For the travellers from snow...

jelo

Preparing for our Universally Magical vacation
We are going on the March 9th 2012 Dream cruise....what do people do with thier boots and coats etc...?

Do I have to bring all that stuff with me to Florida?:confused:

I should mention we are flying out of Buffalo, NY airport to Orlando.

We left in cold winter weather and returned to several feet of snow. No, we did not bring any winter gear with us. We just layered sweatshirts and summer jackets on the way down and back, adding or removing layers as needed. Ironically, we actually left our entire bag of windbreakers on the ship, so when we returned to snowy Baltimore, we had to dig out our car in just our sweatshirts and tennis shoes. Luckily the airport parking shuttle guy had a shovel and we had one pair of gloves in the car. It will all work out fine. You'll regret toting a bunch of heavy gear back and forth..

Hi Jelo! We fly out of Hartford, CT so we worry about snow/cold too. Not as bad as you tho :) We usually just suffer with the cold and not bring all the cold weather gear. It's just for the time to and at the airport. Not worth bothering with while on the trip. Once you get to Orlando you won't need it. You really just need it to get to the airport up here and then to you car. Makes going thru security easier with all the big coats and stuff.

I was thinking about that also. We will be leaving MN this December. I was planning on wearing heavy sweatshirts and regular shoes then taking the park-n-ride to the airport. It will be cold when we get back to the vehicle, but won't take that long for the car to warm up..... right!! I'll have blankets in the car to cuddle with to help with the cold. My luck it will be below zero when we get home.

Can't wait to hear what other people actually did!!:idea:

Great question :thumbsup2 We are leaving from MN in November. I'm going to have my dad drop us off and pick us up at the airport. So I guess we will leave our coats in his car, and just wear a sweat shirt. I want a sweat shirt with anyways, it might be cold on deck at night. :confused3 Better be safe than sorry.

We flew out of New Hampshire for a February cruise the day of a storm! We were all in sneakers, DH dropped us at the terminal sidewalk then went and parked. We wore jeans, long sleeve shirts and light weight fleece jackets. I figured if we were hit with out of the ordinary cold days on the cruise, the long sleeve shirts or jackets would be good. Turns out we didn't need them. And when we returned, DH went to get the car and picked us up curbside.
:goodvibes

Your question reminds me of not-so-fond memories of stepping off an airport shuttle in Anchorage after a DCL trip...right into an ankle deep puddle of slush...wearing flip-flops.

We always just suck up the cold to and from the airport and fly in jeans and hoodies.

We always fly from Buffalo. We wear a light jacket or sweater on the plane. Believe me, you might very well need them for sailaway. Orlando can be cold and windy that time of year. If it is really a cold time with snow, we leave the heavy coats in the car. While I wait for luggage DH goes to get car, brings it around, and then the kids get their coats then. One brings mine to me and we take suitcases to the curb.
OK - DH is cold getting the car! He is a nice guy and does that for us!!

We travelled from Chicago in Feb. We left the heavy coats in the car. I wore a down vest and sweater and it packed easily in our suitcase. DH wore a lightweight gold gear type jacket. He retrieved the car, warmed it up and picked us up at the curb. ;)

We left in cold winter weather and returned to several feet of snow. No, we did not bring any winter gear with us. We just layered sweatshirts and summer jackets on the way down and back, adding or removing layers as needed. Ironically, we actually left our entire bag of windbreakers on the ship, so when we returned to snowy Baltimore, we had to dig out our car in just our sweatshirts and tennis shoes. Luckily the airport parking shuttle guy had a shovel and we had one pair of gloves in the car. It will all work out fine. You'll regret toting a bunch of heavy gear back and forth..

This is what I do going to St martin in Dec. I wear capris and a tee with a sweatshirt. Of course DH drops me off at the gate so I am in the cold for seconds. :flower3:

Check to see if your airport has locker rentals or a coat check. I don't think that's very common stateside, but our airport here has a coat check which is fantastic. We use them anytime we're flying to warmer climates and can't con the BIL into driving us. We've even started just checking my coat and leaving the DW and DDs in the car (out of sight) and I get the car warm and pick them up curbside with their coats. Every dollar saved means the next cruise is that much nearer :thumbsup2

We are going on the March 9th 2012 Dream cruise....what do people do with thier boots and coats etc...?

Leave them in your car and put up with the cold to and from the airport termninal.

Flying out of MN in the winter, we leave our vehicle at the hotel using park & fly. We leave all our winter gear in the vehicle and just wear jeans and a couple of layers on top (light jacket or pullover) for the flight...then when we get to the warm, sunny weather we ditch the jeans until it's time to fly home. Then we have the jeans to wear home again. And the light jacket or pullover comes in handy some evenings on the ship.

Then we arrive back at the Minneapolis hotel, warm up the vehicle, shovel it out of the snow, and drive 3 hours home....with warm memories to last us until the snow melts in Minnesota! :o)

We've flown out of Buffalo heading south. We travel a number of hours from northern Ontario to get to Buffalo, so we do need all the winter stuff, we've even brought snow pants etc in case we end up in the ditch.

We store all our winter stuff in the back of the car during the trip, if it's especially bad when we return I just head to the car first to get our winter stuff - then did the car out.

I live in the Buffalo area and eventhough you might have to deal with some snow, the actual temperature "usually" isn't sub-freezing.
You'll be fine with just jeans and either hoodies or fleece jackets and sneakers
AND, just to be safe - travel a day before the cruise

We wore fleeces and gym shoes and left coats in the car for when we returned. No way would I lug that stuff. I would rather suffer for the few minutes it takes to get into the Chicago airport.

This is what we usually do, dress for Florida but wear a zip up hoody. In the car going to the airport we wear our winter coats and once we park, we put our winter coats and gloves in the trunk of the car. That way when we get home we don't have to worry about being cold driving home.

Last time we left in the winter, we parked our car at the airport and left our winter gear in the car. Had layers on for the shuttle ride to the terminal and the plane. Upon return, our gear was in the car for bundling up and digging out, but we didn't have to lug it to Florida with us ;)

OK - I agree about leaving coats in the car -

But once when returning from Florida in mid winter - US Air cancelled our flight - and had no open flights for 3 days- Dumped us in D.C. - and I ended up having to drive back to upstate NY in a January snowstorm. (rented a car) - I had a 2 yr old at the time - and you better believe I wish I had a warm jacket with me -- We looked like charity cases - out at thruway rest stops with no jackets, boots , hats etc!

Needless to say - I now tend to wear as many layers as I can - Under Armor works great - and does not take up much room when packed

I still don't lug heavy jackets etc - but never let kids go without at least a couple of layers, and I often stash a couple of hats/mittens in my carry on - just in case!

When we fly from Syracuse NY to Orlando for cruises in the winter we drive to the airport in jeans, boots and heavy coats. In the parking garage at the airport we change to spring jackets and shoes - then HURRY into the airport, leaving the winter coats and boots in the car. The spring jackets don't take up much room in the suitcase while on the cruise, and the jeans get rolled up to capris on the way to Orlando! :banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter