Foot_in_mouth_disease and my idiot SIL

Swan4Me

DIS Veteran
I am ranting here

So we are standing at a family event-My sis and hubby, me and hubs and my brother and idiot SIL-she has said so many dumb things over the years =but this takes the cake

Back in June her reserves Marine son married a girl he's know for 3 months-we were notified by my brother by email-they dont want us to meet her....I have other posts about this weird situation.
Anyway=SIL is ranting how much she hates her new DIL=how she told her son to come to event but NOT take his new wife-he made a excuse not to come

So SIL rants continue-
"She is NOT one of US".
"She is a "foreigner" (in other words not a part of our tightly knit Southern community)
"She is from" (and then puts on a fake weird Southern accent in a nasty way-which is totally weird cause we are ALL southerners)-NORTH CAROLINA

-insinuating that everyone from there is horrible

Here is the kicker.......

My sister and her hubby (until their recent move to Jacksonville FL) have lived 30 years in NC- their 2 girls were born and lived there their whole lives and still live there as college grads in their new jobs=and I adore my nieces!!!!

I was FLOORED by her comments and my sis was terribly hurt and bewildered...BUT -my idiot SIL is so uninvolved with any of us-I doubt she even remembers where my sister lived-and my brother is so deaf he didnt hear it :(

Question-would you do anything about it? I ignored her the rest of the day

I am ranting here

So we are standing at a family event-My sis and hubby, me and hubs and my brother and idiot SIL-she has said so many dumb things over the years =but this takes the cake

Back in June her reserves Marine son married a girl he's know for 3 months-we were notified by my brother by email-they dont want us to meet her....I have other posts about this weird situation.
Anyway=SIL is ranting how much she hates her new DIL=how she told her son to come to event but NOT take his new wife-he made a excuse not to come

So SIL rants continue-
"She is NOT one of US".
"She is a "foreigner" (in other words not a part of our tightly knit Southern community)
"She is from" (and then puts on a fake weird Southern accent in a nasty way-which is totally weird cause we are ALL southerners)-NORTH CAROLINA

-insinuating that everyone from there is horrible

Here is the kicker.......

My sister and her hubby (until their recent move to Jacksonville FL) have lived 30 years in NC- their 2 girls were born and lived there their whole lives and still live there as college grads in their new jobs=and I adore my nieces!!!!

I was FLOORED by her comments and my sis was terribly hurt and bewildered...BUT -my idiot SIL is so uninvolved with any of us-I doubt she even remembers where my sister lived-and my brother is so deaf he didnt hear it :(

Question-would you do anything about it? I ignored her the rest of the day

No I wouldn't do anything about. I'm not even sure why you would feel like you should. :confused3

Mostly likely I would laugh at her for being such an idiot or tell her sweetly to shut the F up and walk away . Walk away anytime she opens her mouth sounds like a good plan .

Let it go. Like someone else said you can't fix stupid. There are just certain people who say and do things that you just have to stop and remember who is saying or doing it and then let it go.

If I did anything I would sweetly inform her that N. Carolina is in the United States...lol...j/k. I would just let her go and laugh about it later.

really, north, south carolina, gerogia, alabama, tennessee is all the same state to me :rotfl:

I agree you can't fix stupid,but it doesn't mean you can't have fun with it lol. I love Mystery Machines ideas. Or I have a smart mouth button so I personally would be asking her if she is listening to the voices in her head again or has she taken her crazy medicine because her ugly is showing. Or I would give her :bless your heart and walk away lol.

really, north, south carolina, gerogia, alabama, tennessee is all the same state to me :rotfl:

And as someone who grew up in North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, and Mississippi and then moved to GEorgia as an adult, I COMPLETELY AGREE! :joker:

Seriously, OP, I would have done what you did: just consider the source and walk away. I imagine everyone in the family knows this woman is a nut case who just likes to stir up trouble. Be civil and keep your opinion to yourself. When she can't get you to play her silly games, she will move on to someone else.

As Zazu said, "There's one in every family--two, in mine!" There you go.:thumbsup2

Maybe I'm confused, isn't this the same nephew's wife whom you deemed to fat to sleep in your house?

Maybe I'm confused, isn't this the same nephew's wife whom you deemed to fat to sleep in your house?

That was my sarcastic comment.at the time.....because my SIL wanted them to move into my Moms house , for free-without us meeting her -which was ridiculous

That was my sarcastic comment.at the time.....because my SIL wanted them to move into my Moms house , for free-without us meeting her -which was ridiculous

Yeah, I'm not too good at remembering people's stories and who posted what, but I distinctly remember your shot on her weight and that she would break your bed. It sounds to me like you didn't have a whole lot of love for the woman to begin with, so I'm a little confused about all the concern now.

I have NO concern for her-still havent met her and her DH, my nephew, has disappeared from the family scene

its my SISTER that my brother's wife DISSED by this comment

Probably not any worse than the multiple times you have insulted family members on the internet. Just a different method of delivery so I would let it go.

This was my first thought - you can't fix stupid.

Exactly-there have been other "doozies" she has said, I am just astonished that she didnt connect that her husband's neices are ALSO girls from North carlolina

I know that you can't fix stupid but you can help it a little. I think I would have pulled her aside and said "I know you probably didn't mean to, but you insulted my sister when you said that about living in NC. I think you hurt her feelings." Kind of give her the benefit of the doubt. I think it's all in the delivery. If you attacked her it would make things worse but if you say it in a nice kind of concerned way she may get it.

How is this worse or more idiotic than posting about a new niece-in-law, who you have never met, that would break the antique bed because she is so fat?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter