. What I would like to know is how many of you actually packed a winter coat and were glad you did, or did you decide you didn't really need it. For those that didn't pack a winter coat..did you regret it?
I'm trying to decide whether a heavier coat will be necessary or should I concentrate more on layering under a heavier sweatshirt? I'm trying to save space in the suitcases and I'm not sure we are going to need a coat. We are doing Mendenhall Glacier on our own..we plan to hike out to Nugget Falls and we are doing the White Pass Railway with Trail Camp excursion. In Ketchikan we are doing a duck boat tour.
Thanks for your help!

Back from the July 19th- July 26th cruise. I recommend a rain coat and layers of light jackets, sweaters and fleece.

We took the blue bus to the Mendenhall Glacier and it was warm. Jackets were around our waists. Hiking, the trails make you hot.

The White Pass train in enclosed. We took our jackets off. We did gold panning and again our jackets were around our waist.

In Ketchican, it was over cast and colder. We went halibut fishing on a private charter and we wore alot of layers and double socks. It may not have been as cold on land.

Every trip is going to be different weather wise but May and September is going to be colder than July and August. Again, I recommend layers and I would leave my winter coat home.

Did not take a winter coat. Did not need one.

Did take a water repellent jacket that came in handy.

Think layers.

I only wore a long sleeved shirt once the whole trip. (May 24)

Mostly I wore short sleeved tops and threw on a fleece zippable sweater.

You are in for a great time!
We're from the South so were worried about our cold tolerance compared to our northern neighbors. We cruised on May 31-June 7. The temps were high 50's most days. We took heavier jackets but really didn't need them. Layers are definitely key- it's going to be colder and windier if you're on a boat or actual glacier than if you were doing a land excursion. A three-in-one jacket is very helpful. Pack for rain and wind if you are planning to be outside any length of time. Lightweight wind pants from a sporting goods/camping store is great for layering over jeans/pants so you can peel them off if needed. Don't forget a cap/hat. Forget gloves unless you are really cold natured. We packed more than we needed.
Have fun!

On the first sea day I wished that I had packed our winter coats on the 7/26 cruise. Also could have used it on our day in Skagway. Didn't really need it for Dawes Glacier because we were on the verandahs of two friends so could go inside when necessary to warm up. I wrapped a couple blankets around me when we were on deck 4 watching for whales and in Skagway I wore 2 LS shirts, a hooded carnigan and two sweatshirts...so was warm enough. We did the White Pass excursion and the views from the platform were so stunning that DH and I spent much of the ride up on the platform taking pictures so they would not have the reflection from the window. It was 38 at the top so it did get very chilly out there. If you are getting off the train for part of the excursion, it will be outside, and if it is near the top, then you will need to be prepared for the cold up there.

We also hiked to Nugget Falls and by the time we got there we were all down to one layer and wishing we had worn T-shirts. Bit of advice, take the trail to the right to Nugget Falls. ;) We took the one to the left that looked shorter but you walk through streams and brush that has a very narrow path through it. Still worth the trip! :) It was beautiful, sunny and relatively warm for that area in Ketchikan. We walked all over and usually had our sweatshirts around out waists with just a LS shirt on.

Thank you for your replies! After a little bit of stressing I think I've figured out what we are going to do. All 4 of us in the family have a Lands End Rain Jacket that folds into itself. We will all bring a couple of long sleeve t-shirts and a sweatshirt that we can wear under the rain jacket. We also have some ear muffs that we will pack to keep our ears warm on deck on Tracy Arm Day. Myself and my DH have some nice waterproof hiking shoes that we will wear at the Glacier and the Liarsville Trail Camp and also if we happen to get a lot of rain in any of the ports. DD who is almost 16 insisted on a cute pair of rain boots (not too practical for a lot of walking) and DS (12) lives in sneakers and flip flops. For them I am going to waterproof their sneakers and hope for the best.
Thanks again for the reponses..it definitely helped.

Thank you for your replies! After a little bit of stressing I think I've figured out what we are going to do. All 4 of us in the family have a Lands End Rain Jacket that folds into itself. We will all bring a couple of long sleeve t-shirts and a sweatshirt that we can wear under the rain jacket. We also have some ear muffs that we will pack to keep our ears warm on deck on Tracy Arm Day. Myself and my DH have some nice waterproof hiking shoes that we will wear at the Glacier and the Liarsville Trail Camp and also if we happen to get a lot of rain in any of the ports. DD who is almost 16 insisted on a cute pair of rain boots (not too practical for a lot of walking) and DS (12) lives in sneakers and flip flops. For them I am going to waterproof their sneakers and hope for the best.
Thanks again for the reponses..it definitely helped.

You must be on the 8/16 cruise...so are we!!! I am also bringing the LLBean rain jacket and LLBean waterproof sneakers, an LLBean lightweight fleece and plan on layering and take each day as it comes...weather wise! I am packing a scarf, those stretchy Magic gloves and a hat or use the hood on the rain jacket.

MJ

You must be on the 8/16 cruise...so are we!!! I am also bringing the LLBean rain jacket and LLBean waterproof sneakers, an LLBean lightweight fleece and plan on layering and take each day as it comes...weather wise! I am packing a scarf, those stretchy Magic gloves and a hat or use the hood on the rain jacket.

MJ

Those stretchy magic gloves are fantastic! They take up so little space but can be a lifesaver if things get windier/colder than you expeced.

Didn't bring winter coat and I'm glad I didn't.

Dressed in layers. Used my North Face Rain Jacket over a sweatshirt all the time.

If you do decide you want a heavier coat, you can buy a $20 jacket in every port! I was tempted at one point but didn't want to pack it back.

Those stretchy magic gloves are fantastic! They take up so little space but can be a lifesaver if things get windier/colder than you expeced.

No kidding, those are great! I for got to buy some at the end of last season and have been anxiously checking stores to see if any are coming in. I have one pair left from last year, but the odds of losing them....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter