"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Hi all, We are driving down from Bergen County, NJ (very north) in the summer. We will leave on a Thursday night around 7pm and travel for around 6 hours. I am assuming we will be in Virginia at that point? I would really like to make it to N.C. but it might be too late to stay up. The next day we plan on getting to Savannah and staying 2 nights. Any ideas how long the tip of N.C. to Savannah is? Hoping we can get that far. I believe from a trip in the past, Savannah is 4 hrs. to WDW. Since we won't get to DC until 11pm I am hoping for minimal traffic.

Did you use up your points? I think you have until midnight.

And there's always Dalton. :D

We stopped at one Kroger but there were long long lines at the pumps. Last day of the month! So we didn't get gas there. Waiting until we arrive at our home town. Might be a long line there too though. Overall, good driving conditions today. Good weather, low traffic. A+ 8-)

We stopped at one Kroger but there were long long lines at the pumps. Last day of the month! So we didn't get gas there. Waiting until we arrive at our home town. Might be a long line there too though. Overall, good driving conditions today. Good weather, low traffic. A+ 8-)

Just gassed up at the Mt Zion Rd Krogers (Exit 178 in KY). No lines there.

Hi all, We are driving down from Bergen County, NJ (very north) in the summer. We will leave on a Thursday night around 7pm and travel for around 6 hours. I am assuming we will be in Virginia at that point? I would really like to make it to N.C. but it might be too late to stay up. The next day we plan on getting to Savannah and staying 2 nights. Any ideas how long the tip of N.C. to Savannah is? Hoping we can get that far. I believe from a trip in the past, Savannah is 4 hrs. to WDW. Since we won't get to DC until 11pm I am hoping for minimal traffic.

So, if you leave Paramus at 7 p, with one 10 min bathroom break, you can be in Emporia, VA (10-12 miles from the VA/NC border) by 1:30 a.m. (6 hrs 15 min of driving plus the rest stop.)

From Emporia to Savannah would be about 6 1/2 hours with two quick rest breaks like the day before. So you could leave at 9 a.m. and with no traffic interruptions, be in Savannah by 3:30ish. To make this possible, I suggest a plug in cooler with snacks/drinks/sandwiches and not drinking anything 'til an hour before the rest stop. Seriously, synchronizing bladders is a large part of not losing too much time taking pit stops.

Can someone give me an approximate of how long it takes to get thru each state going south on I-95? with now traffic problems. I know DC area and before can be a problem, so wondering how long Virginia, North Caroline, South Caroline and Georgia take? Once you his the Florida border, it's like 4 hours? If my memory still serves me right. Do they still give free orange juice at the Florida welcome center? Thanks all.

We leave Thursday afternoon. The weather here looks like it will be fine but I need to check Kentucky and Tennessee.

Is there any construction on I65 at the moment? How about I75. We're debating on taking I75 and driving through Alabama this trip for a change.

There's a fair amount of construction in the Bowling Green, KY area right now. Not much on I-75. A small bit of bridge work north of Knoxville. 65 will be slower due to the construction. We took 65 instead last weekend due to the awful weather. Made the right choice! Stayed with 75 for the drive home today. Another good choice!

Than
There's a fair amount of construction in the Bowling Green, KY area right now. Not much on I-75. A small bit of bridge work north of Knoxville. 65 will be slower due to the construction. We took 65 instead last weekend due to the awful weather. Made the right choice! Stayed with 75 for the drive home today. Another good choice!

Thanks! I guess I'll just check the weather. If ll looks good I think we'll try I75 for a change. :)

Can someone give me an approximate of how long it takes to get thru each state going south on I-95? with now traffic problems. I know DC area and before can be a problem, so wondering how long Virginia, North Caroline, South Caroline and Georgia take? Once you his the Florida border, it's like 4 hours? If my memory still serves me right. Do they still give free orange juice at the Florida welcome center? Thanks all.
Yes free orange or grapefruit juice at the welcoming center. From the welcome center to wdw it takes me 2hrs 15min. 2 1/2 tops. I go through Jacksonville and Orlando at non rush hour times.

BC !!!! How was your trip? Gas in taxilvania is $1.97 in most places in the Lehigh valley. I think we pay more per gallon in tax then what we pay for the gas but heck, look how great our roads are. Lol

BC !!!! How was your trip? Gas in taxilvania is $1.97 in most places in the Lehigh valley. I think we pay more per gallon in tax then what we pay for the gas but heck, look how great our roads are. Lol

I just paid $1.50 this morning for gas, at a Valero (same price cash or credit). There are a number of stations in the $1.50's but still some $1.60's too.

Rounding up or down to 15 minute blocks, and taking out any stops, and noting that I leave early AM so times may vary (especially the northernmost states listed):

DE 15 minutes

MD 1.5 hours

VA 2 hrs 15 mins

NC 2 hrs 15 mins

SC 2.5 hrs

GA 1.5 hours

FL (to WDW area) 2.5 hr

I just paid $1.50 this morning for gas, at a Valero (same price cash or credit). There are a number of stations in the $1.50's but still some $1.60's too.
I notice today a $1.94!!! It was at a Penn Jersey in Bangor Pa. Lol

Rounding up or down to 15 minute blocks, and taking out any stops, and noting that I leave early AM so times may vary (especially the northernmost states listed):

DE 15 minutes

MD 1.5 hours

VA 2 hrs 15 mins

NC 2 hrs 15 mins

SC 2.5 hrs

GA 1.5 hours

FL (to WDW area) 2.5 hr

I like these splits, that's about as fast as I drive! You're averaging about 80 mph here.

DE 15 minutes

MD 1.5 hours

VA 2 hrs 15 mins

NC 2 hrs 15 mins

SC 2.5 hrs

GA 1.5 hours

FL (to WDW area) 2.5 hr

Great, thank you!

Am I the only person that does not make this drive north/south? We leave from Arkansas. It's close to 1000 miles each way.

Am I the only person that does not make this drive north/south? We leave from Arkansas. It's close to 1000 miles each way.

What part of Arkansas? What route do you take?

We drive through Arkansas on our way to visit our daughter in Shreveport, LA. Nice, scenic state, but it seems so long. After going through Tennessee, it seems like we should be almost there, however Arkansas is still a 4 1/2 hour drive cross state.

I like these splits, that's about as fast as I drive! You're averaging about 80 mph here.

I guess I should have stated one additional caveat, having a heavy foot! Of course the early morning departure also helps with the average in the northernmost states. I am about an hour and ten minutes from the DE Memorial bridge and leave 2:30 AM and am usually in the WDW area by 6:30 PM, with stops. I find the total driving time to be in the 14-15 hour range, depending on traffic and weather. My overall average speed is usually just under 75 mph for the whole trip.

I guess I should have stated one additional caveat, having a heavy foot! Of course the early morning departure also helps with the average in the northernmost states. I am about an hour and ten minutes from the DE Memorial bridge and leave 2:30 AM and am usually in the WDW area by 6:30 PM, with stops. I find the total driving time to be in the 14-15 hour range, depending on traffic and weather. My overall average speed is usually just under 75 mph for the whole trip.

Those of us who have driven this many times know the rule - keep up with traffic, maybe a little slower so the cops get THAT GUY! (Right DVCZerfs???)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter