Footwear in winter

kizzabel

Eating poisonous apples since '86
Hi all :wave:

Ok so I'm writing this on a balmy June day but January can't get here quick enough!!

I'm already pondering how to fit heavy winter clothes into my suitcase and myself and DBFF were debating what we should bring as regards footwear?? Its my first trip in winter.

I normally wear flats which kill my feet and I would so very much like not to be in pain on this trip. Also bearing in mind that it could be freezing or snowy or cold as we are going the end of January (22nd - 25th). I'm stumped. I generally don't wear trainers but may invest in a pair (they would have to look ok with skinny leg jeans....)

Also think wellies are out of the equation as tried on a pair and they wouldnt fit with my jeans (yeah that and my calfs!!!)

So I was wondering if I could pick your brains and see what the experts would advise!

Oh the things that rattle around your head while awaiting the release of winter DLP prices.... :rotfl:

Thanks in advance ladies :thumbsup2

Uggs? Although if they get wet.....
Maybe runners with wellie socks, extra thick & warm?

Are you waiting on the Irish prices (like me)?

We went at end jan/beginning feb this year-it was very very cold(even by Irish standards), someone said with wind chill it was about -17. Before we left I invested in a pair of North face boots, and the girls had clarks boots, with fleece linings and insoles along with ski socks-toasty warm we stayed!!

I didnt bother bringing runners-didnt care what I looked like as long as I was warm! Waiting on prices here too!

ETA they are called Shellista lace boots!

I got a pair of these link for our trip last November. They were lovely and warm and surprisingly comfy. They were like wearing slippers!

I also can't wear flats, at all. So on winter trips at DLP I wear walking boots/shoes, and on spring trips I wear walking sandals (Karrimors). Have a look on Sports Direct (online or in store) to see the ranges available.

There was a whole thread on here about Bearpaw boots, (other makes are available!!) fur lined boots, flat non-slip soles and waterproof.

I bought 2 pairs from TKMaxx and they were perfect!

Will have a look for the thread...

...found it. It's here!

I've already bought us all (well both my DDs and myself as DH always sorts himself out!!) our thermals ready for November :lmao:.

We all have snowboots (bought in readiness for last winter but we never wore them as never had any snow really!), so will be taking and wearing those. I think we might take trainers as well just in case, but suspect we'll stick to the boots.

I think wellies are great for keeping feet dry but if it's snowing or really cold your feet will suffer as they just do not keep your feet warm :eek:.

I've also found long socks called 'heat huggers' which claim to be something like 2.5 tog for your feet. I got us all a few pairs of those as they even did them in smaller sizes for the girls. They certainly look cosy and warm!

I am thinking of taking ski salopettes - again just in case. This time, thank goodness, we are travelling with Air France so we all get a hold baggage allowance without paying extra so I am not too worried about taking all this (there will be 4 adults and 2 children so we'll have plenty of space :rolleyes1)!

Having said all this, I'm sort of hoping I'll be taking all this in vain and it will be autumn weather without being too cold as some people have reported in previous years - you can never tell really! :rolleyes:

I've got some fairly sturdy black boots from Clarks. They aren't waterproof, but they are reasonably water resistant and have a good grip. They look like something the Weetabix Gang wore (if anybody remembers them!) but who cares! :teeth:

Also make sure that any shoes you use aren't too snug, as that will make your feet feel the cold much more quickly.

I wore the river island ugg boots on January and although there was no snow it was very cold and my feet were always cost and warm.

I've also worn the bear paw ugg boots in the snow and my feet stayed dry and warm. TK maxx in mac donagh junction have them in winter for €45-€50

Hi all,
only getting back to this now. we had a bereavement, DHs brother sadly passed away last week at 46. we are in a state of shock but trying to stay going and get back to some sort of normality.

Thanks for all your advice, I ended up ordering these:
http://ie1.schuh.co.uk/womens-white-and-purple-nike-delta-lite-mid-si-strap/1958472820

and these:
http://ie1.schuh.co.uk/womens-purple-nike-oceania/1958623650

I think I would get more use out of these then traditional winter boots (especially the top ones).

sports direct do have great offers at the minute though (£26 for snow boots I think) and I will pick up the Bearpaw uggs in TK Maxx as back ups, thanks Laura.

Kiz xx

Sorry for your loss.. how sad. :(

Regarding your question, we were there last December when the weather was very wet but not too cold.
I had snowboots (cheap ones from Aldi), my daughter had TCM snowboots and my son had Regata hiking boots. Out of all 3, his feet got wet (I think the water got in the top of them) and I had to buy him a pair of €25 wellies. As an aside he was happy out in the wellies, warm and dry and comfy.

I'd recommmend snowboots, even if it's not icy or snowy as they are warm, comfy and waterproof, but I see you are sorted already.

We also brought ski salopettes but really, it wasn't cold enough to need them.

We wore all our warm bulky clothes on the flight (salopettes and all!) so didn't need much space in the bags for them.

Sorry for your loss.. how sad. :(

We wore all our warm bulky clothes on the flight (salopettes and all!) so didn't need much space in the bags for them.

Thats good thinking. We were smiling at a teenager with one checked bag on our last flight who ended up wearing two jumpers, jeans, leggings, heavy boots, a coat and two scarfs to get her suitcase under weight and I have visions of us being the same coming home!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your brother in law Kizzabel - such a young age :sad1:.

Glad you are almost sorted on your boots for your trip. Actually, it has reminded me that I need to prompt my Mum about boots - she doesn't have any snowboots and I think it might be prudent for her to buy some.

I'd go for some skechers boots - walking boots are good (but break them in!!) with thick socks. It snowed last time we went (April 2008) but they paths were cleared quckly.

Looks like the weather will be the same for our next visit:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter