• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Foot_in_mouth_disease and my idiot SIL

How is this worse or more idiotic than posting about a new niece-in-law, who you have never met, that would break the antique bed because she is so fat?

Because I was ranting as an anonmous person on an Internet board-and I was just repeating what SIL told me-not seeing a picture of the girl I have no idea what she looks like

MY SIL said that TO me and my SISTER-to her face-If you dont comprehend the difference-so be it.

(Wanted to add-I posted that thread after sitting with my SIL for a day selling my mom's stuff at a garage sale-enduring a snide remark every single time i lowered the price to get rid of stuff-it was a lousy day. When the FOLLOWING day SIL and Brother then asked if son and new wife-whom they wont let us meet or even see apicture of their wedding-could move into her house with just a few antiques and NO REFRIGERATOR , rent free, I did say not kind things ONLY HERE....not that it excuses it-it was after dealing with lots of crap from SIL)

Because I was ranting as an anonmous person on an Internet board-and I was just repeating what SIL told me-not seeing a picture of the girl I have no idea what she looks like

MY SIL said that TO me and my SISTER-to her face-If you dont comprehend the difference-so be it.

(Wanted to add-I posted that thread after sitting with my SIL for a day selling my mom's stuff at a garage sale-enduring a snide remark every single time i lowered the price to get rid of stuff-it was a lousy day. When the FOLLOWING day SIL and Brother then asked if son and new wife-whom they wont let us meet or even see apicture of their wedding-could move into her house with just a few antiques and NO REFRIGERATOR , rent free, I did say not kind things ONLY HERE....not that it excuses it-it was after dealing with lots of crap from SIL)

So it's OK to say things behind someone's back, but not to their face. Got it!:thumbsup2

I don't really care what my sister in law says. I have too much going on in my life to be bothered.

Don't understand all the sister in law problems that one reads on the dis.

No, in this family the insults seem to fly fast and furious. I pretty sure "meant to hurt" is present on all sides.

You're fat
You're an idiot
You're from North Carolina!

Again-never said those things to them-only on an anonymouse message board

Rita-you sure like to post on my threads :)

So it's OK to say things behind someone's back, but not to their face. Got it!:thumbsup2

I am confused-it seems the CB is full of posts similar to mine-please list what topics are acceptable for th CB, I am curious :)

Yeah, I believe that if people treated each other with the golden rule, rather in person through conversation or behind their backs on an anonymous message board, there would be a lot less hurt and a lot more love and support in this world.

Could it be possible that your sister in law was having a bad day too, after dealing with things that upset her? Maybe there are things going on in her life that you aren't privy to.

If you people could learn to communicate with each other there would be no need for this angst and drama. I really don't understand why you didn't just acknowledge her remark at the time by saying something like "You do realise that Bob and Sue spent 30 years in NC, and their daughters are born and raised North Carolinians, right"?

Not rude, not confrontational, just factual. She probably would have been embarrassed about sticking her foot in her mouth and apologized. Instead, Sis chose to feel like it was an intentional insult directed at her family (where probably none was meant) and you chose to feel insulted on her behalf.

Frankly, I don't know why any of you spend any time together.

Sigh.

To answer your question, NO I would not butt in and correct my sister in law about a comment which may have upset my sister. If my sister were upset,I would expect her to talk to sister in law and/or brother directly.

I would consider the whole thing none of my business and it would never cross my mind to say anything to anyone about it.

OP--I mean this more nicely than it is probably going to sound----I really think you need to take up some hobbies or else do some volunteer work, etc--you seem to have far too much time on your hands and this constant involving of yourself in family issue which truly do not seem to concern you at all is going to be so detrimental to your relationships in the long run.Get out and get busy so that you do not have the time to meddle. It will do you good.

It was up to your sister to deliver the set down. If she wasn't upset enough to defend herself, that's her business. You should step back and MYOB.

Seems as if your family likes to say nasty things to and about each other.

If that's the case, then you probably shouldn't get too up in arms about it, because you'll probably be up in arms a lot, based on what we already know of your family's history of treating each other.

The funniest part about threads like these are that the OP, and others like her, can "justify" what is posted. Through the advances of the internet there appears to be a social disconnect for family respect and communications. Hard to have respect for others when you disrespect them via an anonymous internet board.

In my family, I would have looked at the insulted sister, rolled my eyes and said something like "So I guess that makes your entire family foreigners!" Then we all would have laughed at the unintentional insult.

However, if you feel your SIL insulted your sister on purpose then feel free to get all riled up.

OP, you have so many brother/brother-in-law/sister/sister-in-law/niece/nephew stories, it is hard to keep them all straight, including who dropped out of school and is a professional body builder, who may or may not be posting too much on Facebook, who's kids are in minor-celebrity weddings (or not, as the threads pre-dated the actual event), or who is too fat, or who is not speaking to whom, or who is insulting whom for being from what state.

:faint:

It might help to give us a family tree so that we can keep all the players straight.

Since it was said in front of your sister then it is up to her to speak up and correct your SIL. And you should be proud of your nephew in not coming if his wife is not permitted to come. Maybe the rest of the family should let him know he and his wife are welcome in spite of what SIL says.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter