• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those folks driving!

Hi- we are traveling from NJ on August 12th to Fort Lauderdale then back to Disney on August 16th. We will be leaving after work and driving to Maryland for an overnight with my mom and leave around 4 am on the 13th.

I would like to take a scenic route to Florida from Maryland. We drive down yearly. These are our details:

DH- 38
Me - 37
DS - 10
Max and Ruby - 16 months, Ruby will be 1 on this trip. They are not humans, but our dogs, Lhasas who will be checking into Best Friends when we check into the Yacht Club.

We always drive straight down 95 and stay in GA or SC depending on our mood. We'd like to take a more scenic view to Fort Lauderdale and then the most direct way to Disney.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Rachael

This area is notorious for catching speeders. It not unusal to see 5-6 sheriff cars parked there just wait for those speeders.
Did not see any last week though.

i got a speeding ticket on sunday.. after you go through the magic kingdom gates, and go on that road towards the polynesian/contemp/wilderness.. they were sitting there doing laser. nabbed me and about 5 other people just in the time i was having my ticket written.

Rachel have you used Best Friends before? We took a tour this past Monday and OMG what a nice place. Your dogs may not want to leave. They have tv's for dogs, bed time stories.

Hi- we are traveling from NJ on August 12th to Fort Lauderdale then back to Disney on August 16th. We will be leaving after work and driving to Maryland for an overnight with my mom and leave around 4 am on the 13th.

I would like to take a scenic route to Florida from Maryland. We drive down yearly. These are our details:

DH- 38
Me - 37
DS - 10
Max and Ruby - 16 months, Ruby will be 1 on this trip. They are not humans, but our dogs, Lhasas who will be checking into Best Friends when we check into the Yacht Club.

We always drive straight down 95 and stay in GA or SC depending on our mood. We'd like to take a more scenic view to Fort Lauderdale and then the most direct way to Disney.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Rachael

@Shelly- This will be their first time boarding. I am really excited about it. I'm glad they let customers tour. I am happier and more at ease having them near by.

We always drive S. I95 from Jersey. It gets pretty boaring. Anyone have a good alt?

If driving time is not an issue, take the ferry from Cape May across the Delaware Bay to Lewes, Delaware. Then take Rt 9 (west?) to Rt 13 south and cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge into Virginia. From there either make your way west along Rt 58 to get back onto I-95, or continue south on Rt 17, hugging the coastal areas amd passing through Charleston, SC, until you reach I-95 just north of Savannah, GA.

We ventured off I-95 along Rt 58 in Va one year on the way home, crossing the Bay Bridge & then continuing north on Rt 13 until reaching I-95. That detour added an additional two hours of driving time to our normal route taking I-95 all the way to I-476 just south of Philadelphia. I have no idea how much time the Rt 17 route will add to a trip, but I've heard it is a nice scenic drive.

We are driving for the 1st time this year just to save a little extra $$. We are leaving from MD's Eastern Shore on Aug 5. We are going to drive until we feel like quitting. I figure we will get to at least Brunswick, GA but maybe further. Our teens are 19 & 16 so we do have 4 drivers. If we leave at 4 am, will that put us in DC right at rush hour? If not DC, I'm afraid we may hit traffic at Richmond. We were going to leave at 6 am, but my kids are now talking about going all the way & staying around DTD on Fri night. We check into CSR on the 6th. Any thoughts?

We are driving for the 1st time this year just to save a little extra $$. We are leaving from MD's Eastern Shore on Aug 5. We are going to drive until we feel like quitting. I figure we will get to at least Brunswick, GA but maybe further. Our teens are 19 & 16 so we do have 4 drivers. If we leave at 4 am, will that put us in DC right at rush hour? If not DC, I'm afraid we may hit traffic at Richmond. We were going to leave at 6 am, but my kids are now talking about going all the way & staying around DTD on Fri night. We check into CSR on the 6th. Any thoughts?

I've been on I-95 approaching D.C. at 6:00 am and have been slowed by a lot of traffic. We now always hit that area at about 3:00 am and sail through without any delays, and also make it through Richmond well before the morning rush hour starts. As far as driving straight through I think you can easily make it with four drivers. When we drive down I basically go Commando (driving that is), usually only needing a 30 min power nap after breakfast due to the food coma. Our trip (including stops for food, gas, and restrooms) takes about 15-1/2 hours and we usually arrive at our resort around 3:30 pm with no traffic issues except fro a short delay on I-4 between Universal & WDW.

I am driving down from the Boston area. I like to have the second day of our drive be a lot shorter then the first. I have had the worst luck with hotels in the past. Can someone suggest a place to stay off 95 in South Carolina or Gorgia area? I'm just looking for rest. Clean and cheap are the most importent.

I am driving down from the Boston area. I like to have the second day of our drive be a lot shorter then the first. I have had the worst luck with hotels in the past. Can someone suggest a place to stay off 95 in South Carolina or Gorgia area? I'm just looking for rest. Clean and cheap are the most importent.

You can stay in Santee SC, which has some nice hotels. I believe they all offer breakfast and the room prices are all reasonable. If you can push on for another hour of driving, try the GA Gateway. I believe its about 3 exits into GA. They have allot of hotels, gas stations, and food options right along side the highway.

You can stay in Santee SC, which has some nice hotels. I believe they all offer breakfast and the room prices are all reasonable. If you can push on for another hour of driving, try the GA Gateway. I believe its about 3 exits into GA. They have allot of hotels, gas stations, and food options right along side the highway.

Thank you, I will check that out now. :thumbsup2

There are several Marriott brand hotels and a Hilton Garden Inn off exit 160 around Florence, SC. Although I've never stayed at any of these I've never had a bad experience at any of these brands.

Hey! I don't have to drive slow because I can't wait to get to the Disney and also there is no work in progress on the road. :cool1:

Why not consider shooting all the way down the Delmarva and skip DC altogether?

ETA: I see you're pretty far up in MD, so never mind!

I think we stayed in Savannah (from Western Mass.), lt was right off the highway at the Best Western. As far as I'm concerned I can always trust a Best Western. Nothing Fancy, and a little noisy but fine for what we needed (family w/kids). The doors are where you just pull your car up to your room, so we just work out of our car, since we're just looking for a quick sleep, meal and showers. Also, it has a Denny's. No ressies, just popped in, about 8:30 pm. No problem with occupancy (August). Also, gave us a coupon for each of us to get a free breakfast at the Denny's which is inside it. I said, well we're leaving real early (since we leave at like 2:30 am -3 am to avoid traffic) and she said "well, just go have your free breakfast now, for supper, as it is a 24 hour Denny's. So we were happy and fed, and rested and arrived at CSR at like 8:30 am or maybe even a little earlier, getting through Jacksonville traffic. (I just hate the Jacksonville construction twists and turns at rush hour!).

Just to mention it, the way back is a little tricky with traffic, but we find if we leave early enough we can get to Richmond, VA and stop (again) at the Best Western there and leave early enough the next morning to get by (some) fo the traffic, like DC and MD. Still hit the NJ turnpike traffic though.

I've been on I-95 approaching D.C. at 6:00 am and have been slowed by a lot of traffic. We now always hit that area at about 3:00 am and sail through without any delays, and also make it through Richmond well before the morning rush hour starts. As far as driving straight through I think you can easily make it with four drivers. When we drive down I basically go Commando (driving that is), usually only needing a 30 min power nap after breakfast due to the food coma. Our trip (including stops for food, gas, and restrooms) takes about 15-1/2 hours and we usually arrive at our resort around 3:30 pm with no traffic issues except fro a short delay on I-4 between Universal & WDW.

Exactly what we did last week. Left at midnight and sailed through DC and Richmond. Didn't hit any traffic until I4 west of Orlando but it also was pouring rain which didn't help. Didn't like the drive though, too many drivers strolling along the left lane. It gets aggravating after a while!

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Jacksonville off of I-95? We will be driving August 13th, on past visits we have stayed overnight in Brunswick, GA but wanted to get closer. Also how long will the drive be from Jacksonville to DW? Thanks for your help :)

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Jacksonville off of I-95? We will be driving August 13th, on past visits we have stayed overnight in Brunswick, GA but wanted to get closer. Also how long will the drive be from Jacksonville to DW? Thanks for your help :)

Get off at Phillips Hwy and there is a Super 8 there that is/was (haven't been there in a year or so) OR go to a Microtel. They are always clean.

Hi my parents are driving to WDW the last week of Sept without stopping. Well only for gas and bathroom. They are leaving on a Friday around 3pm from Phila area I believe they are taking 95. Does anyone know how long it shoul take them and what are their chances of running into traffic in DC?

Hi my parents are driving to WDW the last week of Sept without stopping. Well only for gas and bathroom. They are leaving on a Friday around 3pm from Phila area I believe they are taking 95. Does anyone know how long it shoul take them and what are their chances of running into traffic in DC?

They WILL hit traffic in Baltimore and in DC. They would be better off leaving earlier in the day or later at night.

We left from north central WV once at around 11:00pm and made it to Wilderness Lodge right around 3:00-4:00pm for check-in. We stopped for a few short naps here and there, and for potty breaks, and for breakfast and lunch.

We felt like we made excellent time, broke the drive up enough to be comfortable, and added an extra night at WDW to our trip! We had planned to leave early the next morning and stay 1/2 way at a hotel - but I really got the 'bug' to leave - and we did!

It was a GREAT drive, didn't hit morning or evening rush hour traffic... ANYWHERE!

If I were them, I would definitely change my departure time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter