• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those of you who have sailed/stayed Aft before...

mainstreetmagic

Mouseketeer
Hi! I have a question for those that have more and different experiences with cruising than I do. I am trying to figure out just exactly where I want our cabin to be on our next cruise. We now will have 2 cabins, so I am trying to make my dollar stretch as F A R as possible, while paying for 2 cabins, and still getting my verandah. :cloud9:

My DD had an issue on our last cruise whenever we were in the aft, dining at the restaurants. You can really feel the movement and vibration there, and she always felt a little :sick: every time we were in AP or PC. :goodvibes So my question is, does THAT feeling go away the higher you are on the ship? Can you please tell me about your experiences with noise, vibration, and the actual feeling of movement if you have stayed all the way aft before?

I am looking at booking 2 cabins in the very aft, deck 9 hopefully, on the Fantasy. I will be able to get 2 amazing verandah views for close to what we could get one obstructed verandah and 1 oceanview statesroom for in Forward. I don't want DD to be sick the entire trip :lovestruc, but at the same time - 2 verandahs are better than one! :cloud9:

Thanks! :yay:

I've only been on one cruise, so I really have nothing to compare this to, but I sailed aft on the Wonder. We were on deck 6, and I had no problems. I am prone to motion sickness and did take a Bonine every day for prevention. I do remember it being a bit loud during docking times, but it may have been loud other places too - again, I have no frame of reference. Did your daughter take any motion sickness meds?

She actually never had to. :) I bought it, and I brought it, but neither of us ever felt motion sick. We were on the Wonder, too, so you know exactly what I am talking about. :cool1: I don't know if it was the fact that Animators Palate and Parrot Cay are enclosed (no windows), so that, along with the vibration, made her feel like she needed to hold on to something :rotfl: I wonder if being on a higher deck with an open space will help. I don't know though. :confused3 And it's a LOT of money to spend, only to get onboard and be uncomfortable for 7 days. :goodvibes

We were aft on the Dream - just by the aft elevators - and I felt the motion in Animator's Palate but had no problem in our room. We were on deeck 6. I did take dramamine for the first day or 2 because I am prone to motion sickness but I probably didnt need to. And the elevators were always so easy to use - not like the midship which were always packed. I think we want to get the same location next cruise - we felt it was very convenient.

One cruise on the Wonder, had the last aft room on deck 2 starboard side. No problem at all with vibrations or ship nosies. Did here the crew moving up and down the stairs behind the head board, at night. Movement had never effected me on any cruise (I have done 13 over the years, multiple lines) and DW had problems with our first couple of cruises but now no problems. I have found talking with most people that the more you cruise the less you feel of the ship movements.

We were in the last rooms on the side aft on the 8th floor on the Dream (Cat A, probably the same ones you are looking at). I felt the motion on the Dream more than I ever did on the previous three cruises; however, the motion in the room wasn't any different than any of the places on the ship (if that makes sense). I could tell while I lying awake in bed, but it was only that I could tell, not that I got motion sickness.

We were aft on the Dream - just by the aft elevators - and I felt the motion in Animator's Palate but had no problem in our room. We were on deeck 6. I did take dramamine for the first day or 2 because I am prone to motion sickness but I probably didnt need to. And the elevators were always so easy to use - not like the midship which were always packed. I think we want to get the same location next cruise - we felt it was very convenient.

Same. Interesting that others had this experience. Our first night dinner was in Animators' Palate. We were as aft as one can be in the restaurant -- on one of the four tops in the cut out all the way in the back. I get motion sickness and during the first night, I could feel myself rocking side to side and thought "uh oh."

But, for whatever reason, I didn't feel that in our cabin, which also was aft on deck 6 -- behind the aft elevators. Looking on the map, our cabin looks like it was almost directly above our animator's palate table, so I can't explain it. I really liked the location of the cabins, except for the rumbling from the engine turbines early in the morning when docking at castaway cay.

We had a recent cruise where we stayed 8600 on the Wonder (it's one of the handicapped aft - 1BR suites) that you can get.. it's basically one of (i.e. right next to) the highest/farther back room..
I can feel the movement and sway when I'm in Parrot Cay (and combined with the food there) it's one of my least favorites. I can feel it a little less at Animator's. And in comparison, i feel it 'just a little less' up on 8.
In comparison, we've had a midship 6, midship 7 and did not really feel it at all..

This was during a fairly benign (<5-10 ft) waves trip, to the Eastern Caribbean (so open ocean). Now, I normally don't get sick, but did have a few days on the trip in open ocean where i "felt it" and tried some seabands. My youngest, who normally doesn't get sick, did have some sensation (enough to do ginger ale, and have an episode of vomiting, but then got better). The other and SO did not have much problems.

So.. I'd say, it's perhaps a tiny bit less motion than compared to AP/PC levels, but.. you will still feel it.. if there's calm seas, probably no big deal. bad seas, probably big deal. if she totally can't handle AP/PC on a calm trip, then i'd look midship

I am prone to motion sickness at sea, and our cabin on the Wonder was right by the aft elevators on Deck 6. The only time I felt a little odd (and I took bonine and wore sea bands throughout the cruise) was the first night at dinner in Parrot Cay. I couldn't figure out why, since I didn't feel the motion of the ship at all. I think what happened is that my body (especially that center of balance, my inner ear) knew that I was moving in an unusual way (rocking) that I was not especially conscious of! As soon as we went to one of the porthole windows, and walked out on deck, I felt much better. Have your DD walk on the deck and focus on the horizon. If she isn't feeling sick, her body is just trying to integrate what it's feeling (movement) with what it's seeing (no movement)! After a walk on deck, I was just fine. I continued taking the bonine throughout the cruise, but it didn't make me drowsy, and I had no further issues. I hope my experience helps you or someone else!

No-it doesn't go away and I would not recommend it if you are prone to motion sickness. We stayed in Aft on the 7th deck on the Dream and felt
everything. The ice bucket vibrated and shock constantly. I would rather stay
inside on Midship than veranda in Aft...

Me and my Mom are both prone to sea sickness, and we stayed on Deck 5 Aft on the Wonder and neither of us had a problem at all :thumbsup2

We are going to be sailing again in the same room and deck on the Magic :cool1:

We have stayed center, forward and aft on various cruises with different levels of waves on each cruise. I think the air and ability to see the horizon does help you immensely in how well you tolerate the movement. So, a verandah is going to be better regardless of where it is on the ship. Some people feel there is more movement in the bow of the ship since it doesn't have the engine weight up there. :confused3 Again, a lot has to do with how the seas are on your ship at the time!

The higher up you are on the ship, the less vibration from the engines, although a good portion of the back of the ship vibrates during docking, no matter how high you are!

I don't know much about the Dream, so I can't help you there!

I think 2 aft verandah cabins are better, but that is me. If you are certain the verandah/outside stateroom combo will be guaranteed to not make her sick, then stick with that. But if you can't guarantee that either set of cabins will be "motion sick free" (which you probably can't) then go for the verandahs....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter