For the Love of a Little Girl: Prelude to a Surprise!

luvmy2sams

DIS Veteran
For the Love of a Little Girl
The Price Family Vacation
Pre-Trip Report

Cast of Characters:
:earsgirl: Me: 33-year-old SAHM of two, craving some of that Disney magic, can’t wait to be alone with my family and watch my kiddos in the World once again :love:
:earsboy: DH, Sam: 33-year-old devoted husband and dad (aka Goofmeister on the DIS), loves all things Disney, looking forward to trying beers around the world in EPCOT :drinking1
princess: DD, Samantha: turning 7 the day before the trip, big-hearted sweetie pie who loves life, loves Cinderella but is moving on to the likes of Kim Possible and teen girls of the moment on the Disney Channel :rolleyes:
pirate: DS, Ryan: 2 ½ -year-old pumpkin who loves to give hugs and kisses, passionate about all things Buzz Lightyear, could impersonate Stitch without missing a beat :earseek:

Background:
Our family began our love affair with the mouse in the fall of 2000. We spent a week in the October Florida sun, thinking it would be a once-in-a-blue-moon type of trip. By the second night, we were already planning our imminent return to the place where magic lives. There’s just something about Disney that gets under your skin. :goodvibes I’ve yet to be able to explain it to another human being, but those who have traveled the same path as I have know what I’m talking about. If you’re reading this, then you undoubtedly are nodding your heads in agreement. ::yes:: There’s nothing like that feeling I get as my car passes under the Walt Disney World gate. That same feeling continues throughout the vacation as I catch that first glimpse of Cinderella’s Castle all lit up in its glory, as I watch my kids stare in awe at the characters that are oh-so-real. Where else in the world can you go and feel truly as though the real world has passed away? There’s nothing like it. I’d love to be able to bottle those feelings and ration them out in my life as things get crazy and out of control. I never feel more myself than when I’m walking down Main Street USA or watching my kids splash in the fountains at EPCOT. Those feelings…those memories…are worth all the hard work and sacrifices it takes to get us to the World. I hope that I never tire of it.

We last visited our pal Mickey in October of 2004 as a family, and DH and I returned that December to ring in the New Year (and celebrate our 10th anniversary) at our favorite place. When DH and I walked up Main Street USA that beautiful January morning earlier this year, we didn’t know how soon we’d be able to make it back. It seemed as though a cloud was moving into our lives. Already this dream anniversary trip had been marred by a back injury (mine) and some extended family problems. Reality was seeping into our vacation world, and we didn’t like it one bit. We returned home, and things went from bad to worse. You name it, we’ve probably been touched by it over the past 10 months. We needed something to look forward to…whatever could that be?

Only Disney can do the trick when life gets really lousy, so we began planning our inevitable return. We vowed to make it a budget trip, which meant we’d stay value and drive. However, in April we found a great airfare out of DFW for early January, and booked it immediately. Now the preparations can begin. We booked All Star Movies from January 7th-January 17th, not realizing at the time that we would be in the World for a holiday weekend. Oh well…it’s value season…how bad can it really be? I’d rather be crowded in Disney than freezing my tail off in Oklahoma anyway. DD turns 7-years-old on January 6th, so we decided to make this trip a surprise in honor of her birthday. We’d been kicking around ideas of how to reveal the surprise for months. How were we going to explain driving to Dallas on her birthday? Would she be angry about not having a real birthday party with all her friends? Keeping a secret is so difficult, let me tell you!

Fast forward to late August when on the way back from our quick end-of-summer get-away to San Antonio, we decided to stop in Grapevine, TX at the Rainforest Café. This restaurant always brings back memories of our first trip to Disney in 2000 and of our lunch at the Animal Kingdom. The kids think this place is great, and we tend to agree. Of course, we’d eat dirt if we could do it while watching our wide-eyed kids enjoy their surroundings. As we headed into the mall, DD said that all she wanted for her birthday was to come to the Rainforest Café and go to Build-A-Bear. Could the angels have been watching over us? This was too good to be true. You’ve got to understand, though, that DD is a consummate planner, so hearing these words from her lips really was not a big surprise at all. She’s already planning for her sweet 16 party. :rolleyes: DH and I whole-heartedly agreed that this would be a great idea. We returned home with visions of a big surprise reveal swirling in our heads. How would we pull this off?

It’s now 28 days before DD's birthday. Everything is coming together, and the surprise has been laid out. DD is in school from 8:10-3:00 p.m., which leaves plenty of time for journal creating, color book making, and most importantly, packing! The packing list is evolving by the day, and my plan is to get everything loaded up after dropping DD off at school on her birthday. I’ll then get to rush through the bi-weekly cleaning of my FIL’s house and rush even more to get everything ready for her school birthday celebration. DH will be arriving home from work around 2pm, which will give him just enough time to change and load the remaining items into my car. We’ll get to DD's school at 2:30pm and pass out the goodies for her birthday party. At 3pm we’re jumping in the car for the 3-hour drive to Dallas and our hotel reservations.

If all goes according to plan :rotfl: we’ll arrive at Grapevine Mills around 7pm. With dining reservations for 8pm we’ll have plenty of time to head to Build-A-Bear before dinner. We’ll celebrate DD's birthday with a new bear for both kids and a Volcano from the Rainforest Café. Upon returning to our hotel room, we plan to present DD with another shirt for her new bear. The shirt (ordered from zazzle.com) has a Princess logo on the front. Embroidered on the back is “We’re going to Disney World tomorrow!”

Our flight leaves DFW at 8:40am, so we’ll be out of the hotel bright and early. The second part of the surprise will be revealed as we head down the highway. DH plans to start complaining about the long drive to Florida. He’ll then point out DFW Airport and say “How about if we just fly there instead?” The kids have never been on an airplane, so DD should be over the moon at this announcement. I’ve ordered a new edition of her bible (Birnbaum’s Guide for Kids by Kids) and a Hidden Mickey book. Along with a few other goodies foraged away in the backpacks, both kids should be good to go for the flight. The direct flight gets us into MCO at 12:13pm, where our next surprise awaits. We’ve reserved a stretch limo (fully decorated in honor of the birthday girl) for the occasion. I can’t wait to see the kids’ faces! :goodvibes

Our package is paid…house/pet sitter has been booked...mousekeeping envelopes have been stuffed…itinerary is laid out in multi-colored detail…ADR’s have been made. I know I’m forgetting a multitude of things. All these months of anticipation have melted away, and it’s turning into crunch time around here. Why, oh why, didn’t I write down those very important details I swore I wouldn’t forget? None of it will matter once we hit Florida airspace. The whole World of Disney awaits…and I can’t wait to take it all in again. :goodvibes

Surprise Beginnings--Day One
To Infinity and Beyond

What a beautifully written pre-trip reprot!!! The first part on how you feel whena t WDW gave me chills!!! And what a wonderful surprise- from the bear t-shirt, to the airplane, to the decorated limo!!!! I want to be a fly on the wall on your trip so I can see your DD's reactions to all the surprises!!! Actually, I may get to see you there.. My family will be there Jan 5 -Jan 12, CBR. Have and amazing and magical trip. Your DD is so lucky!!!! :earsgirl:

I am so anxious for you to go now.......SOUNDS fantastic......thanks so much for all the things you are doing for your kids.....(and yourselves too)..we go in APril so I am getting wayyyyyyy excited too.......thanks again

Your report is so fantastic. I got so excited for you DC while reading it.... they are going to be so suprised!! This is such a wonderful thing that you and your DH are doing. I hope you all have a wonderful trip :wizard:

Great pre-trip report!

Sounds like one day your DD might take over with the planning :)

Thanks for the great pre-trip report! I will be taking my soon to be 7year old to WDW for her birthday next week (her actual birthday is 12/21) and I can't wait!

I hope you have a wonderful time! :cool1:

I am SO excited for you, and I can totally identify with all the feelings about being there. As a matter of fact... we will be there the same time you will!! There is nothing like a trip to "The World" to make you forget all the problems of the real world.

We will be there January 6th through 15th. Like you did last year, we just returned from a family trip in October, and this trip will just be for DH and me.

I have been enjoying your DH's trip reports so much, and looking forward to each installment anxiously, so when I read in his post from yesterday that you had also posted a pre trip report... I just had to read it. You are both talented writers and reading your reports is such fun!

I just know that your daughter will be unbelievably excited when you reveal your surprise, and I can't wait to read about it. I just hope that one (or both) of you will post your report before a year after your return. She will just be thinking that her wonderful birthday trip is ending, when you reveal to her that it hasn't even really begun. And with each new step along the way... she will love it!

I have been to Grapevine Mall, as well as that Rainforest Cafe. I live in Katy, TX and we have Katy Mills Mall, which also has a Rainforest Cafe, and they are so much fun... especially for the little ones.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Maybe we'll see you there... I'll just look for the cutest 7 year old with the biggest smile in all of WDW... and that's a pretty big smile!

I had just read your DH's report so i'm getting to know you all a little bit and this sounds wonderful :cheer2: You guys are the best family and I can't wait to hear how DD likes her suprise.

Claire xx

I feel so excited! Can't wait to 'hear' all about it :sunny:

Thanks to you all for the kind replies. Some days it seems as though I'm going to burst from holding this surprise in for so long. Having this pre-trip report out there has helped allieviate some of that, thankfully.

Looks like I'll be seeing several of you there in a few weeks. Here's to fantastic vacations for us all!

Kala said:
We will be there January 6th through 15th. Like you did last year, we just returned from a family trip in October, and this trip will just be for DH and me.

I just hope that one (or both) of you will post your report before a year after your return.

Hope that you and your DH have a fantastic trip. DH and I have some wonderful memories of our solo trip last year. There's nothing quite like the liberation of no strollers or diaper bags. :teeth:

I plan on posting a report as soon as we return. DH, on the other hand, might not get around to it immediately. He'll be returning home to a very hectic schedule at work. He stresses out so much over these reports that I don't know if he'll be up to doing one immediately. It's taken a year of nagging from me to get him to start on the October 2004 one. :rolleyes: I plan on doing my best to encourage him, though.

On another note, I'm a fellow 'Poke here from Oklahoma. How'd you get that cool Pistol Pete picture?! I'm so jealous...

so I'm getting all teary - just reading your first paragraph...and then I find out that I have to wait - just like the Birthday Girl - for the rest??!!!

...except the birthday girl doesn't know that she's going, and I feel like I'm part of the biggest, most lovely birthday surprise that she'll have...

...and one she will never forget:)

*sigh*

You do realize, of course, that you're setting the "Gold Standard" for birthdays!!(see my signature!!;) ) Our boys are turning 8:)

Looking forward to reading all about it - take lots of pictures!!

:sunny:

3princesses4us said:
On another note, I'm a fellow 'Poke here from Oklahoma. How'd you get that cool Pistol Pete picture?! I'm so jealous...

You know I've had Pete for so long that I'm not sure where I got it. I think that I copied it off of OSU's website to my computer and then uploaded it to the DIS. So cool to hear from another Poke fan! Aren't Cowboys just the greatest? :teeth:

mbb said:
You do realize, of course, that you're setting the "Gold Standard" for birthdays!!(see my signature!! ) Our boys are turning 8

Looking forward to reading all about it - take lots of pictures!!

We do realize that we're setting ourselves up here. Last year for DD's birthday she got a puppy, and I commented "What in the world can top a puppy for your birthday? I guess we're going to have to go to Disney." I, of course, was joking, but it's funny how everything worked out. We'll never be able to top this. I'm just thankful that DS is only 2, so he won't constantly be asking when we can go for his birthday. It's in July, and I've heard such horror stories about the summer heat. :faint:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Believe me, the waiting is killing us. Thank goodness relatives are arriving for Christmas soon. I think we need the distraction at this point. :)

I hope your trip is incredible and filled with pixie dust. I can not wait to hear all about it! I would love to pull off a surprise like yours for my children. We all love Disney so much I think I might burst from the excitement of holding a secret like that. Let us know how the surprise goes. :banana: :banana:

MERRY CHRISTMAS YA'LL!!!

That is such a fantastic birthday surprise!

As you're so good at it you might like to know my birthday is in February ;-)

Can't wait for your trip report

This must be the most beautiful title for a trip report ever.
It gave me a chill!
Ok, I am the mother of 2 little girls and we did visit on our dd's bithday so it could be that. ;)
Beautifully written and beautifully planned. Can't wait to read the details....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter