• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food, Glorious Food !!

Kelly Grannell

DIS Veteran
these are some pictures I took for a restaurant's menu illustrations.

28ef105b.jpg

a55a17a7.jpg

fcec8e2c.jpg

lens: Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS set at f/2.8
camera: Canon 30D with evaluative (matrix) metering
WB: Tungsten
shutter speed: approx 1/40
no additional lighting other than the overhead lightbulb
no additional 'set' other than the table itself
no post processing (JPEG only)

Yum! Makes me hungry! Do you get to eat the food too? ;)

In an advertising photo class (many years ago) we were photographing a chocolate bar but it just didn't look all that appealing. The prof suggested we spray it with a soapy water solution. It looked really good but no one was about to eat it after the session was over!

boB

tee hee, actually yes, I got to eat the food too (except for the ones I had to use clear-coat paint to give better gloss etc).

Kelly,

Also hungry now!!! But two questions:

1) can we ask where this was for? (only out of interest, understand if you can't say)
2) do you always cahnge the WB in-camera or change after?

Still hungry!!!

These pictures were taken for a Japanese restaurant's menu illustration (not to really show the food, but will be used more like a watermark) near my house. I frequent this place so often with my camera, about a week ago they asked me whether I'm a photographer. LOL. The Japanese restaurant strangely called "Japanese Restaurant"; yes, very creative indeed.

The first picture is not actually a Japanese food but (supposedly) Vietnamese. Knowing I'll be there, the cook from their friend's restaurant came in to prepare that dish to be photographed (and several other Vietnamese staples too).

As far as WB goes, if it's not mixed lighting like the situation above, I just use the preset WB and that's it. If it's mixed lighting, I use AWB, if it's crazy mixed lighting, I got no choice but to use my Expodisc. However, for food it makes the picture too cold, so I'll have to apply 85B emulation filter using Photoshop at 25% intensity.

"Japanese Restaurant", very catchy! ;)

Reminds me of a place I ate at near Brampton ON. The waitress brought my soup (no spoon) so I asked for a spoon and she sweetly replied "no spoon, Japanese style".
When the salad arrived I knew better than to ask for a fork. Good thing I am ok enough with chopsticks to at least not starve. ;)

boB

that corner of the plaza is just nuts, the Japanese restaurant is called "Japanese Restaurant", there is a Malaysian Restaurant (it won several awards and all that jazz) called "Restoran" (which means "restaurant" in Malay languange) and between the two places there was a sub sandwich place called (drum roll please....) " THE SUBS"

creative bunch of people flocked together there! LOL

Oh, and there was also a Hong Kong style cafe called "Cafe Hong Kong". Geez.

The strangest thing was my friend's restaurant (now no longer in business). It serves Malaysian food, and the English name for his restaurant was "Asia Hut". That's kinda okay, but the Chinese name for it (written in Chinese, translated by him to me) was "Dragon's Inn", it's a legendary inn/restaurant in China that does NOT serve Malaysian food.

Great Pics. Are they unprocessed,... mostly?

They seem very focused. Too shallow DOF to portray a whole meal. But as background they will be awesome. I can picture the menu or advertisment with the sharp area of the photo poking out at me thru the words or just to the side.

And they do make me hungry.

thanks for sharing
Mikeeee

they are all unprocessed except for levels (moving the histogram right arrow to the left a bit).

Yup, the DOF is deliberately made to be very shallow due to their context (as illustration, not to show what the food looks like)

Now I'm hungry too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter