For those folks driving!

I love going to Disney World with the family, we all pack up our Rv and head down for a week vacation.

We are driving for the first time also. We are in Southern NH and we are traveling Easter weekend (ugh, just realized today that this means holiday traffic). The plan at the moment is to leave NH at 6pm and drive to my sisters house in Hartford CT. It will likely take 3 hours on the Mass Pike due to holiday traffic. We will spend the night there and leave there at 3 or 4AM. We will do the bulk of our driving on Saturday. I would like to get to at least Savannah before stopping for the night. We will finish the drive on Easter Sunday and hopefully to our rental home around lunch time.

Do this sound like a good plan?

Here's a tip that could save you some valuable time. Get off the Mass Pike @ Exit 10 in Auburn(instead of Exit 9 in Sturbridge). Take Rt. 20 West....it runs parallel to the pike. There are traffic lights, etc, but you can travel 40-50 mph, rather than bumper-to-bumper. Those same 10 miles can take 2-3 hours on the pike, if you hit it at the wrong time. When you get into Sturbridge, there is a left exit for 84 West towards Hartford.

Take it from a local, that section of the Mass Pike is off limits on ANY weekend, nevermind a holiday!!

Hello, I have just discovered this thread :thumbsup2. Lots of helpful information, thank you all!
Is there a thread where people post traffic info as they drive to Orlando? I thought with today's Technology (phones, i-pads, etc) plus free wi-fi in so many places, would be great to read it and post on it for others when we drive to Orlando next week...

we are driving from cleveland ohio, if you took i77 all the way down to s. carolina, how much were the tolls? it doesnt say, and i am not sure where to find that info... thanks!!!!!!!

Here's a tip that could save you some valuable time. Get off the Mass Pike @ Exit 10 in Auburn(instead of Exit 9 in Sturbridge). Take Rt. 20 West....it runs parallel to the pike. There are traffic lights, etc, but you can travel 40-50 mph, rather than bumper-to-bumper. Those same 10 miles can take 2-3 hours on the pike, if you hit it at the wrong time. When you get into Sturbridge, there is a left exit for 84 West towards Hartford.

Take it from a local, that section of the Mass Pike is off limits on ANY weekend, nevermind a holiday!!

I totally agree!! I am from the area as well and the holiday traffic can be a nightmare!!

We will be driving down next Friday from Maryland (DC area). We plan on leaving around 6pm and driving straight through. The hope is that DS (7) and DD (7) will fall asleep around 10pm and sleep until we get to Florida in the am.

Any idea how long it "really" takes --- mapquest says 14 hours, but that is on 95...which I know is notorious around the Richmond area. (We drive to Charleston every summer and it usually takes us 12 hrs)

Does anyone know if 14 hrs DC - WDW is accurate?

Any suggestion for an alternative route?

We drive yearly from Long Island NY- We found the best way to do it is leave Saturday morning around 6am. We arrive in Jacksonville usually between 7-9pm and kick back and have dinner and when we wake up we are only 2 hrs away! This is the best way since we do not lose sleep.wake to early or drive at night. We do 6 nights and then spend day 7 visiting resorts,dtd and enjoy things one last time then we start driving back home after 5. It saves on the hotel fee,we lose no time at wdw and we drive back sat get home sun or drive staright through depending on traffic.

We are driving from NJ and are planning on leaving the same time- 6am. Since you do this a lot - have any tips? How is the traffic in DC and the Carolinas? We thought we get into at least Georgia but you make all the way to Florida!! Would love any advice! Thx

Leaving ME (south of Portland) on 4/15. Need to check in at WDW POR on 4/16. We have 3 kiddos (ages 3,5 and 8). Wondering which route would be best and where to stop. The kids are usually good travelers and will sleep well in the car. DH and I are okay with leaving home around 1 or 2 am if needed to get as far as possible on day 1. Would like minimal driving on day 2. Should we leave on the 15th at 1 or 2 am, or leave on the 14th early afternoon and make it as far as possible...? First time drivers and need all the help I can get. :confused3

I'm leaving in the 15th also, but from RI. From what I've read on these Boards I'm going to try to avoid Route 95 through NYC/NJ and take Route 81 or 77 (or both. I'm sooo confused:scared1:) and then hooking up with Route 95 somewhere

Last year we left RI about 3:00 a.m. and arrived in Fayetville, NC about 2:30 p.m. after many many stops. Fayetville has plenty of nice hotels. I kick myself for not travelling just a bit further. But the kids (dd12, ds11 and ds6) had enough for one day. The next morning we left Fayetville about 7:00 a.m. ish, hit South of the Border for breakfast-We were the only ones there and now I know why. Again, numerous stops and made it to Orlando by about 2:30 p.m.

I-81 through Virginia is a popular way for those in the Northeast to get to WDW. The following WILL affect your drive:
= = =

0411_81Widening600.gif

Proceed with caution I-81 section headed for more than 2 years of road work

One of the most challenging stretches of Interstate 81 in Southwest Virginia is about to get even more precarious.

Crews have begun widening the Christiansburg Mountain pass from two to three lanes in the southbound direction.

Highway officials are committed to keeping traffic moving safely during the massive digging and blasting project but have found it necessary to close long sections of the right shoulder over a 5-mile stretch. Both lanes are expected to stay open for most of the construction, scheduled to last two and a half years.

The section of highway brings 23,000 southbound motorists a day over hills and around curves. Driving alongside concrete barricades that separate work crews from traffic will add to the challenge.

Barriers have already reduced the right shoulder to little more than the width needed for rumble strips. The left shoulder is already that narrow.

Although several turnouts are planned, drivers will have less room for error.

"It's going to be a nightmare," said Buck Blevins, an instructor at New River Valley Driving School in Christiansburg.

"If somebody breaks down or there's a wreck, it's going to shut the whole highway down," he said.

Plus, the driving experience will change, he said.

Some motorists are going to get the closed-in feeling that comes from having a short wall a few feet away, fraying nerves.

Unlike in Rockbridge County, where the speed limit has been cut to 55 mph because of a similar project, this stretch of I-81 will remain posted at 65 mph.

Officials will revisit the limit if needed, said Heidi Underwood, a spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of Transportation.

"Safety of the traveling public and the safety of the teams on the job is a very high priority," Underwood said.

This is a safety project, in fact, and one of the outcomes will be massive shoulders.

(Read more at http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/282956)

I normally drive down from South Jersey. I normally leave here by 3am sharp and can get to WDW by 4-5pm. I don't really stop and eat or stretch its mostly get gas and keep on moving. I feel the real trick is to get thru the DC area ASAP the highway is normally empty thru most of VA, SC, NC and builds up as you get into GA and FL. The earlier you leave the better.

Someone mentioned driving around Richmond and there is and alternate loop that goes around the city. There are plenty of signs forewarning you and showing you the loop.

My favorite road stops are Santee, SC Best Western( ~90$) and Savanahh Gateway, GA Best Western(~60). I have had great service and rooms at both spots.

Just got back last night. We drove down from Chicago to WDW 4-15. We drove through a hail storm/tornado watch in GA. We woke up to tornado sirens going off in Macon Ga. Once we got to Orlando gorgeous weather. We left Chicago at 4am drove to Macon got in around 5pm stayed at the Best Western nice, clean had 2 beds and a pull out couch, free breakfast including make your own waffles and an indoor pool that the kids blew off steam from the ride in. We left the next morning got to Bay Lake Towers at 2 and our room wasn't ready until 3. We stayed a few days at the beach so the ride back was from Vero Beach, left at 3am drove to Caryville TN (13hrs) and stayed at the great family owned Hampton Inn (very nice, on a lake overlooking the smokey mountains) another free breakfast. We left at 9am and were home to Chicago 4pm. No traffic, no delays (except the hailstorm in GA. freaky, couldn't see the car in front of us!) Good luck to all drivers have a safe journey!:goodvibes

So I was looking for hotels for our stop hopefully somewhere in SC and realized (when all the hotels were booked) that there's a race at Darlington on the 7th (qualifying & smaller races on the 6th).

I'm hoping we can make it to Santee - seems to be far enough away to still have plenty of hotels open.

Any ideas on time from basically Hartford, CT to Santee, SC? Mapquest says 14. We'll be driving overnight - leaving MA (on CT border) probably around 9pm.

So I was looking for hotels for our stop hopefully somewhere in SC and realized (when all the hotels were booked) that there's a race at Darlington on the 7th (qualifying & smaller races on the 6th).

I'm hoping we can make it to Santee - seems to be far enough away to still have plenty of hotels open.

Any ideas on time from basically Hartford, CT to Santee, SC? Mapquest says 14. We'll be driving overnight - leaving MA (on CT border) probably around 9pm.

You should have no problem making Santee in 13-14 hours, depending how you drive and rest stop you may take. We drove down from Ffld county and hit Santee in 12 1/2 hours

Thank you for sharing this link. For people who's bad with directions, like me speaking, they would need a guide like this. It's good that the site shows tips and some insights about traveling to Disney World, Florida.
Usually, I rent a car each time I travel. For one reason, I'm bad with directions. But even though I get a driver, it doesn't mean that I'm safe with it. I still have to be aware where the driver takes me. This guide (link) serves as my tool from now on. Great use for me knowing that my family loves to travel and visit Disney! :)

I'm from Philly, and I've always loved the drive down the Delmarva penninsula to VA. Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is great! If I were to drive, I would try that way, if only to get off of I95 for a few hours. Once you hit Norfolk, cut back west to 95. Traffic on this route has improved over the years with road improvements. I drive to the outer banks every summer.

i got a speeding ticket on sunday.. after you go through the magic kingdom gates, and go on that road towards the polynesian/contemp/wilderness.. they were sitting there doing laser. nabbed me and about 5 other people just in the time i was having my ticket written.

we are driving from cleveland ohio, if you took i77 all the way down to s. carolina, how much were the tolls? it doesnt say, and i am not sure where to find that info... thanks!!!!!!!

We are taking the same route...curious also. I only found a couple of websites that listed tolls in specific area WV (Beckley Area). I wish there were more specific info on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgleine View Post

We are taking the same route...curious also. I only found a couple of websites that listed tolls in specific area WV (Beckley Area). I wish there were more specific info on this...

I don't know about the beginning of your route, but there are no tolls at all on I-77 from Virginia until it ends in South Carolina.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter