For Non-thrill seekers, Universal & IOA worth it?

lauralong81

(insert witty, Disney related remark here)
We're headed down to Florida yet again this spring. We've done Disney every April/May for the past 3 years with our kids. We love it, of course. This year, DH asked if we could do Universal. Since I can't really justify doing Disney the way I want to *PLUS* Universal - I caved and said lets just do Universal/IOA then we'll do the beach for a few days after.

Wondering now if I'm going to regret this decision. See, I'm a big sissy! :laughing: DH is the only true thrill seeker in our family. Kids will be 6 and 7 when we go. DD5 is a moderate-thrill-seeker but not the big coasters (she's done smaller ones). DS6 is with me on the thrills... he'd rather be in the gift shop. ;) Magic Kingdom is by far our favorite park overall, as it's got the most amount of gentle, "baby" rides... DS was mad that I took him on Test Track, as he was scared so much. And frankly, I don't like it that much either. I loved Soarin, but still close my eyes on some parts. I don't do "drops" well. The one thing I do love is Harry Potter, and that makes me want to go just for the ambiance alone of Hogsmeade!! (I will force myself to ride some of the rides though, I'm sure)

So, your opinion.... wait until the kids are older? Is there much for them and me to do while DH is riding the thrillers? I'm guessing the shows (and Jaws) will be too much for them too, so other than hanging out in Hogsmeade and Dr. Suess land, I'm guessing there's not much else.

Your thoughts please!!! :confused3 And maybe explain some of the rides to me that would or would not work? Anything with monsters, fire, explosions, etc, will scare the kids. They're pretty noise-sensitive.

If you like Harry Potter then going to IOA will be great, even if you don't want to do Forbidden Journey you can still walk around with your DH and then duck out at the last minute. There is a childrens area is Suess Landing and most of the rides are not intense.

I have two thrill seekers DS 11 and DD 9 and they want to do everything so I odn't have the same problems. If you don't mind the simulator rides (I don't do so well on these) then you will enjoy Spiderman, Simpsons, etc.

I think US & IOA are well worth the visit, even if you don't like thrills, they are fantastic parks and well worth the experience.

Enjoy!

YES! I'm SO not a thrill seeker (but my husband is) and I love the parks. I don't do drops, lots of spinning or any sort of roller coaster. That being said here's what I do:

IOA
1. Spiderman (closes your eyes during the "drop" you aren't really moving just the images around you are so with your eyes closed there is no feeling of falling)
2. Flight of the Hippogriff (This was a first for me this time and it's a "roller coaster" but for families - it doesn't even have a belt and it doesn't drop - just goes down slowly - I loved it!)
3. Anything in Seuss Landing (Cat in the Hat is a little bit spinny - and kind of rough to me but I rode it with no problems)
That doesn't seem like a lot but I love just walking around and looking at everything and taking in the atmosphere

Universal
1. Shrek 4D (great show!)
2. Men In Black (some spinning - my understanding is it varies depending on the ride but ours was very little. Our guide said the max was 5 times at the end)
3. ET (LOVE!)
4. Horror Make Up Show
5. Jaws (no drops at all)
6. Disaster
7. Probably other kid rides that I'm not familiar with

These are great parks with lots to enjoy even if you aren't a thrill seeker. Consider staying on site the front of the line is especially a benefit if everyone in your party doesn't ride. It means that those who do will get on and off sooner so you can keep moving!

Your thoughts please!!! :confused3 And maybe explain some of the rides to me that would or would not work? Anything with monsters, fire, explosions, etc, will scare the kids. They're pretty noise-sensitive.
Universal Studios would probably be better for you than IOA, as there is less intense stuff there.

Men in Black has aliens, but YOU SHOOT THEM WITH YOUR LASER GUN! So you're safe there. :upsidedow

ET also has aliens, but they are friendly aliens.

Jaws is mostly tame, but there are explosions, since the shark is trying to attack you and the skipper has a grenade launcher...

Disaster is also mostly tame. The big sequence at the end has some explosions, but it's because you're making a disaster movie!

Shrek is a 4D show, and you can just close your eyes during the scary sequences, if needed (they're mostly cheesy)

Popeye & Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges is a water rapids ride in a circular raft. You get soaked.

Flight of the Hippogriff is a kiddie coaster.

Spider-Man is a slow moving 3D ride with great special effects and one "explosion" effect.

All the stuff in Seuss Landing is tame

Plus there are huge play areas (Kidzone in USF; Camp Jurassic in IOA) that can be used for "breaks"

Wow! Great advice everyone, thanks so much! I feel a lot better about it now. Who knows, maybe I will board a coaster or too (yeah right!).... I'm very excited about the atmosphere of it and the characters & play areas... Now I know it's not a "disney" atmosphere, but it still sounds like a blast to just be there. :) Since DH is another kid sometimes, it will be nice to see him so excited too...lol.

Thanks again!
-Laura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter