For All of you that drive from DFW (or close to) to Orlando..... Question??

S'sMom

DIS Veteran
Hello,
I THINK that we MAY have decided that we MIGHT go back to Disney in June, but we do not want to fly, and do not want to spend alot. We are even considering not staying at a Disney Resort (maybe a townhome or something).

We are thinking a road trip from here (Dallas). I think that it might be fun for us as a family. I am thinking about June 13 (the day of my sons b-day party at the zoo). No worries, it will be at 1030 AM, so I was thinking that we should leave about 3 that afternoon and get to Baton Rouge, where my in-laws live. Stay there over night, wake up then make the 10 hour drive from there. Get there late on the 14th and stay till the am of the 18th then come back. Just a thought!! We will see. I really want Kelsey to see the plantations along the coast.

Now my question............. Please share how you do it :). Which way to do you go, what time do you leave, do you have children, how often do you stop, and where do you stop, do you rush or take your time, is June a good time to make the drive, and what interesting things are there to see and do along the way??????? I know that this is alot, but I really want to make it interesting for my family. Of course, our little one could care less, but our oldest one would be excited (I think).

Any help would be great! :yay:

Its not a bad drive from there. Just take I-12 out of Baton Rouge eastbound then I-10 eastbound to I-75 southbound. Its really an easy drive just gets a little boring in the Florida panhandle( not much to see for awhile). Keeping the kids occupied is the challenging part. We have to seperate tv's in the van a collection of video games, a small library of books, anything and everything you can imagine. One thing we do is travel at night when the kids can sleep and not always asking "Are we there yet?"

Good deal :) That sounds great! I was wondering what kind of ride it was. I think to travel at night might be a good idea.

Thanks again

but I thought I'd chime in on this one.

As the boys get older, it's definitely gotten easier to do road trips with them.

the furthest we've ever gone is 7.5 hours and right now that's long enough for us

but the day is fast approaching when we will be able to do longer without any issues

as for the plantations and big houses and stuff...have you ever thought about a trip to Vicksburg, MS. It's the city that 'somebody' (can't remember who) declared to pretty to burn. The architecture and the history is great to see.

Remember, my old church went by bus and spent the night in Biloxi/Gulfport. I refused to spend 24 hours going and 24 hours coming back with two small children, and only spend a day and a half in the parks.

I think that is a good idea!:thumbsup2

Maybe you can figure out who is from there :thumbsup2 , and ask them :rotfl2:

Yes the plantations are definately something I want her to experience. I THINK THINK THINK (Depending on what happens with some things) IF IF IF we go, we are THINKING THINKING about leaving on the 5th now. We will see what happens. You know how that goes.

Is someone trying to boost their post count?? Man...all those one-liners are too much!

I think that if someone wants to boost thier postings, that is fine. When I first started this journey, I think that I did the same thing. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2: :laughing: :hug:

I was wonderinghow your road trip went. I am also in the DFW area and we will be driving next year.

I am seen different routes and different times.

So, How long does it really take to make the drive?

Debbie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter