For those of you who live in Rural areas...

My mom grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan Canada. She attended a one room school house. Yup, one mile walk through the snow. At least it was flat. No buses. Oh, did I mention the school was on the corner of her dad's farm and that he donated the land for the school? Oh, and no cutting school as my Grandparents rented a room to the teacher so the teacher lived with my mom and her siblings. School only went to 8th grade. For High School you had to go 100 miles to a boarding school.
Oh, well if it wasn't uphill both ways, then it doesn't even count does it? :rotfl2:

I think many of our parents and grandparents have stories just like yours. I know mine did. Doesn't really change how we see things though. You thought 7 miles was far because your experience was that everyone lived within 2 miles or less of the school they went too. I don't think it's bad at all because I grew up much farther than that from the school I attended. The distance from the school was something we looked at when we purchased our land. I wanted to be sure it was close enough that I didn't mind running back and forth when they got old enough to start sports. And thank goodness I thought of that because from Aug to March they are having practice 3-4 days a week for something.

Oh, well if it wasn't uphill both ways, then it doesn't even count does it? :rotfl2:

I think many of our parents and grandparents have stories just like yours. I know mine did. Doesn't really change how we see things though. You thought 7 miles was far because your experience was that everyone lived within 2 miles or less of the school they went too. I don't think it's bad at all because I grew up much farther than that from the school I attended. The distance from the school was something we looked at when we purchased our land. I wanted to be sure it was close enough that I didn't mind running back and forth when they got old enough to start sports. And thank goodness I thought of that because from Aug to March they are having practice 3-4 days a week for something.
Of course, both my kids went to a private High School, 14 miles from home. No bus, carpool until they got their driver's license, then they drove themselves.

I grew up in a rural town of 3,000 (one street light in town, no grocery store, one gas station and one pizza restaurant) - small school we had 48 in our grade. We had the biggest grade. Our high school and middle school buildings were attached and totaled just over 200 kids. Town wanted us to go regional with another town but the nearest town declined. It was a big too do back then trying to go regional (this was in the late eighties). Our buses would pick up at our house. I was the only kid on my street and it stopped at my house. We had a lot of buses for some reason - I think there were like 10 kids on my bus. Now the town is much bigger! Anyway, now I live in a town of 20,000. The school bus picks up at the end of each road. We are 2 houses in so we don't have to walk far!

Interesting. I didn't think they wanted High School students mixing with First Graders, for example. Like I mentioned no more buses here in the San Juan Unified school district since they went to open enrollment. No way to set up a route since few if any students go to their neighborhood school anymore, and quite a few go to the school closest to their parents work.
In all fairness, it was 20 years ago. But, I will say that having lived in CA most of my life, things are different in OK. They don't (or didn't) tolerate a lot and didn't make excuses. Having 3 grandkids in the same district you speak of, I didn't realize they didn't have buses. Then again, I have to pick 2 of them up Wednesday and like you said, they don't go to their scheduled schools.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter