"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

So we decided to drive. We’re leaving tonight around 6. Should be at our condo tomorrow around 2.
I’m so excited and nervous about this trip! I’ve cancelled so many that I just want to go....I think. Please tell me everything will be fine.
I need to get tested before I come home. I’m going to schedule one hopefully today. I hope it doesn’t take up my whole day. I did have a mild case of covid at the end of October so I hope I don’t still test positive. I heard that could happen.

Safe travels. We were there in October - 25% capacity. We felt safe and were very impressed with everything Disney has in place to keep everyone safe. Don't let your guard down. Hoping it's a similar experience (35% capacity now) when we get back soon. We start our drive next week.

Happy New Year everyone! We have one more vacation planned. 54 more days.
Eight nights in a one bedroom at Boardwalk. This trip is the last harah trip.
The three of us are driving straight through both directions. Park and dining reservations are all made.
We are well on our way to hitting our time frame. For the most part just patching and painting in our house. We are all cleaned out, have about just a little more than half packed. Contacted a mover, family friend and next month we will be getting our price. We have our storage facility picked out (got that done today)
and in the next few weeks will be looking into temporary living arrangements till we find and close on a house.
Have to admit, DW and I were both born and raised in the town we live in and have been here for 55 years. We are gonna miss the area I’m sure but, we are ready and excited!!! With full support of family and friends and even work, DW work won’t change. She works from home and her employer is cheering us on and makes this entire process a lot easier. Gives us a little stability while in the process. DD and I for the most part have a job waiting for us.
Our friends and family here and in Florida are all supportive which is making this a lot easier. ( thanks BC ) I’m in the process of training my replacement at work and kind of hoping, just maybe I can sneak out a few weeks early. I work for a small family owned business. I’ve been there for 30 years and every time the owner daughter, who is my age looks at me she just smiles and tears up. I got my annual bonus a few weeks ago times ten and a thank you card that brought tears to my eyes.
But, like everyone who knows us, even my employer, it is all we ever talked about for years!!! l keep you posted!!!
“Dreams do come true”!

Just wanted to wish you an enjoyable trip, more importantly good luck with the big move. I have enjoyed reading your posts in the 2,000 mile thread over the years.

I hope everything goes smoothly and you find the ideal spot to settle down in.

So we decided to drive. We’re leaving tonight around 6. Should be at our condo tomorrow around 2.
I’m so excited and nervous about this trip! I’ve cancelled so many that I just want to go....I think. Please tell me everything will be fine.
I need to get tested before I come home. I’m going to schedule one hopefully today. I hope it doesn’t take up my whole day. I did have a mild case of covid at the end of October so I hope I don’t still test positive. I heard that could happen.
Have a safe trip!!!! You’ll be fine. Keep your hands in your pockets.

Just wanted to wish you an enjoyable trip, more importantly good luck with the big move. I have enjoyed reading your posts in the 2,000 mile thread over the years.

I hope everything goes smoothly and you find the ideal spot to settle down in.
Ahh thank you amcnj. We are looking forward to this vacation. We need it.
We can’t wait to start , I talked to my realtor in Florida the other day. I still have some painting to do and as luck would have it, I’ve been on my back for the last two days. I pulled a muscle in my back. To much shoveling and snow blowing. What gets done gets done before we leave and I will finish it when we get home.
Not stressing over it, that’s why we planned it the way we did, not forced into anything. Starting to look into rental homes. As luck would have it a lot of them are sitting empty due to COVID. I should be able to get some what of a deal on one. My replace at work is working out great so I should be able to get out of there soon and get things rolling.
I have to say, we are a little nervous but very excited. The time is getting real close! We have a lot of great friends in the north and south to get us through the move. If it would only stop snowing here for a few days it would be great.lol
We are looking forward to blue skies, green grass, green trees and of course....palm trees !!!!
Thanks again, I’ll keep you posted on out upcoming trip, the last harahh !!!

We are headed down from Central NJ to WDW this June. We are looking forward to our 2000+ mile drive and time away from the house. We will picking up a friend in Middletown, DE to join us on our trip and plan to take US301, however I was wondering, would it make more sense to hook up with I-495 East of DC or continue on US301 south to I-295 east of Richmond the on to I-95. We plan to leave roughly 2am on Friday and would likely run into morning rush in Richmond. Having never taken US301, I'm not sure if it would be an advantage taking it beyond the Beltway and just making our way to I-95 as quickly as possible. Additionally, I am considering taking I-295 East around Jacksonville to 9B to I95 and, also, potentially headed to FL528 instead of I-4. I've made this drive nearly 10x since 1999, but never have really gone too far from the I-95 to I-4 route. Would love some advice and I'm a huge fan of thread. Thx!

I have to say, we are a little nervous but very excited. The time is getting real close! We have a lot of great friends in the north and south to get us through the move. If it would only stop snowing here for a few days it would be great.lol
We are looking forward to blue skies, green grass, green trees and of course....palm trees !!!!
Thanks again, I’ll keep you posted on out upcoming trip, the last harahh !!!

So, what do you have left, Dave? I'm estimating less than a week, maybe five days, until you see the Mouse?

Well we are on our drive home. I have to say I-4 is sooooo much better than the last time we were here!! I don’t think we were ever in any traffic (except right near disney springs of course) I don’t think that’s ever happened before.
As for the parks... they were more crowded than I had hoped. And of course not everyone cares about social distancing. There were times in line I felt uncomfortable bc people behind me didn’t follow guidelines.
whenI was talking to my husband in line about the social distancing markers on the ground... some guy said it’s all so stupid!! So yeah just bc you want to do the right thing you can’t rely on others and you feel helpless.
Traffic looks good all the way home so far. Hope it stays that way.

So, what do you have left, Dave? I'm estimating less than a week, maybe five days, until you see the Mouse?
We leave what I’m calling Wednesday night. ( it’s actually Thursday morning by 3am) but Wednesday night sounds better. More snow coming Monday but looking ahead Wednesday and Thursday next week, so far hold your breath , weather is suppose to be warmer and sunny for our travel day.
I don’t care about coming home, After a few days at home till my COVID test come back, dvczerfs is quitting his job!!!
It’s time to go!!!!!

Well we are on our drive home. I have to say I-4 is sooooo much better than the last time we were here!! I don’t think we were ever in any traffic (except right near disney springs of course) I don’t think that’s ever happened before.
As for the parks... they were more crowded than I had hoped. And of course not everyone cares about social distancing. There were times in line I felt uncomfortable bc people behind me didn’t follow guidelines.
whenI was talking to my husband in line about the social distancing markers on the ground... some guy said it’s all so stupid!! So yeah just bc you want to do the right thing you can’t rely on others and you feel helpless.
Traffic looks good all the way home so far. Hope it stays that way.
Safe travels home.

We leave tomorrow night !!!! The weather is suppose to be heaven all next week.
A little up date, we should be home March 6th, Probably will go back to work around the 10th. Have to wait for my COVID test to come back. The 12th, I will be handing in my resignation at work. I have a few little jobs to finish and than the house goes on the market. It won’t last but a few hours. Somewhere in the first week or two Im getting my first COVID vaccine. First week on April I will be heading back down to get a temporary place to live.
I will be making a few trips back and forth, have some stuff I don’t want to toss in a moving truck and have three cars to get down here. ill load them all to the top for the trip down.lol
Im really looking forward to all this!!! Been waiting for the since I’ve been 8 years olds. ( I’m only 24 but it seems longer lol )
Ill try to post on the road, our DD is going so I have another driver. She gets a little motion sickness in the car so she loves to drive. Lol
We are taking I78/ I81/ I77 / I26 / I95 to good old I4. Magic kingdom exit, over the flyway into the Grand Floridian!!!

We leave tomorrow night !!!! The weather is suppose to be heaven all next week.
A little up date, we should be home March 6th, Probably will go back to work around the 10th. Have to wait for my COVID test to come back. The 12th, I will be handing in my resignation at work. I have a few little jobs to finish and than the house goes on the market. It won’t last but a few hours. Somewhere in the first week or two Im getting my first COVID vaccine. First week on April I will be heading back down to get a temporary place to live.
I will be making a few trips back and forth, have some stuff I don’t want to toss in a moving truck and have three cars to get down here. ill load them all to the top for the trip down.lol
Im really looking forward to all this!!! Been waiting for the since I’ve been 8 years olds. ( I’m only 24 but it seems longer lol )
Ill try to post on the road, our DD is going so I have another driver. She gets a little motion sickness in the car so she loves to drive. Lol
We are taking I78/ I81/ I77 / I26 / I95 to good old I4. Magic kingdom exit, over the flyway into the Grand Floridian!!!
Yay!!! Safe travels and I’m so jealous. This cold and snow in NJ has been annoying and I want the warm and sunshine! Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

Hello from exit 3 off i95 in Georgia. 3 miles from the Florida welcome center. Left home at 3am, hit a detour in Pa. I81 south was closed. Bad accident. Didnt really slow us down but I wasn’t expecting so much traffic.
We did manage to shave a half hour off or normal time. We arrived here at 4:30 pm. Off to bed, up at 2:15am and finish the trip. The weather is incredible. I may just have to stay.

Hello from exit 3 off i95 in Georgia. 3 miles from the Florida welcome center. Left home at 3am, hit a detour in Pa. I81 south was closed. Bad accident. Didnt really slow us down but I wasn’t expecting so much traffic.
We did manage to shave a half hour off or normal time. We arrived here at 4:30 pm. Off to bed, up at 2:15am and finish the trip. The weather is incredible. I may just have to stay.

Yep, they were telling everyone to get off at Exit 16, which just makes things worse.
From one of the responding fire departments:
"4am this morning, with traffic on 81 starting to pick up, Sta 4 and mutual aide units were alerted for a Pedestrian Struck at MM 14 SB on I-81. Squad 41 & Chief 46 were advised of a “non-injury” TT crash in the median at Exit 14. The driver was out walking around the scene after the original accident and was then struck by a passing vehicle. Amb 1-8 requested Air Medical to land on 81 at the scene. 2 other vehicles were damaged as a result of the debris from the TT. Life Net 81 landed and took over patient care, flying to an area trauma center. Fire police shut down 81 at Wayne Ave. Towing and PSP remained on scene. I-81 SB is still shut down at Wayne Ave at the time of this posting!" (Post was made around 9 a.m. I think.)

I hope the rest of your trip is smooth sailing. I figure you will soon be seeing the Grand Floridian. Have a great time on your last trip as PA resident.

We did manage to shave a
Enjoy your trip! When you get home would you mind giving a review of the hotel you stayed at at Exit 3? I'm thinking of trying the Hampton Inn at that exit. I'm traveling with people who are quite skittish about hotels during this time of Covid so any insight you could give would be appreciated. Thanks!

Can’t wait to hear about your trip!
Have a great time

Yep, they were telling everyone to get off at Exit 16, which just makes things worse.
From one of the responding fire departments:
"4am this morning, with traffic on 81 starting to pick up, Sta 4 and mutual aide units were alerted for a Pedestrian Struck at MM 14 SB on I-81. Squad 41 & Chief 46 were advised of a “non-injury” TT crash in the median at Exit 14. The driver was out walking around the scene after the original accident and was then struck by a passing vehicle. Amb 1-8 requested Air Medical to land on 81 at the scene. 2 other vehicles were damaged as a result of the debris from the TT. Life Net 81 landed and took over patient care, flying to an area trauma center. Fire police shut down 81 at Wayne Ave. Towing and PSP remained on scene. I-81 SB is still shut down at Wayne Ave at the time of this posting!" (Post was made around 9 a.m. I think.)

I hope the rest of your trip is smooth sailing. I figure you will soon be seeing the Grand Floridian. Have a great time on your last trip as PA resident.
Thanks for the report. We really couldn’t see anything except a tractor trailer that drove off the interstate and was sitting on the grass. The tow truck was there hooking him up.

We have stayed at that hotel for a few years and always very clean. I made my reservation on line and a few days before check in the sent me an email to set up a skip the front desk, your phone will open the door. I just went to the front desk. The room door had a seal on it after it was clean and you could have eaten off the floor. I will tell you, while the hotel you must wear a mask, they don’t enforce it if you don’t. So, you will see people walking around with no mask. I asked at the Cracker Barrel what the mask rules where in that area, and she said if you don’t wear one, nobody is going to say anything or stop you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter