?? For Parents In Park w/Potty Training LO's

ttfn2u2pooh

Mouseketeer
My DD is in the middle of potty training. I was actually hoping that I could put it off until after our trip in mid Sept but she's running the show on this one. I imagine I'll still have the need for pull-ups while on our vacation. I've had her try to use public restrooms twice and it didn't work either time for two reasons... one due to the size as she uses a little kid potty right now. And two, they're quite noisy while flushing. She's getting more used to the flushing aspect of larger toilets but I think the feeling of falling into the toilet is something that will take awhile to get used to.

Question, is there anywhere in DLR that has the little bitty potty's for little bitty bottoms? If they do, can someone tell me where I might find them in and around both parks? It might be really handy to have a listing for myself of this information.

Lastly, I cannot imagine I am the only person who will have had to deal with this situation so if anyone wants to throw out some of their handy tidbits on how you handled your situation I'd love to hear them.

Thanks! :wizard:

Yes! The Baby Care Center on Main Street has a perfectly sized potty for the little ones. It is just the right height and size! :) As you walk toward the castle, the Baby Care Center is at the end of Main Street on the right. Unfortunately there aren't other Baby Care Centers in Disneyland...but the one they have is great!

There's a kid sized potty in the baby care center of DCA as well. It's over by the first aid station adjacent to pacific wharf/near the bread bakery area.

We used to bring post it notes for when our daughter used the regular bathroom toilets to cover up the flushing sensor (darn automatic toilets), and a folding potty "adapter" seat to fit on top of the regular seat.

Head to toysRus or toysRus online and look at their training seats - they are folding and portable. We used to carry one around in my purse inside a ziplock baggy. Really great products, there are different kinds out there too (we had a thomas tank one). Also, I saw on their online shop there was a "watch" that was a potty timer, tells them when they should go etc - I think that might be nice to have on a trip, as it's easy to let time get away from you - plus your child might think it's pretty special too :)

Folding seat is the way forward!! :thumbsup2

While there are little toilets for the little ones... I have found that they are HIGHLY inconvenient most of the time. It's really hard to run from one end of the park to the other when your newly potty trained one needs to go, and make it there on time! I would definitely do pull ups and also buy one of the folding toilet seats if you're worried that she will not be able to sit on a big potty. However - you still have a month before you go. In her world that is a long time. I'd work on learning to potty on the big potty without anything.

Personally I do *NOT* recommend the folding potty seats at all. I had one for my daughter and it collapsed on her! She was so scared even though I (mostly) caught her. After that the only way she would use a big potty was if it had a sturdy big potty ring on it--I carted around a Baby Bjorn potty ring everywhere we went (the mall, everywhere!) for the LONGEST time. It was always in a shopping bag in the bottom of the stroller.

Anyhow, I learned my lesson and taught my son to use the big potty (sitting) without the ring quite quickly--and we did NOT use a folding seat at all with him.

I am potty training 4 kiddos right now in my daycare... We do not wear pullups for potty training, we wear big kid undies...each morning the kiddos get to pick out a pair of big kid undies from my big bag of special underwear. They go potty, then put the new undies on...we set the timer for 1 hour, and when it goes off, everyone goes potty. I have enough potty chairs for each child, but alos rotate them through using the big potty so they get used to it... we are having a lot of success with this method- I agree with taking the portable potty seat and pullups in case you need them, but wiht a month to go, if you are aggressive about it, you can do it. Buy her some new princess panties and make a huge deal about being a big kid and wearing big kid panties :)

I am sure you can buy some super cute princess undies at DL as well - what a treat that would be for her :thumbsup2

We never had an issue with the folding seats - but if you are worried we got a potty ring for a friend at our dollar store (dollarama) for only $2 --- a steal (that's their normal price, not a sale or anything) - it works great but it is larger so yep, bottom of the stroller it would go :)

Thank you all for your reply's. I didn't even think about one of those folding potty seats as those might be the best option since only having one place for bitty potty's in each park probably won't work all too often. I'll still go with the pull-ups but a month from now she might be against them and like one PP said, time will most likely fly while we're there.

I found a folding one on the Leaps and Bounds website that has really good reviews (and over 400 of them) and it's not a bad price at $9.95. I have tried the big girl panties and so far she has decided it was more fun to pee in those instead. I like the idea about the watches but they're so dang expensive. Maybe I'll have to set my own timer and get more on the ball myself.

I'm not that keen on bringing her own potty seat from home as it's so big and bulky and I can't guarantee that we'll take her stroller every time with us to the park.

Thank you all for the suggestions and for letting me know that we CAN find a bitty potty for her. That in itself might be a fun little adventure for her. :rotfl:

Buy 2 things before you go.

http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=16576417&RN=7054&

and post it notes.

The foldable travel potty is pretty small, it easily fits in a gallon freezer bag and it will make any potty kid sized. Then stick a post-it note on the auto flush sensor. That will keep it from going off randomly. When she finishes you can make sure she's completely off the potty before removing the note so it doesn't scare her by flushing while she's on it.

My DD is in the middle of potty training. I was actually hoping that I could put it off until after our trip in mid Sept but she's running the show on this one. I imagine I'll still have the need for pull-ups while on our vacation. I've had her try to use public restrooms twice and it didn't work either time for two reasons... one due to the size as she uses a little kid potty right now. And two, they're quite noisy while flushing. She's getting more used to the flushing aspect of larger toilets but I think the feeling of falling into the toilet is something that will take awhile to get used to.

Question, is there anywhere in DLR that has the little bitty potty's for little bitty bottoms? If they do, can someone tell me where I might find them in and around both parks? It might be really handy to have a listing for myself of this information.

Lastly, I cannot imagine I am the only person who will have had to deal with this situation so if anyone wants to throw out some of their handy tidbits on how you handled your situation I'd love to hear them.

Thanks! :wizard:

:dance3::dance3::dance3:

IMO, if you can get her used to sitting on the big potty before you get to DL, you've pretty much won the war. Our daughter never had any trouble adjusting to adult sized toilets but I know some kids do. Once she's got that, your only other hurdle is getting her to go when she needs to. Some people set regular potty breaks, but that's not always practical when your at Disneyland. Potty breaks ever hour or two, "just in case", is a waste of valuable time. I think the best course of action is to know your childs signs of "gotta go" and watch for them. If you know the signs, you can take action when it's needed instead of when you should be on Peter Pan. We were potty training our daughter during our 5-day trip to Disneyland, too. We never used pull-ups and we never had an accident. But I was very aware of her signs.

In my day there were no pull ups, you just packed 3, 2 gallon ziplock bags with sets of clothes, inside to outside, up to down. So, you had 3 complete outfits. The 4th, 2 Gallon ziplock bag, was packed with hot clean wash clothes in separate sandwich bags, in the 2 gallon ziplock bag. Then you were set for the day.

I found that if you start talking about needing to go to the Potty 5 to 10 minutes before you actually find one, the child is primed to go when you get there!!

The first two to three potties on each side of the rows are super short! Don't my arthritic knees know!! Getting up from them is hard! I go toward the end where they have the taller potties.

Also there are Family Bathrooms, where Mom and 1 child or Mom and 3 children can go in like at home, it is just the way you need it to be. And works well for your situation!

I agree with not bringing the pull-ups. Bring extra panties and shorts. Also, another agreement on a toddler toilet seat- but not a folding one. If you're going to have a stroller, you can just throw the normal one in the basket.

Also, I am not a fan of using little potties for potty training. We bought this seat for our toilet:

http://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-86CP-000-NextStep-Non-Tarnish/dp/B003IKONT8

and a step stool for our 18 month old, and she had NO problems whatsoever using a normal toilet. I just think those portable plastic potties are gross. And like you mentioned, they need to get used to the big, normal toilet, so why create more speed bumps along the way? Just start with it! :)

My DD is in the middle of potty training.... I've had her try to use public restrooms twice and it didn't work either time for two reasons... one due to the size as she uses a little kid potty right now. And two, they're quite noisy while flushing. She's getting more used to the flushing aspect of larger toilets but I think the feeling of falling into the toilet is something that will take awhile to get used to.

when I was potty training, I remember being afraid of the big toilet because it was noisy and I was afraid of falling into the toilet and being sucked down the drain! :laughing:

If your DD is having similar fears, you could do what my mom did... she told me that the toilet only liked to eat poo and pee and the toilet did not like to eat little girls at all! That helped me very much to conquer my fear of the big toilets.

I let my three run the show on potty learning and they chose the week before we had a planned trip to DL with my sister and her family. LOL Amazingly enough we only had one accident there!

DD3 was terrified of the large potties, but the small ones helped a lot. I also brought a folding seat and post its which helped.

The biggest help was a bag of pennies and quarters. Each time after the potty we'd "happen to pass" a pressed penny machine and I let them get one. I never called it a reward or anything. It was just another joyful connection for their brains to make with the potty.

Have fun! (And toss a full change of clothing into the bottom of the stroller just in case. I learned my lesson about only bringing bottoms because pee will spread everywhere and get on tees, too! blech!)

If your DD is having similar fears, you could do what my mom did... she told me that the toilet only liked to eat poo and pee and the toilet did not like to eat little girls at all!
What a good idea! Be sure, though, that that's what the child is scared of. If it's just the noise that's scary and you tell the child the toilet won't eat them, you're actually planting an idea they'd never thought of before and giving them something new to be scared of! LOL. :upsidedow I don't remember being potty trained, but when I was a little older I was afraid witches would come out when the drain was opened during flushing.

Haha! My brother was afraid ot pee in bathrooms that had concrete floors with drains in the middle of them- he was afraid the ninja turtles would watch him while he went,lol...so we had to cover the drain with a paper towel, and say "no peeking down there" lol...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter