Food and Wine Festival

fey_spirit

DIS Veteran
I keep hearing differing accounts of the portions sizes for this event.
I have heard everything from "Appetizer Size" (I've been known to make full meals out of some of the stuff up here in places like Applbees) to "Just a little taste to give you an idea".

So how big are these? Are they like Applebee Appetizers or more like Amuse Bouche sized?

Maybe 2 or 3 bites and gone, defiantly not anything you would order as an appetizer in a restaurant. Disney describes them as tapas sized portions.. I am sure if you search the trip reports you could find a lot of pictures of last years F&W which will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Do you have any favorite reports where I could check this out? (Or advice on what actual search term to use?)

Maybe 2 or 3 bites and gone, defiantly not anything you would order as an appetizer in a restaurant. Disney describes them as tapas sized portions.. I am sure if you search the trip reports you could find a lot of pictures of last years F&W which will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Most are very small, I could not imagine an adult being satisfied after one of the samples. It's very easy for my wife and I to spend $100 sampling food at this event.

No way could you make a meal out of one. DH and I made a meal out of sampling around the world. We had the dining plan and had saved all our snack credits for this. Was lots of fun and yummy too!

No worries, I am actually glad they are not that large, that means we may be able to try everything we want over the course of a six hour period. I'm mostly just trying to figure out how much ready cash to take if we want to do lunch and dinner via grazing.

Here are some photos of last year's food. Of course, there's nothing in the pictures to give you any scale or perpective! I'd guess that the standard plate was 6" in diameter - all these pictures the food is on a standard plate:

Food & Wine 1

F&W2

F&W3 - cup is maybe 3" in diameter

Hope this helps!

They are small tastes of the foods. The plates are small as well. Not like full sized paper plates. Depending on what you get, it's only a couple of bites and on to the next one.

All of that looks so NOM!
I can't wait - this will be our first.
Does anyone have any tips or advice for the new kid?
We'll only have about 6 hrs at most for all of Epcot on this trip, and this is the only thing we plan on eating for lunch and dinner.

Here are some photos of last year's food. Of course, there's nothing in the pictures to give you any scale or perpective! I'd guess that the standard plate was 6" in diameter - all these pictures the food is on a standard plate:

Food & Wine 1

F&W2

F&W3 - cup is maybe 3" in diameter

Hope this helps!

Grab a F&W pamphlet when you get to Epcot and it will tell you what foods are at each countries booth. That might give you an idea of what you'd like to try.

I am pursuing the TGM site for Marketplace offerings how reliable is this?

Grab a F&W pamphlet when you get to Epcot and it will tell you what foods are at each countries booth. That might give you an idea of what you'd like to try.

I am pursuing the TGM site for Marketplace offerings how reliable is this?

Probably reliable for last year's offerings, but this years specific foods have not been announced. They have announced what countries/regions will be represented though.

I would call most of the foods 3-5 bites in size. A good example would be the Scallop from New Zealand last year - it was one average size scallop over some vegetable slaw.
Soups and stews were probably 1/3 of a cup.

No one item will make a meal, but after 5 dishes or so, you start to get full. You're waiting longer between 'courses' since you have to get in the lines and buy the food, so you really don't need a ton of dishes to make up for a meal.

So how does one go about making a list of the places you want to eat BEFORE you get to the parks? With time being so limited (that six hours will be our only chance to hit Epcot this trip) I want to have everything really nailed down before we walk in the front gate.

Probably reliable for last year's offerings, but this years specific foods have not been announced. They have announced what countries/regions will be represented though.

I would call most of the foods 3-5 bites in size. A good example would be the Scallop from New Zealand last year - it was one average size scallop over some vegetable slaw.
Soups and stews were probably 1/3 of a cup.

No one item will make a meal, but after 5 dishes or so, you start to get full. You're waiting longer between 'courses' since you have to get in the lines and buy the food, so you really don't need a ton of dishes to make up for a meal.

So how does one go about making a list of the places you want to eat BEFORE you get to the parks? With time being so limited (that six hours will be our only chance to hit Epcot this trip) I want to have everything really nailed down before we walk in the front gate.

Assuming you are not going on the first day or two of the F&W, you will find posts on the boards of the guides for the F&W and you can do that before you go. It takes a few days for all the pictures to be posted and if you don't see a guide listing all the offerings, just post a thread and ask.

Assuming you are not going on the first day or two of the F&W, you will find posts on the boards of the guides for the F&W and you can do that before you go. It takes a few days for all the pictures to be posted and if you don't see a guide listing all the offerings, just post a thread and ask.

The boards here are the best guide. Shortly after the opening of F&W, posters will start sharing reviews and photos. You will get a good idea of what will be your not to miss tastings. Some of the items have been there year after year, so I tend to avoid the ones I have had before. With limited time I would do your research ahead of time and know for the most part which booths you want to visit.

Have a great time! :thumbsup2

jb

Most are a couple bites worth. A few rare ones are a bit larger (the lobster rolls and asian noodle dishes spring to mind) and more like an appetizer.

My husband and I wander through F&WF and share each dish. If you stroll through over the course of an afternoon and share these dishes, you'll get to sample lots and lots of things.

Of course, the next visit is spent enjoying an entire portion of your favorites for yourself - no sharing!

They are defintely smaller than a restaurant appetizer, but certainly more than just a bite or two. We can never taste all the offerings we're interested in during one day, and we're big eaters.

As I recall from last year, shortly after the booths and offerings are announced, a listing is posted here on the DIS (with prices), which we printed up last year and took with us for reference sake. DD had fun marking her choices off as she ate them! Of course she was interested in desserts most of all, but she enjoyed lots of different foods the last 2 times we visited during the F&WF - we all did.

:sunny:

I am interested also...I will be there for the first day so I wont be able to see the list posted!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter