Food and Wine Hits and Misses

Mac4life30

DIS Veteran
I would like to start a page where people can rate what they ate or drank. I think is should be separate from the sticky because all we will do is list the best and worst things we had. Anyone care to start us off :)
Thanks

This thread is a great idea. We aren't going until October 17th so i don't have anything to add at this point. But would love to read other folk's opinions.

We were there on Friday. The best thing we ate was the Yard bird chicken from the Farm Fresh booth. It was good and spicy. Close second was the Kalua pork slider from Hawaii. I didn't get the mayo on it, but I didn't notice that it was lacking in any flavor by it's absence.

My favorite drink was Flight 1 from the Craft Beer booth. I enjoyed trying the 4 different beers.

Sep 27, Sep 30, Nov 8 and Nov 10. This is our 7th festival and I can honestly say I've never had a truly bad (inedible) food item. I will say the Happy Lychee in China will knock you on your a**!:faint: Heaviest vodka pour at WDW, I swear!:thumbsup2

My Husband and I went this past Saturday, 9/20 (it was hot & crowded, but I'll save that discussion for my TR :) )
We split everything we tried, so if I say it was a small portion, keep in mind-it was for two people. Here is what we had:

Mexico: we skipped the booth and went straight to La Cava del Tequila, if you are looking for a margarita, do yourself a favor and go here.

Germany:
Roast Bratwurst in a Pretzel Roll ($5.00, DDP Snack Credit)
It was a long, skinny sausage on a short, fat pretzel roll- with a dollop of mustard. it was good, but not great.

Belgium:

Potato and Leek Waffle with Braised Beef ($4.25, DDP Snack Credit)
SOO GOOD and a huge portion compared to some of the other items we got. This is a MUST GET!
Belgian Waffle with Warm Chocolate Ganache and Whipped Cream ($3.50, DDP Snack credit) Another large portion, but nothing special.

Poland:

Kielbasa and potato pierogi with caramelized onions and sour cream ($5.25, DDP Snack Credit) Lots of great flavors. The kielbasa was great. The dish came with three small pierogies. They were so small though, that all I could taste was the dough. It would have been better if it was just one larger pierogi.

Ireland:
Lobster and seafood fisherman’s pie ($6.25 DDP Snack Credit). Nice size portion. Ours had ALOT of lobster in it - we were very surprised. Not our favorite of the day, but still very good.

Canada:
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup ($4.25, OOP) This was so delicious! Unfortunately, for $4.25, we found the portion size to be insultingly tiny.
Moosehead Lager ($3.50) not much to say...it was cheap lager.

Greece:
Griddled Greek cheese with pistachios and honey ($3.75, OOP) This was delicious for a few bites. It was just was too rich, for even two of us to finish.
Chicken gyro with tzatziki Sauce ($4.25, OOP) Large portion, I didn't think it was anything special, but it was my DH's favorite thing he ate.
Tzatziki martini featuring Crop Organic Cucumber Vodka and BOLS Natural Yoghurt Liqueur ($7.75) Curiosity got the best of me here. I knew once a read about it a month back, I HAD to try it. Big mistake.... Im not even sure there was alcohol in this drink. It tasted like someone had just added a lot of water to a container of greek yogurt and blended it. I tasted no cucumber what-so-ever. And to make it worse, they topped it off with a sprig of dill ( i hate dill and it was the only flavor i could taste)

Australia:
Pavlova with Fresh Berries and Vanilla Creme ($3.50, OOP)
if you are expecting real pavlova, you might be disappointed. When they handed it to me, I was sure it was the wrong thing. Regardless, it was still yummy. The "Vanilla Creme" was just instant pudding. It was nice to end our tour around the world with something on the light side though.

I would have loved to tasted more dishes, but we were just too full and it was too hot/humid out.

So glad to see someone made this thread! Thank you to those who have already posted info. Seeing costs and recommendation is SO helpful for planning. I'll be checking back often! Everyone enjoy their F&W!

Hits:
Mexico- shrimp taco and rib eye taco- even the kids devoured these, but then, they love spicy food!
China- potstickers, Mongolian beef, shrimp w/noodles- this was DD's favorite booth
Brazil- coconut candy! This didn't look like it would be all that, but we loved it! It is very rich, though, so sharing it is a must.

Misses:
Italy- chicken Marsala. This tasted like something you would find in a Lean Cuisine, plus it was cold. Real disappointment.
France- beef bourguignon. I make mine with Chuck steak, but this was more like stew beef meat, stringy, without that rich wine flavor. The mashed potatoes were good, though!

The rest of the things we tried were somewhere in between, not great, but not terrible, either. I really wanted to try the pork slider in Hawaii, but ran out of room!

Thanks for starting this thread! We're going to be there next month and I'm trying to make a list of "must trys".

Can you charge these food items on your magic band or do I have to bring cash or credit card

Glad to hear I can get Hawaii's pork slider without the mayo, I don't like spice. Has anyone tried the sea salt caramel creme brulee or the corn cheesecake? Curious how they are.

Glad to hear I can get Hawaii's pork slider without the mayo, I don't like spice. Has anyone tried the sea salt caramel creme brulee or the corn cheesecake? Curious how they are.

My full reviews are in my trip report in my signature, but I had the sea salt caramel creme brûlée. It was great if you like salted caramel. If you don't, it will be a miss.

Yesterday (9/22) was our first Epcot day, and our first time ever at F&W. We had planned to eat around the world for dinner, but were so disappointed in our first stops that we gave up and went back to our hotel.

Our griddled cheese at Greece was cold and congealed (only steps from the booth, not half way around the world). The chicken gyro was too heavy on sauce and boring otherwise. At Canada, our filet, while tasty, was cooked medium well, and the mushrooms were cold. The soup was delicious, but for the price, you can't get some pretzel bread to go with it??

The apple ice wine at Canada was quite nice, a little stingy on the pour for the price. The Frozen S'more at the dessert and champagne booth...wow. Do don't get it. Tasted nothing like a s'more. Had no flavor of marshmallow syrup.

We booked this trip at this time of year specifically so we could do F&W because I'm a foodie and she's becoming one, and so far it's been disappointing. We go back tomorrow to lunch around the world, and I'm almost wondering if I should try for an ADR somewhere just in case we find nothing else we like.

Yesterday (9/22) was our first Epcot day, and our first time ever at F&W. We had planned to eat around the world for dinner, but were so disappointed in our first stops that we gave up and went back to our hotel.
Not sure how busy it was when you were there but I do find things are better if you go when it is busier at night or on the weekends.
Even though it is jammed packed and the lines get crazy the food is turning over much quicker and you tend to get a better product.

As for the steak - or any other meat that needs to be rare to medium rare - i'd say avoid it unless there is a very long line. It's just to hard for them to get it right.

major hit: Australia grilled shrimp (doesn't taste like garlic though), Mexico beef tacos, Brazil cheese balls, Hawaii pork slider, Singapore mahi mahi (must like soy sauce)

major miss: Morocco shrimp roll.

Can you charge these food items on your magic band

Yes. Absent one instance where the scanners did not work at all, and one where it was necessary for everyone using a magic band to remove the band so the CM could input the number on the back of it. Worked everywhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter