food quality at WDW

Are you just talking about CS meals? As far as CS meals, we just expect amusement park food & are pretty excited when it tastes better than our expectations. :rolleyes1 We really LOVE most of the TS restaurants. We just avoid the few that we didn't care for. (Unfortunately for my waistline, the food is one of my favorite parts about our WDW trips!) :laughing:

This is us as well, LOL. (Regarding the food being, well, for us, 50% of the enjoyment of the trip)!

We find the CS meals good, considering what they are. However, we also LOVE most of the TS restaurants. I find the food excellent across the board, and the desserts, well, let's just say I usually have to adjust the waist band by the end of the trip, hehe.

Regarding CS meals however, I actually think some of them are excellent, as far as theme parks go. Columbia Harbour House and Flame Tree BBQ in AK come to mind as some of our favorites!

I just got back from Disney a few days ago and I have to say that I was suprised at how the quality of the food has gone downhill in many of my favorite restaurants. We have always loved the food at Disney, but we had some pretty terrible meals at restaurants that we used to love. Also, there seem to be fewer and fewer selections on the menu. The Mickey ice cream bars are still good though :thumbsup2

Yes, I agree with you. We used to love, love, love the food at Disney but the last time we were there - last month - so much of what we had was just awful. I guess it would at least be tolerable if we had Free Dining because then we would be paying for what we got. One exception was the pasta dish at POR. I ordered pasta with shrimp, pesto sauce, and artichoke hearts. They make it to order and it was wonderful.

Unless things improve, we won't stay onsite again.

I always rent a car but still eat in the parks but this September I am going outside the park to eat. their prices are may to much $$$$$$$$$$$, I dont mind spendingmoney for a good meal but all the Disney food seems to be on the same level, medicore.

Gail.. You are skipping free dining. To pay for meals offsite??
Also I saw someone else mention they are going in September. But, bringing their own food. You both must be staying offsite, right??

OP, I would love to hear the places you have eaten. That you say you got horrible cs food. I see you are a fairly new poster. Stick around the boards for awhile, and you can find some pretty decent food offerings.

Sunshine Seasons. Everything is fresh, and very good there
Cosmic Rays, very good chicken platters
Wolfgang Pucks Express
Pecos Bills, has very decent burgers
Columbia Harbor house, tuna salad sandwiches, salads, fish baskets etc
Earl of sandwich.
Tangeriene Cafe

There is a lot of palatable food to be had. You just have to know where to go.

People always say that Disney food is very pricey. I think it is in line, and on par with a lot of other amusement parks. With the exception of the Pepper Market. But, if you are on the DDP. That is not an issue.

:headache:

I have been going to WDW since 1977 and I have seen NO improvement in the food in general. I do not know how the food is in the fancy schmancy restaurants of theirs
I've been going to the park even longer than you, and I've seen huge improvements in dining: the availability of healthy options and fresh fruit at theme parks, the employment of top chefs.

The dining plan may have limited some menus, but there's no way that Disney in 2009 isn't serving better food than it did in 1977.

Some of the food is good. Some of it isn't - and it used to be good. That is quite disappointing. Sanaa (a brand new restaurant) was great in May but so-so to me in June - all because of cooking and service issues (sides served cold, one person in the party sent a steak back twice for undercooking, etc).

WDW is definitely serving better food in 2009 than it did in 1977 but it is not serving better food than it did in 2001.

I no longer go near the buffets except for Boma or Biergarten, maybe Tusker House.

I'm at WDW for 10 days in August/September and am not getting free dining. I do not want to be restricted for 10 days to restaurants that accept the dining plan and I sometimes like making a meal out of appetizers - no entree, no dessert. (I will have Tables in Wonderland though). I won't be going offsite.

And one could spend a whole week at WDW, even on the dining plan, and never once eat a burger, pizza, or a chicken nugget if they wanted to. So I cannot say that I think all the CS are the same. I had a pretty good caprese salad at Pizza Planet a week or so ago - but I never see anything on the boards about that salad.

Strictly speaking CS, while a lot of the fare isn't gourmet I think it is better than McDonalds.

We stayed at SSR in June and ate at Artist Palette frequently- my DH loved their flatbread pizza and I liked the Asian salad- definitely better than any fast food restuarant.

We also enjoy Sunshine Seasons and CS in World Showcase for variety and a break from chicken sandwich and burgers.

We don't eat CS unless it's a snack.Not that we eat fast food anyway,as a contractor who has remodeled hundreds of fast food joints I cannot in good conscience eat in them unless I have no choice.Even Disney is not immune to the common issues when you have 20-40 teenagers being managed by a 30 yr old who is overworked.

TS food is far better and for the way we eat it is not significantly more expensive.We take in water,chocolate and light snacks.

The 2TS and signature food is comparable to any similar restaurant outside WDW.

FWIW not everyone's tastes are the same.

i would agree with the op. i love disney and we just returned from 8 nights at carribean beach. Out of all the ts meals we had ohana was the only one i really liked. the filet mignon at le cellier was the size of a meatball and had no flavor. the new york strip i had at shutters and at captains grill was no better than a steak at ponderosa. flame tree at AK was a pretty good cs meal also. Chef Mickeys dinner was pretty good but wouldnt have been worth the $100 for a family of 4 it would have cost us w/o the dining plan. Now even though we didnt have the best of luck with food this trip i still cant wait until we can go back down!!

Wow, I guess I am easy to please because I look forward to WDW food! I think it is yummy and way cheaper than the food I find at local theme parks...I never thought the food prices were unreasonable. A "value" meal at fast food places is $6 now which is only a dollar or two less than a meal as a CS Disney place.

I've enjoyed most of my CS experiences but then again I don't order hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken tenders. These are where we usually eat:

Flame Tree BBQ
Anywhere in the World Showcase (I love Tangierine Cafe)
Columbia Harbor House
Pecos Bills
Pizza Planet - only place we get pizza in the park. We've also had a large piece with tons of cheese and it's been hot and fresh.

Maybe you need to try something other than standard park fare. Maybe you'll have better luck.

We usually enjoy all the meals we have, CS and TS. I admit the majority of the CS is burgers, pizzas, etc. and the quality is par for the course for a typical theme park, but if you look carefully, you will find selections other than the typical burger or pizza! The pricing I find also par or a bit lower - last time we had food at Six Flags, it was way overpriced and on the bad side as well - not to mention the dirty areas to sit.

Given the cleanliness of the food areas, and the fact that CS is meant to be more along the lines of fast food fare, I find most of it to be better than average.

The TS is better than most of the places we can get in our area and I have only had one "bad" meal over at Studios (Brown Derby). All in all, we are pleased with the quality and selection that Disney has to offer. We have learned over the years what we like and what we dislike and tend to frequent our favorites!

If you ever go to a Six Flags, you will find a HUGE difference in the quality of food and service!!

I am sorry to hear of your bad experiences. However, when I go to WDW, I do not eat burgers, hot dogs, and fries. I visit the table service restaurants frequently and may hit a counter service once or twice. Even still, I know where to go to get good food that isn't standard junk food fare.

I think the quality of food is good for CS and TB are all good to. I have no problem with the food.

And one could spend a whole week at WDW, even on the dining plan, and never once eat a burger, pizza, or a chicken nugget if they wanted to. So I cannot say that I think all the CS are the same. I had a pretty good caprese salad at Pizza Planet a week or so ago - but I never see anything on the boards about that salad.

I am with you on the Caprese Salad at Pizza Planet. YUM!

I think if you are eating burgers and nuggets day in and day out, it will get old. However, try some of the other items WDW offers and you might just be surprised. I had a wonderful flakey ham and cheese crossiant in France at the little bakery. Fresh and light cherry tomato and mozzarella salad at sunshine seasons. Warm french bread bagette with a fruit and cheese tray from the Bakery in France. A yummy baked potato at the fruit stand nestled next to the Hall of Presidents (Bonus it counted as a snack credit!). Half a baked chicken and ribs at Cosmic Ray's. Some oooey gooey grilled Steak Quesadillas at CSR's Pepper Market. Oh! and my favorite the fish and chips in Epcot/England! Yum! Drool! Dream! I for one can't wait until my next meal in The World!

I've been going to the park even longer than you, and I've seen huge improvements in dining: the availability of healthy options and fresh fruit at theme parks, the employment of top chefs.

The dining plan may have limited some menus, but there's no way that Disney in 2009 isn't serving better food than it did in 1977.

Agreed that Disney food in 2009 is better than Disney food in 1977. But Disney food in 2009 is also much worse that it was in 2000 when it seemed to be at its best. On my last trip in early May, I was very frustrated by limited counter service and just plain bad food. There are still some good meals to be had in counter service, but if you don't know where to find them, you can easily be subjected to some pretty awful stuff. Those chicken nuggets they've been serving lately are just plain gross.

If you are talking CS then I am with ya...the pizza, burgers and chicken fingers are horrible..but the hot dogs and salads and the fruit I have found to be delish!

Now TS places, they are excellent at WDW, I have no complaints there at all

I for one think that the CS food/options are WAY better at WDW than at any other Amusement park I have ever been to... ESPECIALLY Six Flags...that place is horrible.... more expensive, terrible food, and no place to sit and eat it (without trash all around you). I have eaten at Kings Dominion, two different Six Flags (Largo, MD and Gurnee, IL), Hershey Park, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg.... they all pale in comparison to WDW on EVERY level!!

We like the CS food at most locations in WDW.... we eat at Pecos Bills every year (love the fixin's bar). Our favorite CS is probably the food court at POR.... they have great options and the food is Delicious... we ate a few lunches and dinners there last year (on our mid-day breaks) and Breakfast just about every morning. We also all enjoyed Sunshine Seasons at Epcot last year... something for everyone, plenty of variety, and yummy food and desserts!

:headache:

I do not know how the food is in the fancy schmancy restaurants of theirs, but according to many food reviews here, maybe a little bit better!

I don't know where you've been eating, but the "fancy schmancy" places are REALLY GOOD. There are even non-expensive fancy places that are DELISCIOUS!

Try Teppan Edo at Epcot. Teppan-Yaki style, descently priced, and SO GOOD!

Lunch at Liberty Tree Travern (Magic Kingdom) was pretty good when we had it, but I think they're changing the menu soon (if they haven't already)...so I don't know how that would be now.

Donald's safari breakfast at Animal Kingdom - SPECTACULAR! Their pizza place was good too.

In my opinion everything at Hollywood studios pretty much sucks, so I would recommend staying away from food there all together.

If you don't want to leave Disney and go "off property", then try a hotel. For instance, Boma (buffet at the Animal Kingdom loge) or Chef Mickey's (buffet at Disney's contemporary) are both really good. Chef Mickey's is character breakfast, so that's ALWAYS fun.

Unfortunately, the cheapest hamburger they sell might not be the way to go if you don't like it. Disney is expensive...but it's Disney. My husband and I have found that it's better to pay more money for a good meal and get full than pay a lot of money for cruddy meals where you never feel full. In the end, it saves us money because we're satisfied and not eating as much.

Sorry you had such a frustrating meal experience. I've had a few of those at Disney, so I know how you feel. You could also get a villa and have a full kitchen where you buy your own groceries, cook your dinners and take your own food to the parks. It's cheaper for the food if you want to do that on vacation - but the villas are expensive! BUT - if you want to go this route they actually have grocery places that deliver directly to your villa...and other than a small $5 fee, it's only the $5 plus the cost of groceries.

Some of the food quality is poor, but not all of it. Most (not all) counter service is mediocre, but Disney does offer a lot of table service options with good food. It may not be a 4 or 5 star restaurant, but the food is good. JMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter