For those of us watching the evening Olympics . . .

Deb in IA

Knows that KIDS are better
Do you catch the results BEFORE watching the network telecast, or do you try to stay away from knowing the outcome?

I generally think it is more exciting to NOT know the results.

But I accidentally heard the results of the men's all-around gymnastics on the radio on the way home last night.

If I did not know that Paul Hamm would pull off a most amazing comeback, after falling to 12th place in the vault, I would have believed Tim Daggett (when he said that there was no way Paul would medal), turned off the TV, and gone to bed -- thus missing an incredible performance of guts and determination.

So, how about you? Do you catch the results before watching it on TV, or do you wait to see it?

I am trying to keep myself insulated, but every so often I will catch something. It's very hard. I probably should not even be here on the DIS, but I don't think any of the events they will show tonight have started yet.

I have Yahoo set as my homepage, so alot of times, I'll just get on, glance at the headlines, and there will be something about it. That's how I knew about Paul Hamm....but when he slipped to 12th, I had to actually read the article because I thought I read it wrong, LoL!! I much rather prefer not knowing...and I can't wait for track to start...I'm dying!!

Well, the wife and I had a plan yesterday. We decided we were going to watch the 6pm news and get all the results so we wouldn't stay up until 11:30 at night for the 4th night in a row. We both need to catch up on our beauty sleep!!!:)

So we hear that Paul Hamm wins gold by the smallest of margins ever and that he did it after falling down on the vault. So we say, good thing we saw that otherwise we'd be hooked into watching it all again. And you know the network is saving that for the very last part of their program. So we agree that we'll be in bed by 10.:rolleyes:

We get the kids down at 8, flip on the olympics, no big deal. We see the first 3 rotations in the Men's competition; now it's bedtime, right?!!!

Well, let's just see how bad the fall was.......wow, he's in 12th place, how's he going to recover from that..........the other American is in 3rd, how does he drop so far.........how do the other gymnasts falter to open the door for Hamm........he needs a 8.26 for gold!!!!!.......gotta see that.......hey look, it's 11:30 again.......

Looks like an extra large coffee will be required in the morning!!!:teeth:

Thursday night we will definately go to bed early............is that the Women's individual gymnastics that I see tonight?...........

Do you think my boss would mind if I take a little cat nap?

PP

I tend to watch all the events as they happen, live on my computer. I still watch them on TV at night, but I need to know it as it happens.

I did not know the results...only that last night's competition was close, but when Paul Hamm crashed into the scoring table after the vault, I was so disappointed I went online to find out the results, figuring it was obviously a close race between two other gymnasts. DH and I were stunned when we read the results, and I couldn't believe it. I quickly taped the rest of the competition because I figured it was obviously a keeper.

I tried to tell DH (somewhat lamely) that at least we knew to record it, but he pointed out to me the entire thing is replayed on NBC from 2 to 5 in the morning. So I re-recorded the whole thing.

I'm really mad at myself for finding it out. I won't do that again.

Originally posted by TalkisCheap
I have Yahoo set as my homepage, so alot of times, I'll just get on, glance at the headlines, and there will be something about it. That's how I knew about Paul Hamm....but when he slipped to 12th, I had to actually read the article because I thought I read it wrong, LoL!! I much rather prefer not knowing...and I can't wait for track to start...I'm dying!!

I had to change my homepage to Google so I wouldn't accidently see the results.

I wait for the results, and watch them "live" in the evening. My co-workers are under orders not to tell me what's going on during the day under pain of death. My co-worker did tell me to "watch until the end" before going home yesterday, though. I would have, anyway, but it was nice of her to tell me with out spoiling the surprise.

I do not like to know.

Yesterday I accidentally found out about the Men's gymnastic final and the swimming race with Brendan Hansen.

DH wanted me to tell him the results for gymnastics, but I wouldn't do it because I knew he would like watching it without knowing. :)

Originally posted by DukeStreetKing
I had to change my homepage to Google so I wouldn't accidently see the results.

Yahoo now has a check box where you can hide all Olympics results on the front page. :) I had to do that the past couple days because it was bugging me that I kept seeing results when I'd go to check my e-mail or do a search.

Of course, I still ended up accidentally seeing the Paul Hamm result when I was watching part of the US Soccer team World Cup qualifying game.

I knew the men's gymnastics results, but DH did not.

So, last night, I kept telling him, "You HAVE to see Paul Hamm's VAULT," knowing that he crashed big time on it.

DH was furious afterward. "You wanted me to see THAT??? It was HORRIBLE!!!"

I had to keep telling him, "Yes, but remember; there are two more events, and ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN (hint, hint)!!";) ;)

Afterward, he agreed that it really was a pretty amazing performance . . .

I've been checking on the results during the day, but I still am hooked on watching it later on because I'm facinated by the performances.

There's only so much the media can do to describe something like Paul Hamm's amazing comeback or some of the fantastic swimming races. The performances themselves defy description, in my mind.

I knew Paul's comeback was against all the odds, but I had NO idea just how close it was and just how well he and the Koreans performed to get the medals they did. I kept watching the fall at the vault thinking, how in the world did he manage to get out of this??? It made me understand from the time of the vault on just how important each of the performances they showed were to the end result while the performance was happening.

That all being said - I do wish that the media would be better at putting the results in a place where you didn't have to see them if you didn't want to - like when the TV stations tell you to look the other way if you don't want to know how it turns out.

I completely missed the ending routines last night b/c I was so SICK of the negative commentators.....so after his vault I turned the tv off....

does anyone know where I can find a realtime recap of it??

I pretty much have seen all the results by the time it comes on at night. I just can't help looking!!!!!

I haven't heard any results yet -- I don't watch the news at all, and DH take sthe sports section out of the paper before I have a chance to see it. I listen to CDs on the way into work, so no chance of hearing results there. I'm very picky about spoilers -- once I know who wins I no longer am interested in watching, so I avoid them at all costs.

Originally posted by 2bemarried
I completely missed the ending routines last night b/c I was so SICK of the negative commentators.....so after his vault I turned the tv off....

does anyone know where I can find a realtime recap of it??

Ditto ditto.........I just couldn't watch another moment and now to find out how it DID turn out.....well.........DANG!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter