Foot wear for a week long trip

PackMan

Earning My Ears
I'm a big dude and I'm spending a week walking around disney in august. I can't imagine wearing shoes in the heat so I'm looking for the most comfortable sandals that will support my feet and ankles the best...Thank you

Hello from a former Milwaukeean! Since you are going when it is still quite warm in Orlando, I would suggest packing 2 pairs of comfortable shoes - something you find comfortable to walk all day in. Our last trip was in Sept and it was still hot & humid there. Having 2 pairs of shoes allows you to switch out shoes each day so one pair can dry.

My family wore tennis shoes each day, and we were pretty comfortable. I did have 2 blisters start to develop, and I started wearing my running socks that wick the moisture away. The day after the blisters started, I wore a thin pair of moisture wicking socks. The blisters didn't get any bigger, but they weren't much better either. The next day I wore my thicker socks (the ones I actually wear for running) and the blisters were non-existant at the end of the day. I was hesitant to wear thick socks in FL, but I was a lot more comfortable.

Good luck finding something comfortable!

Take 2 pair of comfortable shoes and alternate them. It would help if you had an athletic shoe and a sandal. Also, make sure you break them in before you go.

Sandals? Try Chacos, Teva, or Keen

Athletic? Try a running shoe. We like Asics, Saucony, and Mizuno.

Zappos.com will give you free shipping both ways so that you can really compare. You can also read reviews of the shoes.

That's my opinion FIW.

My DH loves his Keens. Actually everyone in the house has a pair and we all love them! They are great for wet/dry conditions, breathable, have support, and your feet won't hate you after being on them all day. I am a hiker and there have been many a day that my feet protested against the heavy hiking boots and went for the Keens instead. Last trip, 32 miles on the Keens, and they are still great! :woohoo:

(He also had a pair of Teva's he liked too, but they were lost somewhere in Argentina.) :rolleyes1

I just completed the most ridiculously thorough research to find the best pair of sandals for my trip in two weeks - over the course of a month I ordered 20 pairs of sandals from Zappos and also went to a local shoe store for a fitting. Like you, I was set on wearing sandals (rather than sneakers) because of the heat.

In the end, I went with Chaco's - great arch support, sturdy, comfortable, and can handle getting wet. I also bought a pair of Keen's Venice H2 so that I can rotate the two pairs (we are doing 5 days). The very knowledgeable salesperson at the local shoe store I went to told me that the Keen Venice sandals have the most arch support of all the Keen's (in general, I found that Keen's didn't have enough support for my high arches, but these seem to).

I tried Teva's but they didn't offer me enough support. (I'm a runner who has occasionally struggled with plantar fasciitis so arch support is a big must for me - others might find Teva's to be just fine).

I also really like Birks, but wanted something a little better for water. There are some Birks (sold under the Birki's line) that are water shoes.

I would highly recommend shopping on Zappos so that you can try several pairs and easily send back what doesn't work. Good luck!

My DH is 6'3, built like a linebacker. He wears his Crocs and won't give them up.
He does wear his running shoes as well and switches between to the 2.
The Crocs give him plenty of support without making his feet hot.
At first you think the crocs will be hot, but when he sits down he flips them off and instant cool down. The material doesn't keep the heat.
He is also a diabetic and has to keep his feet happy! And the Crocs do the trick.

StaceyDuke ~ Would you mind sharing what kind of chaco's you ended up getting ~ I am going at the end of August and in the past have done fine with my teva mush, but have been having a lot of left heel pain and am thinking I want something with a little more support. I found a pair on sale at Zappos for 75.00 instead of 95.00, that had good reviews ~ but wanted to check with you since you did all that research ! Thanks!!
Kristy

Kristy, those are probably the ones I got! - Chaco ZX/2 Unaweep Vibram Yampa, in Prep (the green). For some reason, the green ones were on sale but the other colors weren't. I notice that the Z/2 Unaweep in Serenity (the light blue) are also on sale for $76. They fit me well also.

If you get the Chacos, make sure you read the instructions inside the box about adjusting the straps. It makes all the difference in the world when you get the straps right. Also, they do take a little time to break in (they fit comfortably from the beginning, but it is taking a little time for the bottom of my foot to get used to the texture of the shoe).

If you want to read the whole long explanation of my research, you can see it here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/earthchick/5964078778/in/photostream. I am a stubborn and thorough shopper! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter