For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got back from our first road trip to Disney! It was just the girls and me because DH had to work. We left CT around 9 on a Wed morning, stopped in MD 6 hours later to stay with friends. We left there before 7 am trying to beat DC traffic but got slowed up a little bit.

We drove 11 hours to Savannah and stayed overnight in a Marriott Suites (can't remember the real name- it's on the list from the other thread) and got back on the road around 9. We drove the last 4 hours to Disney and had a great two weeks :cool1:

We left on Friday 7/9 around 10 am (had to go to Downtown Disney first :)) and drove to Myrtle Beach to stay in a friend of a friend's condo. We played in the waves for a few hours the next morning and then hit the road again. We drove about 8 hours to Delaware (almost NJ, right before the Del Mem bridge) and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. We left around 10 in the morning and made it home by 2:30-3.

Overall it was a great trip and I'd do it again if airfare was high and we had the extra time. I too play the beat the GPS game :) I also find a "runner" or pace car and follow at a distance. I didn't know about the cameras in SC so hopefully I don't get a ticket in the mail :scared1:

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips!!

We just got back from our first road trip to Disney! It was just the girls and me because DH had to work. We left CT around 9 on a Wed morning, stopped in MD 6 hours later to stay with friends. We left there before 7 am trying to beat DC traffic but got slowed up a little bit.

We drove 11 hours to Savannah and stayed overnight in a Marriott Suites (can't remember the real name- it's on the list from the other thread) and got back on the road around 9. We drove the last 4 hours to Disney and had a great two weeks :cool1:

We left on Friday 7/9 around 10 am (had to go to Downtown Disney first :)) and drove to Myrtle Beach to stay in a friend of a friend's condo. We played in the waves for a few hours the next morning and then hit the road again. We drove about 8 hours to Delaware (almost NJ, right before the Del Mem bridge) and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. We left around 10 in the morning and made it home by 2:30-3.

Overall it was a great trip and I'd do it again if airfare was high and we had the extra time. I too play the beat the GPS game :) I also find a "runner" or pace car and follow at a distance. I didn't know about the cameras in SC so hopefully I don't get a ticket in the mail :scared1:

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips!!

glad you had a nice trip.:thumbsup2

Right, although in our desire to avoid the repaving backup between DHS and OKW, we turned right out of DHS and got VERY confused, so we took out the GPS. It was dark!!!! I actually did download the Tom Tom add-in that was posted on, I think, Mouse Savers. Didn't use it once!

Best tip we discovered was the "unnamed" road that runs right into Vacation Club Way - very short, shortcut.

Oh, and when are YOU starting the version 2.0 of our thread? We got trips to plan, man!

sharadoc, what day will you guys be on the road this trip? if you see a greenish crysler town and country (well disney marked with mm and dvc) blow the horn and wave!! its funny just around our area, if we take the van onto i78, people blow there horn and wave at us. dw and i look at each other, who was that??

Is there a list of good hotels to stay at when we drive to Disney? We are not sure where we are going to end up that first night. This is our first time driving with DS. I would like to maybe have a few options. Thanks for any help!

There's another thread that lists hotels along the way that people liked and approximate prices. I'll look.

sharadoc, what day will you guys be on the road this trip? if you see a greenish crysler town and country (well disney marked with mm and dvc) blow the horn and wave!! its funny just around our area, if we take the van onto i78, people blow there horn and wave at us. dw and i look at each other, who was that??

Right now, the plan is 3rd & 4th down, 11th & 12th home. We have a red Grand Caravan SXT with a Minnie Mouse antenna topper. We haven't decorated the windows yet, but this trip we did buy the Ears family members for the back window. Oh, and the WDW license plate holder!!

I hope our paths can cross - where are you staying? We moved to Boardwalk on the bounceback - can't beat the 45% deals! Because we extended our trip by a day, we couldn't stay at Wilderness Lodge. But that's okay because we loved Boardwalk last time we stayed there. Plus we think we're going to spend more time at Epcot and Studios this trip anyway.

We're doing the party on Sunday night.

You know this thread made me realized something. I married the pace car driver LOL. My Dh can never be happy driving behind anyone. He always has to be the front car doing Mach 1. He always says I'm going with traffic when I look behind us and thats where all the traffic is and we are in the right lane and everyone is just getting in line behind him. So if anyone is on 95 in mid Dec look for a Ford Flex and we will get you to WDW in no time LOL

Yes, and I'm sure our favorite BC will include this thread on page 1 of our new 2000+ round trippers thread 2.0!

Notice I'm trying to post a lot to force the new thread?????:rotfl:

Done!

The new thread has been posted...but let's complete this thread with the usual dazzling bits of info, advice and comments until we max out at 250 pages.

All the best. :thumbsup2

Made sure to subscribe on the new thread, cause I will be the person wondering why there has been no new posts made lately due to the fact you maxed out and i wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the heads up.

Someone posted about recommended hotels. I just registered on-line at AAA.com and their trip tix tool is amazing. You can find just about anything along your route and click on the info boxes for all kinds of information.

I am a AAA member, and this was part of my membership.

We drive every time we go to Disney! We also drive to Destin, fl the years we dont go to Disney. We come from a suburb of Cleveland,OH and the kids love to drive. We do it in 2 days and usually make it to St Augustine on the first so its just a short drive the second day. We have a few in our party that dont like to fly so driving is better and cheaper. Asked the kids this year if they wanted to fly and they said no way that half the fun is the drive down. Only 4 weeks til our trip to All star Sports. Yahoo:car:

Hey road trippers. My mom called me trying to discourage us from driving again. I just "steered" the conversation to another topic. Our minds are already made up.:car:

Right now, the plan is 3rd & 4th down, 11th & 12th home. We have a red Grand Caravan SXT with a Minnie Mouse antenna topper. We haven't decorated the windows yet, but this trip we did buy the Ears family members for the back window. Oh, and the WDW license plate holder!!

I hope our paths can cross - where are you staying? We moved to Boardwalk on the bounceback - can't beat the 45% deals! Because we extended our trip by a day, we couldn't stay at Wilderness Lodge. But that's okay because we loved Boardwalk last time we stayed there. Plus we think we're going to spend more time at Epcot and Studios this trip anyway.

Hey Sharadoc, how are ya?? We will have a blue Caravan with Soccer Mickey Ears, a Disney license plate and a lot of bumper stickers. We may actually have to use a roof-topper this trip.

Did I imagine it or were there at least two families driving down at the beginning of dec? If so we will be making our second drive down then (first being in sept). It will be my mom, my brother, dh and I in my blue mariner with the stitch antenna topper and stitch and dvc window stickers on the road starting late dec 1 and coming back dec 7. Right now we are booked at okw but have a wait list for bwv and bcv since we plan on being at epcot and studios most of the trip.

we are leaving pa on nov 30th and will get there dec. 1st. we'll be at okw. are you on facebook? we check in on dec 1st and we leave to come home dec.10th.

Did I imagine it or were there at least two families driving down at the beginning of dec? If so we will be making our second drive down then (first being in sept). It will be my mom, my brother, dh and I in my blue mariner with the stitch antenna topper and stitch and dvc window stickers on the road starting late dec 1 and coming back dec 7. Right now we are booked at okw but have a wait list for bwv and bcv since we plan on being at epcot and studios most of the trip.

if you end up at okw, we will be there from dec1st till the 10th. green crysler town and counrty, lets see, mm magnetic sticker on the back, dvc member sticker in the back window, mm lic plate frame on the back, dvc member plate on the front(blue, my white one cracked) with a palm tree frame and a mm head with a santa hat ant. topper. (also a pa lic. plate:lmao:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter