Food & Wine & Feeling Fine: An October 2015 Dining Report (COMPLETE!)

This meal didn’t blow any of us away, but it was a pleasant start to the day. I’m not sure I’d travel very far to get to this breakfast, but I’d definitely visit again if staying at the Poly or another monorail resort. I’d give Kona breakfast a 3 out of 5 stars. If/when I do go back for breakfast, I think I’d like to give the Samoan a try. I’m not generally one to order eggs benedict, but the eggs over pulled pork hash sound amazing. I’d also be interested to try the macadamia-pineapple pancakes

Oh. The Samoan is my must-have breakfast at WDW. I usually coerce one of my travel companions to order the Tonga toast and we share both. I actually had to try making the Samoan at home recently because I was missing it so much. We love Kona and find it worth traveling for - though usually we only travel from the Magic Kingdom as this is a good "brunch" stop late in the morning before taking a rest during the height of the crowds.

The most disappointing thing to me about Food and Wine Festival (and mind you, I LOOOOVE food and wine) is the inconsistency at the booths. The butter chicken on naan and pork belly were two of my favorite things I tasted this past year, which is why I think the booths are just inconsistent. We did agree with you about the croissant with escargot - it was a good croissant but disappointing on the snail front.

Loving all the photos! Sad things are drawing to a close.

OMG, F&W stuff all looks sooooo good!!!!!!

I LOVED Food & Wine! I very, very highly recommend timing a trip to check it out if you haven't already!

Oh. The Samoan is my must-have breakfast at WDW. I usually coerce one of my travel companions to order the Tonga toast and we share both. I actually had to try making the Samoan at home recently because I was missing it so much. We love Kona and find it worth traveling for - though usually we only travel from the Magic Kingdom as this is a good "brunch" stop late in the morning before taking a rest during the height of the crowds.

The most disappointing thing to me about Food and Wine Festival (and mind you, I LOOOOVE food and wine) is the inconsistency at the booths. The butter chicken on naan and pork belly were two of my favorite things I tasted this past year, which is why I think the booths are just inconsistent. We did agree with you about the croissant with escargot - it was a good croissant but disappointing on the snail front.

Loving all the photos! Sad things are drawing to a close.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the report! You make a great point about Kona being a good brunch option if you're taking a late morning break from the MK. Maybe I'll get to try the Samoan one of these days after all! Speaking of a brunch break after the MK, I have been thinking I'd really like to try the brunch at Cali Grill, too...

And I totally agree about the trouble with consistency at the F&W booths. I think the best example I saw of that was when my friends tried and hated the steak from the Canada booth...I know that's usually a crowd favorite! I think it must be really hard to be consistent with such big crowds.

I LOVED Food & Wine! I very, very highly recommend timing a trip to check it out if you haven't already!
I was there during F&W two years ago but had no idea it was going on and did not take advantage of the situation. This time the timing just didn't work :sad2: But next time- I'll be back in October to enjoy it!!

have been thinking I'd really like to try the brunch at Cali Grill, too...

You're speaking my language! But yeesh the price is steep. I am waiting on more reviews before taking the plunge and hoping they're extending the run (haven't really been following the news, so maybe they already have)? One thing I think I am putting on my Disney "list" this year is the Swan/Dolphin Food and Wine Classic. I think that will be during the non-active period for our passes -- planning on letting them lapse from early October - January -- so it could be a good Disney event without the necessity of park tickets...

You're speaking my language! But yeesh the price is steep. I am waiting on more reviews before taking the plunge and hoping they're extending the run (haven't really been following the news, so maybe they already have)? One thing I think I am putting on my Disney "list" this year is the Swan/Dolphin Food and Wine Classic. I think that will be during the non-active period for our passes -- planning on letting them lapse from early October - January -- so it could be a good Disney event without the necessity of park tickets...

I was actually just looking for an ADR for the Cali Grille brunch and it doesn't seem to be available in late April. Maybe it was just a trial or maybe they just haven't decided whether to extend it?

I DID snag a reservation for the Narcoossee's brunch for that Sunday instead. Still pricey, but $10 cheaper. The review from the Dis podcast wasn't great this week, but I've read a few other glowing reviews. We have a TiW card, so maybe worth a try? I can't decide! Holding it for now, though.

The F&W classic seems AMAZING. I would love to try that someday! Seems like a great option to do that while your pass is lapsed since you wouldn't need park entry. This is a little OT, but curious how you made the decision to let your pass lapse. I was just this morning talking to my travel companion about whether we should renew our AP to save the $130 or wait to get another one next time we travel. Our passes expire 4/29 and we won't go again until the fall...but the $130 seems like a pretty big discount. Hmmm....

This is a little OT, but curious how you made the decision to let your pass lapse. I was just this morning talking to my travel companion about whether we should renew our AP to save the $130 or wait to get another one next time we travel. Our passes expire 4/29 and we won't go again until the fall...but the $130 seems like a pretty big discount. Hmmm....

Basically we decided that the renewal discount isn't worth it - I will have to belabor the point to explain so I apologize in advance. We got our passes in 2014 in May, and used them May, August, October, December, March, and one last time in May. We then let them lapse before getting brand new ones in October of 2015, so those will be good until early October 2016. Basically if I had renewed the 2014 passes, I would have paid for four months of annual pass "coverage" that I wasn't going to use - we didn't visit at all from late May 2015 until the following October, or 4 months... And roughly 1/3 of my annual pass price would have been wasted since I didn't visit Disney World during those 4 months. By waiting until I was ready to travel again in October, I was able to extend my pass by those 4 months so that it will be good until October 2016 -- I'll be getting at least one more trip out of the 2015 passes than I would have if I'd renewed in May. Therefore, I view it as a savings of one trip's park hopper (or somewhere around $400) by getting more trips out of the pass rather than taking the renewal discount of only ~$100. I'll more than likely buy new passes in late December 2016, just shy of three months after our passes expire, but then those will be good until the following December and so on.

All caught up and loving all the F&W deliciousness and of course the monorail crawl. We had the chicken the year before last and really loved it too. They had a hash vice the mac n cheese that year but it looks pretty similar. And love the look of the China and Japan steam buns. Never had either there, but love them.

Sorry your Kona breakfast wasn't all that. And you got it exactly right, the Samoan is definitely the big Kona winner.

Loving your reviews and all the fun y'all are having!!!! Thanks so much for taking time to share your adventure with us!!

And I totally agree about the trouble with consistency at the F&W booths. I think the best example I saw of that was when my friends tried and hated the steak from the Canada booth...I know that's usually a crowd favorite! I think it must be really hard to be consistent with such big crowds.
I had the same thing happen at the Canada booth. It was the filet mignon. In years past, it was incredible. This past year, it was beyond overcooked and cool as if it had been sitting forever. I tried it x2 and same sad result both times. Hopefully, it was just a one off this year & it will be back to its former greatness in years to come.

What a great trip report!! I'm planning out first visit during F&W and this has been soooo helpful. Thank you!

Therefore, I view it as a savings of one trip's park hopper (or somewhere around $400) by getting more trips out of the pass rather than taking the renewal discount of only ~$100. I'll more than likely buy new passes in late December 2016, just shy of three months after our passes expire, but then those will be good until the following December and so on.

This makes a ton of sense, thank you! I've been talking it through with my husband and I think we'll end up doing the same thing. We'll be unable to visit between May-November, and that's six months of wasted pass time. I have a hard time walking away from a discount (and Disney is so smart and knows this!) but I think your method is much more strategic. If we renew in December we can then get another trip or two out of the passes on the other end!

All caught up and loving all the F&W deliciousness and of course the monorail crawl. We had the chicken the year before last and really loved it too. They had a hash vice the mac n cheese that year but it looks pretty similar. And love the look of the China and Japan steam buns. Never had either there, but love them.

I'm sad I missed the monorail crawl but I am 100% sure I can convince the girls we need a redo on our trip in April! I heard about a drink at the Grand called the Mizner Cooler: St-Germain, Nolet’s Gin, Lime Juice, Simple Syrup, Soda Water, and Fresh Mint. Definitely need to give that a try! Also happy to drink a a Lapu Lapu any time. :drinking1

The steamed buns were both so delicious! I am sort of new to discovering steamed buns as a category of food and I am SO glad I learned about them.

Loving your reviews and all the fun y'all are having!!!! Thanks so much for taking time to share your adventure with us!!

So glad you're reading along and enjoying it! It's fun to relive the trip and share with all of you. :)

I had the same thing happen at the Canada booth. It was the filet mignon. In years past, it was incredible. This past year, it was beyond overcooked and cool as if it had been sitting forever. I tried it x2 and same sad result both times. Hopefully, it was just a one off this year & it will be back to its former greatness in years to come.

Fingers crossed right along with you! I'll definitely give it another try next time I visit F&W...unfortunately won't be this year because of my work schedule, but maybe 2017!

What a great trip report!! I'm planning out first visit during F&W and this has been soooo helpful. Thank you!

So glad you're reading along and that this has been helpful! Still one more installment of F&W to come with a few other dishes! :earsgirl:

Apologies for the delay in posting, everyone--I just got home from a non-Disney trip...to Puerto Rico! (Stacey and I stayed in San Juan for a few days and had a total blast. As foodies you will all be pleased to hear we had some incredible food including a 5-course dinner and wine pairing that was out of this world!) I know I’m over the suggested time frame to finish reports, so I’m going to try to wrap this up. I’ve got most of it written...just need to get it posted!

When last I left off, we had headed back to the Poly to get dressed and ready for the Halloween party! According to time-stamped photos, we left Epcot around 3:45 and were waiting for the monorail to the MK by 5:45. We got into the MK around 6 and took some amazing photos in front of the castle!

MK_MSBRCART_7523409484.jpeg

MK_MSBRCART_7523405209.jpeg

We decided we would like to get one of the special character pics so we got in line for the Seven Dwarves around 6:20. We thought we were being pretty smart getting there before the line wasn’t too long...but WE THOUGHT WRONG. We were in line for over an hour (though only part of that was official party time). Next time, I wouldn’t spend so much time on this! We did enjoy all of the people watching while we waiting...some people came up with absolutely incredible costumes! We also enjoyed some soft serve:

2015-10-18%2018.31.44.jpg

We all went with boring old chocolate/vanilla swirl rather than the candy corn flavor available fo the party. It was delicious and hit the spot...man I love soft serve!

While we were waiting we also got to enjoy the party music and a stunning sunset over the castle:

2015-10-18%2019.03.43.jpg

At some point Lindsey and I went to find the party exclusive pins over in Frontierland. By the time we got back into line, it was almost out turn for these pretty cute pics:

MK_FANTASYLANDWALLCHAR_7523404014.jpeg

MK_FANTASYLANDWALLCHAR_7492096385.jpeg

I love how Mel looks so happy to be holding hands with a dwarf! :lmao:

After we were finally free of the line, we wandered around and did a bunch of rides. It was approaching time for the fireworks, so we sent Mel to find us a spot while the girls went to get food. We went to Cosmic Ray’s and I picked out a chicken nugget dinner and a salad for Mel and I to share. No pics because it was really hard to carry everything myself and it was dark by the time we got to the hub! But you all know what those things look like anyway. The salad was decent and very fresh while the chicken nuggets were delicious as usual.

Mel had somehow gotten us the best seats ever for HalloWishes! We were in the hub grass in a section that I think is usually reserved for FPs on non-party nights. We were all able to sit down on the grass to watch the entire show which felt fabulously luxurious. Check out our view!

2015-10-18%2022.02.54.jpg

This was my first time seeing HalloWishes or any party fireworks for that matter, and these were phenomenal. Getting to watch excellent fireworks from this amazing seat was pretty much worth the price of admission!

After the fireworks we staked out a spot in Liberty Square to watch the Boo to You parade. I didn’t get great pics, but this parade was awesome! We loved the catchy song and though the gravediggers who make sparks with their shovels were incredibly cool. Mel got a vampire Mickey specialty popcorn bucket and we all shared some delicious Disney popcorn while watching the parade. I wish I’d gotten a pic of this guy because he was cute!

After the parade we did a bunch more rides and did some trick or treating. (All of the CMs kept saying “hi boss!” to Mel when they saw him dressed up like Mickey. That was a pretty cute touch!) We especially made sure to stop in at the Haunted Mansion:

MK_MAGHAUNT_7525792962.jpeg

On our way out, Mel and I stopped and got a few treats at the confectionary to take with us for later. We got one more of our favorites: a caramel apple! We asked the CM to cut it for us for easy snacking. We also got a mickey cookie (to match Mel’s outfit!) and a rice krispie treat.

2015-10-19%2010.09.24.jpg

2015-10-19%2010.14.39.jpg

2015-10-19%2010.15.03.jpg

We stayed until the bitter end of the party and then took the boat home to the Poly. We all loved the party! I think I would definitely do this again, but would be more selective about my character waits. I think Mel and I might head down for a short trip in December and we might get a Christmas party ticket instead of a park ticket one day (since our APs run out in April...wahhhhh!)

Up next: We head back to EP for some last-minute F&W fun and then it’s time to say goodbye!

Last edited:
The next morning, the crew woke up sad to realize that we had to leave later that day. But we still had a bunch of time before the Tragical Express, and we weren’t about to waste it moping around!

Mel and I packed up our stuff and brought it to the front desk while the girls finished packing and getting ready. Mel and I headed to Captain Cook’s for breakfast before we headed to the parks. My first few stays on property were all in value resorts, so I still think of resort quick service as being big, raucous places. Captain Cook’s is relatively small and quiet, at least the few times I’ve been there. There are still plenty of options for a quick and satisfying breakfast!

2015-10-19%2008.18.15.jpg

Mel and I decided to share an oatmeal with some fruit and a bounty platter. The bounty platter was pretty basic but a good amount of food. The eggs were much improved by a splatter of hot sauce. The potatoes and meat were tasty, the biscuit was good but a little dry, and of course the Mickey waffle was delicious and adorable!

2015-10-19%2008.18.18.jpg

The oatmeal was standard oatmeal, but we added some fruit and nut trail mix from home as well as a few clementines on the side. I know I’ve already said this once earlier in the report but it bears repeating...Disney oatmeal works really well for us! I especially like getting one oatmeal and one more “fun” breakfast as a way of balancing healthy/feel good in your body food with vacation/exciting food.

2015-10-19%2008.18.20.jpg

After breakfast we met up with the girls and headed to Epcot for some more rides and one last lunch around the world. Mel started with a head of lettuce he brought from home. This is very typical Mel behavior…

2015-10-19%2010.21.35.jpg

We took a right when we got to World Showcase and started our food tour back in France for one more serving of the Boeuf bourguignon: Braised short ribs in cabernet with mashed potatoes. Again, the meat and gravy was delicious while the disc of mashed potatoes was a little strange texturally. I’d deal with that any day, though, if it means I get to have that tender and scrumptious short rib again!

2015-10-19%2013.21.10.jpg

Continuing on our way counter clockwise, we stopped at Belgium for a few waffles. Mel and I shared some of the sweet and the savory: Potato and leek waffle with beer-braised beef and smoked gouda cream and Belgian waffle with berry compote and whipped cream.

2015-10-19%2013.25.36.jpg

The sweet waffle was obviously much prettier and was nice and crispy so held up well to the fruit. The fruit had a hint of tartness to balance the sweet, and getting a piece of waffle with a bit of fruit and some cream made for a very nice bite. While not at all attractive, the savory waffle was much tastier than I remembered from a previous festival. I’m not sure how flavorful the waffle itself was, but it served as a nice chewy vessel to carry the salty beer-braised beef and the gouda cream. Did not expect to enjoy this but really did!

In an effort to fill out our passport stamps, we stopped at Morocco for a Harissa Chicken Roll. This photo really confused me just now and sent me reading back through all the F&W menus on the Disney Food Blog...I was totally puzzled where the random egg roll came from! Clearly this left zero impression on me whatsoever. (Sorry, Morocco!)

2015-10-19%2013.39.23.jpg

We continued on to Italy where we tried the Chicken Marsala--filetto di pollo, con funghi al marsala: Chicken tenderloin, cremini mushrooms, marsala sauce and ciabatta bread. I DO remember this one...and being very disappointed with it. This item was one of the more expensive at the festival at $6 and it was reminiscent of a lousy frozen meal. I will be skipping this one next time.

2015-10-19%2013.58.39.jpg

Look how happy I am at Disney! Why am I not there right now?!?

2015-10-19%2014.21.50.jpg

Next we visited the South Korea booth for the actual meat version of the BBQ dish I’d tried earlier in the week: Korean Barbecue Short Rib with Steamed Rice and Cucumber Kimchi. This was pretty good and MUCH better than the vegan version. (Sorry, vegans.) Not my favorite short rib preparation at the festival, though. (Love you, France! :love:)

2015-10-19%2014.30.06.jpg

We were starting to slow down at this point, but we had to make room for a few more items. We were back around near the entrance to Future World, so of course that meant we needed to do the mac and cheese and griddled yard bird from Farm Fresh just one more time. Seriously loved these dishes! Tried the Key Limen wine too which was too sweet for my taste.

2015-10-19%2014.50.48.jpg

We headed to Greece for the Spanakopita. Buttery phyllo dough plus feta and spinach...what’s not to like here?! I’m sure I’ve had better or more authentic spanakopita, but this was still a tasty treat.

2015-10-19%2015.10.32.jpg

For our last taste of the festival, we headed back to the Chew Lab for the Liquid Nitro Chocolate Almond Truffle with Warm Whiskey Caramel. Again the tastes and textures on this one were out of this world!

2015-10-19%2015.22.37.jpg

We bid a fond farewell to the 2015 Food & Wine Festival and jumped on the monorail back to the Poly. There we gathered our luggage, took some last pics of the gorgeous landscaping, and boarded the Tragical Express.

2015-10-19%2016.57.05.jpg

We got to the airport and through security without incident and grabbed dinner for the plane from the Italian place in the Jetblue terminal--a salad, veggie pizza slice, and garlic knots. This was fine but clearly not as good as Disney food. :sad:

2015-10-19%2019.09.11.jpg

Up next: One final wrap up post!

Last edited:
Final Thoughts:

October was a truly awesome trip and I loved getting to try some new things:

• Our first food and wine pairing meal with the lunch at Tutto Gusto.
  • First ticketed party with MNSSHP...LOVED it!
  • Lots of meals at new restaurants including Hollywood Brown Derby, Sanaa, Trattoria al Forno, Citricos, and Kona--faves were Sanaa and Trattoria.
  • First visit to Trader Sam’s...even though we didn’t get to go inside.
  • First stay at the Poly.
  • First dining report!
I’ve got another trip coming up in just a few weeks and I’m really looking forward to it. Sadly Mel can’t come, but I’ll be traveling with Linds and Stacey again. I’m heading down a few days early to spend time with friends before the girls join me. Lots of firsts planned for that trip as well:
  • First trip to Universal! Can’t wait to check out the Harry Potter stuff. (Shhh don't tell Mickey!)
  • First night staying at Disney by myself along with a solo Disney touring day. Slightly nervous and very excited for this.
  • First time staying at the Beach Club...though we all LOVE the Epcot resort loop and we’re thrilled to be back.
  • New night entertainment at Animal Kingdom including Rivers of Light. CANNOT WAIT.
  • Also really excited to see Symphony in the Stars fireworks at HS for the first time.
  • ADRs at a bunch of new restaurants including: The Plaza and Via Napoli (solo reservations), Rose & Crown, Tusker House lunch, Narcoossee’s brunch, and Garden Grille breakfast.
I’m hoping to document the trip and share it here on the boards...I hope you’ll all join me! Until then, I’ll look forward to reading about all of your food and travels and chatting with you on the boards. Thanks for reading!

STUDIO_STDENTR1_7492518062.jpeg

Loved your review & your pics were incredible! I had some of the same experiences at F&W last fall. Loved that Liquid Nitro Chocolate Almond Truffle. Prob the best of the all new offerings last year. I've always been disappointed with Morocco and Italy at F&W. Just sad. Morocco's year round restaurants at Epcot are very, very good. Tangierine Cafe is a fav on the Boards. Restaurant Marrakesh doesn't get as much love but I love their lunch offerings when looking for a less $ TS option. And Italy should be so much better at F&W. Italian food is to die for but not at F&W. Sigh. Thought the Belgian savoury waffle was unique & tasty. So all in all, F&W had its highs and lows. And I absolutely agree with how fantastic MNSSHP is! Last Fall was also my first time at the party & it was an absolute home run. One of the few hard ticket events that I would pay for again. Thanks again for your incredible report & the chance to walk down memory lane! Looking forward to any reports to come. You are one incredible poster! Two thumbs way up! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

First night staying at Disney by myself along with a solo Disney touring day. Slightly nervous and very excited for this.
Don't be worried . . . just enjoy! I love WDW solo. I get to do what I want, when I want and w/o dealing with anyone else's concerns or problems. What park are you planning to solo? They are all incredible for solo guests & you really can't go wrong. If you are a rope drop person, make the most of it & do all the rides & attractions that are special to you. Have a great time! ps solo dining whether at CS or TS is easy. Let me know if you have any specific concerns. I haven't been to either the Plaza or Via Napoli solo. Have enjoyed both but some yrs ago with one of my nieces. Again, have a great time!

Look how happy I am at Disney! Why am I not there right now?!?

Agreed! But we're both smart enough to have trips in the works to ease the pain :hyper:

First trip to Universal! Can’t wait to check out the Harry Potter stuff. (Shhh don't tell Mickey!)

I loved Universal so much after my first trip (well, first as an adult) in January that we're headed back during our April trip! The food there is awesome!!! (Well I am mainly thinking of the resorts and CityWalk)

I’m hoping to document the trip and share it here on the boards...I hope you’ll all join me!

Yes, please do!!! Link us from here when you get it started!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter