• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food ideas for camping and picnics

tink20

DIS Veteran
We are going camping in a few weeks. (in a cabin with a full kitchen)

I need to cook:

2 breakfast
1 dinner (maybe 2, depending on if we go out to eat one night)
2 picnic lunches

for 4 adults, 1 child (DS 11)

We will stop by a grocery before we check in at the cabin.
Any fun ideas? TIA

in a cabin with a full kitchen? lol sorry, that's not camping, that's just cooking on vacation. lol When we camp we cook over a fire and sleep in tents. ;) We make tri tip, roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, burgers, hot dogs, for breakfast we cook up scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes. Good stuff. :) In your case, I'd probably make the same type of things to be honest. If you'll have a campfire make some s'mores, we also grill bananas, peel back 1 part of the peel, put some chocolate chips and marshmallows on top, wrap the banana in foil and grill it, just long enough to melt the yummies on top, it's very good. Also, when we make s'mores we use other candy, not just chocolate, we use peanut butter cups or any other candy bar, my favorite is actually Thin Mints. LOL

For your lunches, do hot dogs, or do sandwiches, we like sandwiches while camping, they are easy to make and transport. :)

Before you go, pick up a package of Arrowhead Mills Buttermilk Pancake mix. (your local Wholefoods or other health food store should have it) i

You only need to add water. It makes the best pancakes ever. Just mix it up. Let it sit about 8 minutes until the batter is very thick- don't stir it again, just spoon it onto the griddle. They never fail to please everyone!

I would cook at least dinner outdoors. We like hobo meals. Take a square of heavy duty foil and place a hamburger patty, a sliced potato and a sliced carrot on it. Seal well and cook in hot coals of a fire. YUMMY. We also like to just roast hot dogs over the fire. Take bun, chips baked beans....whatever. Breakfast is easy to do indoors or out over a cooks stove. Bacon taste better when camping! Scrabbled eggs, sausage, biscuits....yummy. If you cook breakfast and dinner, I would go easy for lunch. Sandwiches, fruit, chips, cookies. If you end up only needing one dinner meal, you could grill hot dogs and burgers one day for lunch !

BTW- I only camp in cabins too!!!! All the fun.....much easier. We do like to cook outdoors however!

in a cabin with a full kitchen? lol sorry, that's not camping, that's just cooking on vacation. lol When we camp we cook over a fire and sleep in tents. ;) We make tri tip, roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, burgers, hot dogs, for breakfast we cook up scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes. Good stuff. :) In your case, I'd probably make the same type of things to be honest. If you'll have a campfire make some s'mores, we also grill bananas, peel back 1 part of the peel, put some chocolate chips and marshmallows on top, wrap the banana in foil and grill it, just long enough to melt the yummies on top, it's very good. Also, when we make s'mores we use other candy, not just chocolate, we use peanut butter cups or any other candy bar, my favorite is actually Thin Mints. LOL

For your lunches, do hot dogs, or do sandwiches, we like sandwiches while camping, they are easy to make and transport. :)

I know, I know....this isn't "camping" but its as close to it as I can get my DH to do LOL:rotfl2: I have suggested tent camping before, and was told "have fun" We will be in the wilderness and we are going hiking, so maybe it will feel like camping.

When we use to camp, the night before I would boil a big pot of potatoes and cube them...I would fry some for breakfasts, along with toast, eggs and bacon, and I would whip up a potato salad.

Paula

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter