For all of you who drive the overnight ...

NHDisneyMom

Mouseketeer
What are the secrets to staying awake? We are planning to drive for our cruise next spring. We have talked about getting up and leaving at 4am but I have read that many of you leave around dinner time the night before and drive through the night. I see the advantage to this but I'm worried about being able to stay awake all night. I know my DH and I could switch off, but I'm still afraid of the driver nodding off. I would love to avoid traffic spots by driving the overnight. What are your secrets to staying awake?

Also, any NH drivers out there? Any advice? This will be our first time driving to FL. If we do break it up to two days, I would like to get the majority of the driving done the first day so we have a shorter ride the second day.

Thanks!

Honestly if you are looking for "tips to stay awake" this indicates to me that this is dangerous. And the truth is that it is dangerous. There are reasons bus drivers and truck drivers have regulations on the amount of time they can drive. It's better to arrive a day late then to have a tragic outcome because "we can't wait to get there"

Probably, it is not sensible to attempt this on your first time doing the drive. Not everyone does the overnights. Or even all the time. We function very well as a driving team overnight, and we still don't frequently choose this method.

Enjoy the :car:

I would say unless you are accustom to working overnights that anyone that drives through the night is taking on a certain level of risk.

It's not a "can't wait to get there" attitude. It's an "I don't want to sit in rush hour traffic" attitude. :thumbsup2

We are planning to make it a two day drive but I was curious how people do drive the overnight. Are they usually people that work the overnights and are used to it? Energy drinks? Insomniacs? Ipod blaring in the ear? Do they worry about falling asleep? I can see how this would be an attractive option and I'm curious how people manage to pull it off.

BTW, 4am is not a problem for us - we are swim team parents. ;)

I don't do driving overnight on the trip south, too dangerous. I always stop before dark.

We often drive overnight to avoid traffic in the NYC-DC area. But my DH is a shift worker and is very used to driving overnight. Unless you are used to this, I would not recommend driving overnight. Driving tired is just as bad as driving impaired, and you wouldn't even consider doing that.

I would say to try the 4am strategy, you'll be stimulated with the start of the trip and will start to get tired when the traffic is building around rush hour. That's a good time to get off the road anyway. Stop for a bite and a rest and then see if you feel like putting in a few more hours on the road.

From NH, it's approx. 24 driving hours or so. You could either put in a couple of 12 hr days from 4-4pm and have a nice evening with dinner and some pool time, but get to DW at supper time. Or drive a few more hours on day 1, and arrive at DW around noon. Your room won't be ready maybe, but you'll be able to get in some park time.

We've done it many different ways and I personally like arriving at supper time, hit DTD for bite, go back to the room and a little swim. Next day, it's game on!:cool1:

Good luck and safe driving:thumbsup2

Honestly if you are looking for "tips to stay awake" this indicates to me that this is dangerous. And the truth is that it is dangerous. There are reasons bus drivers and truck drivers have regulations on the amount of time they can drive. It's better to arrive a day late then to have a tragic outcome because "we can't wait to get there"

I have to agree. If you have any thoughts that you may not be able to do it, then please don't! For your family's safety, and the safety of everyone else on the road.

We are planning to make it a two day drive but I was curious how people do drive the overnight. Are they usually people that work the overnights and are used to it? Energy drinks? Insomniacs? Ipod blaring in the ear? Do they worry about falling asleep? I can see how this would be an attractive option and I'm curious how people manage to pull it off.

OK, for us, here's how it goes.

1. I get extra sleep the 3 nights before we travel.
2. I take a nap (2-3 hours) late in the afternoon of travel.
3. I drive, with rest stops, until about 1 a.m. My husband sleeps well in the car.
4. He does a couple hour shift from 1-3 a.m. I sleep in the car.
5. I take over until the sun comes up. He sleeps.
6. He does daylight driving until we arrive, with rest stops.

I find it easy to drive overnight given those parameters. I bring a book on my Zune and a new comedy album, and I'm fine. Personally, my bad time to be on the road is any day, from about 3-6 p.m. Just. Can't. Stay. Awake. That's when I use something like 5 hour energy.

That being said, we actually prefer to slip out the afternoon of a supposed overnight trip and get part-way, and then enjoy a good dinner and good night's sleep. My children enjoy a full day's travel in the car (weird, I know), so we schedule that for day 2. Our trip is about 16 -17 hours total, which is shorter than the yours, so keep that in mind. :goodvibes

Having more than one driver is really the best option but if that is not possible this is what I do. The night before we leave I stay awake for the night(I used to work 3rd shift so it is not a problem). I then go to sleep at 8am on the day of departure and sleep till 3. After I wake up I prep the car and we leave. I never have an issue driving through the night doing it this way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter