For all you solo travelers...

lttlmc3

You can ship it, I'll still eat it!
I've been having a pretty stressful time lately and I love the idea of a solo trip to Disney. I can't imagine a better place to destress. The only thing is...I just can't push myself to try it. I'm afraid of going it alone. What was the one thing that pushed you to do it? Were you afraid at first? What conquered your fears?

I have to say I was a little nervous the first time I went because I saw so many families or couples and I felt a little out of place. After a while, I discovered the advantages of traveling solo (eat what and when you want, ride a certain ride ten times in a row, etc.). When I wanted to talk to someone, I could always call home or strike up a conversation with someone in line. I'm going for a few days next week and plan on doing some reading and writing.

Take the plunge and go. I guarantee you'll enjoy yourself.

Yes, I was nervous! I planned a trip with an old friend, but as it turned out, she had to leave a few days before I did. Instead of changing my plans, I decided to have a few solo days. I'm really glad I did! It's a bit luxurious, as it turned out - you can indulge *yourself* with whatever floats your boat. I shopped a bit - at the stores *I* wanted to shop in. I stopped for a favorite snack without holding anyone else up. I rode my favorite ride a dozen times a day. I talked to CMs. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :)

I love doing Disney solo. As was said, you get to do what you want when you want. You don't have to ask permission or worry about what someone else wants to see. I wear a lanyard which helps me meet people. Can you tell I'm an extrovert?
Disney is a great place for a solo trip.

I've never been afraid to do things on my own; in fact, I prefer it that way. So after several WDW trips with friends, I developed a yen to try WDW solo. I finally took the solo plunge for the first time in 1999, and had a fabulous time.

I think I only experienced one moment of real nervousness, after I got off the plane at MCO and was on my way to baggage claim. I stopped by some large windows that overlooked the tarmac, and standing there, looking out at the palm trees (which we don't have in Maryland!) it dawned on me just how far from home I was and that I had no family or friends in town to contact in case of emergency.

But I then thought, You've travelled alone as far as Ocen City and Virginia Beach before; this is no different, except that it's farther away and more fun than those places. So I gathered up my luggage and headed for the rental car desk, and soon I was at WDW, having the time of my life.

Getting to WDW completely eliminated any nervousness I felt, because it was such familiar territory. I had been to WDW 7 times before, so I knew the parks, the resorts, even the roads, well enough to navigate without getting lost, and the familiarity of the parks, their attractions, smells, and background music, all made me feel completely relaxed. It was the most relaxing trip I had ever taken, and made me want to go solo from then on. Which I pretty much have, except that I meet up with friends at WDW for MouseFest every year.

I also love to do things alone. I have yet to get to Disney alone...that may be because of the 2 kids I have. But where theres a will theres a way.

my first trip alone is less then 5 weeks away and driving a 1000 miles alone but looking forward to it but honestly nervous so i am goin to celebrate 31 alone and be a big boy now

What made me want to do Disney alone? Peace & quiet for a whole week such an impossibity at home with 3 grandkids at home plus mom & dad (theirs)I've made most of my adrs and am getting excited!!

I've been having a pretty stressful time lately and I love the idea of a solo trip to Disney. I can't imagine a better place to destress. The only thing is...I just can't push myself to try it. I'm afraid of going it alone. What was the one thing that pushed you to do it? Were you afraid at first? What conquered your fears?
I also was a little nervous about my first solo trip (12 years ago-lots has changed!). But my first solo trip was a gift from my family, a "Mom's weekend". I had to keep telling myself that they believed I could do it, so I couldn't let them down. And on the airplane, I was terrified of air sickness, which I'd had, but I was seated next to a small child. I didn't dare barf on that poor little kid, so I survived. I doubt that helps you, but you CAN talk yourself into it-then you'll be so glad you did!

My first solo trip I wasn't nervous because it wasn't to be a solo trip until the last minute. The week before final payment was due my friend bailed out on me. I'd already paid my share and I was determined to not let my trip be ruined just because she bailed. Stubbornness that I was still going to have my Disney trip prevented me from being nervous. :rolleyes:

My solo trip last September came about because I needed escapism from high stress levels due to the unexpected passing of my father and an extremely stressful and crappy job. I began planning that trip on April 2 and some days it was the only thing that kept me going. That solo week at WDW was the best week of my life last year. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

The only thing is...I just can't push myself to try it. I'm afraid of going it alone.

Try a couple of "assignments" before you try solo and see how you feel.

1)Go to a matinee by yourself for a movie you are really looking forward to.
2)Have breakfast at a restaraunt solo. I say breakfast because I always see business types solo with their newspaper and you will feel more comfortable.
3)Plan a day for yourself on a weekend. Plan it out however you want- I like to have a peaceful breakfast without the kids that I didn't have to cook, go shopping, hang out in a bookstore, go antiquing, etc. Do whatever you want all day by yourself.

If you have a really good time it may give you the push you need. I have taken a couple of trips by myself, but this will be my first time solo at WDW. I wasn't worried about being by myself because already I know I have a lot of fun and feel pretty comfortable as a party of 1.

I haven't gone entirely solo just yet. Last time I went with my sister and cousin we split up for two days (they like water parks but I can't swim) and I toured solo. It was awesome.
Personally I'm one of those people who prefers doing things alone, and I prefer the company of my dog to the company of most humans.
I just booked a solo trip in January, I'll be at WDW for a week just me and my doggie, and I'm very much looking forward to it. Two days solo was awesome, a whole week is going to be even better!
Seriously, give it a shot, it's a lot of fun, and total freedom because you don't have to consider anyone else's plans but yours.

I just got back from my second solo trip. I love doing Disney on my own. When it got too hot in the parks and I wanted to go back and nap till it wasn't so hot, I didn't have to worry about how that might effect anything anyone else wanted to do. When it was still hot in the parks at night and I needed to get out of the heat, I didn't have to worry if anyone else wanted to watch an inside show instead of go on rides.

As for eating, I've found Le Cellier and Narcoosees were the best for not making me sit around waiting forever. Kona was the worst (food was good but service was soooo slow), but the couple next to me was very friendly and we had a nice chat about the different Disney resorts we'd each been to.

I'm an early morning person, and getting up and out early (and coming back and napping) is easier on your own. The added bonus to that is that my room has always been cleaned early.

I haven't been solo yet, but I am booked *so excited*.

I decided to go because (1) my DS will be with his dad, and I don't want to be home moping around by myself, (2) I am so very comfortable in WDW, (3) I can celebrate by b-day and (4) I can celebrate my graduation.

After the divorce, I went back to university for five years, and I think I deserve a good vacation where I am not "mom" or any of the other hats I have to normally wear! Rather, I can be myself and do what feels right for me. I don't think I am being selfish, but we can all use some alone time, and what better place than the World?

I am also going solo for the first time this November. I had originally started to book with my family who decided to wait and go next year. I, on the other hand, could not wait until next year. My plan is to go ever year. If someone wants to go with me :woohoo:, if not :sad1:. I am so looking forward to this trip. The one thing I would have been worried about was the transfer to and from the airport, but since the Magical Express, I have no worries. I'm not crazy about flying solo, but since the flying part is only six hours (round trip) out of a full weeks worth of fun, I think I could do that standing on my head. I am looking foward doing what I want, when I want, as many times as I want. I'm going to be a 37-year-old kid in a candy store :banana:.

I think you should take a solo trip. If you are unsure, make it a short trip. Do a long weekend. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. But whatever you do make sure you do it in Disney. :)

A couple of years ago My sister bought me a book for Xmas - traveling single, or something like that. At first I was upset, thinking that this is what my live has turned into for me, ALONE. I have bribed freinds and faimly to travel with me many times, on occassion, the stress is not worth the company.

So two years ago, I took the plunge and booked a long weekend for myslef in Disney. I have Cousins about 1.5 hours away, so I knew If I needed help they would be close. The don't like Disney so I didn't call them to tell them of my plans.
I was a little aprehensive at first, traveling by myself is not so bad, I have many times to visit relatives, but my biggest fear of all is to eat out alone. I do take out a lot at home, but never to a resturant by myself.
The rest is really easy, most people even when traveling in groups, split up on rides, and single rider line is a big help. Most people in Disney are real eager to talk, and I can talk to just about anyone, especially the CM's.
I have since traveled several times solo, and last trip booked lunch in a resutrant alone, but had a difficult time thinking everyone was watching me alone. SO I read while I ate. But the rest is Wonderful, you go wherever you want when you want, and shop all you want.
Go For IT!

I am also going solo for the first time this November. I had originally started to book with my family who decided to wait and go next year. I, on the other hand, could not wait until next year. My plan is to go ever year. If someone wants to go with me :woohoo:, if not :sad1:. I am so looking forward to this trip. The one thing I would have been worried about was the transfer to and from the airport, but since the Magical Express, I have no worries. I'm not crazy about flying solo, but since the flying part is only six hours (round trip) out of a full weeks worth of fun, I think I could do that standing on my head. I am looking foward doing what I want, when I want, as many times as I want. I'm going to be a 37-year-old kid in a candy store :banana:.

I think you should take a solo trip. If you are unsure, make it a short trip. Do a long weekend. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. But whatever you do make sure you do it in Disney. :)

Hello did you get my email?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter