Food and Wine festival combined with Christmas lights?

superdisneyfan

Mouseketeer
I've been to WDW many times and to the Food and Wine Festival, but never during the Christmas holidays. I'd like to combine the Food and Wine with Christmas. Since the Food Festival ends the weekend of November 12 this year, can anyone tell me whether the holiday decorations are up that weekend? If they are up, are the lights turned on and the holiday parades on that early in November? Thanks!

The Osbourne Lights start at DHS Nov 10 and the first Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party begins Nov 8, so all the decorations will be up and running by then.

If I'm in the MK that day on a multi day ticket, do I have to buy another special ticket for the evening Christmas party? Does everyone have to leave early at a certain time and then come in when the special Christmas nights start?

Yup, you will need a second ticket.
Christmas party starts at 7 PM, you can arrive after 4PM.
If you do not have a ticket, you have to leave at 7PM. HAVE fun!

Thanks...does the same go for the Osborne Lights at the studio? Are they turned on at a special time and do you need a different ticket?

Since I posted my original question, I found out that the Epcot festivities don't start until later in the month so I would miss them...do they require a special ticket too?

Is it worth the extra money for older adults to see the MK Christmas Party?

Be sure to go to the Studios to see the LIGHTING of the Osbourne Lights...They flip the switch at 6pm and it's Well Worth it!

:yay::yay::yay:

Thanks...does the same go for the Osborne Lights at the studio? Are they turned on at a special time and do you need a different ticket?

Since I posted my original question, I found out that the Epcot festivities don't start until later in the month so I would miss them...do they require a special ticket too?

Is it worth the extra money for older adults to see the MK Christmas Party?

It is ABSOLUTELY the best party at Disney IMO!! My mother and I went this past December and went to the Christmas party and it was so awesome! The crowd is down, the parade is amazing and special fireworks too! A definite must see!!

We also will be at the food and wine fest. in Nov. and want to combine it with the Christmas lights. We have 2 days and park hoppers. If we do the food and wine on Nov. 9th and go to DHS or MK on the 10th we could see the Osborne Lights at 6:00pm but we would never make it MK for the parade and castle lighting by 8:00pm would we? The Osborne Lights are not on the 9th so that is out. What to do? Should we just go to DHS and then drive over and look at the castle from somewhere to just see it? and dinner, where is a great place for 4 adults who are not on the dining plan?

We also will be at the food and wine fest. in Nov. and want to combine it with the Christmas lights. We have 2 days and park hoppers. If we do the food and wine on Nov. 9th and go to DHS or MK on the 10th we could see the Osborne Lights at 6:00pm but we would never make it MK for the parade and castle lighting by 8:00pm would we? The Osborne Lights are not on the 9th so that is out. What to do? Should we just go to DHS and then drive over and look at the castle from somewhere to just see it? and dinner, where is a great place for 4 adults who are not on the dining plan?

Are you staying on property? The 10th is an exta hours night at Epcot. If so,what I would do if I were you and you really, really wanted to see the parade and castle lighting plus the F&Wfest and Osborne lights, is to switch your days. Spend the 9th at MK and the 10th at DHS/EPCOT. That way you can do the Osborne lights at 6ish and then go over to EPCOT for the rest of the night. It is easy to go back and forth between the two parks since they are about a 30 minute walk from eachother or a boatride. Oh wait, I just checked and there is no parade at MK on the 9th. The castle lighting and fireworks will still be going on, but the park closes at 6:30 after the fireworks.

Hmmmm,in rereading your post I see you think that the lights won't be going on the 9th, but from what I remember, they start on the 8th this year. Is there a reason you say they aren't going on the 9th? In any event, you are right that there is no way you can do the lights and MK in the same night. The crowd is intense as soon as the lights open so it takes awhile to walk through, then the logistics of getting to MK will just take too long. You can get a pretty good view of the castle and fireworks from the Grand Floridian and the Poly(my 2 faves) or even the Contempory, but it just isn't the same as being up close if the castle lighting is important to you.

As for places to eat, well depends on what you like.There are so many great places to choose from. If you are worried everything will be booked due to the dining plan,just check out adrs right now. You will find something for sure.

I read that the Osborne lights start on the 10th, the castle will be decorated on the 8th. Hard only being there 2 days, but with just adults it will be easier. We are staying at Port Orleans. We also will have a car so don't have to rely on buses. Will it be very crowded during the week in Nov.? I've only been to WDW at Easter and in June/July when it's jammed packed with people. I was hoping for less crowds. So what do you suggest, I'm confused. Oh how long do they leave the castle lights on at night? If we ate at one of the resorts on the lake at the MK, would they be turned on still?

I read that the Osborne lights start on the 10th, the castle will be decorated on the 8th. Hard only being there 2 days, but with just adults it will be easier. We are staying at Port Orleans. We also will have a car so don't have to rely on buses. Will it be very crowded during the week in Nov.? I've only been to WDW at Easter and in June/July when it's jammed packed with people. I was hoping for less crowds. So what do you suggest, I'm confused. Oh how long do they leave the castle lights on at night? If we ate at one of the resorts on the lake at the MK, would they be turned on still?

Hmmm, you should check out the date again because even on Disney's website it says the Osborne Lights start on the 8th. I can attest to the fact that they are up and working at least, lol. They had them on for the Wine and Dine race on the 2nd. You are right, the crowds during the second week of November are lower in general, although the crowd for the lights can be wall to wall people. Only because everyone is standing there at 6 pm sort of like rope drop, waiting for them to be turned on and if you know how that area is, right around the bookstore, it's not very large. It will thin out as the night progresses.

I found out MK closes early on the 9th due to a private business event. As I said there will still be fireworks at 6pm though. So yes, the castle lights will still be on later since there will still be guests there, so you will be able to see it from the resorts. There may even be more fireworks later, but that I am not sure. The event runs til 1am so if there were fireworks for the event they would be at 10 or 11 most likely.

As for what I suggest, that really depends on if you want to see the night parade at MK. If so, your only option is to go there on the 10th. But my biggest suggestion would be to combine the F&W fest with Hollywood Studios on the same day for sure. This way, you can even go between the two parks pretty easily. Also remember, EPCOT has the late hours til midnight on the 10th so you could also go back over there again if you really wanted to.

You're so right, two days in not nearly enough time, but it is better than nothing! You will still have a great time I am sure!

The Osborne lights begin on November 8th as the PP said. I am hoping for low crowds on the 10th to the 12th at F & W. I've been there on a weekend and Epcots WS was a madhouse.

I checked on the Disney site and the 8th it is! The DIS site has it wrong. Still not exactly sure what we are doing. Probably Epcot and HS together then MK and Epcot the next day. Thanks for your help, I'm less confused. I'm getting very excited now. We will be at Vero Beach first for 5 days. 20 days and counting!

I had no idea the lights would be up during
this Festival.
This is the one festival I have been trying
to go to for years. Now that I know the
Christmas decorations are going to be up,
I must see if there is a way I can go
next year. Hopefully, my husband
will be feeling better by this time next
year and we will definitely make
reservations.
Thanks for the info.

S

I checked on the Disney site and the 8th it is! The DIS site has it wrong. Still not exactly sure what we are doing. Probably Epcot and HS together then MK and Epcot the next day. Thanks for your help, I'm less confused. I'm getting very excited now. We will be at Vero Beach first for 5 days. 20 days and counting!

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what you do. Vero Beach is awesome. We used to go there every year for the first 5 yrs. Fun times.

Since a number of posters seem to have been to WDW during the Food & Wine Festival, can you comment on the crowd levels then? Even though the Festival is at EPCOT, I'd imagine this festival would also impact the crowd levels at the other 3 parks.

We have to postpone our trip from Feb to later in 2012...trying to figure out when WDW will be the least crowded, hot and humid. That leaves out September and I'm concerned that the Halloween events will draw extra crowds, so October would not be my first choice either. I'm thinking about 11/4-10/12 so we'd be outta there before Veteran's Day. It's just two adults so school schedules, etc. are not a concern.

Thanks for your input!

Years ago I went the week going into Veteran's Day and the crowds weren't big. Weather was great (70s) except for one day of rain. We're going again this year a little earlier and hoping for the same. I think it's a great time to go for adults only. Have fun planning!

Since a number of posters seem to have been to WDW during the Food & Wine Festival, can you comment on the crowd levels then? Even though the Festival is at EPCOT, I'd imagine this festival would also impact the crowd levels at the other 3 parks.

We have to postpone our trip from Feb to later in 2012...trying to figure out when WDW will be the least crowded, hot and humid. TE]

My DH and I went solo this year from Nov. 9th to the 12th and it was not as crowded as I had anticipated. We knew Epcot had extra magic hr on the 9th so stayed out of the park and had a wonderful meal @ Narcoossee res @ 850 so got to watch the lights and fireworks @ magic kingdom (the first Christmas show of the year). We arrived early to Epcot the next day and hit the rides and were ready to go when the showcase opened @ 11. We never had a line that day @ the kiosks or rides that wasn't a few people or none, until around 5 when the park became slightly busier. (We had planned it that way due to the late hr the night before!) The next day we hit ones we skipped or loved went to mixology and ended the night with the 3D dessert in the eve :3dglasses and this was quite the experience. Barely could eat what I wanted to try. Wished I had starved myself earlier in the day!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter