For the first time in like ever I'm going to Disneyland a Nov 14 TR... updated 8/17

My friend who lives in Cali told me about the issues with the glare too. I forget what she said they did but they did have to do something to cover up the glare is was giving traffic.

Emma...great and informative update, although I hate hearing that you still felt so poorly.

I love the address for Disneyland and the meaning about it. It is so Walt. :goodvibes

I read about that building with the accidents somewhere at some point.

It looks like a good tour thus far (even if the food choices weren't that great at the market).

My friend who lives in Cali told me about the issues with the glare too. I forget what she said they did but they did have to do something to cover up the glare is was giving traffic.
I think he said they just had to build it with some other material to stop the glare but I can't remember what.

Emma...great and informative update, although I hate hearing that you still felt so poorly.
Thanks... spoiler alot I never did get over it properly. I think what i had the past few weeks is because of what I had in California not going away properly and finished all the tablets the doctor gave now and I'm still coughing and still haven't got my singing voice back yet... it wasn't great before like but I kinda need the little one I did have for the whole exam singing stuff with the piano exam.

I love the address for Disneyland and the meaning about it. It is so Walt. :goodvibes
I hadn't copped onto the address until he said it so thought it was cool as well.

I read about that building with the accidents somewhere at some point.
I know accidents bad but it still seems like a good complaint to me that they have to build it out of something different because of sun glares... in Ireland we have a hard time finding the sun :lmao:

It looks like a good tour thus far (even if the food choices weren't that great at the market).
The tour was good and although he didn't seem to be sticking to the list on the tour description it was still enjoyable. The food didn't really bother me to much as I had plans for when I got to the walk of fame so needed an empty tummy anyway :rolleyes1:rotfl2:

Joining in! Great TR and as always love the photos you capture! Hope you feel better soon.

Joining in! Great TR and as always love the photos you capture! Hope you feel better soon.

Welcome :flower3: Thanks. I'm getting there health wise. Just a bit frustrated that I'm still coughing and the voice is still struggling a little especially since musical rehearsals are now on.

Day 3, part 2:

So after our stop in the market place we were headed to our longest stop of the day and of course the guide pointed everything and anything out along the way including this church where he said Tom Cruise and John Travolta like to hang out:

The next stop was meant to be a 10-20 minute stop according to the schedule on the website but our guide gave us 1 hour and 20 minutes to explore the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I was fine having extra time and as quick as we could walk Momma and I headed for Ghirardelli's

I had my sights set on the pin trader sundaes. I collect Disney pins and on the trader sites on people sell the pins that you get with the ice cream sundaes in that place for ridiculous prices. Like you buy the sundae for 16 dollars and the cheapest people sell on the pins for is 25 dollars and anything up to and beyond 70 dollars depending on what the pin is. Momma and I got a sundae each so I ended up with two Soda Fountain pins of my own, Nanny from 101 Dalmations and Panchito. The ice cream was yum as well we got vanilla and cookie dough ice-cream with hot fudge sauce and cream and sprinkles.

Once we were finished our ice creams we wandered around the shop looking at some of the Christmas stock.

We still had time after our ice creams before we had to head back to the bus so we took a stroll along the walk of fame. This dude was sitting outside Ghirardelli's:

We wandered along looking for as many Disney stars as we could:

The home of the academy awards, the Dolby Theatre:

This was the best view of the Hollywood sign we were going to get this day:

This dude was on top of one of the buildings thought he looked cool:

We continued our search for stars and ignoring the locals as we went when we had first stopped at the walk of fame we were warned not to take DVD's or CD's off anyone and there was loads of people trying to get you to take them. There was also a lot of people wandering around dressed up as things like Spiderman (there was actually 3 of those), Batman, Marilyn Monroe and so on. They kept trying to get you to stop and take pictures with them. Then there was loads of people trying to get you to come tour LA on bus tours and every single one of them left in ten minutes. All the people around like that trying to sell stuff all seemed a little aggressive about it and the whole area seemed a little grubby I thought. Anyway stars:

(well he was in Saving Mr. Banks so he counts as Disney lol)
We eventually found Walt Disney's star completely by accident. We crossed the road to head back towards the bus and it was in front of a grubby little CVS shop. I was shocked.

We also found Mickey Mouse near the Chinese Theatre. I wanted to clean the dirty spot off his star:

We took a bit of time to check out the hand prints outside of the Chinese Theatre as well while we were near it:

It was funny people around me were all excited about the Michael Jackson and trying to get pictures of that and I'm like ooooh Twilight:

Then Momma goes there's Harry Potter:

We wandered into one of the shops the guide told us to go to for a bathroom break before going back to the bus and spotted this car.

Momma told me to take a picture. The guide told us when we were back on the bus it was Elvis Presley's car, Momma said she already knew this, I completely missed that point though. The walk of fame was interesting to visit but like some of the stars were cracked and dirty which is expected with age I guess but I was just a little shocked at the whole area in general. I guess because you hear so much about Hollywood that I was expecting it to be a big swanky area which it wasn't really. I am happy I saw it though.

Anyway after the walk of fame we drove around L.A. for another bit with the guide continuing to point out everything along the way. We passed the Laugh Factory where Robin Williams used to work and the guide told us that there are so many comedians suffering with depression that the Laugh Factory actually has an on site counsellor for the comedians that work there.

Next we headed for Beverly Hills

We drove around there for a while and the guide pointed out some of the houses... He said most of the houses are really expensive simply because the address is Beverly Hills. This house for example would be about 5 million dollars:

The houses on the estate I live in are bigger than that and don't cost anywhere near 5 million! As we drove around Beverly Hills as well the guide pointed out on one side of the street the fire hydrants were painted yellow and in Beverly Hills they were painted silver. He said that was to make the dogs living in Beverly Hills feel special... I'm pretty sure he was messing about that point though :rotfl:
Next we headed down Rodeo Drive. We were supposed to stop here for 10-20 minutes again but we didn't. I took a whole one picture as we drove along but it was more so of the Christmas decorations than Jimmy Choos.

The guide told us to watch out for celebrities, we didn't see anyone though just lots of over-priced shops.

Next up: LA back to Anaheim.

Last edited:
Great update, Emma.

That ice cream looks really yummy. The pin business is crazy.

I have that Jim Shore piece with Tigger and the snowman.

I'm glad you got to see quite a few Disney stars, but that's too bad about the area and the stars being cracked, etc.

And nice that you saw some hands too. I would have cared less about Michael Jackson's myself.

The ice cream looks delicious!

I had the opposite thought of the area. I have heard what a dump Hollywood is...and has been for years....but I was impressed that it was a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. My friend said they are making an effort to make the area better lately.
Those people in costumes cracked me up. Some were so bad. There were 2 girls dressed up and not as anything recognizable but I guess if you have your chest sticking out there is hope a guy will stop and take a picture with you. :rotfl2:

I'm a local to Disneyland & it was interesting to read about your tour. I don't visit Hollywood, but understand about tourists wanting to see it. Unfortunately, it's not the best area. It's too bad that your tour was advertised to do a certain itinerary, but things were changed. Hope you didn't feel like you didn't get your money's worth. Can't wait hear more.

Great update, Emma.

That ice cream looks really yummy. The pin business is crazy.
I know the pin prices online make me sad especially with the likes of the Soda Fountain pins that can only be bought in that store. It makes it alot harder for the serious collectors to get them when people resell them for such high costs. :sad2:

I have that Jim Shore piece with Tigger and the snowman.
I love the Jim Shore stuff. I have a Beauty and the beast figure and grumpy playing piano sitting on top of my piano.

I'm glad you got to see quite a few Disney stars, but that's too bad about the area and the stars being cracked, etc.
There was stars for everything from The Munchkins to top name singers and film stars. The two most important ones to me were Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse and I found those so I was happy.

And nice that you saw some hands too. I would have cared less about Michael Jackson's myself.
I just thought it was funny because there was this young guy and girl near us that had a little monkey figure and they were trying to get a picture of the monkey on Michael Jacksons star and then on his hands and they were all excited about it.. Suppose that's what I look like in Disney though :lmao:

The ice cream looks delicious!
It was super yum :goodvibes

I had the opposite thought of the area. I have heard what a dump Hollywood is...and has been for years....but I was impressed that it was a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. My friend said they are making an effort to make the area better lately.
I think it was just the amount of cracks and dirt on the stars I wasn't expecting really which is probably dumb on my part considering how old some of them are. I did like the area I was just expecting a more glitz and glam I guess.

Those people in costumes cracked me up. Some were so bad. There were 2 girls dressed up and not as anything recognizable but I guess if you have your chest sticking out there is hope a guy will stop and take a picture with you. :rotfl2:
Most of the "super heroes" we saw were just grubby looking.. I also saw a lady dressed as Minnie Mouse except she was sitting on stairs and had the Minnie Mouse head in her hands. :eek:

I'm a local to Disneyland & it was interesting to read about your tour. I don't visit Hollywood, but understand about tourists wanting to see it. Unfortunately, it's not the best area. It's too bad that your tour was advertised to do a certain itinerary, but things were changed. Hope you didn't feel like you didn't get your money's worth. Can't wait hear more.
I did enjoy visiting the area just like I said above I was expecting more glitz and glam really. I don't really know what I expected with the stars but I was suprised when the likes of Walt Disney's was just randomly in front of a crappy looking supermarket like. The tour was still enjoyable even if it didn't follow the itinerary and the guide was really good. He literally did not stop talking when we were on that bus from the time we left Anaheim until we got back to Anaheim that night.

Was just adding the Day 2 video clips to the computer and took a few stills off it thought I'd share:

Look there's Mickey Mouse:

Poor Mickey Mouse was waving away and blowing kisses at the video camera and I missed a proper photo of him because I was busy being excited about Duffy who was on the same float :lmao:

Hey look it's those Frozen characters everyone seems to love:

I totally forgot about this bit as well. Lady Tremaine came right over to the camera and stuck her nose up at it:

Fireworks:

Last edited:
Olaf and Tigger...made my day.
Glad I could brighten your day in some way :goodvibes

Great photos of the parade from your video.
Thanks. I'm currently trying to make all the pictures and clips into the dvd bits. It takes ages and I can't decide what music to use but I had completely forgotten about stuff like the Lady Tremaine bit until I watched the video yesterday

Love the updates...

Hollywood - we also had a super time visiting the area last July.. It is really neat to finally see it in person rather than only on TV.

We also missed Rodeo Drive...decided to go to the beach instead..

Disney really looks neat during Christmas, we really need to go during the Holiday's.

Thanks for taking the time to treat us with an update. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the update and getting a photo of the Twilight prints! Awesome. So enjoying!

Love the updates...

Hollywood - we also had a super time visiting the area last July.. It is really neat to finally see it in person rather than only on TV.
I was so happy to see it. Plus it beat sitting at home or in work and it was probably cold and wet in Ireland at the time. It was sunny and warm in Hollywood :goodvibes

We also missed Rodeo Drive...decided to go to the beach instead..
You didn't miss that much with Rodeo Drive just a few really really really really expensive shops :rotfl2:

Disney really looks neat during Christmas, we really need to go during the Holiday's.
I love Disney at Christmas time. I'm not sure I'd be able to go any other time of year. Those castles are far to pretty lit up at night time

Thanks for taking the time to treat us with an update. :thumbsup2
No problem. Thanks for reading. It helps me live the trip for a few extra months especially when i've no other trip planned this year :(

Thanks for the update and getting a photo of the Twilight prints! Awesome. So enjoying!
No problem. I love twilight. I think I'm related to the vampires a bit :rotfl2: same surname, same cold hands and getting make-up the woman in the chemist told me I needed alabastar colour which is the colour the vampires are described as in the books :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I am all caught up again.

I am sorry that you have been so poorly.

There are two more Kingdom Keepers books out in March: Kingdom Keepers: The Return Disney Lands 31st March (First of three books) and The Syndrome: A Kingdom Keepers Adventure 3rd of March. I think they are somewhat of a spinoff, but as far as I am aware they feature the same characters.

I love It's A Small World Holiday all lit up. I am glad that you got a good spot for the parade.

You did better with the fireworks than I did. I never got to see them. They kept getting cancelled and then on the last evening when I thought they would get cancelled for sure because of the weather and did not bother going back to the park, I could hear them from the hotel. The castle looks really magical.

That is an interesting bit of trivia about the address of Disneyland. It looks like you got a lot of ground covered on the tour even though it did not stick to the itinerary. Well done on having the chance to get the Pin Traders Sundae.

Corinna

I am all caught up again.

I am sorry that you have been so poorly.
Thanks, It's taken 3 months but the coughing has finally died down a bit. The voice is still a bit dodgy with the singing but I have faith time will heal it fully.

Did you start your trip report yet? I've been a bad disser and only been watching my own I need to catch up on everyone elses trip reports soon.

There are two more Kingdom Keepers books out in March: Kingdom Keepers: The Return Disney Lands 31st March (First of three books) and The Syndrome: A Kingdom Keepers Adventure 3rd of March. I think they are somewhat of a spinoff, but as far as I am aware they feature the same characters.
I saw the Syndrome one advertised didn't know about the other one. Will have to watch ebay for them :goodvibes I still want the Mary Poppins she wrote book and the Beast within. Was hoping to get that in Disneyland but they only had the one about the Evil Queen :(

I love It's A Small World Holiday all lit up. I am glad that you got a good spot for the parade.
The front of Small World looked amazing lit up. WDW has taught me how to plan for parades and shows so we arrived in loads of time and were actually standing beside where the Holiday tour people were going to be sitting. :goodvibes

You did better with the fireworks than I did. I never got to see them. They kept getting cancelled and then on the last evening when I thought they would get cancelled for sure because of the weather and did not bother going back to the park, I could hear them from the hotel. The castle looks really magical.
I'm glad we stayed that night for the fireworks because with our trip plan there was really only one other night we could have seen them. Totally agree on the point of the castle. With the lights on it at night it's just gorgeous.

That is an interesting bit of trivia about the address of Disneyland. It looks like you got a lot of ground covered on the tour even though it did not stick to the itinerary. Well done on having the chance to get the Pin Traders Sundae.
The tour was great and I was so happy to finally have my own Soda Fountain pins I didn't really care what the characters were so long as I got them at cost price :goodvibes

Did you start your trip report yet? I've been a bad disser and only been watching my own I need to catch up on everyone elses trip reports soon.

No, I have not got started yet. I was away from the DIS a little over a month and only came back on Saturday. I have only started yesterday to download the photos and put them on Flickr. One memory card has been downloaded and put on Flickr. I am hoping to get a second one done today and also get started on the Photopass photos. I am planning on posting the first instalment of the trip report on Thursday.

I saw the Syndrome one advertised didn't know about the other one. Will have to watch ebay for them :goodvibes I still want the Mary Poppins she wrote book and the Beast within. Was hoping to get that in Disneyland but they only had the one about the Evil Queen :(

Amazon has fare prices on the the two Kingdom Keepers books. That is where I will get mine from.

Corinna

So Momma got a Visa card bill today turns out her card was hacked while we were in America. She only used this card 4 times in America. Once in Downtown Disney and in three different shops in New York airport while we were stopped there on the way home. At the moment we don't know where it was hacked but we think it was most likely one of the shops in the airport because all the transactions on it are for restaurants in New York and Brooklyn. The bank said there was a few other attempted transactions for a few other restaurants and shops that got denied but they were also in the Brooklyn area. Maybe just something to be wary of when travelling. :confused3

Anyway while I'm here I may as well do a trip update:

Day 3, part 3:

So when I left you we were driving down Rodeo drive looking at store fronts and hoping for a celebrity sighting! Next we headed to our final stop of the tour, The Farmers Market.

According to the itinerary we should have had 45 minutes here for a “lunch stop.” We actually had 30 minutes and Momma didn’t want to go to far from the bus so we went into the first shop where the tour guide said there would be bathrooms we could use. They had loads of quirky Christmas decorations like Santa on a motorbike:

Or Surfing Santa:

I also found jelly Smurfs in there.

I was going to get those but got stuck in the queue behind two people with big trollies full of stuff so ran out of time to pay for them :( Funny side story not trip related but my 4 year old nephew calls the 7 dwarves the 12 Smurfs. I have no idea where he’s that from :rotfl2:

Anyway back on the bus the guide said that the lady being late back to the bus on the first stop didn’t affect anything except the length of our time at the Farmers market, which seemed a kind of pointless stop at that time of day because nobody wanted food. Now it was time to head back to Anaheim but of course our guide continued to point out stuff along the way. I spotted an Irish pub:

This closed down coffee shop. The guide said it was rented out for movie companies:

CBS radio:

OLAF:

A pretty lake/fountain:

The Staples centre… I only know of this because Michael Jacksons Memorial was there and it was all over the news:

We passed the La Brea tar pits but I was the wrong side of the bus for a picture. According to the itinerary we were supposed to stop there but we never did. I was a little disappointed by that because I’d been listening to a podcast about them before going to California and they sounded kind of interesting. On the way back the guide continued explaining the California freeway system and telling us general stories about California like a story about a restaurant in Burbank whose bins kept getting robbed so they got surveillance cameras installed and it turned out it was a bear coming and stealing their bins because the bear clearly didn’t want to eat outside the restaurant. Clever bear if you ask me :lmao:

Overall I thought the tour was good and a great way to see L.A. especially for people like Momma and me who had never been there before. Regardless of the fact it didn’t stick strictly to the itinerary we still saw loads and to be honest I was kind of glad for extra time at the Walk of Fame and stuff like that. The tour guide, Dan was fantastic, he knew something about pretty much every building we saw and literally did not stop talking from the time we left Anaheim until we got back to Anaheim that night. I think though what I learnt most from the tour was that practically every inch of L.A. was used in some movie. :rotfl:

We got back to Anaheim after 6 and the guide was even good enough to drop us at the hotel we were planning on having dinner in, The Disneyland hotel, so we didn't have to walk to it. They had their Christmas decorations up outside the hotel:

Mickey and Minnie:

Then inside they had a giant gingerbread house:

Christmas trees in the lobby:

I need a tea cup chair and table for my house:

We headed outside then past the fantasy tower. Lookie Dumbo:

We also passed the Monorail pool on our way to our restaurant of choice:

Next up: Dinner at the mad house!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter