For those folks driving!

Seems like a lot of people are crazy enough to do this from the Chicago area. We have been thinking about it but I am really worried my kids will go insane and we will be exhausted! My kids would be turning 8 (while we are there), 6 and 4. I have done the drive many times before I had kids (parents used to live in florida). But I have not done the drive at all in about 10 years. Do you leave in the evening (like 8 pm) and drive all night so the kids sleep? Or sleep some yourselves and leave in the middle of the night (like 3 am?). Not sure how to do this. And are you exhausted when you get there? And I am really worried about the trip back! I know it is such a boring ride from IL. Nothing exciting to see, but I will admit my kids have never really seen any other parts of the country so this could be good for them???

Also, do you have to pay for parking in the parks when you are staying at a disney hotel? We want to stay at port orleans. I don't remember.

We drove almost straight through. We live near the US/Canadian border and have 4 kids under 12. Our last trip we left around 4pm and I drove for about 7ish hours. Got to Hazelton, PA. Then hubby took over driving for a few hours while I slept. After that we switched back and forth while the other person napped. Kids had snacks and drinks in the back with them. Message me or reply on here and I can offer my tips that have worked and not worked...lol Anyhow we got to Kingsland, GA only because that I thought that since we've never driven overnight that we may have issues (and we did NOT)!!!

I've done this so many times I won't say 'cause it will give away my age;)

We come from the South Bend area, so the worst part of our trip is getting to Indy, from there it's straight down 65 to 24 to 75. It is around 18-20 hrs depending on stops, traffic, etc. We've stopped in Louisville, Chattanooga and Valdosta mostly depending on how we're breaking the trip up. We've also gone straight through. We did that most recently to get to IronKids in St pete and made it in about 17 hrs. I grew up with Triptiks so they are my preferred method and then I use the AAA ap on the iphone too.

Has anyone seen any hotel specials (ie Choice stay 2 nights get one free)? I'm trying to find some perk from our stop on the way down and back.

Also, do you have to pay for parking in the parks when you are staying at a disney hotel? We want to stay at port orleans. I don't remember.

Disney Hotel guests get free parking at all Disney parks - but we prefer the bus service, and only use our car to go off-property.

I grew up with Triptiks so they are my preferred method and then I use the AAA ap on the iphone too.

We used to love the 'vertical' flip Triptiks, so you could follow your route all the way down. But the new 'horizontal' generation of Triptik reads more like illustrated GPS instructions, only showing where you have to make turns. On our recent trip, there were parts of the drive where we couldn't see where we were on it because we were between instructions.

I got an iPad for Christmas, and I have to say the Maps app (pretty sure it's driven by Google Maps) was invaluable. On the way home to MA, we decided to avoid DE and NJ due to coastal snow there, so we used the iPad to plot a new route north from Baltimore via Harrisburg PA. We even found a hotel in Bethlehem PA on it, googled reviews, found places to eat... in short, it made our trip MUCH more enjoyable. [Now where's my check from Steve Jobs for this endorsement? :)]

I haven't used the AAA app, will have to check that out!

I've done this so many times I won't say 'cause it will give away my age;)

We come from the South Bend area, so the worst part of our trip is getting to Indy, from there it's straight down 65 to 24 to 75. It is around 18-20 hrs depending on stops, traffic, etc. We've stopped in Louisville, Chattanooga and Valdosta mostly depending on how we're breaking the trip up. We've also gone straight through. We did that most recently to get to IronKids in St pete and made it in about 17 hrs. I grew up with Triptiks so they are my preferred method and then I use the AAA ap on the iphone too.

Has anyone seen any hotel specials (ie Choice stay 2 nights get one free)? I'm trying to find some perk from our stop on the way down and back.

We have talked about doing the drive and will be doing it for real the end of March. I have 3 kids ages 6,4,1 and I will admit, I am scared! We live in the Mishawaka area. I am thinking perhaps leaving at 4pm ,stopping around Seymour or so to feed them and let them run a little bit and then pulling an overnighter. My husband and I were ( he still is) truck drivers and I know the route well, just hoping the kids will cooperate.

Is anyone driving from Oklahoma City? Just wondering how long it took them and if they drove straight thru or stopped for the night? This will be are first time driving...Any tips? Thanks

Leaving ME (south of Portland) on 4/15. Need to check in at WDW POR on 4/16. We have 3 kiddos (ages 3,5 and 8). Wondering which route would be best and where to stop. The kids are usually good travelers and will sleep well in the car. DH and I are okay with leaving home around 1 or 2 am if needed to get as far as possible on day 1. Would like minimal driving on day 2. Should we leave on the 15th at 1 or 2 am, or leave on the 14th early afternoon and make it as far as possible...? First time drivers and need all the help I can get. :confused3

So we've been to disney many times but never driven. Has anyone driven from SE Michigan? What route did you find the best? We would probably stop once or twice so as not to be completely dead at Disney. Thinking of stopping somewhere in Georgia. If anyone has any tips that would be awesome. :goodvibes

Driving from Texas in Dec, anyone know if the weahter get hairy that time of year? From Houston and not used to any snow or ice.

Also driving from Houston in dec, would like to stop and sleep for the night any suggestions?

We're surprising our daughter (6) this May with her first trip. We're planning on driving from MA (western, Springfield area). If we leave at 3am, we'd be in NYC around 5:30-6am and DC around probably 11am-ish (assuming we stop in NJ for breakfast)? Would that still be bad traffic-wise if we do I95? We've driven to DC, but only on the weekend.

We are planning on splitting the drive over 2 days. I have no clue how to figure out where I should either book a hotel or at least start a list of spots to look for that night. Is there anything online where I can put a trip in, some sort of average speed and have it tell me approx where we'll be after x number of hours? I'm sure I could just pull out a map and figure it all out, but I'm too lazy. :rotfl:

DD does well in the car. We've done 8+ hour days with her, so are hoping we can get a good 14hrs in the 1st day. As DH says "Burn and churn" as many of the miles as possible to have the 2nd day ride shorter.

Thanks! Been reading and reading and reading and reading ;) this thread, figured I should jump in!

We're surprising our daughter (6) this May with her first trip. We're planning on driving from MA (western, Springfield area). If we leave at 3am, we'd be in NYC around 5:30-6am and DC around probably 11am-ish (assuming we stop in NJ for breakfast)? Would that still be bad traffic-wise if we do I95? We've driven to DC, but only on the weekend.

We are planning on splitting the drive over 2 days. I have no clue how to figure out where I should either book a hotel or at least start a list of spots to look for that night. Is there anything online where I can put a trip in, some sort of average speed and have it tell me approx where we'll be after x number of hours? I'm sure I could just pull out a map and figure it all out, but I'm too lazy. :rotfl:

DD does well in the car. We've done 8+ hour days with her, so are hoping we can get a good 14hrs in the 1st day. As DH says "Burn and churn" as many of the miles as possible to have the 2nd day ride shorter.

Thanks! Been reading and reading and reading and reading ;) this thread, figured I should jump in!

Good luck. You may find this helpful

http://www.i95exitguide.com/

Welcome to the "driving" club...lol. We always drive for us its cheaper and fun. I usually make sure to have plenty of snacks and drinks (bottled water and juice box-NO sugar kind). I also have an ipod or mp3 player for the older kids. I have some travel journals for them with some colouring pages (age approperiate) and some various other "work" sheets.

Anybody have any secrets for getting around the Daytona 500 weekend traffic? I just started a thread and asked about alternate routes I-10 to I-75 or taking I-17. My wife was doing some research and heard the traffic was a nightmare. Any info anyone can provide on these routes or any other routes if there are any would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris

BTW we have been driving since 2005, it is the only way to get there (besides AUTO TRAIN).

We are in southern Rhode Island and greatly prefer to avoid 95. We catch 84W to 81S. We then take 77 in southern Virginia to Rte 26 in Columbia, SC, then onto 95 from there. Easy, fast, beautiful drive. Traffic a non-issue basically. About 100 miles longer for us, but worth the trade off avoiding the cities. We used to wing it on the hotels, now we know how far we'll get and book a hotel (with a 6 p.m. same day cancellation) where we want to be. Alternatively, look for a few of the chains you like, and get numbers for their locations along your route, covering a 200 mile range or so. I really like to know the cities we'll stop in as their have a been a couple of random stops we really wish we hadn't made ;) 14 hours is the limit we now have, having done the non-stop drives. They simply weren't worth it to us in the long run. Good luck! Have fun! A little planning goes a long way, you won't regret it.

Try Google Maps. Punch in your route, punch in where you'd LIKE to be on the first night. It'll give you an idea of time usually going the posted limit. You also have the ability to drag the route to another highway. You can probably make it to Charlotte, NC in 14 hours, depending on the number of stops, with this route. Charlotte to WDW is 550 miles- about 9-10 hours. Been there, done that...many times :)

We are in southern Rhode Island and greatly prefer to avoid 95. We catch 84W to 81S. We then take 77 in southern Virginia to Rte 26 in Columbia, SC, then onto 95 from there. Easy, fast, beautiful drive. Traffic a non-issue basically. About 100 miles longer for us, but worth the trade off avoiding the cities.

Thanks! I've been toying w/ that route. I think I'm just going to tell DH that's the route and figure everything from there.

Coming home, we'll be hitting the major north east cities on a Saturday. Still not entirely sure which way we'll go then.

What major areas in the south, should I worry about on our drive North? I figure we'll leave Disney around 10-11am on a Friday to avoid the Orlando rush hour.

Airfare is too outrageous for our family of 5 to fly so we are driving. We are going on 3/10. We've never driven this route 77 to 95. We drove 13 yrs ago from Lima, Ohio taking 75. Has anyone ever driven from the Cleveland area? What time should we leave to make it the best for the kids ages 4, 8, & 15? My husband wants to drive the whole way through. I'm not sure I want to keep the kids in the car that long and I hate to drive on highways. I will do it but I hate it. I just don't want us to drive the whole way through and then be exhausted the next day. If we would stop to rest, sleep and let the kids out of the van where should we stop? Are we going to end up in some mountains? My mom said something about mountains in one of the carolinas, I can't remember which or even if that's right, lol. I'm nervous if you can't tell. This will be our two youngest children's first trip to disney and I really want to make it fun and not miserable and stressful for us as well. HELP!!!

Have you ever considered taking the auto train in virginia..we live in the finger lakes region of NY and its about a 24 hr drive...but only 5 hrs to the auto train..we are taking it in June for the first time and looking forward to it

CUPCAKEBOWS: If you are going 77 through West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, you will be in the mountains in all 3 states. South of Charleston, WV through mid??? North Carolina, is ALL mountainous and you'll go through 2 tunnels under mountains. Fancy Gap Mtn at the border of VA/NC has gorgeous views if you're there when it's not foggy! Beware of fog. There was a huge pileup (due to ice) and truckers tend to go faster because they're used to the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter