Food Allergies

allergymomma

Earning My Ears
We went to Disney last year and they were great about my kids dairy allergies. We jusy found out they also have peanut and corn allergies. I am most worried about the corn allergy because corn is in EVERYTHING from french fries to ketchup. Has anyone gone to Disney with a corn allergy specifically? Did your kids have a good variety of food to choose from? My kids are 9 and 14. I contacted Disney and they sent me the dietary forms to fill out as to what my kids can and can't eat. Can anyone with a corn allergy give me any information? Thanks so much for the help.

I think you will be fine! The best options will be at sit down restaurants as well as packing some safe snacks to have with you, both when you're out at the parks as well as in the room.

My DS has diary and egg allergy, but also used to have peanut and sesame (he outgrew those by age 6). He gets tested every years with a blood test at Johns Hopkins hospital, and his levels of egg and dairy continue to drop, but still not low enough (and he had a reaction to his flu shot this year, yikes).

At a sit down restaurant, a chef will come to your table to talk to you or the child, and see what they can make. Sometimes for my son it would be plain grilled fish or chicken, or steak, plain rice or some other potato, veggies, rice dream or tofutti, etc... The restaurants in the countries in Epcot are a bit different, in that we don't even bother trying a place like Italy - not sure if the pasta would have egg, so it's really not worth it to try (there are so many other choices of places he loves). Upstairs in France, at the Bistro - we had an over the top (and $$$$) meal - he had a lovely filet of beef, salmon appetizer, so much great food.

Even last March, we stopped by Captain Cook's at the Poly for a lunch one afternoon, and my son wanted the turkey sandwich. The manager came over to talk to me, since the bread wasn't safe, and it normally came with cheese, etc... She made him a plain turkey sandwich, and he wanted fries. She said the fries were cooked in shared oil with the chicken nuggets, so she had an option of "allergy fries" which were totally safe. Took a few extra minutes, but she was so careful! I think the fries were just plain potatoes cooked in their own oil - not shared.

I definitely always felt safe bringing a small bag with some safe snacks along, just in case he got hungry. At Disneyworld, though, you will find better care for allergies than anywhere we've ever been! That is one reason we've gone so many times, and I started taking my kids even without my husband when they were 4 and 6 - I felt so safe!

I've been looking into this too because my DD is allergic to dairy and eggs. I think there's somewhere you can call to discuss special food needs, but I don't remember where. Maybe speaking to someone at Disney about the corn allergy would help. Does anyone else have this information?

Visit the DISAbilities board. There is someone at Disney you can contact who call tell you what foods are non-allergenic.

Corn is definately going to be your most challenging allergy anywhere you eat. Are they allergic to corn products or all corn derivitives? Most workers will not have dealt with a corn allergy, especially if it includes dervitivitives from corn. You'll have to stick with "pure foods" or check all labels. Things like eggs cooked with no cooking spray or fresh fruit. Meat will be a challenge since most meats use corn derivitives as a preservative. We always travel with enough safe foods so that if we can't find what we need, we always have a backup. My child has a corn allergy as well as many other allergies. The corn one is usually the eliminator when looking for new foods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter