• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food poisoning at DL Blue Bayou

This happens often. I have family members who claim to get food poisoning every time they eat a rich meal or Chinese food. Eating a meal with a high fat content on an empty stomach can easily end up with the result the OP described.

I was just going to say that the timing here sounds more like a gall bladder issue than anything else. If they ate a big, rich meal, that is very likely the case!

As one of the people who mentioned I "might" have had food poisoning from there, I can't confirm it. I very well could have had a bug or my stomach with rides and the food didn't mesh well. I can't say for sure. I should have been more careful to place blame on BB, because bottom line, I am not sure. All I do know is whatever it was, was bad and I wish to never experience it again. At disneyland or not :)

The flip side is food poising can vary in degrees and many people get food poisoning and write it off to various illnesses, etc.

When in question, it is always better to report it than not, with or with out confirmation...because then if there is more than 1 or 2 reports, it becomes clear it probably was food poisoning.

When I had food poisoning it was the worst thing ever. We know where it came from and that it was, indeed, food poisoning (verified). My mom and I got it at the EXACT same time of day after we ate at the restaurant for lunch. Good heavens was it extreme LOL. I hope for OP's family members it wasn't actually food poisoning because it can be SO AWFUL..I can't imagine it at Disneyland!

Anywho..tons of people continue to eat at the restaurant we got sick at and never get sick..but I can't touch it anymore. It can be isolated and sometimes be from just one employee. Bleh.

Wow I think this thread has done more than its justice! Just writing what I was told...they both feel it was food poisoning..who am I to tell them they are wrong the next day when they are still feeling the side effects of whatever it was that made them I'll. You all make very good points! :goodvibes thanks for all the responses..but we can probably close this thread now . Don't want to give the BB a bad name..leap. Since I will be eating there next week and will most likely have crab cakes and gumbo! :thumbsup2

Ok, so we went to Disneyland a few months ago with our son and a friend. Stayed there all day until it closed. Ate dinner at the Blue Bayou restaurant there.
4 hours later, on our way home, my wife was violently ill, throwing up in the car. The next morning, at 6AM we rushed her to the local hospital with intense stomach pain, where she was admitted to the emergency room with food poisoning.

We have been battling with Disney over reimbursing us for half the cost, and they offered us 25%, and only if we signed a Non Disclosure Agreement and didn't talk about it, and didn't post anything online about it. Well, yesterday we declined, saying our right to free speech couldn't be bought, and so here we are. I'm going to post my *** off about their underhanded tactics. What if we were able to stop other people from going through the same thing? The Disney mouthpiece, Bob Weiss, told us that we can't find anyone else who got sick, and we said...that's because you bought their silence, Bob.

Wow, an old thread bump!

Sorry your wife was sick, but it happens, would you go after Denney's if it happened there???

Nothing will come of you mouthing off here.

Have a nice day.

--Lori:flower3:

Wow, an old thread bump!

Sorry your wife was sick, but it happens, would you go after Denney's if it happened there???

Nothing will come of you mouthing off here.

Have a nice day.

--Lori:flower3:

(Bolding in the quote is mine)

Actually Lori, something WILL come of Larold's "mouthing off" - I won't ever be eating at Blue Bayou.

Well, yesterday we declined, saying our right to free speech couldn't be bought
So, you don't understand free speech? Free speech simply means you can speak out against the government. You can say anything you want, within reason. But speaking out about a private business can have consequences, such as liable claims.

As for food poisoning, if your wife was diagnosed with food poisoning, the county would be notified and Orange county would do an inspection. Also, many others would have been ill.

They did have a report of a possible report in May of 2013, but were cleared by the county.

Actually Lori, something WILL come of Larold's "mouthing off" - I won't ever be eating at Blue Bayou.
Why? An unsubstaniated report? Do you understand food poisoning?

"Food poisoning can start as soon as 12 hours after someone eats contaminated food. Symptoms can include dizziness and fatigue. Later, more severe symptoms including vomiting and diarrhea, can set in."

So, 4 hours is a little too fast for the poisoning to have been from Blue Bayou.

Why? An unsubstaniated report? Do you understand food poisoning?

"Food poisoning can start as soon as 12 hours after someone eats contaminated food. Symptoms can include dizziness and fatigue. Later, more severe symptoms including vomiting and diarrhea, can set in."

So, 4 hours is a little too fast for the poisoning to have been from Blue Bayou.
It was substantiated enough for me by the fact that Disney was willing to pay 25% of the medical bills. Why pay if your not guilty? And don't say the bad press, as Disney wanted them to sign an non-disclosure agreement.

It was substantiated enough for me by the fact that Disney was willing to pay 25% of the medical bills. Why pay if your not guilty? And don't say the bad press, as Disney wanted them to sign an non-disclosure agreement.
Interesting. It is unsubstantiated because you are taking the word of a poster who has never posted other than this one rant. Did you check to see if the person had any credibility? If the hospital diagnosed it as food poisoning, and felt it was related to Blue Bayou, the county would have investigated. The OP said this was "a few months ago". The last investigation for food poisoning was in May 2013.

The OP said 4 hours after eating, she got ill. Food poisoning starts generally 12 hours after ingestion.

If I was to become ill after eating at a specific restaurant, and I knew it was that restaurant, why would I only ask for 1/2 my medical bills? I would ask for 100%.

Blue Bayou serves 100s of people a day. You don't think OC register would pick up on a lot of people getting ill and write a report on it?

Why would Disney offer 25%? To make the people happy. Same reason they offer refunds to some when the park is crowded, or free meals when something goes wrong.

But if you want to avoid Blue Bayou, that is fine. I don't particularly care for the restaurant. I won't be going, but not because 1 person on a message board posts his only post telling us this.

There are so many red flags in that post. Malcon10t did a good job laying it out. First, assuming it is true that the OP's wife had a hospital-verified case of food poisoning, there is no mention that it was verified to have come from Blue Bayou. Had that been the case, steps would have been taken and reports filed. It seems doubtful that there ever was a verified case, however, since no record exists. But let's assume that that part is true. We then have further red flags:

Asking Disney to cover half of the expense is a very random request and indicates that they don't have any verification that it came from a Disney restaurant.

That Disney still offered to pay 25% shows that Disney is attempting to maintain good will in spite of this likely having nothing to do with them. Disney asking that the poster not spread the story of food poisoning at the park is exercising their right to stop defamation of their name, which is quite legitimate in this case. That the poster refused to accept it makes little sense since they provide no proof that this was Disney's fault. If they DID have proof it came from BB, it would have been in a report and they would have asked for all expenses to be covered, which they most likely would have received. It isn't hard to understand why Disney would want to maintain goodwill and stop the spread of harmful rumors.

Finally, coming on this board to make libelous claims with no other background here seems very suspect to me. I'm in agreement with Malcon10t. For me, this just doesn't ring true. I believe it is ill-advised to take a random message board posting as gospel truth.

My guess would be that it was something they ate earlier that day or the day before without proper hand washing and that it was the germs they got off their hands and not food related at all. I remind my kids that DL hosts the germs of a thousand nations. :)the same people handling money are the ones handing you your churro and ice cream bar - even if one does not use sanitizer, if ever there was a place to make an exception that place is DL!

Many times what people attribute to food poisoning is actually Irritable Bowel Syndrome. A person can have it and not realize it until it hits them the first time. And at a place like DLR, we tend to eat meals that are bigger and richer than we normally eat, which will trigger IBS. I speak as someone who has suffered from this for over 30 years.

I got food poisoning in Mexico when I was 17. I was in the shower when it hit me, I was bent over double because of the stomach cramps. It was all I could do to get dressed and crawl to my bed. A doctor was called in because there was a fear that I was dehydrating. If you think you have food poisoning you should definitely report it so that something can be done, it is bad enough for an adult but for a child it could be fatal.

you would take the word of someone who claims food poisoning over others who, like myself, have eaten at BB multiple times and have never had any issues at all? That seems silly to me.

That's awful :(. One of the worst places to be sick. However, the last time I got food poisoning (about 3 months ago), I started to feel sick about 8 hours after eating the offending food. I honestly don't think food poisoning shows up that quickly after eating it. But I could totally be wrong. Maybe it depends on the type of bacteria.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter