Food of the Dream

paul436

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking about a Bermuda cruise out of NYC next year on the Dream. I took this cruise on the Magic this year and really enjoyed it. There is a lot more to see on Bermuda that I missed on this trip so don't mind the same itinerary.

But the food on the Magic, as a whole, was mediocre at best. I had a burger for lunch one day at Rapunzel's that was practically inedible. I remember taking a cruise on the Magic in 2012 and everything we ate was the best thing we ever had. That changed this cruise.

Is the food on the Dream any better?
(I have high expectations for a Disney cruise. If they charge (and I pay) a premium price I expect excellent food.

I'm thinking about a Bermuda cruise out of NYC next year on the Dream. I took this cruise on the Magic this year and really enjoyed it. There is a lot more to see on Bermuda that I missed on this trip so don't mind the same itinerary.

But the food on the Magic, as a whole, was mediocre at best. I had a burger for lunch one day at Rapunzel's that was practically inedible. I remember taking a cruise on the Magic in 2012 and everything we ate was the best thing we ever had. That changed this cruise.

Is the food on the Dream any better?
(I have high expectations for a Disney cruise. If they charge (and I pay) a premium price I expect excellent food.
It's all subjective, but in reading through comments and talking with people we know, I definitely think the food overall is not as good as it used to be on the ships. We sailed the Dream in May and thought the food overall was not good and definitely not as good as it has been in the past. Cabanas breakfast was pretty good and Palo brunch was good.
Conversely, I sailed the Dream a few weeks ago, and thought the food had really improved. Dining rotation dinners were much better, but Cabanas breakfast was bad (how? it's breakfast) and Palo brunch food was average at best (albeit lovely).
So I really think it's hit or miss. You won't go hungry, but I wouldn't expect excellent food. I really hope it improves over time with better supply chain and staffing. That's just my opinion.
We're sailing on the Magic next October on the WBPC cruise and I really hope things improve by then because we're not looking forward to 14 days/nights of average at best food.
I know DCL prices are at a premium price, but I wouldn't let the food deter you from enjoying your cruise. There are so many good things about the Dream!

I say this in the least aggressive way possible, If you want excellent food you may want to look for a different cruise line with more options on board. I personally have never had issues with food on the Dream but these things can be really hit or a miss. It really depends on the chefs on board.

We were on the 8/10/22 Sailing on the magic this year and had perfect food the entire cruise minus one dinner that was really rough. It really seems to be a random chance.

This all being said, it seems as though you may do better on a larger ship with more options for a Bermuda cruise. This is just an opinion however.

There do seem to be more issues since DCL restarted sailing. I would guess some is due to supply issues and some is due to still being short of crew members.

I just got off the Magic last week and also sailed on the Dream in June, both were 5 night sailings. Some of the menus were exactly the same with a few little tweaks depending on the night. With that being said, I pretty much always enjoy the food on DCL, even though I feel like the Pirate night menu could definitely be updated. Food is very subjective, so one person's dislike may very well be another person's favorite.

There do seem to be more issues since DCL restarted sailing. I would guess some is due to supply issues and some is due to still being short of crew members.
I hope this is true as it would likely mean that things should improve by next year when many of these issues are rectified to a certain extent. Thanks

I am pretty fussy food person. I cook-alot. Eat out rarely. I was on the Dream in September. I thought the food wasn't bad. I enjoyed it. I thought our dinner at Palo was especially good. Food on the pool deck was ok- what I would expect for deck food- the chicken tenders though... yum! I can't comment on cabanas. We did concierge this trip and had breakfast in the lounge each day. Everyone's palate is different. I don't think DCL is a culinary cruise when it comes to the food, you may chose a different cruise line for that. But I have had some nice meals that I have enjoyed.

Everybody needs to remember DCL is fighting the same supply chain issues that are affecting all restaurants as it applies to food quality, so things will vary, cruise to cruise. A chef can only do so much.

Everybody needs to remember DCL is fighting the same supply chain issues that are affecting all restaurants as it applies to food quality, so things will vary, cruise to cruise. A chef can only do so much.
Supply is one thing but undercooked, overcooked or cold dishes can be managed by proper monitoring of consistency in quality

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter