For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought my CRV in for my first brake job last week I have almost 26,000 miles. My mechanic told me I still have another 6 months left for the front but I needed rear brakes and rotors.
My mechanic says that was very strange rear brakes almost never go before the front.
Did that happen with your CRV?

Seems a bit odd to me, but who knows. Just for reference, we just had ours inspected, and the odometer just turned 30,000 miles. Brakes were fine, as I asked about them, and they said it would most likely make it to the next state inspection without an issue.

We are now in ear-popping territory-according to our I-75 guide it's the highest point between Michigan and Florida. The sun is beginning to set and it's beautiful! We should hit our hotel in Knoxville in about 45 minutes.

Oh, that is the prettiest part of your trip. Somehow, I don't think we've ever travelled that stretch during dawn or dusk. I can imagine it's beautiful.

Our trip tomorrow will be all at once. Mapquest puts it at just over 10 hours. We thought about going farther tonight but decided we'll just go to sleep right away tonight and (hopefully!) get out the door bright and early in the morning. We actually don't' have a park day scheduled until Monday.

Yeah, ten hours to Orlando sounds about right. My in-laws live a little northeast of Knoxville, so it would be a little longer. Good to get an early start. At least, make sure you make it to the Florida Welcome Station. We don't only go for the free OJ, we also go for the travel brochures.

Grace (the 2-year old) is getting bored now. 8 pm is her bedtime, so I think it's going to be rough until we get her to sleep tonight!

But it sounds like she'll sleep. I'm babysitting my 9 month old DGD, and she's wound up big time. And I have to get up early tomorrow myself.

Until tomorrow :goodvibes[/QUOTE]

Well, we got home from work this afternoon and decided to leave right after dinner instead of early in the am! We live just north of Philly and we hit the road around 5:30 pm. We hit game traffic in Philly then a pretty bad backup in Fredericksburg, VA. We stopped at a Microtel Inn in Wilson, NC. It was around $70 for the night with taxes. It is clean and they offer breakfast. The plan is to sleep in and hit the road when we can. We added a night at Sports, so we'll be in Disney to sleep tomorrow night! Yahoo!
Time to hit the hay!

Well, we got home from work this afternoon and decided to leave right after dinner instead of early in the am! We live just north of Philly and we hit the road around 5:30 pm. We hit game traffic in Philly then a pretty bad backup in Fredericksburg, VA. We stopped at a Microtel Inn in Wilson, NC. It was around $70 for the night with taxes. It is clean and they offer breakfast. The plan is to sleep in and hit the road when we can. We added a night at Sports, so we'll be in Disney to sleep tomorrow night! Yahoo!
Time to hit the hay!

When you drive you have the spontaneity option, something impossible when flying.

You're on your way!

All the best!

When you drive you have the spontaneity option, something impossible when flying.

You're on your way!

All the best!

I love this as well, spontaneity that is. Our last trip, we added a day too. It was SO nice to be able to do that without incurring airline "fees", or worrying if we would be able to get a flight home or not. Hence, we are pretty much a driving family from that trip forward! :thumbsup2

You're on your way!

All the best!
Can agree more, on the road trip home, I have added stops and a day a couple times in the past years, This year will proberly do the same.

Give me an open road any time.

We are finally in Florida! We were on the road a little before 8 am, but I haven't had internet long enough to post. Well, I posted once, but I see it never made it out of cyberspace and onto this thread.

We've been through lots of construction, but nothing that has slowed us down. Downtown Atlanta slowed to about 30 for 3 or 4 minutes; that's it. I gave in and bought the kids candy from the vending machines at the Florida Welcome Center. They're now happy clams and should stay that way until dinner.

We are SO ready to get out of this van and move around. We're not people that usually sit still. Even my oldest (13) has stiff knees when he gets out to stretch!

2 days for us!:banana: We're leaving Tuesday around 6:00pm and driving straight through to VB for few days then up to Pop for free dining!:love: Can't wait. I was just wondering if anyone on here had any experience towing a trailer. There will be 8 of us in our Tahoe, so we'll be towing a small 4x6 trailer with all our "stuff". I'm a little nervous about driving with it. I know we'll have to go slower than we normally drive on I-95, but was just wondering if there was any tips anybody had regarding driving with a trailer?

2 days for us!:banana: We're leaving Tuesday around 6:00pm and driving straight through to VB for few days then up to Pop for free dining!:love: Can't wait. I was just wondering if anyone on here had any experience towing a trailer. There will be 8 of us in our Tahoe, so we'll be towing a small 4x6 trailer with all our "stuff". I'm a little nervous about driving with it. I know we'll have to go slower than we normally drive on I-95, but was just wondering if there was any tips anybody had regarding driving with a trailer?

In 2006, we towed our 27' camping trailer. It was only the 2nd time I had ever really pulled the trailer any more than 50 miles or so. We drove from Wisconsin, and I did half of the driving. It really wasn't that bad. We just went slower than we normally would have, and left more time for changing lanes, etc. Just always be aware that you have that trailer back there and leave more time/room for everything. We pulled it 4000 miles total without incident (we went to Key West after Orlando).

Have fun! I'm jealous. We have to wait until May to go back!

I will say this: Whoever invented the portable DVD player should be sainted!

We started driving down about 6 years ago when we had our 4th child. We couldn't have done it without those DVD players!!!!!! Now that the children are older, the question goes out, "Whose DVD player is not working? The one item that you don't leave home without.

We leave again next week, hopefully on Thursday if DH is finished work in time. I love the convenience of driving, no pressure to get to the airport or the stress of getting everything and everyone on the plane with no hassles. You know I'm hungry, need a drink, have to go the bathroom and the worst, Where is Blankie????!!!!! It is a great time to decompress before we get to Disney.

Have to add that the best item for packing the car was a cargo roof bag for the 2 suitcases and anything else that I can get into it (toys, stuffed aninmals, food, shoes, etc.). Get the waterproof kind because water resistant does cut it in a storm but with 6 of us in a minivan, it has really made the car very roomy.

Have a great trip everyone!

Just curious, DH says if we do drive maybe take a trailer for the stuff. Where will you park it when you are not using it? Can you leave it in the parking lot of the hotels?

Well, I've chickened out with only stopping 1 night on the way down.

It was going to be the first time that we were going to try just 1 overnight since my son came along. Before him we stopped once, but since then we've stopped twice. Last night I decided to leave on a Friday after work, instead of waiting until Saturday morning, and stopping twice. Drive 6-7 hours on Friday and he'll probably sleep for most of that. Stop in VA and start off Saturday morning again. My 2nd overnight is going to be just before the FL border, so the last day will be a short drive. A little more leisurely trip on the way down than originally planned. :confused3

I've left the one stop on the way home alone for now...

He'll be nearly 3. Am I being silly changing the plans?

It was going to be the first time that we were going to try just 1 overnight since my son came along. Before him we stopped once, but since then we've stopped twice. Last night I decided to leave on a Friday after work, instead of waiting until Saturday morning, and stopping twice. Drive 6-7 hours on Friday and he'll probably sleep for most of that. Stop in VA and start off Saturday morning again. My 2nd overnight is going to be just before the FL border, so the last day will be a short drive. A little more leisurely trip on the way down than originally planned. :confused3

only you and your dh know your 3 year old and how he travels but that sounds like alot of stopping. pending on were in the nepa you are, it should only take you 16-18 hours (18 at the most) again, i dont know your son but have you givin the idea of leaving around 3-3:30am sat., drive till about 4-5pm. than sun you will only have about 5 hours to go? you keep taking him in out out of the car, he may not want to get back in.:rotfl2:(im just kidding)

We're also leaving Friday from NEPA, hopefully between 3 and 4 am. We plan on driving 700 miles on Friday, stopping in SC, and driving the other 400 miles to WDW on Saturday. In the past, when our children were younger, we drove the 800+ miles to Savannah on the first day. The second day's drive was a breeze. Depending on your route, 81S by Nuangola can be very slow in the afternoon and early evening. We hope to be through this construction by 4:30 am.
Remember the ride is part of the trip.....We always have breakfast and lunch picnics along the way. My kids still look forward to them. Have a safe trip....

We're also leaving Friday from NEPA, hopefully between 3 and 4 am. We plan on driving 700 miles on Friday, stopping in SC, and driving the other 400 miles to WDW on Saturday. In the past, when our children were younger, we drove the 800+ miles to Savannah on the first day. The second day's drive was a breeze. Depending on your route, 81S by Nuangola can be very slow in the afternoon and early evening. We hope to be through this construction by 4:30 am.
Remember the ride is part of the trip.....We always have breakfast and lunch picnics along the way. My kids still look forward to them. Have a safe trip....

Just curious, after reading this it seems like you would be to SC by 2:00 or so on Friday afternoon... Why not go further?

Just for reference, don't know exactly where you are in NEPA, but we are in the Allentown area. We drove in June, left around 3:15am, and arrived in Savannah Georgia between 4 and 5pm. That includes quite a few stops with the kids ages 8 month and 6 years. Next morning, we got up, left Savannah area around 7am, and hit CSR before noon, including a nice breakfast stop. Were doing the same thing again in two weeks, LOL. (Had to do two trips this year as we probably saved more by not flying than this 2nd trip, staying at POP, is costing us)! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter