Football and food, this weekend!!

npmommie

<font color=red>Channels George Michael in her car
ok football fans, anyone having a playoff party? what are you serving? I need some new ideas for food, appetizer like stuff to have.
hubby requested chicken wings, so far that is all I have planned.

While we aren't having a "party" a couple of my neices and a nephewIL are coming over to watch the games with us.

There is only going to be 5 adults and 2 teens.

We are doing meatballs, chicken wings, cheese ball and cheese slices. I am also going to make O'Charleys 3 cheese shrimp dip, at the request of all of the adults. I am actually making a triple batch, they all love it so much.

For 1 batch:

1 can small shrimp
6 ozs shredded mild cheddar cheese
6 ozs shredded monterey jack cheese
8 ozs softened cream cheese
1/4 c chopped sundried tomatoes
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together, then spread in casserole dish and bake at 325 degrees until bubbly. Watch, as the cheese along the edges will burn before the middle is hot.

Serve with corn chips.

I hate tomatoes, but I don't even taste them in this.

We host a Super Bowl party every year. It starts at 1pm and goes until the game ends so we try to have a variety of foods. I just started working on the menu. So far in the running:

Meat/Cheese platter for sandwiches
Meatballs in red sauce
Little smokies in sweet/sour sauce
Shrimp cocktail
Layered Taco Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Hot Crab Dip
Hot Artichoke/Spinach Dip

Plus the usual veggie platter, fruit platter, assorted chips and desserts including a pumpkin dip served with gingersnaps.

CRAZY FETA

crazyfeta-4.jpg

Mini Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
from BeantownBaker.com

1 c (2 sticks) butter
1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds...I omitted these
1 1/2 Tbsp grated dried onions
1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp honey mustard
2 (12 ounce) packages white party or Hawaiian rolls
1 pound cooked ham slices
12 ounces sliced swiss cheese

In saucepan, mix butter, poppy seeds, onion, Worcestershire sauce & mustard, stir until blended and melted. Pour 1/2 of mixture into bottom of baking dish.

Assemble sandwiches with ham and cheese slices. Arrange rolls in single layer in baking dish, spreading them around to soak up suace in pan. Pour rest of sauce over tops of sandwiches, let them sit out for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then cover dish and refrigeragte up to 24 hours for sauce to soak in.

Preheat oven in 350 degrees, bake rolls for 10-12 minutes until rolls are lghtly browned and cheese is melted.

Fresh Vidalia Onion Dip

2 vidalia onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds.
(You need a good 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter in a large saute pan
over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10
minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for
20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the
onions to cool.
Put the cream cheese in a med bowl and beat with a mixer until smooth, beat
in the sour cream and the mayo. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for
seasonings. Best served at room temperature.

While we aren't having a "party" a couple of my neices and a nephewIL are coming over to watch the games with us.

There is only going to be 5 adults and 2 teens.

We are doing meatballs, chicken wings, cheese ball and cheese slices. I am also going to make O'Charleys 3 cheese shrimp dip, at the request of all of the adults. I am actually making a triple batch, they all love it so much.

For 1 batch:

1 can small shrimp
6 ozs shredded mild cheddar cheese
6 ozs shredded monterey jack cheese
8 ozs softened cream cheese
1/4 c chopped sundried tomatoes
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together, then spread in casserole dish and bake at 325 degrees until bubbly. Watch, as the cheese along the edges will burn before the middle is hot.

Serve with corn chips.

I hate tomatoes, but I don't even taste them in this.

I was going to ask if you can just leave the sundried tomatoes out? I really am not a fan......

We host a Super Bowl party every year. It starts at 1pm and goes until the game ends so we try to have a variety of foods. I just started working on the menu. So far in the running:

Meat/Cheese platter for sandwiches
Meatballs in red sauce
Little smokies in sweet/sour sauce
Shrimp cocktail
Layered Taco Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Hot Crab Dip
Hot Artichoke/Spinach Dip

Plus the usual veggie platter, fruit platter, assorted chips and desserts including a pumpkin dip served with gingersnaps.

I know everyone asks but can you post the recipe for the buffalo chicken dip and your taco dip? We are going to a party but not a football party, my DBF and his friend are having a "frag swap", where people bring small pieces of the corals from their saltwater tanks and either trade with other people or buy them. Since he is co-hosting we volunteered to bring some snacks, I was planning to make a bean dip (which everyone loves) but I'm curious about your taco dip and I think people might love the buffalo chicken dip.....

8oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup blue cheese
1/2 cup hot sauce
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
DIRECTIONS:

HEAT oven to 350°F. Place cream cheese into deep baking dish. Stir until smooth.

MIX in salad dressing, hot sauce and cheese. Stir in chicken.

BAKE 20 min. or until mixture is heated through; stir. Garnish as desired. Serve with celery sticks and tostito scoops.

8oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup blue cheese
1/2 cup hot sauce
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
DIRECTIONS:

HEAT oven to 350°F. Place cream cheese into deep baking dish. Stir until smooth.

MIX in salad dressing, hot sauce and cheese. Stir in chicken.

BAKE 20 min. or until mixture is heated through; stir. Garnish as desired. Serve with celery sticks and tostito scoops.

Thank You, it says mix in salad dressing, I am guessing that's the 1/2 cup bleu cheese that's listed first? I actually have everything I need to make this.....I think it would be a hit! Thanks!!

Thanks for the great suggestions!! These all sound fantastic! The crazy feta sounds like something I will have dreams about!!

Those holiday bacon appetizers are awesome! I ate the leftover cold ones for breakfast the next day! :love:

I know everyone asks but can you post the recipe for the buffalo chicken dip and your taco dip? We are going to a party but not a football party, my DBF and his friend are having a "frag swap", where people bring small pieces of the corals from their saltwater tanks and either trade with other people or buy them. Since he is co-hosting we volunteered to bring some snacks, I was planning to make a bean dip (which everyone loves) but I'm curious about your taco dip and I think people might love the buffalo chicken dip.....

Buffalo Chicken Dip

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup blue cheese or ranch salad dressing

1/2 cup Hot Sauce or Buffalo Wing Sauce

1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese

2 cans cooked, chopped chicken

DIRECTIONS:

MIX in salad dressing, Hot Sauce and cheese. Stir in chicken.

BAKE 20 min. or until mixture is heated through; stir. Garnish as desired. Serve with crackers or vegetables.

I don't care for blue cheese so I use the ranch dressing/mozzarella cheese combination, but I've also halved the recipe and made two dips - one with blue cheese and one with ranch. I keep them warm in mini crock-pots. Also, I used the canned chicken because it's easier.

I have two taco dips - very similar - I'll post both.

Easy Taco Dip

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 8 oz. jar sour cream
1 package taco seasoning
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup chopped lettuce

Mix together softened cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning until smooth. Spread in pie plate.

Layer in order - lettuce, shredded cheese, tomato. Chill for one hour before serving.

Seven Layer Taco Dip

1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 cup guacamole
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 package taco seasoning mix
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup black olives, drained

In a large serving dish, spread the refried beans. Layer the guacamole on top of the beans.

In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and taco seasoning mix. Spread over the layer of guacamole.

Sprinkle a layer of Cheddar cheese over the mayonnaise mixture layer. Sprinkle tomato, green onions and black olives over the cheese.

Chill before serving.

I serve both taco dips with Tostitos scoops since it's easier to get the dip on the chip and less messy, IMO.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup blue cheese or ranch salad dressing

1/2 cup Hot Sauce or Buffalo Wing Sauce

1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese

2 cans cooked, chopped chicken

DIRECTIONS:

MIX in salad dressing, Hot Sauce and cheese. Stir in chicken.

BAKE 20 min. or until mixture is heated through; stir. Garnish as desired. Serve with crackers or vegetables.

I don't care for blue cheese so I use the ranch dressing/mozzarella cheese combination, but I've also halved the recipe and made two dips - one with blue cheese and one with ranch. I keep them warm in mini crock-pots. Also, I used the canned chicken because it's easier.

I have two taco dips - very similar - I'll post both.

Easy Taco Dip

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 8 oz. jar sour cream
1 package taco seasoning
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup chopped lettuce

Mix together softened cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning until smooth. Spread in pie plate.

Layer in order - lettuce, shredded cheese, tomato. Chill for one hour before serving.

Seven Layer Taco Dip

1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 cup guacamole
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 package taco seasoning mix
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup black olives, drained

In a large serving dish, spread the refried beans. Layer the guacamole on top of the beans.

In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and taco seasoning mix. Spread over the layer of guacamole.

Sprinkle a layer of Cheddar cheese over the mayonnaise mixture layer. Sprinkle tomato, green onions and black olives over the cheese.

Chill before serving.

I serve both taco dips with Tostitos scoops since it's easier to get the dip on the chip and less messy, IMO.

Thank You, that's exactly what I was considering doing, half and half. :) It's hard because I'm not sure how many people are going to be there, it's an open event meaning people will come and go all day, but I'm hoping insanely that he is able to sell some frags and make some $$! :)

Your 7 layer dip is basiccally what I make, only I use just sour cream and mix that with taco seasoning. :) Thanks again!!

oops...sorry!

you are correct, the first item should read 1/2 cup blue cheese salad dressing

Again, Thanks so much!! :) I would have made that way either way. :) You guys are great!!!

And ya, that crazy Feta....I could so eat that all by myself......LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter