Food and Wine Hits and Misses

We went this year for the first time and had a ball. Of course, we were without our kids (much to their chagrin), so that made it easier to hang out and not get in a hurry. Enjoyed the following:

PUERTO RICO - fried plantains were great (maybe because this was the first thing we hit and we were starving, but it was an easy-to-eat snack to get things started)

BRAZIL- I loved the pork belly....my wife wasn't such a fan. We both loved the cheese bread (the only thing we doubled up on the whole weekend).

MEXICO - sweet corn cheesecake was a favorite of the whole weekend. Very unique and tasty. Shrimp taco also beat out the ribeye taco by a mile. Ribeye taco was just diced beef without any particular unique flavor. Shrimp option was lighter and quite good.

CHINA - we went a little nuts here and got the Mongolian beef, duck and the chicken potstickers. Really interested in the beef and duck due to the weird little steamed buns, which was a new thing for us, but very good.

GERMANY - bratwurst in pretzel was good but not particularly memorable. The nudel/gratin was pretty great. Wife thought it was too rich, but left more for me. Very similar in taste to the mac and cheese in Biergarten (which we generally love).

POLAND - winner, winner, chicken dinner! The kielbasa and potato pierogie was easily on our short list of favorites....and the frozen apple pie drink was also a nice addition...think frozen alcoholic applesauce (in a good way).

ITALY - got the ravioli, and it was, well, ravioli. Nothing special....good but not unique enough for me at something like this.

HOPS AND BARLEY - pimento cheese slider was good, as was the lobster alfredo.

FARM FRESH - interesting review here. Had heard about how awesome the pepper bacon hash was, so wanted to try it (although wife questioned me). It was fine but not incredible. If I got it in a restaurant, I would enjoy it, but not the absolute best thing I ate, as I had built it up to be based on other reviews.

JAPAN - teriyaki gyoza bun....meh.

NEW ZEALAND - lamb meatball and venison sausage. Wife is not particularly into exotic meats, so I got to eat both of these and loved every bite of both. Meatball is served in a little bread bowl, which was neat. Sausage is served with cold pickled mushrooms and arugula. Sounds weird, but was really good.

BELGIUM - waffle with braised beef was really good and on the wife's short list of favorites (although meat like that could have been a bit more tender).

FRANCE - one of our favorites. Wife loves the boeuf bourguignon inside Les Chefs de France, and this was basically the same thing but with mashed potatoes instead of pasta. I had the escargot tart and could have eaten several. (Of course, escargot usually just tastes like whatever it's cooked with, so if you like bacon, parmesan, garlic and spinach, you'll like this!) The mushroom gratin was also really good. Wife is not a mushroom fan, but even she liked it. We regrettably skipped the crème brulee, but I wanted a pumpkin macaron ice cream sandwich from the ice cream shop in France and couldn't justify both (in a rare moment of self-control!)

GREECE - I loved the griddled cheese with pistachios and honey. Wife thought it should have been melted more. She also got the tzatziki martini, which was surprisingly refreshing. I love a good gyro and was expecting a thick sludge of tzatziki drink, but it was nothing like that. Much more cucumber coming through than "sauce," and we both liked it quite a bit.

REFRESHMENT PORT - we got a cronut and loved it, but as something you can get anytime, year-round, I might skip it next year and focus on more country-specific food. Also got the liquored-up Dole Whip, which was pretty disappointing, at least for the price.

HAWAII - pork slider was good, although bottom bun was soaked through and pretty soggy. Dude standing near me also said the tuna poke was really good.

SCOTLAND - scallop and smoked salmon were both just OK.

I've hit F&W twice this year with two more trips to go.

Belgium
Belgium Waffle with the Berries - My favorite thing at the festival. Btw, I saw someone get chocolate drizzled on top of the whipped cream. Think I might try it that way next time.

Canada
Cheddar Cheese Soup - Good. Obviously the same as Le Cellier's.
Filet - Mine was overcooked so I was very disappointed. Waste of $7.

France
Gratin - Very good, especially for someone who loves mushrooms.
Beef - I enjoyed this as well, but it wasn't omg amazing.
Sea Salt Caramel Creme Brulee - Good. The sugar was nice and hard which I love.
Pomegranate Kir - Meh.

Germany
Riesling Flight - Wished I could review them all, but spilled the sweetest one before I could taste it. I did enjoy the dry Riesling the best.

Hops & Barley
Lobster Alfredo - Not a lobster fan, but regardless it was an underwhelming dish.

Ireland
Fisherman's Pie - Always a favorite during the festival.

Italy
Ravioli - Awful.
Chicken - Was served cold.

Poland
Sauerkraut Pierogi - It was okay, though I'm not a huge sauerkraut person.

Scotland
Scallop with the Spinach Gratin - Definitely a favorite for me this year.

If I had to rank my top 3 I'd go with
1-Belgium Waffle w/ the Berries in Belgium
2-Scallop w/ the Spinach Gratin in Scotland
3-Gratin in France

My favorite: mushroom beef filet in Canada.

Liked the ravioli and cannoli in Italy.

Little disappointed in the croissant donut, didn't think it lived up to the hype.

Did not like beef slider in America, too much cheese.

Did not like beef slider in America, too much cheese.

We can no longer be friends (just pretend we knew each other and were friends...otherwise, this won't make any sense at all). In my mind, it is impossible to have too much pimento cheese. That's why F&W has forks and spoons available...or the ever-popular and simple plate-licking option.

Seriously, I have heard mixed reviews on this item, now on both ends of the cheese spectrum, whether "virtually none" or "too much." Sounds like the people working the booth need some training in consistent portions. Ours was great, but then again, they could have floated this little burger in a tray full of pimento cheese, and I would have been even happier.

Such a cool thread!

I didn't get to try anywhere near the amount of things I had hoped, but I did try a few.

China - Shrimp and noodles: This was pretty good. Not amazing, but definitely decent.

Poland - Sauerkraut Pierogi: I liked this. It wasn't even something I was going to try but then decided to, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Belgium - Waffle with chocolate: Mine was hot and amazing.

Canada - Mushroom Filet: I loved this, though I didn't eat it all b/c they must have corrected their cooking method and it wasn't cooked anywhere near what I prefer. BUT it was still amazing.

Hits:
Austrailaia Lamb chop though I have noticed that as the festival continues into later dates the meat part is getting skimpier and the fat larger :sad1:

BrazilPork Belly Though I did get it without black beans (yeah I'm weird about beans) I did think though if it didn't have the pico it would have just tasted like undercooked bacon

CanadaCheese Soup The soup has gotten a nice peppery kick to it this year but if I'm honest I'll love the cheese soup always.

Craft BeerPimento Cheese & Pinwheels, Beer Flight 1 The pimento cheese may be too spicy but usually the CM's are willing to give you extra crackers. The pinwheels are comparable to the tabouleh pinwheels. The only beer that I didn't enjoy in flight 1 was Spoetzl Brewery, Wild Hare Pale Ale as it was too hoppy for me

Farm FreshPepper Bacon Hash & Florida Cracker Belgian Style White Ale If it were legal I might consider marrying the hash just be warned it can be extremely filling. Also the White Cracker Ale has the perfect balance of beer and citrus

FranceBeer, Kronenbourg Blanc 1664 Again perfect blend of beer and citrus fits perfect with the warmer weather

GermanyBerliner This was a surprise as I thought it would just OK but it was so good the doughnut was nice a light and the apricot jam did not overpower

HawaiiTuna Poke I love sushi so this was a given

Hops & BarleyCheese Plate& Leinenkugel’s Seasonal Shandy This was a home run for me but I love more artisan cheeses if you are a fan of the plainer cheeses you may not like it. 3rd time for a beer being the right amount of citrus and beer

IrelandWarm Chocolate Pudding I always love this little dessert and for being a small package it packs quite the whallop in the richness category

JapanSpicy Hand Roll Again my love for sushi makes me jaded

South KoreaKimchi Lettuce Wrapthis had the right amount of flavor and spicy but warning it can be quite messy

Good
Sauerkraut pierogi with pork goulash from Poland

Steamed green lip mussels with garlic butter and toasted bread crumbs from New Zealand (needed less bread crumbs)

Shrimp taco — Fried shrimp, pickled habanero pepper and onions on a flour tortilla-Mexico

Tartelette aux escargots — Escargot tart with garlic, spinach, bacon and parmesan from France I LOVED the previous escargot but the new crust is NOT good so I end up taking a spoon to it and just eating the middle

Griddled “yard bird” with braised greens and house-made habanero sauce from Farm Fresh if it weren't for the crispy skin it would have fallen to miss

Scottish Scallop

Grilled Beef Skewer from Patagonia- I prefer my beef rare and this was chewier and more cooked than I would have liked

Canada Filet- Again just from how I like my meat cooked, but it still was good and the flavors were all great

Misses:
ChinaBeijing roasted duck in a steamed bun with hoisin sauce The bun had hard parts the duck wasn't crispy enough and the amount of hoisin was overpowering any other favor. this was a disappointment as I love duck and was really excited to try this

ItalyChicken MarsalaI was so happy that Italy finally offered something that I thought would be worth the money and didn't have ricotta cheese. This was just BLAND it had zero flavor

Puerto RicoCaribbean Conch Salad The conch was extremely chewy (and I've had plenty of raw conch before) and the hot rice just didn't mix with the cold components well at all plus all the juices leaked out of the cone before my second bite so 90% of the flavor was gone

And I only have 7 more booths before I've had something at every booth!!! :cheer2: Going to try and complete that this weekend or at least get 3-4 done

Best things we tried this week

Pork belly from Brazil
Rib eye and shrimp taco from Mexico
FlanCocho from Puerto Rico

Worse things we tried this week

Bacon Hash from Farm Fresh
Chicken Marsala from Italy
Cheese bread from Brazil

Everything else we tried was just eh nothing special, not the greatest but not the worst

We've been twice so far.. and I personally may or may not have eaten at least 5 Mongolian Beef buns from China.. ;) I'm also attempting to recreate the Sriracha mayo but it isn't happening so far.

Anyway..
Best thing ever -
Mongolian Beef from China
Pasta Gratin from France - this was really rich and a little oily, but really good.

Good but not great -
Scallop from Scotland. I actually really liked the spinach though.
Cheese bread from Brazil - the more I ate of this, the better I liked it. DH couldn't get over the texture.

Meh -
Kielbasa pierogi from Poland - Not a whole lot of flavor
Pork Belly from Brazil - I really wanted to like this, but it wasn't as crispy as it should have been.

We went to Disney 2 weeks ago, with our major focus being the F&W festival. We passed through F&W on our first day but just snacked at Canada; we'd been traveling since 4am, checked into BWV and headed into Epcot, grabbed a bite on our way to a 3pm FP+ for Soarin', then went back to the hotel for naps as we had ADRs for the tequila tasting in Mexico at 10:20 that evening. I was not impressed with the filet- it was overcooked and somewhat flavorless- although the mushrooms were pretty good. DD liked her soup and DH raved about the trout… and then we were on the run for our FP+. It's OK, we were dedicating our entire last day to the food and wine festival. Unfortunately, I was up at 2am on F&W day, courtesy of a stomach virus. DD and DH went to the Festival, I stayed in bed :sick:. I missed it all!! Sigh… I love this thread and will keep living vicariously through all of you, so keep posting, and I'll keep reading… and feeling jealous and a tad sad :worried:

I'm also attempting to recreate the Sriracha mayo but it isn't happening so far.
This is pretty common sauce for French Fries in Belguim, although I have not tasted the one in Epcot yet - I will be now that I saaw your comment on the sauce.
Anyway, I make it all the time at home and put it on anything I would usually have mayo on.
Here is a link to one that is basically what I use ( I leave out the soy sauce - but may try that now)
http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/creamy-chili-hot-sauce-sriracha-mayo-french-fries/

Pork Belly from Brazil - I really wanted to like this, but it wasn't as crispy as it should have been.
The whole point is Crispy :( - of course it may just depend on how busy it is the day you go

Best things we tried this week Pork belly from Brazil Rib eye and shrimp taco from Mexico FlanCocho from Puerto Rico Worse things we tried this week Bacon Hash from Farm Fresh Chicken Marsala from Italy Cheese bread from Brazil Everything else we tried was just eh nothing special, not the greatest but not the worst

So funny that 2 of your worsts were some of our favs! The cheese bread and the bacon hash!

First day, first round

Hits were Ireland warm choco pudding (tiny but great) and France sea salt creme brûlée

Ok were Hawaii pork slider it was so small and I mostly tasted bun

Miss was the crispy pork belly which was bland and dry.

Funny how even at F&W, seems like the prep is somewhat inconsistent--not just differences in individual tastes, because....

Brazil:
We (myself and DS10, my F&W buddy :) )thought the park belly was good, but actually got seconds on the Tilapia with coconut curry. Yum!!

China:
Was very surprised that the weird shiny bun was not sticky but like bread (but no dry places). My duck was yummy crispy with just a bit of Hoisin.

Argentina:
The tacos were just okay, but the corn cheesecake was the unexpected surprise!! So, SO good!!

Hawaii:
DD13 (who's crazy picky) only ate the slider (with no mayo or pineapple) at last F&W. This year, she had 3 ;). But still wouldn't try anything else.

Belgium:
I thought the beer braised beef on the potato leek waffle was fantastic. DS was totally turned off by the looks though LOL!
My absolute fave was the Stella cider. WOW it's good. I have GOT to get to Publix this week to see if they have it!

We really didn't have any mehs (besides the fish tacos--oh, and the black pepper shrimp in China). We skipped anything we'd had last time (except the sliders). Wish we'd had another day for a few more offerings (and a few more ciders!)

We were there from 10/11 - 10/14

Hits
Scallop from Scotland - perfectly cooked and loved that rich, creamy spinach and bacon gratin
Pork belly from Brazil - crispy goodness on the outside, tender on the inside
Wheat pasta gratin from France - Didn't originally intend to try this, but did on the recommendation of others. I expected it be dry, but it was rich, creamy and packed with delicious mushrooms. The tiny, "chiclet" sizes pieces of pasta were very tasty.
Griddled cheese with honey and pistachios - love this. Don't know why, but I do.
La Passion Martinin Slush from France - grown up frozen goodness
Tuna Poke from Hawaii- pretty sizable chunks of tuna over seaweed salad...mmm

ICing grapefruit sparkling rice brew from South Korea - refreshing, like a grapefruit flavored malted beverage

Misses
Seared Mahi from Singapore - wanted to love this for the "singa" sauce, but the fish and rice were just too dry.
Small size of beer pours from Craft Beers - should clarify here....more like the price of the small beer pours from Craft Beers

My crispy pork was the last in the window perhaps it sat too long? Forgot I tried the choco waffle from Belgium which is telling. Waffle was burnt and I really couldn't taste the chocolate

Funny how even at F&W, seems like the prep is somewhat inconsistent--not just differences in individual tastes, because....

Yeah this is one of the big disappointments with F&W lately.
If you go when it is slow, food sits too long and is not great.
If you go when it is very busy food may be under cooked, bacon not crispy etc...
It can be very hit or miss

In addition it seems that in many cases the portion sizes get smaller as the festival goes on.
I always go the last week and by then the pork chops tend to be smaller for example.

Small size of beer pours from Craft Beers - should clarify here....more like the price of the small beer pours from Craft Beers
Yeah this one seems a bit ridiculous....getting rid of the large one makes sense..but the 4oz pours (some people say 3.5??) seems ridiculous.
In most cases I'm probably better off getting 2 or 3 6oz pours anyway - there was always one on the flights I was not all that interested in..but got anyway as it was a slightly better value

mmm ICing grapefruit sparkling rice...

Oh no! How did I miss that?? Sounds great!!!

should clarify here....more like the price of the small beer pours from Craft Beers

OMG. I wasn't planning on drinking a bunch of beer since I was with my kids and it was about a million degrees. But the guy in Belgium talked me into "sampling" a Stella cider. Well it was awesome, so I ordered one. I had forgotten about the small pours, but took my tiny glass and went on my way. Using my MagicBand (and it was dark at this point) so I didn't even look at the price. On checkout I looked at my sheet, and got charged NINE bucks!! So I guess he charged me for the sample too??!?! On top of the $845 I had charged on my band (all our purchases, not just F&W LOL), it wasn't worth fussing over. But I thought it was sort of tacky. Should I have understood this wasn't a free sample when he offered it to me??

Hits-
Beef Bourgignon from France
Warm Chocolate Pudding from Ireland
Sweet Corn cheesecake from Mexico

Good-
Griddled Cheese from Greece

Misses-
Dessert Trio from that booth (I can't remember the actual name of it)
Belgian Waffle with Chocolate from (stunner) Belgium

I don't think I'm forgetting anything... there's full reviews on my latest food report craftily entitled "Can I do a dining report in one night"

My two sisters and i chomped our way through the food and wine festival. We shared everything and agreed on most. Here are our reviews of what we tasted.

Australia - Grilled Lamb Chop with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies – $6.25 - if you like lamb, you will love this. Super tasty.

Canada - Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup – $4.25 One of my sisters raved about this. It wasn't what i expected. It was better. Highly recommend. Seared Rainbow Trout with Bacon, Frisee and Maple Minus 8 Vinaigrette – $4.75 This was incredible. Super yummy!

China - Black Pepper Shrimp with Sichaun Noodles – $5.50 This was pretty good. You only get about 3 shrimp, but lots of noodles and they were tasty.

Farn Fresh - Nueske’s® Pepper Bacon Hash with sweet corn, potatoes, hollandaise and pickled jalapeño (gluten free) – $4.00, WOW. this was incredible. If they packaged it, i would buy a case. Highly recommend.

Hawaii - Kālua Pork Slider with sweet and sour Dole® Pineapple chutney and spicy mayonnaise – $3.75 This was really good. Nice size portion for the price, highly recommend.

Hops and Barley - Baked lobster alfredo – $6.25, this was horrible. It was macaroni and cheese over something resembling cat food. The lobster was some sort of shredded substance smashed in the bottom of the container. Very disappointing. The La Crema Sonoma Coast Chardonnay here was good, though.

New Zealand - Steamed green lip mussels with garlic butter and toasted bread crumbs – $3.50 The toasted bread crumbs were yummy. But the mussels themselves were overcooked and very boingy.

Scotland - Vegetarian haggis with neeps and tatties: Griddled vegetable cake with rutabaga and mashed potatoes – $3.75, This was actually pretty good. Very enjoyable. Fresh potato pancake with smoked Scottish salmon and herb sour cream (gluten free) – $4.25 If you like smoked salmon, you will like this. Very yummy. Seared sea scallop with spinach-cheddar gratin and crispy bacon (gluten free) – $4.50, Nice size scallop, cooked well. This booth was a real hit.

Terra - CraB’less CraB Cake with pepper slaw and Cajun remoulade featuring Gardein™ This was pretty yummy, even though i'm not a vegetarian. The Vegan Vine Chardonnay was also okay.

i wish we could have sampled more, but we were only in Epcot one day. We gave it our best effort, sampling things between three people.

Hits:
Canada - Cheddar Cheese Soup
Could have eaten 5 servings of this nectar!!!

Hawaii - Kahlua Pork Slider

Hops & Barley - Pimento Cheese Slider

Good, but not great:
Germany - Roast Bratwurst on a Pretzel Roll
Ireland - Lobster & Seafood Fisherman's Pie

Miss:
France - Beef Bourgignon - Lots of fat and the mashed potatoes were hard. Yuck!
Brazil - Cocadas (coconut candy) Truly awful texture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter