FOOD AND WINE- not so fun

We spent the greater part of last week at the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. There were people having a good time, but I didn't see anyone that was drunk.

We had a wonderful time and met some very nice people.:thumbsup2

Was just there tonight (Saturday 10/10). Pushing, shoving, yelling, you name it, drunk rude people everywhere. I am 26 years old and like to have fun as much as the next person but I left wondering what in the world is wrong with people and why can't we all just respect each other?!?!

We are in our mid twenties and we had the same experience when we went to F&W thisyear. I understand it is a food AND WINE festival, but I have never seen so many drunk people at WDW. I don't have kids, but I would be uncomfortable bringing children into the atmosphere that I experienced. It felt like an expensive college frat party only many of the drunk people were older than the usual college demographic. I know people are there to havea good time, but there are ways to do this without being drunk and rude.

This thread has been a real eye opener. I was not aware there are times when you cannot bring children into certain parts of Disney World.

Has our society gone down hill or what?

We had a fantastic time at F&W last year on a Thursday with our 2 kids (ages 8 & 10). No "bad behavior" to speak of and a wonderful day of food sampling (my youngest tried sushi for the first time and loved it), fun culinary demos, a lovely little David Sanborn concert (my older son is a huge fan now) and yes, a cocktail or 2 for mom & dad. I would not say that you cannot/should not bring kids to F&W at Epcot.
That being said, note that I said that we were there on a Thursday (including into the evening). When I take my kids to a Bar & Grill restaurant (like Applebee's) on a Friday/Saturday, I know that the atmosphere will probably be different than on a Thursday (note BAR in Bar & Grill). Likewise, I would come to the same conclusion with the Food & Wine Festival (note WINE in Food & Wine).
DH & I are headed down this week and will attend F&W on Friday (note, no kids in tow). :hug:

Love the Food & Wine Festival!
Usually attend 2 weekends during the last 9 years and the drunks are very much in the minority.

I love getting tipsy at Epcot and not having to worry about driving home. My 65 year old mother had a little too much champagne last year and giggled for an hour.

At no time are we rude, pushy or running into kids and fail to see how my drinking could possibly impact the enjoyment of the park for other guests.

It is NOT like I intend to get drunk - but it is very hard to know just how much alcohol is in each drink.

Love the Food & Wine Festival!
Usually attend 2 weekends during the last 9 years and the drunks are very much in the minority.

I love getting tipsy at Epcot and not having to worry about driving home. My 65 year old mother had a little too much champagne last year and giggled for an hour.

At no time are we rude, pushy or running into kids and fail to see how my drinking could possibly impact the enjoyment of the park for other guests.

It is NOT like I intend to get drunk - but it is very hard to know just how much alcohol is in each drink.

When some people drink too much, they are happy drunks or quiet drunks. I wouldn't think that these are the drunk people who cause problems at F&W. I don't see problems with people who are a little tipsy as long as they are considerate of others and their surroundings. It would be asking for trouble to go to a Food & Wine Festival and be shocked at people drinking alcohol. However, some people like to drink to use it as an excuse to get belligerent, loud, and mean.

For those who seem to think that it's too expensive to get drunk at Epcot, I suspect that a lot of the drunks came to F&W at least a little buzzed already from bars offsite or drinks in the room.

I just spent my honeymoon in Disney in May, and DH and I enjoyed the fact that both of us could have drinks and not have to worry about driving back to a hotel. At least think of that, most of these people can probably just catch a bus back to their resort, on or off property.

With that said, as long as they aren't driving, they really aren't hurting anyone. They're just enjoying their vacation, and if this is just happening on Saturday nights, one night out of the whole week, then it might be something people just have to 'get over' and deal with. At least it isn't happening all day long, 7 days a week. Let the rowdy people have their fun too :) just avoid it that night.

If they are pushing and shoving, they are hurting someone. No one has a right to put their hands on another person... being drunk is not an excuse. Sorry but I don't buy that. :goodvibes

I've been pushed and shoved by people just trying to get ahead of me in line on a regular park day. Its not something reserved for the drunks at F&W.

Where exactly did the OP say that her mom was offended by drinking in any form? :confused3 Whether one is a Christian or a non-believer, there's a difference between being offended by drinking and being offended by drunks. Actually, vile language in public is just as offensive to me as a stumbling, obnoxious drunk.

and I think that was part of the OP's point.. being drunk and cursing...
You are correct, OP never did mention they were offended by the drinking. It was all here who read it incorrectly :goodvibes. OP commented about the food being good except for PR's which they felt was frozen... and also commented on crying kids.. yeah, I know exactly what she is saying. There are more kids that cry at night in the theme parks than during the day. That is because their insensitive parents insist on keeping them out when they are completely tired and worn out.. again.. something that can be avoided if parents picked up clues from their kids... instead of insisting that their kids stay out till what ever time because they are at Disney :idea:

when we go during F&W, it's on our EP weekday mornings (or after we've been to HS during early hours for 2 hours, we'll walk over) when the WS first opens, we stay for 2-3 hours, then call it "a day" - no more weekend days/nights, have seen the crowds of drunks increase yearly

There are more kids that cry at night in the theme parks than during the day. That is because their insensitive parents insist on keeping them out when they are completely tired and worn out.. again.. something that can be avoided if parents picked up clues from their kids... instead of insisting that their kids stay out till what ever time because they are at Disney :idea:

I notice you don't have any children... But they cry for MANY different reasons than just being "tired and worn out." Disney is a place chock full of brand new things that many children have never seen before, and sometimes it can be very overwhelming. Kids sometimes cry simply because they are overstimulated, and I'm actually pretty offended that you would lump all parents with crying kids into the same group and call us "insensitive." I would NEVER ignore the needs of my child, just because I wanted to stay at the parks later.

I notice you don't have any children... But they cry for MANY different reasons than just being "tired and worn out." Disney is a place chock full of brand new things that many children have never seen before, and sometimes it can be very overwhelming. Kids sometimes cry simply because they are overstimulated, and I'm actually pretty offended that you would lump all parents with crying kids into the same group and call us "insensitive." I would NEVER ignore the needs of my child, just because I wanted to stay at the parks later.

DisneyWonder:cool1: I don't think I could have said it any better. As a mother of 2 boys ages 3 & 9 My DH and I agree 100% with you. :goodvibes

I have been going to the FWF since 1997. I am now a local (and have been for several years) and go on the weekends.

I have yet to see anyone (other than one child) throw up in EPCOT or any park. I have seen some people, clearly under the influence of too much alcohol at EPCOT, but it was not during FWF and they were wearing funny hats and veils that proclaimed they were soon to be married, or something along those lines. Once in awhile I've seen a random couple who have had enough to drink that they are swaying or struggling to walk a straight line, but again, not during FWF. I've seen any number of inebriated people on NYE at EPCOT. ::yes::

The weekends are crowded. ::yes:: Loads of local folk, and by that I don't mean just Orange county, but Floridians who can make a day trip or a weekend. Also, there are loads of people who live in nearby states who fly down for a long weekend, or drive in. It is a popular event.

I am not Christian so won't comment on that part other than to say when I hear someone declare they are Christian it makes my blood run cold and the hairs stand up on my arms and neck.

If you want to enjoy the FWF with the greatest chance of not being inundated with long lines and loads of people, go during weekdays and or evenings. That is the same for nearly any sort of event like SWW, MNSSHP, IFGS, etc. Anything that carries over a weekend, or includes a weekend will see a higher attendance over the weekend days and nights.

I do have to say this though, it's kind of funny, ok a LOT funny to read a thread that bemoans the hypersexuality of some guests at WDW (the hootchie mama, Bourbon St. comments, among others) without it involving Gay Days!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I've certainly seen some people at F & W who have indulged a bit too much, but I've never witnessed throwing up, pushing or shoving. I have witnessed all of that in the Magic Kingdom, however.

DisneyWonder:cool1: I don't think I could have said it any better. As a mother of 2 boys ages 3 & 9 My DH and I agree 100% with you. :goodvibes

Thank you! I have only been a mother for a relatively short time (19 months), but I have quickly learned how totally annoying it is when people pass judgment on your parenting skills! Especially when they don't have any children of their own. You can babysit all you want, but until you are a full-time parent, you don't really understand how children "work."

We were at the Food & Wine Festival last year. I didn't notice any out of control drunks. I did notice that the weekend was much busier than during the week. Next time we attend the F & W we'll make sure we are there during the week.

I don't have kids either. BAck in 2005, DH and I were on our honeymoon and enjoying EMH at Epcot. While exiting HISTA we passed a family. Mom was walking hand-in-hand with her DD (about 3-4). Little girl was weeping. Poor thing looks at Mom and says "But mommy PLEASE. I'm soooo tired." To which mother-of-the-year replies "Now honey. Part of learning how to be an adult, is learning how to stay up late."

Oh yeah...we JUDGED that mom.:mad:

I don't have kids either. BAck in 2005, DH and I were on our honeymoon and enjoying EMH at Epcot. While exiting HISTA we passed a family. Mom was walking hand-in-hand with her DD (about 3-4). Little girl was weeping. Poor thing looks at Mom and says "But mommy PLEASE. I'm soooo tired." To which mother-of-the-year replies "Now honey. Part of learning how to be an adult, is learning how to stay up late."

Oh yeah...we JUDGED that mom.:mad:

Just because one parent does something dumb, doesn't mean we all do. It was the generalization that I think some took offense too. Kids cry for lots of reasons, not just because their parents are "insensitive". Quoted word taken directly from PP's post.

Just because one parent does something dumb, doesn't mean we all do. It was the generalization that I think some took offense too. Kids cry for lots of reasons, not just because their parents are "insensitive". Quoted word taken directly from PP's post.

I guarantee all parents do something dumb at some point. Then again, so do I, so it all evens out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter