For the $$$, where would YOU stay???

drtodd41

Earning My Ears
First off, thanks to EVERYONE for all of your replies and input on our upcoming trip. Me, my wife and 2 children (2 and 4) are making our FIRST journey to WDW from September 25-30th, 2011.

From your input, we have narrowed our selections down to 4 resorts. It seemed everyone agreed that a monorail resort would be best with a double stroller. Also, many of you commented that WL was a great deluxe value (although not on the monorail). Others highly recommended POFQ due to the price and compact layout.

So I have researched the prices per night for our stay. Here is what I found.

CR - $301
PR - $276
GF - $286
WL - $164
POFQ - $118

Money is definitely an issue for us, but for convenience and proximity to the parks, I am willing to pay any of the above prices. If money wasn't the issue, the CR would definitely be our first choice.

So which would YOU choose for your family and do you think any of the above prices of the deluxe resorts will EVER go lower than what I've found?

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

I would definitely stick with a monorail resort with two small children. They poop out fast in the Sept heat, so the convenience of being on the monorail to be able to make a fast break for the hotel from 2 of 4 parks is HUGE in my opinion. Seeing as it is your first trip, it those prices are within your means, make it as magical as you can!:cloud9: It doesn't get any better than watching the fireworks from the beach at Poly! Poly would be my choice!

My 1st choice would be rent DVC points and go for CR actually it would be BLT, but it wouldn't be much more than 180-200 a night renting points, (depending on season.)

If you are not good with that, or too short a dist out.. then ...

I think FQ is nearly a deluxe, with boat to DTD, some busses stop no where else if full, (other times shares only with POR).
The pool is fantastic and the QS is great. there is also within walking, or boat Boatwrights steak house. When I do not go on points, due to last minute, or not sure if I will need to cancel. I stay here. The rest I stay DVC.
For the price I think this is by far the best value. (except DVC.)

If renting points is not an option and you cannot help your self upgrading.. then PR is my choice. They as nice or nicer than CR and GF, no reason to pay more for the 3 of them. I would have a hard time picking CR and GF if they were less $per night, the fact that they are more is silly. (WF awaiting the scolding from a WL lover but .. is no upgrade from FQ in my opinion.) It is SO far from AK, Epcot and HS. Yes cloer to MK.. but FQ is central located. For the same price 100% I would pick FQ over WL.
GOOD luck.

Is the CR price for a tower room or a wing room? Generally the Poly comes in higher than a wing room at the CR was why I asked. The wing rooms at the CR are identical in decor to the tower rooms, you just have a short walk to the tower to catch the monorail. I prefer the CR for the convenience of walking to the MK with a stroller, we pretty much always stayed there when our girls are little. Also, are these rack rates? the reason I ask is you can usually get at least a AAA rate and in most cases either a general public code or you may get free disney dining plan if you book rack rate during that time period.

Okay, 2 key issues then.... prefer monorail resort and cost.

Then #1 would have to be PR. Personally, the CR just feels dated and sterile to me. YOu just don't feel engrossed in the "Magic" if that makes sense. The PR on the other hand, is saturated with the whole Disney feel to me.

Now if you don't mind taking the boat to MK rather than monorail (they are good for strollers as well), and you really need to save more $$, then WL is a no brainer. That is a great deal on a resort that has a deluxe feel at a moderate price.

Either way, you can't lose IMO! :thumbsup2

Those are exactly the dates we are going and we are staying at WL!

Are you using the public special offers code or a pin code? Because I was looking for a room for my sister and the standard WL rooms are no longer available those dates. The public offer only has a courtyard room for $198 or a Woods View bunkbed room for $205. The pin code I used got us a Woods View bunkbed room for $189 but there aren't any standard rooms left. So that might factor into your cost.

The CR room is a tower room- using the public code there aren't any wing rooms available.

My choice would be the Poly :). Out of the 5 resorts you listed, we have stayed at the Poly, GF, & WL and the Poly is our favorite ;). The tropical surroundings of the Poly makes for a relaxing stay and you can't beat having the beach to watch the fireworks :wizard:.

If I were you, for the price, I'd stay at the WL. The boat ride to MK was pretty convenient. Not a monorail resort, but still a nice option at a lower price. We went in early May in 2008 when my oldest was just under 3. A PP also mentioned renting points for BLT, which I agree is also a decent option, but there are some risks involved in renting IMO.

I have not stayed at a Deluxe because the cost is more than I am willing to consider. We stayed at POFQ with DD 5 and DS 2 and loved it. We had two strollers and never had problems with getting to and from anywhere. I would definitely recommend it for the cost. It is a great, compact resort. Everything is very close.

On another note, have you looked into the cost of the Swan and Dolphin? It is much less expensive than the Deluxe Epcot resorts, but the location would be great for you. For the cost (or less) than a moderate, you could get a deluxe feeling resort with many of the benefits of the WDW resorts including EMH and you could walk or ride a boat to Epcot and DHS. After much research, the Dolphin is where we will be for our long stay next year. They also have great nurse, teacher, AAA, and/or govt. rates to lower the cost.

I too was surprised about the CR rate...Poly is usually higher. You can call the Disney reservation, maybe you have a PIN or can get one...we got a 40% off room rate (on a deluxe).

I vote for CR or Poly. We did Poly last time and it was wonderful...zero entry pool is great for the little ones and the atmosphere is beautiful. That said, we're trying CR this time, with a theme park view. I don't see how you can get much more of a Disney feel than waking up and looking out at Cinderella's castle every morning or having the monorail zipping right through your hotel :) We decided to spring for the extra TPV b/c the kids 6&7 (will be 6&8 at the time)...well they're growing up too fast and Disney might not always be as magical as it is now. Hopefully this will not be the case, but you never know!

My recommendation to you...check out the resort threads for each of your resort choices, they have lots of photos and info. Then make your best choice for your family :flower3: Planning for me is half the fun!

Also...Poly doesn't have covered walkways so we got drenched when it rained last time....:)

We have stayed at the CR and the Poly (we have visited the GF and the WL--they hold no interest to us at all); we've not done the POFQ (we choose another moderate), but we have visited and it is a very pretty resort.

Of the CR and the Poly, we definitely prefer the Poly for the theme, the rooms, the food, the pool, watching Wishes from the beach, and the friendliness of the CM's.

My vote is for WL :love:

With VISITS to CR/Poly/GF.

You'll boat over to CR from WL and catch the monorail from there to Poly/GF. You'll have access to character meals at any of those 3 monorail resorts, you can stroll through the tropical scenery at the Poly, take in the Luau (but I can't recommend for under 6yo), take in afternoon tea at GF (if you have frilly princesses that would like to dress up). What you save by staying at WL will more than pay for the fun splurges you can take in at the neighboring hotels.

Also, WL is all under one roof (which you'll appreciate when it rains) and has a small intimate feel when you don't have to trek out to get something.

Have a good trip, whatever you decide.

We have stayed at all the Deluxes and our favorite is Poly by FAR. However, we are doing our first points rental this year and staying at BLT in June. I love the location and we don't mind the CR. We like the location there and despite the sterile look, you have to remember, it was the "hotel of the future" to Walt. We are looking forward to it. Plus, if you do the CR, the main building is the place to go. If I were staying in a garden wing, it would be the Poly with a parking lot view anyday.

I would narrow it down further and then consult the resort specific thread on here for more info.

FWIW GF is our favorite resort for service level but when our kids were toddlers CR was always our choice. By looking at the prices I am guessing GF is a basic garden view and CR is Tower TPV. The TPV rooms are priceless with small children, the view is fabulous, you can watch the fireworks from your room and the walk is a short 5-10min from MK. WL is the "best deal" on your list, however, you will feel more enclosed as the rooms are and fell significantly smaller than CR.

I would still choose CR out of your list with WL in second. CR and WL win out over the others with small kids over other monorail resorts due to everything being under one room. No travel from outbuilding for dining, refilling mugs, getting to the monorail, etc.

I would highly recommend WL. That is an excellent price for that quality of hotel, and while it isn't on the monorail, there is a boat that brings you directly to MK, which is nice. What is also great about WL is that it is one complex, which is very nice if the weather isn't cooperating. It is a great resort for families, with a great ambiance, and has been my favorite resort since my first stay there in 1994. I would also recommend POFQ, because of the small size of the resort, and the great theming, but with such a small price difference between POFQ and WL, I would go with WL every time. Enjoy your trip!:thumbsup2

I'll weigh in for WL or POFQ. Either of them is economical and convenient in different ways. With small children, I would lean more toward WL, but our favorite resort is FQ overall. Where ever you decided, you will have a fantastic time!

Of the resorts you listed I've either stayed or visited each of them. By far my favorite is Poly. The smells, atmosphere, monorail, TTC, MK sounds in the background, nightly fireworks, beach, Kona, Ohana, Very Large Rooms if staying in Tokelau or Tahiti, etc. It is the best overall Disney Resort to me. As a matter of fact, it's the first Disney Resort my family and I stayed in. It's perfect for your family with the ages of your kids. As others have stated, the monorail is unmatched for quick returns to your room. Last time my family and I stayed, my youngest son was 2. And I can confirm that the monorail was VERY useful.

WL is tied with AKL at second for me. If it's Christmas time, I actually prefer the WL over Poly. The whole Mountain/Northwest Theme with the Fire Place and Christmas decorations is unmatched. The Lodge Resorts are also the best value of the Deluxe Resorts if attempting to save a few dollars.

POFQ would be my Third Choice and first choice if choosing one of the other 2 won't allow you some financial comfort during your stay. It's compact, has the boat ride to DTD, and is my favorite moderate for families of 4 or less.

CR is not one of my favorite Resorts. It's just to sterile for me. I just don't feel as surrounded in Disney Magic as I do at the other Resorts. Chef Mickeys and the MK View Rooms are the best attributes of this resort. To me it's a necessity to get a MK View Room in order to have that constant Disney Magic feel, and that's all well and good if you spend a lot of time in your room. But for a person like me that likes to roam around my resort, the CR just doesn't cut it. I will say though that it's the cheapest of the monorail resorts if you can get a Wing Room. You also have the luxury of being able to walk to MK, and that's a huge plus for many.

The GF is my least favorite deluxe resort. It's simple really, the theming just doesn't do it for me and my family. It's also the most expensive of the deluxe resorts.

My vote would be WL, based on proximity to MK and affordability. I would book a standard room there now to get a room. Then, pay attention to any specials that may come out. If you can get a room only discount, you could upgrade to either CR garden view or Poly standard and add your tickets on from there. You can also add on dining if you so choose. For your family's size and childrens' ages, the room discount is a better deal than free dining. Good luck!

I would pick WL. You're still at a Deluxe resort and you'll save money that you can use on other things. The boat to MK is very nice and the resort itself is beautiful. Everything is under one roof which is nice and the theming is amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter