For the ladies only please:)

I figured they probably wouldn't consider it, but I figured it was worth a shot maybe. I'm concerned about the terrible bleeding with paragard also. How was mirena when you first got it inserted? I've heard of it is painful to have inserted, and for a couple days after. I had never thought about maybe they would "finance" it so to speak? My insurance said they would cover it was medically neccessay. I would if not being able to take anything else would make it a medical nessecity?

Um, yeah. I'd say not being able to be on the pill due to blood clots would certify a medical nessecity since you're not wanting to have kids right now. Def talk to your doctor about that aspect of it. He/she may be able to provide you with a written and signed letter to give to your insurance so that insurance covers (or helps cover) the cost of it.

On my second Mirena and love it! What about going to Planned Parenthood or Family Planning depending where you live. They charge on a sliding fee scale and even if you are high up on the income level it still may be cheaper, it is great care and not just for teens who need B.C. it is for anyone. Quality may vary depending on your state, but in Maine it is excellent.

Also a great suggestion! Planned Parenthood is there for women who need help with family planning. :)

Personally, I'm ready to be off my BC pills (just the thought of getting blood clots taking a medication that prevents pregnancy scares me). DH and I have decided that based on his age (he'll be 41 this year) and our financial future, our DS will be our only child. So, now it's a matter of deciding whether I'm having my tubes tide (or blocked thanks to Essure) or DH getting the big V.

Hi there,

I have firsthand knowledge of this because I too have had a blood clot while on birth control. I wasn't allowed on the pill anymore, and after my first child we were using natural family planning, however, if you seriously do not want a child at this time I would not recommend it. I got pregnant while having intercourse (with withdrawl) EIGHT days before ovulation. That should have been impossible, but I was dead on with my dates as I had early ultrasounds and they were right on with my dates. I think to get an IUD, you have to had previous ******l delivery or at least pregnancy. I'm not sure if you have or not. I was offered the option of a mirena with one gyne, but another didn't recommend it because there are some hormones. Paraguard was an option, but not recommended for me because I already had very heavy periods. Turned out DH got a vasectomy and then I ended up with a hysterectomy a few years later. Go and talk to the doctor and see what he says, planned parenthood could be a good option too, but it sounds like your options are a bit limited unfortunately. Good luck!

Honestly, I wouldn't take BCP because of the PCOS. Many doctors prescribe it first thing to women with PCOS because it does "help" with various problems, but it does a lot of masking and covering up of symptoms as well.

Have you ever heard of Soulcysters? It's a big website for women with PCOS. Www.Soulcysters.net there are forums on there and a lot of studies and links for all things PCOS.

But all that aside, I would not take BCP after a blood clot. Have you tried condoms that do not have spermicide? We thought I was sensitive to the latex until we tried (I think) lambskin condoms, and then we realized it was the spermicide I had the issues with.

So your header say ladies only. But as a husband to a woman that got blood clots from BC, I feel I truely have something to offer. To me it is not worth taking the chance I dont know how bad yours was but my wife spent 2 weeks in ICU. I told her it would not be exceptable to go back on BC now that she is at higher risk. Our answer to the whole thing was a little snip. Puts an end to all worries and is reversable when need be. Have not had this done yet but currently seeking payment for opperation and more from YAZ.

Absolutely not!:scared1: I was on bc for 15 years without problems. I was lucky. Turns out I do have a blood clotting disorder that resulted in 5 miscarriages. Ended up almost losing my first to a placental abruption due to the clotting disorder and kept my last two by being on blood thinners throughout the pregnancies. While I've never actually had a clot, there's nothing on earth that would get me to take ANY hormone based BC. Not when there are other ways. Absolutely not worth the risk. Having had a clot already, it means you're more suspeptible. I'd never risk that.

I wouldn't touch anything with any kind of hormones. I would contact Planned Parenthood (yes, seriously!) to see how much Paragard would be through them. I also like VCF (v-ginal contraceptive film) because its quick, easy, and you can't feel it.

absolutely no BC pill if you had a blood clot. Sorry. I know this is not what you want to hear. AND btw do they have you taking a baby aspirin daily to help with the blood clot disorder? Best wishes.

I have a history of blood clots, and my doctor will not prescribe anything with any hormones in it. Originally, I was told to just stay away from estrogen-containing medication, but she said that there is some discussion on whether progesterone can contribute to blood clots, so to be on the safe side, no hormones of any kind for me, which means no Mirena, either. She said I could use a copper IUD, but I have really heavy periods already, and that can make them worse, so we are sticking with "man protection" until I can convince DH to go in and get snipped. I am on baby aspirin for life now to avoid another clot. The only reason I was able to carry my last pregnancy to term was because I was on blood thinners the entire time. I lost several pregnancies in between all my surviving children, and we now know it was due to my clotting disorder, which was not diagnosed until my final pregnancy. I tell you this so that when you are ready to have a child, you can talk to your doctor about how best to carry the pregnancy with fewer side effects, due to your clot history.

Hey there! Hopefully I can help....

I had a stroke at 18, I'm 22 now and on Mirena. I have had no complications so far besides moodiness. I also never had a kid, they gave me a drug to make it easier to put in etc.

With me, birth control is tricky too. My doctors didn't feel comfortable putting me on much due to my past health history and the dangers most BCs can cause. But after much discussion, it was found that Mirena would be best for me. There is VERY small room for user error, and it works.

From my understanding and research, Paragard has a similar set up. Only reason my doctor and I chose Mirena is to help take care of some symptoms I was also having with AF. (Fetal position and can't move=bad!!)

Your best bet is to talk to a doctor and see what they suggest. I personally hate "man protection". It feels uncomfortable, and actually hurts! So this was a good median for us :goodvibes

Best of Luck!

Have you thought about the NuvaRing? It is a three week bc that you insert and leave inserted for three weeks and once that time frame is up, you take it out and then comes your period. Sevendays later you insert another one and start all over. I have PCOS as well and my Midwife suggested this after giving birth to my first daughter. It was great.

you cannot use the nuvaring either...i am in the same boat, had 2 blood clots in september and actually almost died! the cause? NUVARING. I was on the nuvaring for 4 months and then BAM had blood clots. I had been on birth control pills before, and also the mirena before with no problems until i got on the nuvaring. The nuvaring has hormones so do not let your doctor tell you to use it! My GYN doc says absolutely no hormones what so ever, even when im older and going thru menopause. So im going with the paragaurd, which both me and my doc think is the best one since it has no hormones what so ever in it.

Since it doesnt have the hormones in it you also dont have to worry about weight gain. I gained weight with the mirena and had really bad acne too.

I've never had blood clots with BC, but I've sworn it off because of all the horrible side effects I experienced... mainly depression & anxiety.

After DD was born I had decide what to do for BC and avoided mirena for the exact same reasons as I avoid the BCP. I also decided against paragard because of the really bad reviews I've heard about it (and the multiple people I've heard who have gotten pregnant while on it).

We decided on doing natural family planning. I did temping & monitoring other signs of my cycle while I was TTC so it was easy to just pick it up again. I can tell when I'm about to ovulate so I know we either need to abstain or use a condom around that time.

(it also lets me know that I have the same fertility problems I had when TTC DD so when it's time to TTC for #2 in a few months, I'll have to go back on fertility meds... kind of crappy, but it's better than TTC for over a year again first!)

I'm really happy with our decision. It's hormone-free, it'll be easy to start TTC again immediately when we're ready, and we don't have to use condoms all the time which isn't enjoyable for either of us.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 This is all we ever used until we were done having kids. Then I had Essure.

Hi there,

I have firsthand knowledge of this because I too have had a blood clot while on birth control. I wasn't allowed on the pill anymore, and after my first child we were using natural family planning, however, if you seriously do not want a child at this time I would not recommend it. I got pregnant while having intercourse (with withdrawl) EIGHT days before ovulation. That should have been impossible, but I was dead on with my dates as I had early ultrasounds and they were right on with my dates. I think to get an IUD, you have to had previous ******l delivery or at least pregnancy. I'm not sure if you have or not. I was offered the option of a mirena with one gyne, but another didn't recommend it because there are some hormones. Paraguard was an option, but not recommended for me because I already had very heavy periods. Turned out DH got a vasectomy and then I ended up with a hysterectomy a few years later. Go and talk to the doctor and see what he says, planned parenthood could be a good option too, but it sounds like your options are a bit limited unfortunately. Good luck!

This is not really natural family planning. See an expert if you want to use this method. It's not just about withdrawal. It's about taking NO chances and abstaining or using a condom during fertile time. You need to take your temp daily and watch some other signs. As a PP stated, also helps determine ovulation time when you are ready to have children.

I have Mirena now and I've been very happy with it. It was mildly uncomfortable when they inserted it, but it wasn't too bad and lasted maybe 2-3 mins at most. I still have periods, but they are very light, and I can take care of them with just pantyliners. I haven't had any side effects, no weight gain, mood swings or migraines. I'll probably have it removed in the next year or so because we want to have a second child, but I'll definitely get Mirena again after my second birth.

I have had Mirena for about 2 months and I really like it. I second going to Planned Parenthood to get it done. I think Mirena also does a payment program too. The 900 dollars would definitely be cheaper than paying out of pocket for for bc for 5 years.

I am 21 and have never been prego/had a baby so insertion was quite painful. At first they have to measure your uterus to make sure it is deep enough. I didn't know this and thought it was the insertion... I thought, wow, that was painful but not too bad. HA. Then they inserted it and WOW! Insertion also made me very dizzy and nauseous which is pretty common. The more intense cramping lasted for a few hours and I had period like cramps for a few days. I haven't had a period since insertion and only notice I have it when my bladder is very full because it will give me an odd pain sometimes. Other than that it has been really great.

Now, if you have had children insertion is supposedly very easy and with very little pain and cramping and I don't think they have to measure either. Good luck with your decision!!! Even with the initial pain I would still recommend the Mirena just for the freedom it provides.

Good suggestion on the payment plans for the Mirena! :)

I know I can do payments through my dr office, it's still just a huge chunk on top of my school bills.

I would not want to be on hormonal BC after a clot! I have the Mirena right now, not sure if taht is an option for you either since it is hormonal. But yes, ask about all the BC methods you can use and then make a decision.

Some places say nothing at all, but mirena says it's ok because it doesn't have estrogen.

Have you thought about the NuvaRing? It is a three week bc that you insert and leave inserted for three weeks and once that time frame is up, you take it out and then comes your period. Sevendays later you insert another one and start all over. I have PCOS as well and my Midwife suggested this after giving birth to my first daughter. It was great.

I can't use nuvaring b/c it has estrogen. That's what I was hopeing for after I had my clot, but they said no way.

I also use the NuvaRing because i have reactions to many types of pills (immediately break out in a rash when exposed to the sun :confused3 ). I've been on the NR now for 6 years and its great - no complaints. I did try to do the mirena first but it failed (cervix was closed up tight, explains my 3 c/s's :laughing: ) they offered to surgically implant it but it wasn't worth it to me.

I think my biggest concern with mirena or any iud for that matter, is it not working for me. You can't exactly return it lol

Paragard is awesome! No problems whatsoever. ;)

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews, but I am very happy to here this!!

On my second Mirena and love it! What about going to Planned Parenthood or Family Planning depending where you live. They charge on a sliding fee scale and even if you are high up on the income level it still may be cheaper, it is great care and not just for teens who need B.C. it is for anyone. Quality may vary depending on your state, but in Maine it is excellent.

I have never thought about that. I honestly thought it was either low income, or teenagers. I will have to check into it.

I've never had blood clots with BC, but I've sworn it off because of all the horrible side effects I experienced... mainly depression & anxiety.

After DD was born I had decide what to do for BC and avoided mirena for the exact same reasons as I avoid the BCP. I also decided against paragard because of the really bad reviews I've heard about it (and the multiple people I've heard who have gotten pregnant while on it).

We decided on doing natural family planning. I did temping & monitoring other signs of my cycle while I was TTC so it was easy to just pick it up again. I can tell when I'm about to ovulate so I know we either need to abstain or use a condom around that time.

(it also lets me know that I have the same fertility problems I had when TTC DD so when it's time to TTC for #2 in a few months, I'll have to go back on fertility meds... kind of crappy, but it's better than TTC for over a year again first!)

I'm really happy with our decision. It's hormone-free, it'll be easy to start TTC again immediately when we're ready, and we don't have to use condoms all the time which isn't enjoyable for either of us.

Thanks!

I cannot say enough good things about Mirena. I actually had a follow up today for my second insertion (I am on my 6th year). I had about 15 minutes of cramping from the insertion & that was it. Virtually no spotting at all and I havent' had a period in 6 years. It is amazing. My obgyn & nurse practioner are both women and they both also have a Mirena. They told me almost all of the women who work in the entire practice use it.

I have heard a ton of good things about mirena, but I have heard horrible things also, and I'm just concerned about putting that much into it to only have to have it removed.

My experience with mirena has been great. But, I've had two kids and am still breastfeeding my son. My OB said that mirena is less painful/bothersome in women who have had children than not. Insertion wasn't painful for me and I had minor spotting and occassionally have minor spotting, but haven't had a period in a year.

I have heard this also. I think Mirena even has it on their site that it's not recommended for women without children.

Another mirena fan here. I've had mine 3 years and love it. There was some discomfort when it was being inserted (a slight stinging sensation for about 2 min and then the cramping.) The cramping was mild for about a week....Advil took care of it. I had a c-section, so maybe vag births would be even less uncomfortable. Best part of it.....no periods. It is so nice to go on vacation and not worry about leaks, packing supplies, etc.

The no period part would be nice. I don't have but maybe 1 every 3 or 4 months, but I'm not supposed to be like that since I'm not on meds, so it would be nice to know that it's supposed to be like that.

Um, yeah. I'd say not being able to be on the pill due to blood clots would certify a medical nessecity since you're not wanting to have kids right now. Def talk to your doctor about that aspect of it. He/she may be able to provide you with a written and signed letter to give to your insurance so that insurance covers (or helps cover) the cost of it.

Also a great suggestion! Planned Parenthood is there for women who need help with family planning. :)

Personally, I'm ready to be off my BC pills (just the thought of getting blood clots taking a medication that prevents pregnancy scares me). DH and I have decided that based on his age (he'll be 41 this year) and our financial future, our DS will be our only child. So, now it's a matter of deciding whether I'm having my tubes tide (or blocked thanks to Essure) or DH getting the big V.

I think I may look into planned parenthood. We want to have kids, just not ready for them yet, so we don't want "permanent" fixes.

Hi there,

I have read that on mirena's site it's not recommended for those without previous pregnancies. I have not. I don't have periods but maybe every 3 or 4 months. Every now and then I will go through spells where its dead on ever 28 days but only for 2 or 3 months the right back to the same thing, so my gyn really wants me having periods because of tissue build up, so I guess wouldn't be bad as far as that is concerned. I just hate taking horomones because of the way they make me fell.

So your header say ladies only. But as a husband to a woman that got blood clots from BC, I feel I truely have something to offer. To me it is not worth taking the chance I dont know how bad yours was but my wife spent 2 weeks in ICU. I told her it would not be exceptable to go back on BC now that she is at higher risk. Our answer to the whole thing was a little snip. Puts an end to all worries and is reversable when need be. Have not had this done yet but currently seeking payment for opperation and more from YAZ.

Trust my DH doesn't even want to here about it, but he knows at the same time we've got to do something. We still want to have kids so snipping isn't an option. I have heard mixed opinions as far as blood clots not related to BC but DVTs are. My blood clot was superficial, and DVT are deep vein. I guess it just depends on the study that someone has read.

Honestly, I wouldn't take BCP because of the PCOS. Many doctors prescribe it first thing to women with PCOS because it does "help" with various problems, but it does a lot of masking and covering up of symptoms as well.

Have you ever heard of Soulcysters? It's a big website for women with PCOS. Www.Soulcysters.net there are forums on there and a lot of studies and links for all things PCOS.

But all that aside, I would not take BCP after a blood clot. Have you tried condoms that do not have spermicide? We thought I was sensitive to the latex until we tried (I think) lambskin condoms, and then we realized it was the spermicide I had the issues with.

I have heard of it. I am actually a member, but I had forgotten about it until I just read this. I will have to check it out again. I'm sure there is TONS of information on there that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Absolutely not!:scared1: I was on bc for 15 years without problems. I was lucky. Turns out I do have a blood clotting disorder that resulted in 5 miscarriages. Ended up almost losing my first to a placental abruption due to the clotting disorder and kept my last two by being on blood thinners throughout the pregnancies. While I've never actually had a clot, there's nothing on earth that would get me to take ANY hormone based BC. Not when there are other ways. Absolutely not worth the risk. Having had a clot already, it means you're more suspeptible. I'd never risk that.

I have to be honest. I have a lot of frustation, because I feel like I was blown off with the blood clot thing. They said if you decide to get pregnant it would probably be a good thing to take a baby asprin every day, and you shouldn't take horomones, but we can talk about it more when we get to that point, and then they hand me a Rx for mini-pill:confused3 When I go back next week, i have an entire list of questions, and DH is talking about going with me b/c he has questions, and is concerned about having a blood clot when not of BC, and he knows I am so frustrated.

I wouldn't touch anything with any kind of hormones. I would contact Planned Parenthood (yes, seriously!) to see how much Paragard would be through them. I also like VCF (v-ginal contraceptive film) because its quick, easy, and you can't feel it.

Thanks! I had never thought about it, until ya'll have mentioned it Thanks again!!!

absolutely no BC pill if you had a blood clot. Sorry. I know this is not what you want to hear. AND btw do they have you taking a baby aspirin daily to help with the blood clot disorder? Best wishes.

No, that is another issue I didn't understand. my dr said it would be fine if i decide to get prego, but not manditory :confused3

I have a history of blood clots, and my doctor will not prescribe anything with any hormones in it. Originally, I was told to just stay away from estrogen-containing medication, but she said that there is some discussion on whether progesterone can contribute to blood clots, so to be on the safe side, no hormones of any kind for me, which means no Mirena, either. She said I could use a copper IUD, but I have really heavy periods already, and that can make them worse, so we are sticking with "man protection" until I can convince DH to go in and get snipped. I am on baby aspirin for life now to avoid another clot. The only reason I was able to carry my last pregnancy to term was because I was on blood thinners the entire time. I lost several pregnancies in between all my surviving children, and we now know it was due to my clotting disorder, which was not diagnosed until my final pregnancy. I tell you this so that when you are ready to have a child, you can talk to your doctor about how best to carry the pregnancy with fewer side effects, due to your clot history.

I have a whole list of things for my gyn when I go next week. lol

Hey there! Hopefully I can help....

I had a stroke at 18, I'm 22 now and on Mirena. I have had no complications so far besides moodiness. I also never had a kid, they gave me a drug to make it easier to put in etc.

With me, birth control is tricky too. My doctors didn't feel comfortable putting me on much due to my past health history and the dangers most BCs can cause. But after much discussion, it was found that Mirena would be best for me. There is VERY small room for user error, and it works.

From my understanding and research, Paragard has a similar set up. Only reason my doctor and I chose Mirena is to help take care of some symptoms I was also having with AF. (Fetal position and can't move=bad!!)

Your best bet is to talk to a doctor and see what they suggest. I personally hate "man protection". It feels uncomfortable, and actually hurts! So this was a good median for us :goodvibes

Best of Luck!

I'm thinking I want to do something, because I feel the same about "man protection" also. Despise it with a passion. I am determined to get answers when I go next week. My gyn is normally not the greatest to talk with he normally gets the nurse to come it, but this time, I am going to insist. Nothing wroung with nurses, but his office nurse only ever says, it's personal choice, or gives you literature. Well I can't make a personal choice if I have no idea what to choice, and if i knew what to chose, I would be asking. right???

you cannot use the nuvaring either...i am in the same boat, had 2 blood clots in september and actually almost died! the cause? NUVARING. I was on the nuvaring for 4 months and then BAM had blood clots. I had been on birth control pills before, and also the mirena before with no problems until i got on the nuvaring. The nuvaring has hormones so do not let your doctor tell you to use it! My GYN doc says absolutely no hormones what so ever, even when im older and going thru menopause. So im going with the paragaurd, which both me and my doc think is the best one since it has no hormones what so ever in it.

Since it doesnt have the hormones in it you also dont have to worry about weight gain. I gained weight with the mirena and had really bad acne too.

I can't use nuva ring, but I really really wanted to, but they said absolutly not. Let me know how paragard turns out for you!! Good luck!!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 This is all we ever used until we were done having kids. Then I had Essure.

This is not really natural family planning. See an expert if you want to use this method. It's not just about withdrawal. It's about taking NO chances and abstaining or using a condom during fertile time. You need to take your temp daily and watch some other signs. As a PP stated, also helps determine ovulation time when you are ready to have children.

thanks!

I have Mirena now and I've been very happy with it. It was mildly uncomfortable when they inserted it, but it wasn't too bad and lasted maybe 2-3 mins at most. I still have periods, but they are very light, and I can take care of them with just pantyliners. I haven't had any side effects, no weight gain, mood swings or migraines. I'll probably have it removed in the next year or so because we want to have a second child, but I'll definitely get Mirena again after my second birth.

Thanks! Most people i've talked to already have had a pregnancy. I haven't so I don't know how it would be.

I have had Mirena for about 2 months and I really like it. I second going to Planned Parenthood to get it done. I think Mirena also does a payment program too. The 900 dollars would definitely be cheaper than paying out of pocket for for bc for 5 years.

I am 21 and have never been prego/had a baby so insertion was quite painful. At first they have to measure your uterus to make sure it is deep enough. I didn't know this and thought it was the insertion... I thought, wow, that was painful but not too bad. HA. Then they inserted it and WOW! Insertion also made me very dizzy and nauseous which is pretty common. The more intense cramping lasted for a few hours and I had period like cramps for a few days. I haven't had a period since insertion and only notice I have it when my bladder is very full because it will give me an odd pain sometimes. Other than that it has been really great.

Now, if you have had children insertion is supposedly very easy and with very little pain and cramping and I don't think they have to measure either. Good luck with your decision!!! Even with the initial pain I would still recommend the Mirena just for the freedom it provides.

The biggest down side it we aren't planning on waiting 5 years to TTC. Thanks for your input. I haven't heard of a lot of people that have had it without a previous pregnancy, but they ones I have heard, says it is horribly painful. hopefully next week, i can get some answers.

Thanks everyone for your help!! Y'all have been a huge help, and I have a tons of questions now, and a better insite on mirena and paragard.

ok slighty differnt as i am in the uk .But i have had 2 blood clots both travelling to my lungs and do have the Mirena coil and for me it is great .Very light bl2ed probably 3 or 4 times a year and couple days at a time and have not had any more problems since having it and they was

happy to go ahead despite my history

oh and went ahead to have two kids after in the uk .They prefer to use heperain so self injected it eveyr morning

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter