Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force. A May '13 TR; Updated 02/6

Yay!!! You're back. Your updates have been missed.

I am back, and I missed all of you too! :thumbsup2

I'm so happy to hear about your arrival day! Sounds like everything from your flights, to your ME ride, to the rental car pickup went smoothly. Score! On the front seat. :cool1:

Such a deal on the car! Wow!

Lunch at EoS looked like it hit the spot.

Hooray on the Beach Club pin! :woohoo:

They didn't have one on our last trip, or I think maybe I saw one early in our trip at the Marketplace, but when I finally went to buy one, they were sold out! On our last day, one of the CMs at the Marketplace had a YC pin, so I had Ben trade for it. And there is a happier ending- one of my friends on the FAQ board purchased a Beach Club pin for me, so I have one now!

Looking forward to checking out your room and touring the parks with your fearsome foursome!

Arrival day went ridiculously smoothly, I couldn't have asked for more! That rental car deal made getting a car a no-brainer, I may never top that deal. EVER.

I was so excited to find that BC pin because I had been so bummed when I couldn't find one in October. Now let's all keep our fingers crossed the Yacht Club pins will still be there when we stay there in October. :goodvibes

Just wait until you see our villa, it is incredible!

Thanks for the info on the Magic Bands!

Glad you got some business attended to and got to check out some super cute topiaries.

I'm intrigued to hear about your evening plans!

I was happy to finally see the bands in person after hearing so much about them. Now, if only Disney would release any sort of info about FP+. :rolleyes1

Gosh I love these photos. The magic bands look really neat.

Thanks! The bands seem to be a well-thought-out design, now let's hope the rest of the new system feels that way.

Thanks for posting this magic band photos! Helpful to have a visual review of the process!

You're welcome! Glad to help bring some useful info to all my best Disney friends.

I'm in! I love your reviews. ALL of them!

Awww, thanks! We're glad to have you here. :goodvibes

Some day I have to get to the flower and garden festival, it's so gorgeous!

The RFID bands had me a little worried, (i get irritated by things like that) but thanks for all the info, really clears a lot up! They don't look so bad. Leave it to disney to put that much thought even into the bands.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

The festival is so pretty. Epcot looks incredible with all the colors from the flowers everywhere. Franklin should have some pictures later on in the trip of the Monsters U. topiaries, they were so creative!

I love going to Epcot during the Flower and Garden festival! It's too bad I missed it this year, with the new booths, but maybe next year! :cool1:

Wow, that's so cool that you guys got to try out the Magic Bands! I'm glad you don't have to wear them all the time, I don't really like having things on my wrists, but they actually seem pretty comfy, from the way you described them! :thumbsup2

The festival is such a fun time of year to go. Sadly, with such a short trip, we didn't get to really try much from the kiosks, maybe next year!

My biggest issue with the bands are the tan lines they will cause. Those things take up a lot of real estate on you arm! :lmao:

Subbing in! I was there April 27th to May 3rd. The first half of our week was sunny and nice while the last half was rainy. We made the best of it but your pics of a sunny Epcot look much nicer than my soggy ones!

That stinks that it rained so much on your trip. We really lucked out on this trip, not a drop of rain in five days! The Disney gods were really smiling down on us there. Glad to have you aboard!

I'm in! I look forward to reading your report--thanks for sharing it with us!

I hope you're having a great day! Jennifer

:welcome: Thanks for joining in!

Beautiful F&G pictures! That is one time of the year I have never been to Disney World, but it's on my bucket list. :thumbsup2 Too bad you weren't able to get a passholder pin, but that's pretty cool that you were able to check out the Magic Bands while you were there.

Caught up on all of your TRs! And you were in my city! While I was gone, but still. :laughing: The bands look awesome.

Joining in! My dad and I stayed at BLT in April and loved it. Can't wait to hear what you thought about it! All of your pictures are amazing!

Beautiful F&G pictures! That is one time of the year I have never been to Disney World, but it's on my bucket list. :thumbsup2 Too bad you weren't able to get a passholder pin, but that's pretty cool that you were able to check out the Magic Bands while you were there.

Epcot is just so pretty for the F&G Festival, the colors really pop in the springtime sunshine!

I was shocked about the passholder pin because I haven't had a problem getting a passholder pin at Food and Wine the past few years and that is a much busier festival.

Caught up on all of your TRs! And you were in my city! While I was gone, but still. :laughing: The bands look awesome.

Welcome back! From the looks of your tweets, I think you had a pretty good time. ;) We had a lovely trip to Richmond, great town!

Joining in! My dad and I stayed at BLT in April and loved it. Can't wait to hear what you thought about it! All of your pictures are amazing!

We love BLT (and CR)! I don't quite understand the people who say those resorts aren't "Disney" enough. I mean you can see the castle from practically anywhere in the resort. And the artwork in the BLT villas are amazing, it's all very Disney, but in a subtle and upscale way.

We last left off with Franklin and I running over to Epcot to upgrade our annual passes to RFID passes and were heading back to Bay Lake Tower because our villa was ready!

We were booked in a one-bedroom, lake-view villa at BLT. Let’s take a tour, shall we?

DSC_2192-L.jpg

You come into the villa and see the full kitchen on the right and the dining room table on the left. There is also a big living room with gorgeous picture windows.

DSC_2195-L.jpg

The couch pulls out into a full bed and the chair is a sleeper, as well.

DSC_2198-L.jpg

Next, let’s head into the master bedroom.

DSC_2182-L.jpg

DSC_2183-L.jpg

That pass-through window goes to the master bathroom.

DSC_2184-L.jpg

DSC_2186-L.jpg

There’s a jacuzzi tub and a stand-up shower.

DSC_2187-L.jpg

One of the great things about BLT is the second bathroom in the one-bedroom.

DSC_2190-L.jpg

And I’ve saved the best part of the tour for last. Remember when I said this was a lake-view villa? Well, we had a beautiful view of the lake on the right.

DSC_2209-L.jpg

But it was kind of difficult to focus on the lake when you saw THIS when you looked to the left.

DSC_2206-2-L.jpg

That’s right, we lucked into one of those magical lake-view villas that had a full view of Magic Kingdom. They can’t classify them as theme park view because you don’t see it when you look straight out from the balcony. I, however, was perfectly fine turning my head ever so slightly to the left to stare at my castle. Sigh, that was a truly happy sight.

Magical Express had already dropped off our luggage, and Bell Services quickly brought up the rest of our bags and groceries. We couldn’t hang around long, because we had a very important ADR to get to: 'Ohana.

We drove over to the Polynesian, so we’d have the car to get to DHS after dinner.

Those of you who have read our past TRs, you already know that 'Ohana is one of our must-do restaurants. I know the restaurant gets mixed reviews on the Dis. But we have never had a bad experience there. And since we typically do late dinners there, it’s always a little jarring to see the Poly in the daylight.

DSC_2210-L.jpg

DSC_2211-L.jpg

DSC_2213-L.jpg

We checked in and were seated in less than 10 minutes, which might be a new record for ‘Ohana.

DSC_2214-L.jpg

DSC_2215-L.jpg

Gotta love the empty quiet of the first seating.

DSC_2218-L.jpg

The salad came quickly after we were seated with two loaves of the pineapple coconut bread. And with it came a recommendation to our 'Ohana newbies not to fill up too much on the yummy bread and salad because there was still tons of food still ahead.

DSC_2221-L.jpg

Next, came my favorite course: the potstickers and wings!

DSC_2222-L.jpg

Then came the noodles, veggies and meats.

DSC_2223-L.jpg

The steak was a little dry this time, so I ended up eating more of the pork and chicken.

Some of you may know that I have Crohn’s Disease and because of that, I can’t eat a ton of fruits and vegetables. I love the noodles at 'Ohana, but I always spend so much time picking the noodles out that the noodles are cold by the time I can eat them. I’ve always heard how great 'Ohana is for people with allergies, so I explained my situation to the waitress and asked if there was any way to get noodles without veggies and she went to the kitchen and came back out with a big bowl of them! I was so freaking happy.

We were all so full, but there was no way we were going to pass up the bread pudding.

DSC_2224-L.jpg

The bread pudding was as out of this world as ever. I was worried about 'Ohana living up to the reputation Franklin and I had built up to Laura and Meghan. But it turns out, those worries are unfounded, they absolutely loved the meal and were happy and full as we left!

Dinner was but only the appetizer to our evening. You see, the date was May 4th, and in the Star Wars world, that date was rendered May the Fourth Be With You. And as part of Disney’s Limited Time Magic promotion, they were throwing a huge Star Wars party at DHS. And that’s where we’ll be heading in the next chapter. Trust me, you’re not going to want to miss this.

Can't wait to see your May the Fourth be with You photos!
My last 2 trips to Ohana were disappointing. Prior to that, it was one of my can't miss places as well. But the last 2 times, the steak was just not done. I don't mean rare, not done! And the steak was always my favorite. We have it on our schedule to do with the boys trip, but I am a little worried. Hopefully, I won't be disappointed again.

The room at BLT just gorgeous, and that VIEW!!! Oh my gosh, how lucky! Can't beat getting a lake view AND a theme park view!

I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner at 'Ohana. We have only ever done breakfast but I listened to a dinner review on the DIS Unplugged, and they were not kind. I'm happy you didn't have the same experience. :thumbsup2 That bread pudding looks phenomenal!

Hi Missy and Franklin :wave:

Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your trip reports and to echo everyone else and compliment Franklin on his wonderful photography skills! Love, love, :love: his pictures!

I enjoyed seeing the inside of BLT because that is one Disney Hotel that has never been of interest to me but after seeing your room, I think I'll put it on my list to try. You had asked for an even #'d room. Are those the ones that have a view of MK?

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Linda

You guys do not mess around! Great, busy start to your trip!

The villa is AWESOME!!! I can't believe how big it is. Um, the view is ok too!

:cool1::cheer2::woohoo:

Once again, you make a pretty persuasive case for 'Ohana. We'll try it again someday. Not sure exactly when, though.

Wow, and your night ain't over yet! Can't wait to see what is happening over at HS.

Great pics around Epcot.
The room and view are fantastic.
Ooh my favorite thing is coming up, Star Wars.
All caught up.

I actually just recommended that exact camera to a friend of ours. I'm glad you got that, over the NEX 3. The NEX 5r has a faster focusing system. The NEX line is also great for those starting to get into photography. You can set the exposure manually and have the ability to change lenses. But the main draw, is that it has a bigger sensor, like those in a consumer DSLR. That translates into better image quality and much better low light photos.

These are also known as Mirrorless cameras. Where as, the camera I'm currently using has a mirror in it. The main benefit for cameras, like the NEX5r, is that it is a much smaller package. Our friend just has a baby, and a larger camera system would have been out of the question, on top of the diaper bag, toys and bottles.

The best camera is the one you have with you. What would be the point if they bought the bigger camera and didn't bring it anywhere, because it was to cumbersome?

Thanks for the info. I'm really excited to start playing with it, just waiting for work to calm down a bit so I can really devote some time to it, Do you know if filters can be used with this type of camera? Do they just go on the end of the lens?

I loved your photos of BLT and reading about Ohana. I know I said it before on one of your other TRs you have going right now, but you have inspired me to make sure I get to Ohana on my next trip to WDW, whenever that is. I could eat potstickers for the whole meal. And the coconut pineapple bread sounds amazing, too!

Can't wait for the Star Wars installment of this TR :ewok:

I adore the rooms at Bay Lake Villa. They are all so beautiful! Plus, you have that wonderful Magic Kingdom view! If I ever stay deluxe I think in will in BLT! Anywhoo, looking forward to following along on another TR. I don't now how I'll keep them all straight in my head!

Oh my gosh your villa was GORGEOUS!!! And that VIEW!!! Why do I now was bread pudding for breakfast? I'm totally blaming this on you. :rotfl:

I'm here! I'm here! Reading all your trip reports at one time!! Not sure how you keep them straight!

Just wanted to drop in and say, "OH MY GOSH, FRANKLIN, YOUR PICTURES ARE FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!" I just want to sit down with him and have him explain the exposure and post-processing for every. Single. Shot!!!

Yay! You got one of the lake views that's not a lake view! We had that one year too, we completely lucked out.

That's awesome that they were able to accommodate you by making the noodles without the veggies. :thumbsup2

Your villa looks amazing! And that really is quite the view!

Yum! Dinner looks delicious. I can't wait to try it in 183 days!! :)

Can't wait to read about the Star Wars party!

Wow! What a gorgeous view!! I love the decor in Bay Lake Towers, especially the art work.
Can't wait for your May the 4th report!popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter