Food allergies/intolerances on DCL?

hkeller27

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We are on the verge of booking our first Disney cruise! :cool1: It will be on the Magic (taking advantage of the new itineraries). We have one family member (me!) that is gluten free - on the verge of finding out if that will be 2 members (DD is being tested). Anyone have experience with dining on the ship with food allergies/intolerances that they can share? We have done WDW and it's been the most amazingly wonderful, easy experience. Hoping to get a little insight - my mouse is ready to click "Confirm" on that reservation tonight!!!

TIA!

DCL does a wonderful job dealing with food allergy/intolerances as evidenced by the replies in the dozens of threads on this same topic. You can call/email DCL and they will note it on your reservation. You can then follow up with your server at dinner and they will see that you are taken care of. If you go to any of the buffets, let the head server working the door know and they will ensure you are taken care of.

It's easier having it noted on your ressie when you board. There have been reports of shoreside cast members either messing up or not understanding when notified ahead of time. We did this for DW's shellfish allergy by going to the dining change place when we boarded to make sure they knew. The servers in our station were made aware of it prior to ever seeing us and took great care of us.

I've heard they're just as good WDW. I'd like to hear replies, too, though. My DS is allergic to eggs and nuts (he used to be allergic to wheat, barley, and rye, too, but outgrew them-- So we know where you're coming from ;)!). We've booked a DCL cruise out of Galveston in December 2012. We have cruised with Carnival before, and they had us pick out DS's food each night right after dinner for the next evening. I'm thinking it may be similar on DCL. Can't wait to hear replies :). --Katie

DCL does a wonderful job dealing with food allergy/intolerances as evidenced by the replies in the dozens of threads on this same topic. You can call/email DCL and they will note it on your reservation. You can then follow up with your server at dinner and they will see that you are taken care of. If you go to any of the buffets, let the head server working the door know and they will ensure you are taken care of.

It's easier having it noted on your ressie when you board. There have been reports of shoreside cast members either messing up or not understanding when notified ahead of time. We did this for DW's shellfish allergy by going to the dining change place when we boarded to make sure they knew. The servers in our station were made aware of it prior to ever seeing us and took great care of us.

Thanks! I was just about to finalize and book last night - but on the dining change place, there was not a box to check for gluten! So I got a bit wary for a moment. I know how wonderful WDW is with the gluten, I was surprised there wasn't a box on the DCL reservation portal. Might have to complete this on the phone.

How has everyone done at the "quick service" locations - you know, not the main dining room. Can you tell my brain thinks in WDW mostly? :laughing:

My DW has shellfish and nuts, my DD has peanuts.
We cruised both 07 and 08 on the Magic.
On 07, the service couldn't have been better. The head guy covering our area (sorry, can't remember his title, it's been a few years) made almost all of my DW meals AND desserts HIMSELF. What service!!! He was very familiar with food allergies.
Now for 08... First, our server was replaced after just 1 night. We didn't complain, but it seemed like every other table around us did. He was terrible and we never saw him again. Our new server was one of his bosses and she took over for the week taking care of his tables. After talking about food allergies for a few days, she recommended a dish to my wife that said right in it, CRAB MEAT!!! Now, my DW is right on top of things, so she questioned it and it seems the server was wrong.

They are usually pretty good about it, just double check everything and make sure you have an epi pen for your DS. Just remember, you are out at sea with a ship doctor onboard, there is only so much he can do.

With that said, we are booked on the new fantasy. They do a good job, but it's your kid, double check and ask twice if you have to.

Also, I can't remember, but will have to check into it again.
The cookies and choc ice cream bars I believe my DD couldn't have because either they may contain OR were produced on the same equipment as peanuts and treenuts. The ice cream bars are labeled, can't remember if the cookies are. Hope this helps.

Jeff

We just sailed the Magic in January and you can see some of my lengthy reviews from the perpective of two family members with food allergies. (just do a search and lots of threads will come up.) I recommend Kapoor for head waiter if you can request him. He stayed on top of everything all week and really earned his tip and then some. :-)

And if you call DCL shoreside to let them know in advance, that is good, but please don't take too much to heart in what they tell you. They are told to tell you that you can only eat in the dining rooms all week; this is really not true at all. We ate safely in all locations, exercising whatever caution was necessary at each time. No worries! :)

We just sailed the Magic in January and you can see some of my lengthy reviews from the perpective of two family members with food allergies. (just do a search and lots of threads will come up.) I recommend Kapoor for head waiter if you can request him. He stayed on top of everything all week and really earned his tip and then some. :-)

And if you call DCL shoreside to let them know in advance, that is good, but please don't take too much to heart in what they tell you. They are told to tell you that you can only eat in the dining rooms all week; this is really not true at all. We ate safely in all locations, exercising whatever caution was necessary at each time. No worries! :)

That is reassuring - I had read in other places that I could only eat in the main dining room - and I don't envision 3 meals a day there.

Now if only I could pick a stateroom - to verandah or not to verandah, that is the question! ;)

I have a good friend who sailed out of Florida, and the chef personally called them to ask if they had any special requests that he could purchase on their stop in Key West.

The real key (no pun intended) is to be sure they know you're coming. DCL recommends at least 4 weeks notice. 1-800-951-3532

Then, call and confirm a week or so before, and again as soon as you arrive to check in. Once on board, become very friendly with the head waiter, and meet the chef.

I have a citrus allergy and it is usually handeled very well. When I am signing in, I ask where to go to report allergies (it is always where they are booking Palo). They will bring the reservation up on their computer. The first night in the dining room, I always tell my waitor again just to make sure. They usually take the order and know what is in the dish. If they don't know, they will send the "head waitor" (the one you normally see at tip time) and he/she will investigate to ensure the dish won't be a problem. There have been several times when the dish was a problem and they asked if I wanted it re-worked to fit me, which has been nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter