• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those going soon...they're baaaack...tour groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting for Disney to make December "Civility Month" and give a 30 percent discount to people that wait their turn, DON'T TAKE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHS ON RIDES, treat other guests with courtesy and treat CMs with respect. Heck, I might even pay 30 percent MORE to not have to put up with all those afflicted with **** syndrome.

Love this - they have gay days, latin month, the special gospel night....let's do a special Civility Day in Dec - sign me up!:yay:

Every year the same complaints surface and supposedly they bother people so much that, what? They go back again the following year at the same time. Where are all of the videos of all of these groups doing all of these dangerous antics? I have been to Disney several times and been bothered by people smoking in non-smoking locations, I have seen people leave their trash and uneaten food all over the tables, and I have been in the middle of cheerleaders yelling so loud in my ear that it was unbearable. And guess what, I don't think they were part of any of the so-called dreaded Brazilian Tour Groups.

smidgy, I am afraid I would have a tough time returning after being spoken to that way by a CM--yours was not a "petty" complaint, and the response of the CM was horrific. Just wondering--did you ever go further up the customer service chain with this issue? I'd be curious how they handled it.

LOL, smidgy @ "How bad can it be?" Every single time I embark on a disaster those are the exact words I use just prior to finding out just how bad it can be. American Airlines? How bad can it be? Sea World at Spring Break--how bad can it be? All you can eat Chinese seafood buffet near the underpass of I-35--how bad can it be? Answer: Bad. Crazy bad.:crazy2:

PS: smdigy, I'm going to have to check out your trip reports--I'm a trip report junkie and yours have very clever (without trying too hard) titles!
When you mentioned the under I35 Chinese food place, I immediately got a pic in my head of one in Austin, at which I've said that very thing to myself. And then I saw your screen name, and realized I bet we're thinking of the exact same one. If so, small world!

Does anyone know why 90% of these groups are female? Very few teenage boys with the groups. Also I have seen no all male groups during my visit this week.

My stay at Pop Century was filled with tour groups and it was extremely disruptive in the food court drink machines
So was ours- the groups were young wrestlers from all over the US. Rude, loud, obnoxious to the point the group was thrown out of the pool. Climbing from the 2nd floor to the 3rd floor over the railings. Pretty bad stuff.

We got RUN OVER by them yesterday. Literally, RAN, pushing our group of 6 (with a 5 year old) out of the way on Space Mtn. The Cast Members were trying to stop them and couldn't even scan 1 out of (estimate) 4 of them into the ride. Then they proceeded to RUN up the queue - passing others in line. We got stuck in the middle of them and they kept pushing past. Finally the leader showed up and asked us to move and I LOST it on him. He pretended not to speak english. I was polite, but let him know that with young children around, running and pushing isn't appropriate! We are ALL waiting for a ride and they should let people go in before them NOT plow over others with locked arms. when they started chanting and screaming, he did his best to quiet them.. I know he understood every word we said. (AND they all had selfie sticks.... which made me even madder!)
What you've described is without a doubt an absolutely terrible experience. But there's something I feel the need to question a little.

You said - "AND they all had selfie sticks...which made me even madder!" In a later post you described them all taking photos with these selfie sticks.

I personally haven't seen a selfie stick in any park since the policy banning them went into effect (and that's 40 or more visits). In fact, I've seen Security CMs being extremely diligent on making sure outlawed items don't get into the parks. I've also experienced non-security CMs doing the same. I've seen people turned away at the parking trams and sent back to their cars to stow them.

So there are only three explanations I can think of for what you saw.

1) Disney allowed an entire tour group to bypass the security check.
2) The group went through security but they were allowed the entire group to take in a banned item.
3) Or maybe in the chaos, confusion and darkness of the queue you were mistaken about the group having these items.

Just curious. Feel free to respond or not, but this seems pretty unlikely to me.

Oops, sorry! I was actually at the Pop Century as part of the wrestling group. I wasn't one of the wrestlers (past that age), but a couple of boys in my family were competing. While I didn't witness these specific incidents (it's a very expansive hotel), I'm honestly not surprised. I did some stupid stuff too when I was a teen, and we were probably obnoxious at times too. Not making any excuses.

Interestingly, in worldwide polls of which country's tourists were most annoying, USA almost always ranks at the top. If I went to Europe with 20 friends as a teenager, I don't want to think about how obnoxious we'd be to the locals!
Man I could write a book of stupid things I did at that age and I guess that was my point to a certain extent. No matter where they are from- a group of pre-tee/teen kids are going to do annoying stuff.

Every year the same complaints surface and supposedly they bother people so much that, what? They go back again the following year at the same time. Where are all of the videos of all of these groups doing all of these dangerous antics? I have been to Disney several times and been bothered by people smoking in non-smoking locations, I have seen people leave their trash and uneaten food all over the tables, and I have been in the middle of cheerleaders yelling so loud in my ear that it was unbearable. And guess what, I don't think they were part of any of the so-called dreaded Brazilian Tour Groups.

(love this one)
(not too bad)
(idk why people say these groups are annoying)
(a parade got called off, i mean pfft, it isn't THAT bad)

note: please take this with a grain of salt

Last edited:
We got RUN OVER by them yesterday. Literally, RAN, pushing our group of 6 (with a 5 year old) out of the way on Space Mtn. The Cast Members were trying to stop them and couldn't even scan 1 out of (estimate) 4 of them into the ride. Then they proceeded to RUN up the queue - passing others in line. We got stuck in the middle of them and they kept pushing past. Finally the leader showed up and asked us to move and I LOST it on him. He pretended not to speak english. I was polite, but let him know that with young children around, running and pushing isn't appropriate! We are ALL waiting for a ride and they should let people go in before them NOT plow over others with locked arms. when they started chanting and screaming, he did his best to quiet them.. I know he understood every word we said. (AND they all had selfie sticks.... which made me even madder!)
That is awful :( I would have gone crazy and I can't imagine what my DH would have done.

Again, because I don't know much about these groups ... is the arm linking and pushing and cutting ... is it from entitlement? Is this how crowds and lines are typically dealt with in their home countries? ***? I'm sure they are met with anger on every ride they go on if this is how they act. So, wouldn't common sense tell them that's NOT how you act in the United States?

So was ours- the groups were young wrestlers from all over the US. Rude, loud, obnoxious to the point the group was thrown out of the pool. Climbing from the 2nd floor to the 3rd floor over the railings. Pretty bad stuff.

Can't say I've seen that one before, lucky nobody got hurt.

My kids went with youth group to Disney/Universal as part of national competitions in the area (academic vs sports:)). More than a few of the participants woud get 'in trouble' with chaperones (their school teachers) for violating curfew, leaving the park alone, not checking in for head count they had every 2 hours - said infraction mine all managed to achieve. I pick my battles, being a half hour late in an amusement park not the worst thing to hear, kids are kids.

You send them off, hope they have learned something from you and that the chaperones are on-pointe. You are entrusting your child to their care. I'd like to think that the Brazilian groups of young adults parents feel the same way. WDW should require a certain # of tour guides per group.

I've been to the world staying @ the values/moderates when various youth groups have been about: Pop warner, cheerleaders (both jr & I assume college?), twirlers, etc. It's not the kids I blame for mucking things up, it's the lack of adequate adult supervision. They are along to chaperone them, not let them run wild and encourage them to have some basic consideration for their fellow resort guests.

No issue at all with Pop week, they keep the kids busy with practice and school work as several sets of parents indicated. Said they hardly saw their kids all week...with a big smile on their faces as they enjoyed the hot tub with us lol.

That said we are bolting from onsite @ WDW for upcoming mid February after I discovered we would have cheerleading groups both ends of our trip. Refuse to accept the early am wake up call of rah-rah outside my door that is a given during the competitions. Hoping we get assigned a nice, high floor @ WBC, far enough away from the impromptu practice sessions.

Jmho but any large group (and I'm talking extended family groups who for some reason want to walk side-by-side) is an all-too more of a common issue in the parks. At least the tour gorups carry flags to give us a chance to avoid them.

Last edited:
It's part cultural, part youth, and a big part entitlement. They do not care if they are met with anger; it's a mob mentality and they just think the anger of other park goers is funny.

Yeah, mister morrow, but at least they had FLAGS! So they had that going for them.

I'm gonna rant. I love you all, but someone has to say this stuff, so here goes:

If someone wants to post a video of Pop Warner cheerleaders causing a parade to be cancelled, or performing a Pop Warner cheerleaders versus Little League boosters chant off which effectively takes the area hostage to their idiocy, please do so.

I find it oddly fascinating the lengths people will go to in order to be PC. They will excuse all manner of rude, dangerous and obnoxious behavior by basically saying, "Well, we Americans are even worse!" Or just as bad, or almost as bad, or whatever. Some kind of self-loathing thing I don't understand.

I've said before, I'll say again: It matters not one whit what culture or country one comes from, this behavior is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Stop rationalizing it. Better yet, ask yourselves why you feel compelled to do so.

People have the right to vacation when they wish; they should not have to consider whether or not they will be subjected to rude, dangerous, wildly inconsiderate behavior while doing so. So the months of July and January are off limits? And if people do go, and their children are hurt or terrified, it is their own fault? Really?

Disney has an tacit obligation to do all they can to see to it that ALL guests are able to safely and reasonably enjoy their experience without feeling as if their children are being endangered or having their sleep interrupted by soccer balls bouncing off of their windows.

Disney can fix this, and to not do so is very disrespectful. Limit the size of the groups. Hold chaperones and the sponsoring group and the parental units of these youths accountable. Any touring group, of any region or locale, should be made to sign that they agree and understand the rules and resultant consequences of non-compliance. A Code of Conduct, to ensure the safety of their young guests, blah blah blah.

I'm old school; I hold any child over the age of 7 accountable for their behavior. I have sent children off to various sporting contests in the company of chaperones and have not had any report of violations by them. Trust and believe that there would have been unholy heck to pay if I had. Being able to go to an event or location like Pop Warner week or the Junior Nationals or WDW just for fun is a PRIVILEGE, not a right, and my children were taught to represent the values they were taught at home; courtesy, respect and humility. In or out of my sight. Period. I do not work hard to allow them the privilege of going some place, only to have them run amok, then excuse it because "Kids will be kids" or "that's just how we roll; it's a culture of Texas thing, y'all--we line cut, chant, mob and crawl over balconies at 4 am." Would we get a pass on this behavior? I think not.

What stuff and nonsense. Yes, kids will be kids. But: Pray tell, when do we get around to teaching these kids to become responsible, considerate adults?

Here's a hint from a mother of five successful, well-adjusted adults, and the grandmother of 4 small children that are a genuine pleasure to be around: it starts at birth.

Rant over.

Peace.

(love this one)
(not too bad)
(idk why people say these groups are annoying)
(a parade got called off, i mean pfft, it isn't THAT bad)

note: please take this with a grain of salt

I am glad you showed these videos as it actualy showed that these groups, although large, are pretty well behaved. I saw a video of a large, well organized group picture outside Magic Kingdom. I saw a large group that was orderly entering Philharmagic. There were times when the groups were singing and chanting, but never did I see any pushing, shoving, running over others, or line-cutting. There were groups of teens and chaperones having a great time. Again, thanks for the videos.

Yeah, mister morrow, but at least they had FLAGS! So they had that going for them.

I'm gonna rant. I love you all, but someone has to say this stuff, so here goes:

If someone wants to post a video of Pop Warner cheerleaders causing a parade to be cancelled, or performing a Pop Warner cheerleaders versus Little League boosters chant off which effectively takes the area hostage to their idiocy, please do so.

I find it oddly fascinating the lengths people will go to in order to be PC. They will excuse all manner of rude, dangerous and obnoxious behavior by basically saying, "Well, we Americans are even worse!" Or just as bad, or almost as bad, or whatever. Some kind of self-loathing thing I don't understand.

I've said before, I'll say again: It matters not one whit what culture or country one comes from, this behavior is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Stop rationalizing it. Better yet, ask yourselves why you feel compelled to do so.

People have the right to vacation when they wish; they should not have to consider whether or not they will be subjected to rude, dangerous, wildly inconsiderate behavior while doing so. So the months of July and January are off limits? And if people do go, and their children are hurt or terrified, it is their own fault? Really?

Disney has an tacit obligation to do all they can to see to it that ALL guests are able to safely and reasonably enjoy their experience without feeling as if their children are being endangered or having their sleep interrupted by soccer balls bouncing off of their windows.

Disney can fix this, and to not do so is very disrespectful. Limit the size of the groups. Hold chaperones and the sponsoring group and the parental units of these youths accountable. Any touring group, of any region or locale, should be made to sign that they agree and understand the rules and resultant consequences of non-compliance. A Code of Conduct, to ensure the safety of their young guests, blah blah blah.

I'm old school; I hold any child over the age of 7 accountable for their behavior. I have sent children off to various sporting contests in the company of chaperones and have not had any report of violations by them. Trust and believe that there would have been unholy heck to pay if I had. Being able to go to an event or location like Pop Warner week or the Junior Nationals or WDW just for fun is a PRIVILEGE, not a right, and my children were taught to represent the values they were taught at home; courtesy, respect and humility. In or out of my sight. Period. I do not work hard to allow them the privilege of going some place, only to have them run amok, then excuse it because "Kids will be kids" or "that's just how we roll; it's a culture of Texas thing, y'all--we line cut, chant, mob and crawl over balconies at 4 am." Would we get a pass on this behavior? I think not.

What stuff and nonsense. Yes, kids will be kids. But: Pray tell, when do we get around to teaching these kids to become responsible, considerate adults?

Here's a hint from a mother of five successful, well-adjusted adults, and the grandmother of 4 small children that are a genuine pleasure to be around: it starts at birth.

Rant over.

Peace.
Well said i totaly agree.. Either the kids, tour groups etc.. Play by the rules or they go home..

Id like to see some of those tour groups break in front of my wife... They would have to call the national guard, because there would be fireworks:yay::yay:

smidgy, I am afraid I would have a tough time returning after being spoken to that way by a CM--yours was not a "petty" complaint, and the response of the CM was horrific. Just wondering--did you ever go further up the customer service chain with this issue? I'd be curious how they handled it.

LOL, smidgy @ "How bad can it be?" Every single time I embark on a disaster those are the exact words I use just prior to finding out just how bad it can be. American Airlines? How bad can it be? Sea World at Spring Break--how bad can it be? All you can eat Chinese seafood buffet near the underpass of I-35--how bad can it be? Answer: Bad. Crazy bad.:crazy2:

PS: smdigy, I'm going to have to check out your trip reports--I'm a trip report junkie and yours have very clever (without trying too hard) titles!

AW THANKS but my hubby nebo is the trip report writer!

Does anyone know why 90% of these groups are female? Very few teenage boys with the groups. Also I have seen no all male groups during my visit this week.
Our bus driver the other day gave us some background info on these groups. She said large groups of 15 year old girls come from Brazil to celebrate their 15th birthday because it's a big deal there. Like "sweet sixteen" is here only on a larger scale. They come with two or three adult chaperones for the entire group.

Our bus driver the other day gave us some background info on these groups. She said large groups of 15 year old girls come from Brazil to celebrate their 15th birthday because it's a big deal there. Like "sweet sixteen" is here only on a larger scale. They come with two or three adult chaperones for the entire group.

Correct. When my kids were younger, we had live in nannies. Two were from Brazil. A 15th birthday for a Brazilian girl is a BIG deal, they told us all about it. Going to WDW is what a lot of them ask for as a present. Parents who can afford it send them.

For me, it is what it is. If people want to try to turn a blind eye and say they never cause problems, fine. I don't think they are all problems, I don't think they're all bad kids, I don't think they behave badly all the time. But I've spent a lot of summer days in Disney, and unquestionably they can be very rude and disruptive in the parks. Much more so than one rogue electric wheelchair driver. The linking arms thing just becomes troublesome when they're trying to push through a line. Like BigRed said, they don't push past my wife or I, as we stand in front of our kids to protect them.

Yesterday, while I was working at Epcot, several of these very large groups arrived. I think there were six groups, I lost count. Anyway, while they were going through bag check, the ones already through didn't move away and they all started chanting and screaming right there between the bag check tables and the metal detector. Several security CMs descended upon them and basically herded them towards the park entrance, at which point the group leaders began to throw a fit because they were trying to get everyone to assemble in their assigned groups. Some of the 'super greeters' had to come over and sort it all out. I'm glad they're not my job to deal with.

Yesterday, while I was working at Epcot, several of these very large groups arrived. I think there were six groups, I lost count. Anyway, while they were going through bag check, the ones already through didn't move away and they all started chanting and screaming right there between the bag check tables and the metal detector. Several security CMs descended upon them and basically herded them towards the park entrance, at which point the group leaders began to throw a fit because they were trying to get everyone to assemble in their assigned groups. Some of the 'super greeters' had to come over and sort it all out. I'm glad they're not my job to deal with.
Every CM that does have to deal with them envies you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter