• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those coming from the mid-atlantic region...

VolvoManiac850

Let's Go Bucs
If you're from Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, etc, and want to save big time on traveling, consider taking the Amtrak Auto Train.

The train boards in Lorton, Virginia (a few miles from Alexandria). It's not too far from major cities such as Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc and is very convenient for those in DC.

The auto train not only carries your party on an overnight train trip, it also transports your vehicle in a special car carrier. (If you have a motorcycle they can accommodate that as well). You'll get dinner and breakfast as part of the deal and can choose to stay in a coach car (similar to a tourbus) or a sleeper car (which converts to bunks similar to those in the army). There are lounge cars, movie showings, and power outlets on the train (many people bring laptops along and watch DVDs on them). The ride is pretty smooth and the train usually isn't overly noisy, so if you like to bring a good book along on a long trip this is the way to go. You'll meet people from all over the place when you dine and may even get to know the folks around you in your car.

The deal is incredible. With one ticket (which is pretty reasonable) you get two meals, transportation, and lodging. You also can take as much luggage as your car can hold (a big advantage over traditional trains or airplanes) and don't have to worry about a rental car.

There are very few drawbacks. One is that there is very little to do in Lorton, VA if you spend the night. (If you do I recommend eating at the Polo Grill, which is excellent, and staying at the Comfort Inn near the station). The other is that brushing your teeth on a moving train can be quite a challenge...

The train usually stops around midnight so drivers can be changed. Get to the bathrooms at that time for the night and all will be fine.

I should also mention that the staff is top notch. I fell ill the day I left Disney this year and the staff was able to tend to me by finding a doctor on the train and had said they would have made a stop had I needed to go to a hospital. They were able to accommodate me very well and I wrote them a personal thank you letter when I got home. Major props to the folks at Amtrak for this!!!

I've taken the Auto Train four times now and will definitely take it again on my next vacation. It's fun and is an incredible way to save money over driving (costly hotel rooms!) and especially flying.

I just love the Autotrain! I taken it about 25 times now, and I always look forwards to the trip. I won't fly (I get sick :sick: on planes) so the Autotrain is a great solution. And the funny thing is, I have a hard time justifying driving to Disney anymore. With gas so high plus a hotel night, it would cost over $200 to drive the 20 hours to Disney. I go solo, and I can usually get the Autotrain in coach in the $260 range, so for just a $60 difference, I can avoid 15 hours of driving, and get relax and sleep and let Amtrak do the driving. And the safety factor is huge, as I won't be driving alone for the 15 hours and 900 miles. The Autotrain is a no-brainer to someone like me. :)

My next Autotrain trip is next month - can't wait! This time I am splurging with a sleeper, so it's going to be a very fun relaxing ride! :cool:

I have considered this but for our family of 5 it is generally cheaper (not to mention faster) to fly. We don't need our car at WDW as we use their buses for transportation to the parks. And I hate losing a day each way for travel. But that is just our preference. Plus, we live in PA so It would be a long drive just to get to VA>

The drive to Disney/Florida/Vacation isn't bad - the drive home is a NIGHT MARE! It always rains, there is always traffic, and 'life' is waiting for you like the grimreaper.

I found GREAT airfares the last few years (59$) and FANTASTIC rates for rental cars at thrifty.com (99$ for midsize week). Couldnt go this year :(
But last year we definatey consented - it was cheaper to fly then to drive!

Hopefully I will get the opportunity to go back in the next few years, I am glad to read such POSITIVE reviews, with prices of air/fuel soaring, may consider auto-train again at that time.

Thank you.

Just hope you dont hit a tree on the tracks on your way down and you dont arrive until 6pm and that your return train isnt cancelled and you have to drive home

Nice review. We've thought about taking the auto train UP to the Lorton stop from Sanford to tour the DC and Virginia areas rather than driving up since airfare is often crazy these days. It will definitely be an option we'll consider (hopefully next fall).

We are taing the Auto Train on our next trip. We paid extra to be on the lower deck in coach. We do use our car at WDW and can get off enought time to not eat up days going and returning.

We took the Autotrain this year & HIGHLY recommend it! yes- it adds a little more time to your trip but the adventure is worth it. We left after school on a Wednesday & drove out to Penn & stayed overnight - then we drove to Lorton the next day & boarded the train & the next day we were in Florida - we had fun looking at all the different licenses plates on our trip, driving through Quantico, walking on the train, meeting different people. It was a thrill - we are definitely going to do it again.

The only way I would consider it is for the "adventure" of it.

It is far from here 6hour drive plus you lose two whole days of precious vacation time. And that is if there are no delays! And even if we pay for parking and a rental, it is cheaper for us to fly generally (3 adults, 1 child and I usually get GREAT rates out of Philly) and I get there so much faster. About the only advantage to the train is the luggage thing.

I don't mind flying though so my opinion may be jaded.

I live about 35 miles south of Lorton. I've always wanted to try it and we will someday, but it's more expensive than driving and flying.

I never really thought to take the train, but it's starting to look like a much more relaxing idea! At first I thought we'd lose a whole day by taking the train, but we lose a whole day in the airports and security anyway!

Thanks for the tip!

I never really thought to take the train, but it's starting to look like a much more relaxing idea! At first I thought we'd lose a whole day by taking the train, but we lose a whole day in the airports and security anyway!

Thanks for the tip!

I took the auto train last Dec so I could take my scooter. I had a compartment with bathrooms as I'd heard the bathrooms can get pretty nasty. If you are Pooh sized like me, lots of luck in the bathroom! MUCH tighter than an airplane bathroom. :rolleyes1

It cost me over $1500 and since it got dark so early, I couldn't see anything out the windows. My car steering wheel was absolutely back. I had to pull over and wash it with gobs of stuff coming off. Traffic coming home from Lorton to Maryland took 2 1/2 hours because of an accident; we never went over 8 mph for over an hour.

If I did it again, if I couldn't get an accessible room, I'd rather sit up in coach because I couldn't sleep going either directions.

Just MHO; I know people who enjoy the train.

We're taking our first trip to WDW in Nov. My husband refuses to fly, and I refuse to drive, so we're taking the autotrain. Can't wait!

We took the autotrain home (from Orlando to NJ) in July. There are four of us, and my DD9 and DS5 loved it. We bought coach seats and even with the price of gas and train tickets - it was cheaper than flying! My only complaint was the lack of road signs to get to the train station in Sanford. Would definitely do again, however.

Just my 2cents.
Karen;)

We'll be taking it for the third time this Oct/Nov. We enjoy it. We also live only 45 minutes from Lorton so easy trip for us and no overnight needed. We have friends who have taken it multiple times and they all enjoy the trip.

BTW, there are multiple threads about the Auto train on the Transportation board and lots of people know about it on here.

For directions to Sanford, just google it. It's what I did and the directions were perfect. Also, at the Sanford station they usually hand out a map.

OP sounds like an paid advertisement.

The only way I would consider it is for the "adventure" of it.

It is far from here 6hour drive plus you lose two whole days of precious vacation time. And that is if there are no delays! And even if we pay for parking and a rental, it is cheaper for us to fly generally (3 adults, 1 child and I usually get GREAT rates out of Philly) and I get there so much faster. About the only advantage to the train is the luggage thing.

I don't mind flying though so my opinion may be jaded.

Puff, 'Have you ever tried a Boscovs charter? We have used them three times and it is great. Direct flight, the plane leaves Reading, we leave Wilkes Barre, also have a Harrisburg one several times a year. It is only Boscov folks. We have stayed onsite in the values, 6 of us last fall for less then $2,800. We did buy our own tickets though.

I love that in less then 2 hours we are there.
Oh, They are not part of Boscov's, no scare of the finacially selling of Boscov's and their bankruptsy issues.
Dianne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter