• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those of us displaced from AKV Concierge

I forgot:

Dates: 10/19-10/25
Room type: 2 BR
Number of people: 9

What I was offered: A too small room (2BR) for my party size at SSR, and the point difference refunded to my 2009 use year(at least they didnt tell me I had to use the point difference of 110 by Feb 1st). Oh, and daily housekeeping and a gift basket (maybe the basket has an air mattress in it for my son!)

What I would like: A room big enough for all of us (either a GV, which is unlikely to be available, or a 2BR and a studio). And maybe not the dining plan free, but maybe compensation equivalent to a few snacks and drinks per day per person....like a free refillable mug and 2 snacks each on a card.

I am not asking for some big freebie here. I would just like to be treated like they understand what we are losing and that what they are offering is not the same, but they are at least TRYING to make up for it. Right now I feel like they think the 2BR at SSR was doing me a big favor.

We are doing the cruise beforehand. Last cruise, I met Al Weiss and he asked me if I liked my DVC membership. I would LOVE to have that conversation again in October.

I wonder if you can find Al Weiss email? If so, I would sure shoot one off to him and anyone else that you can think of.

What if you called member services and you accidentally booked a wrong day for your reservation. I suppose when you call back that Disney should be able to demand hundreds of dollars upfront to cancel your reservation.
This isn't a fair comparison. Your example is a guest error and I agree that it would be on the guest to deal with the fallout. In this instance, these people have valid reservations - specialty reservations on top of that - and are being moved to lesser accomodations with little to no reimbursement. The issue is on Disney's side and I don't think it's whining to expect a comparable or better room as a consolation.

I find it very hard to believe that DVC didn't know these renovations were in the works long before now. Did some contractor just drop by the property and give them a great deal last week? :crazy: Please.

They really should do whatever it takes to make these owners happy. Some of these folks are undoubtedly past their banking deadlines, have non-refundable airfares, have borrowed points for the ressies, etc.
The number of hoops I've heard that people have to jump through to even get one night on the AKL concierge level should guarantee much better compensation than what I've heard of to date. I too think they knew in advance but pulled the same deal they did when the change to the AKV of the upper floors began. This is one reason why I've avoided AKV since construction began. As much as I love my SSR DVC, it isn't a comparable trade. Unfortunately, I don't think they have anything comparable to offer.

I wouldn't go so far to say this would be a reason to not buy DVC. It's happened before to non-DVCers at the AKL and, unfortunately, it will probably happen again.

I agree with the people who are being bumped and feel they should get something. I own at SSR but I've stayed at AK twice, once at the Lodge with cash and once in a 1BRSV. If you wanted to stay somewhere and are all booked and these people booked concierge! I think its very disappointing to have to go someplace else and it is a huge inconvenience. The very least Disney should do is give the DDP to everyone who is bumped because of this. Disney made a huge error and they should have to compensate for it. Also, they make plenty of money, I wouldn't worry about where the moneys coming from!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: It's not as if these people booked AKC knowing this would happen!!!!!This is the first time that I am SO MAD reading some of the comments!

But I was moved from an AKV 2BR that sleeps 9 to a SSR 2 BR that sleeps 8.

I have 9 people! So my 13 year old son can sleep on the floor. I booked this trip DBD at 11 months. I bought a contract at AKV FOR THIS LEVEL OF STAY! I spent 11,000 so my son could SLEEP ON A FLOOR!

People displaced from their 99 dollar a night rooms at Pop Century last fall were given 1 BR villas at SSR with free dining..

Wow-that is so beyond belief to me.

Sorry-you no longer qualify for ME either-or Extra magic hours (you all need a room key).

I haven't read the whole thread, but have people been given a guaranteed AKV Concierge stay for future vacations?

I haven't read the whole thread, but have people been given a guaranteed AKV Concierge stay for future vacations?

No! I will speak for the displaced. I think if they had been, not a single one of them would have been so upset. They were sent to SSR. A few of them have negotiated their way to a different resort.

No, we just got off our 3rd call with them of the day. After I got now where with Reggie this morning, dh called back and talked to about 4 different people.

He just talked to April (he thinks) who he said was nicer and more informative than anyone we have spoken with. She said there are 9 villas (I thought 10?) and that 5 were effected, so 4 villas will be available during that time.

He asked about the possibility of DVC deciding that those of us who were moved should get some type of help securing our next AKV concierge vacation, even though we can book at 11 months. She went away for a bit, came back, and said no, not that at this time anyway.

I expect that to change. She said that our level of frustration (we were actually nice) in no way matches the frustration of the people who were moved to SSR and OKW (hadn't heard any were moved to the latter). I can imagine.

Geez - we're all dvc members with decades of trips to look forward to, and people are up in arms whining and demanding the world because ONE trip is being altered?? No wonder we (dvc members) have a bad name...it's behavior like this. Moving from an AKV concierge studio to a SSR studio with the difference in points refunded is 100% fair. Throwing in a little something is "nice" but not necessary. Expecting free DDP for those days is downright ridiculous!

Also, the balcony construction might be only the 6th floor, so quit whining about cash concierge guests. They wouldn't be affected. As for whining about Disney being so incompetent to not schedule this further in avance (more than 11 months) so they need to pay - oh my god, this is embarrassing being a member of the board. We're talking about a vacation, people - one of 50-500 vacations we'll take over the course of our membership. Something is bound to go wrong/against our wishes at some point - just suck it up and deal with it. Be thankful for all that we have, rather than demanding compensation for something as trivial has having one trip's resort changed :confused:

There are reasons The Dis sometimes gets a bad rap, too. Mean-spirited responses such as yours are embarrassing as well.

I'm not whining or asking for any extras. I just joined DVC last fall, I am an easy going chick, no its not the end of the world, but that does not mean that we can't discuss the situation. We have every right to know what happened to our reservations, after all, we did pay for them. No this is not the end of the world, its not even a blip on the radar screen, but, uh, we can still discuss it.

I am very grateful for DVC, and I am very grateful that I was placed in BWI as opposed to SSR. I don't like SSR, that's why I didn't buy there. Therefore being booted to SSR would in no way be comparable to AKV concierge for me. If it is for you, then that is your business. How those of us feel who were actually effected by the way this was handled is not your business. I'm sure that won't keep you from stating your opinion as expecting us to care about it.

I'm sorry you let others' feelings and lives effect you so strongly. Geesh.

If the move was from OKW to SSR or from BCV to BWV, I would say the accomodations are similiar. But to move from AKV Concierge to SSR, that is in no way similiar. Plus the fact that the AKV Concierge is very hard to get, SSR seems to be almost always open. I stayed at AKV Conceirge at the end of June, we loved being able to see the animals from our room and around the resort. What is there to see at SSR? Look at Downtown Disney across the lake? Or maybe you will luck out and get the fire station view. I think if SSR was the only choice, I would cancel, I have no desire to stay there. I could understand this if it was some kind of emergency repair, like after a hurricane. But this seems to be routine maintenance.

As a rule I'd be there with you, the entitlement mentality is certainly alive and well. However in this situation no one is asking for extras or compensation, only what they had reserved or suitable replacement. DVC is certainly underperforming in this situation, uncharacteristically so.

Yep, I would generally be saying that about the entitlement mentality too, but the Club level reservation at AKV is just too difficult to get to have that rug pulled out from under you. I would want some assurance that I could book concierge level in the future. Not sure how that would possibly work though.

Yep, I would generally be saying that about the entitlement mentality too, but the Club level reservation at AKV is just too difficult to get to have that rug pulled out from under you. I would want some assurance that I could book concierge level in the future. Not sure how that would possibly work though.
I don't think DVC would give priority for future bookings.

I forgot:

Dates: 10/19-10/25
Room type: 2 BR
Number of people: 9
Home resort: AKV and SSR and BWV (this reservation was all AKV points at 11 mos DBD)

What I was offered: A too small room (2BR) for my party size at SSR, and the point difference refunded to my 2009 use year(at least they didnt tell me I had to use the point difference of 110 by Feb 1st). Oh, and daily housekeeping and a gift basket (maybe the basket has an air mattress in it for my son!)

What I would like: A room big enough for all of us (either a GV, which is unlikely to be available, or a 2BR and a studio). And maybe not the dining plan free, but maybe compensation equivalent to a few snacks and drinks per day per person....like a free refillable mug and 2 snacks each on a card.

I am not asking for some big freebie here. I would just like to be treated like they understand what we are losing and that what they are offering is not the same, but they are at least TRYING to make up for it. Right now I feel like they think the 2BR at SSR was doing me a big favor.

We are doing the cruise beforehand. Last cruise, I met Al Weiss and he asked me if I liked my DVC membership. I would LOVE to have that conversation again in October.

Sorry, but I first of all don't own DVC. But I couldn't help reading this (been looking at DVC for years). But... let me get this straight. You have 9 people in your room, and on the reservation I presume. How can they move you to a room that won't accommodate your group? I understand some folks want to milk this for all it's worth, but in your case, they are doing almost nothing to make up for the concierge lack (and I've stayed at AKL concierge - it is wonderful). Plus they are not accommodating your group. This doesn't quite make sense. I really hope you are able to talk to MS and get something that will. Is the whole group on the reservation? They should do more...

If the move was from OKW to SSR or from BCV to BWV, I would say the accomodations are similiar. But to move from AKV Concierge to SSR, that is in no way similiar. Plus the fact that the AKV Concierge is very hard to get, SSR seems to be almost always open. I stayed at AKV Conceirge at the end of June, we loved being able to see the animals from our room and around the resort. What is there to see at SSR? Look at Downtown Disney across the lake? Or maybe you will luck out and get the fire station view. I think if SSR was the only choice, I would cancel, I have no desire to stay there. I could understand this if it was some kind of emergency repair, like after a hurricane. But this seems to be routine maintenance.

Exactly! I have no intention of EVER staying at SSR. Moving me from any one of the locations I own to SSR would be seen as a HUGE drop in value to me. If I wanted to stay at SSR I'd have bought at SSR!

No way in the world is a studio at SSR anywhere near comparable to a concierge AKV studio. It's lunacy to equate the two.

Sorry, but I first of all don't own DVC. But I couldn't help reading this (been looking at DVC for years). But... let me get this straight. You have 9 people in your room, and on the reservation I presume. How can they move you to a room that won't accommodate your group? I understand some folks want to milk this for all it's worth, but in your case, they are doing almost nothing to make up for the concierge lack (and I've stayed at AKL concierge - it is wonderful). Plus they are not accommodating your group. This doesn't quite make sense. I really hope you are able to talk to MS and get something that will. Is the whole group on the reservation? They should do more...

No kidding, If this is the case then I guess any of us can have 9 in a 2BR anywhere. :confused3

Well talked to them today. They tried to find us a bigger room and could not. But they will try to find a bed or something so my son doesnt have to sleep on the floor.

Awesome. All I asked for was beds to accommodate 9. I was told that our SSR confirmation would have all 9 people listed, so everyone should have room keys. If not.....if you hear some freaking out on 10/19...that will be me.

Honestly, this whole things is ridiculous. And the other person on this thread who said, oh big deal, it is the same accommodations, who cares......put one of your kids on the floor in your room next vacation. Okay? :sad2:

I don't understand if some of these villas will be open, why they moved us. We have 9 people and I dont know why they would give us a room that holds less people and keep someone with less than 8 in the 2BR villa at AKV?

I guess we are SOL. There are not rooms that will accommodate us available, according to MS. I am so aggravated.

Wow,

What if you called member services and you accidentally booked a wrong day for your reservation. I suppose when you call back that Disney should be able to demand hundreds of dollars upfront to cancel your reservation.

Or how about this, maybe you can stay at the Boardwalk and if they are mopping the floor in the lobby and you accidentally walk accross it - OMG you made a mistake, your screw up should certainly result in extra charges to your room to compensate the additional time and effort that the employee has to re-mop where you walked.

Get real people!

I am so tired of people thinking they are owed everything and this sense of entitlement that people feel they should always have.

People and businesses make mistakes. Then when they offer something - OMG "I want more" - never enough.

Grow up people. Stop whinning and stop making my membership dues go up!

I don't think you have any idea what the issue is here. Maybe it would be a good idea to read some of the other threads on the subject before jumping to conclusions.:sad2:

Well talked to them today. They tried to find us a bigger room and could not. But they will try to find a bed or something so my son doesnt have to sleep on the floor.

Awesome. All I asked for was beds to accommodate 9. I was told that our SSR confirmation would have all 9 people listed, so everyone should have room keys. If not.....if you hear some freaking out on 10/19...that will be me.

Honestly, this whole things is ridiculous. And the other person on this thread who said, oh big deal, it is the same accommodations, who cares......put one of your kids on the floor in your room next vacation. Okay? :sad2:

I don't understand if some of these villas will be open, why they moved us. We have 9 people and I dont know why they would give us a room that holds less people and keep someone with less than 8 in the 2BR villa at AKV?

I guess we are SOL. There are not rooms that will accommodate us available, according to MS. I am so aggravated.

I am really sorry that you are going thru this. So much time in planning and anticipation goes into these trips. I just cancelled my BCV add-on today. Part of the reason is that as just a fairly new member (1 1/2yrs) there has been so much change and non-communication, that I don't want to commit to anything more until I see Disney's true colors. So much expense is involved with airfare, food, tickets. How about those that booked the safari tours? Are they still honoring this? How about the travel time now involved in getting there from wherever your relocated to? It's just not right. I hope it all works out for you.:sad2:

I am really sorry that you are going thru this. So much time in planning and anticipation goes into these trips. I just cancelled my BCV add-on today. Part of the reason is that as just a fairly new member (1 1/2yrs) there has been so much change and non-communication, that I don't want to commit to anything more until I see Disney's true colors. So much expense is involved with airfare, food, tickets. How about those that booked the safari tours? Are they still honoring this? How about the travel time now involved in getting there from wherever your relocated to? It's just not right. I hope it all works out for you.:sad2:

They are honoring the safari tours. I lucked out. They found a savannah view room for me and I'll still have access to the club level. That's all I wanted - what I had booked. It was their attitude that ticked me off and the fact that they obviously had not thought about the ramifications of this at all.

I am really sorry about your situation. You absolutely should expect better accommodations. While I am not all that happy that we were bumped, I feel for you guys even more. I'll keep hoping they find a better place for you guys!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter