For long time on-site fans, how did your off-site experience compare?

Mommydar

Perpetual Planner of trips to The World
How did the overall experience measure up when you tried out an off site resort? We are staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in May, and while the resort looks beautiful, I keep lamenting not having the entire "magical experience." Overall, was it worth the savings? Was it worth the extra hassle of having to get there, and did you truly feel like you were on a "Disney" vacation? Would you do it again off-site or did it reaffirm the benefits of staying on property? I wouldn't mind knowing where you stayed too when you reply.

I don't know if we qualify as long-term on-site people, but we had stayed on-site 4 times (plus a quick 3 day trip where we stayed at Doubletree on property). 3 of those trips we had free dining.

Our last trip we stayed off-site at a pool home in Emerald Island. There were 13 of us (7 bedroom house). Before we were crammed in 4 hotel rooms.

We loved off-site. It's cheaper, more relaxing, just as magical. We're going back in May and we'll be off-site again. Getting to the parks didn't feel like a hassle and it was nice to not have the long walk back to the room, just pulling up to the front door instead.

We just completed our 2nd Bonnet Creek vacation, after many on-site trips. I can't imagine staying anywhere else now. We could see the Epcot ball from our balcony and watch Illuminations and Wishes from our room. Where on-site can you do that? I love that it is almost literally on-site. The drives to the parks are so quick and easy. I would never want to wait around for Disney buses again. But, if you like that convenience, there is a free shuttle. Also, the pool areas are fantastic: 2 lazy rivers, which my kids all love, plus jacuzzis, pools, a slide and mini-golf. Our first stay was a first floor right outside the mini-golf and that was fun, too, as the ducks would visit us everyday. :) And don't get me started on the price! We just stayed in the 4bed/4bath Presidential Suite Thanksgiving week for LESS than the price of 2 value rooms that week! :thumbsup2

I've done three onsite stays, all at OKW, and four offsite---three pool home/townhome, and one Bonnet Creek. We only stay in places where the kids and parents have separate sleeping spaces, with full kitchens and in-unit laundry. For us, all of those are pretty important features.

Comparing a 2BR OKW to a 2BR at Bonnet Creek, I like the fact that OKW is a little more peaceful and spread out, but I like the fact that everything at Bonnet Creek is close by---two sides of the same coin. The room sizes are similar---OKW seemed to have a little more space, but BC was better outfitted for a family with more than four (the dining table at OKW only seats four). I liked the large balcony at OKW, but I liked the view overlooking all of Epcot, with the castle in the distance, at Bonnet Creek. I enjoyed the fact that Bonnet Creek had Stacy's Must-Sees on one of their TV channels. My wife hates Stacy, and was hoping to escape her by avoiding OKW. ;) We thought the bedding was a little more comfortable, with nicer linens, at Bonnet Creek.

Overall, I thought the two experiences pretty similar. I might pay a *little* more to stay at OKW---mostly because every once in a while, we do like the transportation convenience. I would not pay a lot more.

If the choice were between a 2BR at Bonnet Creek, and "just a hotel room" at any Disney resort, I'd stay at Bonnet Creek, even if the cost was the same---in fact, I'd pay more for it. But, that's because I can't imagine staying in "just a hotel room" with my kids for more than one night, or maybe two.

As a caveat: we always get a rental car, and we drive ourselves almost everywhere (including MK after *two* different 1+ hour bus trips to MK in the afternoons on our last OKW visit). We avoid EMH in hopes of avoiding crowds. So, the two big "Disney perks" aren't a big deal to us, except when we're hoping to have a glass of wine with dinner, or a margarita as we stroll world showcase.

definitely a disney nut.

but like offsite too.

now bonnet creek was a disappointment to me. It was not that great to me. lot of the stuff was not top of the line. some of it is downright cheap. so that was disappointed - the pool in the morning was not heated so it was cold.

the lake is beautifully. really wanted a firework views but got a lake view instead. So part of the fireworks walking one night - but it was not same for me.

also stayed at Cypress Pointe, Sheraton Vistana Resort, Bryan's, Orange Lake, Celebration world resort, westgate (which I really, really hate - those people are thiefs), Marriott's Grande Vista, Hilton Grand Vacation Club and w bonnet creek.

have Marriott's grande vista and marriott's cypress harbour, embassy - for next year

at Disney own at DVC and have stayed at all of them.

it is different - but if the budget is a problem - definitely stay offsite. just remember to put in the rental car (unless you are driving) in the budget too.

don't ever let your budget get in trouble over a trip to WDW. that is easy to do - and it is hard to get it back.

I like offsite better now. I get a cheaper hotel with a free breakfast. Which in it self save money. I have plenty of restaurants to choose without calling months in reservation. Can use gift cards for restaurants results in free food.

Don't get wrong I love on site but they don't have enough simple American restaurants choice for me. I don't like odd food.

We stay off site at Wyndham Bonnet Creek if we are more in the relax mode. On site is full blown tour. Both have there benifits.

We have really enjoyed our 2 offsite stays the 1st being in June which ended up being about the hottest week of the entire summer with temp about 115 at midnight most nights. We ended up spending more time in our condo that trip an really really liked the extra room, having a place to actually fix a quick breakfast is very nice. I get the frozen sausage patties that you cook yourself do that with either eggs an biscuits or waffles or pancakes that are quick.

Sometimes we eat dinner or supper at the condo usually heated up leftovers from a meal out an a veggie on the side. It is so NICE to be able to eat in our condo in the peace an quiet if we choose...not having to wait inline for fast food or wait for table for TS to know that this meal there will be no screaming children within hearing distance much less right on top of us....BTW WE LOVE children but we have done our time an now it's nice to pick an choose when we want that experince.

When we have stayed onsite we have always used disney transportation we won't make that mistake again BERY nice to get in own car after long hot day in parks an not be exchanging sweat with others.

when we have stayed onsite we have stayed value resorts which leaves no place for 1 person who is a night owl to be up an awake without disturbing others in same room. Condo is great for that.

DH an I travel just the 2 of us yet a 2bed/2bath is ideal for us because I put my clothes in 2nd bed an shower in 2nd bath allowing us both to get ready at same time without falling over each other.

We have stayed offsite twice this year an will again next week.....we staying offsite 2 an 3 bedroom/2bath condos very very close to disney twice in a 5 star resort for less than 1 value room at disney.

We do have a room reserved at POP Century in Feb for about 49.00 a night including tax If a deal on condo should open up then we might cancel at POP. We also looking at the fact parks close early in Feb an taking advantage of PM EMH might be nice....during times when parks open till 9 or 10 pm late night EMH not so appealing to us.

Which is something to consider how important EMH is to you an yours? Do you have family members who would enjoy sleepin in an joing you at park later? Going back to room before you for a nap or swim etc if so then onsite is the way to go..

Off-site was fantastic, just different.

Pros: Free breakfast, cheaper, more room, free dinner, free internet, visits to other attractions, beach, outlets, full size fridge, microwave, dishwasher.

Cons: Family cannot split up easily, no EMH, no themed pool / grounds, no food court, no watching fireworks from resort, driving and parking to parks.

We often do a split stay to get the best of both worlds.

We had a non-Disney Orlando/Kissimmee trip last month, so this doesn't totally fit your question, but we stayed off-site. When I first looked into booking I checked the WDW resorts. Only POR was available for our dates... but for 50% LESS, I booked a 2-bdrm at Royale Parc Suites. Then a very helpful DISer tipped me off to an online special, and I got another 30% off my rate!!

This place is 1 mile from the main gate, on Hwy192 next to Celebration. Was super easy to navigate to/from, especially since there is a slingshot/bungee type rig just next to the hotel, and that thing is visible from far away!

If we have other non-Disney trips, or are bringing other family members for budget trips, we wouldn't hesitate to stay at RPS again. The room was just like the online pix, decent kitchenette, 2 full baths, and the free breakfast helped before we hit each day's adventure (space shuttle launch, tour of KSC, airboat ride, DTD and Epcot!).

Since we squeeze all we can out of a day (and that's where we get our magic! :wizard:), the theme of a room doesn't make-or-break it for us. But for a WDW destination, we'll probably continue to stay onsite for the convenience. We hope to try a mod next time, and a deluxe eventually.

We always rent a car, so the transportation isn't a huge perk at Disney. But, we have stayed onsite for 20 years. Last year, we stayed at Cypress Point Grand Villas. We enjoyed it, but felt we were a little removed from Disney. This year, we tried Bonnet Creek and loved it. Our room was on the top floor with a wonderful fireworks view. We were lucky enough to see the MK and Epcot fireworks. We had a two bedroom unit which was well maintained. No pressure about taking a tour. They asked once upon check-in and we received one phone call. We saved so much money and had so much more space. I'm not saying I wouldn't return to a hotel onsite, but it would take a very nice incentive. We just priced a trip for 5 nights at POR and were quoted almost 1300.00 (room only). Our week long stay at BC was a little over 700.00. Our stay at CPGV's (two bedroom) was 350.00 through Skyauction! Now that was a deal!

We also enjoy both for different reasons like it is cheaper to stay off site and can extend the amount of time we spend at WDW. On site allows us to be close to everything. It also seems like there are less crowds because we do not have to venture down 192 or I4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter