Food equivalents

Hamburger does not have sand in it. There is a food coloring in it that makes it look red and not its grayish/brown color but that is it. Also. please do not go to Long John Silvers expecting great fish. That would be like saying McDonalds is a steak house.:rotfl: If you go to Epcot they have some great fish n chips at a lil stand in Britain.

I ordered a Sunkist at a diner in Vegas and was given OJ mixed with Sprite. They do have Sunkist in the US so I'm not sure what got lost in translation there, I just wanted a Fanta-like beverage.

Not a fan of funnel cakes or biscuits. Oh and their hash browns are different too, they remind me of a rosti. When I was studying at North Carolina State, I saw hash browns on the breakfast menu and got so excited. Imagine my disappointment when I saw a tray of grated fried potato.

Pumpkin is used more for dessert than savoury dishes.

Sometimes they'll put fruit salad on their dinner plate.

A lot of their cereals are covered in sugar.

They seem to call a lot of products by their brand name rather than a general product name, ie. Kleenex for tissues. My best friend in Atlanta calls any soft drink Coke, she said that was normal.

Already mentioned I think but sometimes they'll call a burger a sandwich, like at Chick-fil-A.

Oh and don't bother trying grits, yuck.

That's weird. I guess it depends on where you are. I know what Sunkist is and wouldn't get it confused with anything else. You could easily buy some from a grocery store in Florida as some will surely have it. Also, I find it a bit unusual that you said quite a few Americans use "Coke" to refer to all soft drinks. I always tell the server the exact name.

I ordered a Sunkist at a diner in Vegas and was given OJ mixed with Sprite. They do have Sunkist in the US so I'm not sure what got lost in translation there, I just wanted a Fanta-like beverage.

Not a fan of funnel cakes or biscuits. Oh and their hash browns are different too, they remind me of a rosti. When I was studying at North Carolina State, I saw hash browns on the breakfast menu and got so excited. Imagine my disappointment when I saw a tray of grated fried potato.

Pumpkin is used more for dessert than savoury dishes.

Sometimes they'll put fruit salad on their dinner plate.

A lot of their cereals are covered in sugar.

They seem to call a lot of products by their brand name rather than a general product name, ie. Kleenex for tissues. My best friend in Atlanta calls any soft drink Coke, she said that was normal.

Already mentioned I think but sometimes they'll call a burger a sandwich, like at Chick-fil-A.

Oh and don't bother trying grits, yuck.

I love American bacon too. And lemonade :goodvibes And I really enjoyed their hot chocolate as well! Can't wait to get those things again in a couple of weeks.

I've been unsure on a few things you often see flying around the general forums.

Sliders?
Tri-tip?
Funnel cake?
Jambalaya?

There was something else that PIO told me basically means steamed dumplings, can't remember what the term was, but I'll know when I see it :confused3

I'll have to start taking notice of these things and making a list so I know what I'm ordering when I'm there :rotfl:

Sliders was originally only used to describe White Castle hamburgers but the term has come to mean any small burger.

Tri-Tip is a cut of steak I had when I went to Disneyland in California. I do believe it is a west coast thing.

You got a fairly good description of funnel cake

And Jambalaya is a stew like dish from southern United States mostly that originated around New Orleans due to it's rich Creole heritage. :cool1:

That's weird. I guess it depends on where you are. I know what Sunkist is and wouldn't get it confused with anything else. You could easily buy some from a grocery store in Florida as some will surely have it. Also, I find it a bit unusual that you said quite a few Americans use "Coke" to refer to all soft drinks. I always tell the server the exact name.

That's a very regional thing. Calling all soft drinks "Coke" is common in parts of the South (probably since Coca-Cola is HQ'd in Atlanta). On the East Coast, it's soda. Here in the Midwest, we call it pop.

And whoever got laughed at in the pharmacy for tissues... those workers were very sheltered. I think most Americans know tissues are the generic name for Kleenex (if you buy an off brand, the package says "facial tissue"). Now, tissue paper is different - a lightweight type of gift wrap. Not sure if there's an equivalent or if it's the same name in Australia.

Very interesting thread!

Now, tissue paper is different - a lightweight type of gift wrap. Not sure if there's an equivalent or if it's the same name in Australia.

Very interesting thread!

Yeah, we have tissue paper here too, in the same way you described, gift wrap or even something you scrunch up and fill a gift basket or gift bag with.

I made the "Sprite/Lemonade" mistake at Portobello at Down Town Disney.

I LOVE grape flavoured things and kept seeing grape vodka at bars, so decided I wanted to try it, and being a flavoured vodka and my hatred of soda water (what is that called in the states BTW?) I figured lemonade would be the best mixer, so I asked the lady at the bar for grape vodka with lemonade. She replied with "oh that's a different combination, ill have to try that one"
Confused, I asked her what she would normally mix with it to which she replied "Sprite"
I must have scared her when I shouted "No no!! I meant sprite not lemonade!" and then she tried to convince me that it might be a taste sensation to have lemonade and grape vodka... the sprite was delicious with it.
This was less than a week into our trip.

then towards the end of the trip, probably with 5 days to go (22 night trip) we were in NYC and I was craving raspberry lemonade... do you think I could convey what I wanted? I tried all the alternatives "raspberry soda" "Raspberry soft drink" "Raspberry pop" nope... none of them worked... I ended up with coke. lol.

Yeah, we have tissue paper here too, in the same way you described, gift wrap or even something you scrunch up and fill a gift basket or gift bag with. I made the "Sprite/Lemonade" mistake at Portobello at Down Town Disney. I LOVE grape flavoured things and kept seeing grape vodka at bars, so decided I wanted to try it, and being a flavoured vodka and my hatred of soda water (what is that called in the states BTW?) I figured lemonade would be the best mixer, so I asked the lady at the bar for grape vodka with lemonade. She replied with "oh that's a different combination, ill have to try that one" Confused, I asked her what she would normally mix with it to which she replied "Sprite" I must have scared her when I shouted "No no!! I meant sprite not lemonade!" and then she tried to convince me that it might be a taste sensation to have lemonade and grape vodka... the sprite was delicious with it. This was less than a week into our trip. then towards the end of the trip, probably with 5 days to go (22 night trip) we were in NYC and I was craving raspberry lemonade... do you think I could convey what I wanted? I tried all the alternatives "raspberry soda" "Raspberry soft drink" "Raspberry pop" nope... none of them worked... I ended up with coke. lol.

I think grape vodka and lemonade would be a great combination, although not what you were going for! :)

I've found soda water to be regional as well. I'm from the East Coast USA and refer to soda water as seltzer. However, the first time I tried to order seltzer at Disney, the waitress had no idea what I was talking about.

I had a laugh reading all these... we'll get it wrong loads I'm sure!

If anyone knows- our kids often like porridge for breakfast. Made with rolled oats or 'quick' oats and milk (but they will eat it made with water and milk added). Is oatmeal exactly the same?? I've seen oatmeal on lots of breakfast menus.

I had a laugh reading all these... we'll get it wrong loads I'm sure!

If anyone knows- our kids often like porridge for breakfast. Made with rolled oats or 'quick' oats and milk (but they will eat it made with water and milk added). Is oatmeal exactly the same?? I've seen oatmeal on lots of breakfast menus.

Yes, I'd say you'd be safe ordering oatmeal, but you may have to specifically request it to be made with milk if they would prefer it that way.

I'm enjoying reading these too. Although I'm from the US, my sister has spent quite a deal of time in Australia, so I will have to share this thread with her the next time I see her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter