Food allergies at Wolfgang Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich

Wonder2008

Mouseketeer
Hello,

Has anyone had any recent experience with either a gluten allergy or dairy allergy at Downtown Disney Marketplace's Earl of Sandwich and/or Wolfgang Puck Express? What kind of service were you given? Did they seem willing to help you?

Thanks,
Robert

I know the Wolfgang puck over by DisneyQuest became one of our favorite places the last couple trips, but haven't tried the Express.

Partly just replying to keep this current for you. We haven't bothered with Earl of Sandwich because DS's allergies are incompatible with their entire concept.

I am allergic to both and have eaten at Earl of Sandwich a few times (September 2013 was my most recent visit). If those are your only two allergies, you can probably get a decent meal but with very limited choices. I have a very long list of allergies but when I spoke to the manager I do know that I was able to have the deli ham and bacon. I could have had them on a salad with chips and fruit as a side but again- my other allergies wouldn't allow it. I remember there being an issue because several of the meats had a dairy wash on them. I know I am not a TON of help, but the manager was nice to go back and check in a binder for me so I at least felt somewhat safe. If I were anaphylactic, I probably wouldn't risk it there because I didn't get the feeling that anyone other than the manager was even remotely aware of how to handle allergies. Since cross contamination isn't a huge issue for me, I just had my deli meat and bacon and ate the chips and fruit I had brought with me. The rest of my family loves eating there so I tag along and make do. Maybe you could see if you can get their phone number and speak with a manager during a non-peak time? :goodvibes

You may already be aware of this site, but if not, there is a great site you can visit by googling Gluten Free Dairy Free WDW. I would post the link but I am not sure if that is against the rules. She does have a few reviews of WPE. Hope that helps some! :thumbsup2

You may already be aware of this site, but if not, there is a great site you can visit by googling Gluten Free Dairy Free WDW. I would post the link but I am not sure if that is against the rules. She does have a few reviews of WPE. Hope that helps some! :thumbsup2

Hello,

Thanks for responding to my message. Actually, I have the gluten intolerance and my sister has the dairy allergy, so the two are actually separate. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to find something at Wolfgang Puck Express at a minimum, but I'm more concerned about my sister especially after hearing about a "dairy wash". I am aware of the website you directed me to, but they didn't have anything very recent for those two restaurants.

By the way, I see from your signature that you've been to Pop Centry a few times. I really think they have the best food court for allergies (at least the best service, in my opinion).

Thanks,
Robert

We were just at WDW in Jan. and Earl STANK the person at the counter looked at me like I was nuts when I asked if they carried GF bread. I was so offended by the way she treated me I asked to see the manager and he wasn't much better. HELLO you are a sandwich shop get some GF bread in there! I will never step foot in that place again UGH

At DTD, for gluten and dairy free QS at DTD you can't beat Cooke's of Dublin. GFDF fish & chips and onion rings. I think I saw a review of GFDF fried shrimp as well.

HELLO you are a sandwich shop get some GF bread in there! I will never step foot in that place again UGH
That's not a fair statement, and a concerning one at that. I am guessing you don't have celiac, a life-threatening allergy, or serious intolerance to gluten. For those that do, many wouldn't step into a bakery to begin with, yet alone expect safe GF options.

Most places where I live that deal with significant quantities of gluten won't bring in gluten-free options because the risk of gluten cross-contamination is extraordinarily high. They would need to have separate cutting boards, knives, preparation areas, etc.; not to mention any loose crumbs or flour in the air. Sometimes, it's ultimately for your safety that they don't offer GF options. (I have no idea whether this is the case or not, but something to think about. One soup/sandwich shop at home has their GF options made and packaged/sealed in a dedicated kitchen off-site and sells them at a separate counter from the regular menu.)

As for the original topic, the restaurants in DTD don't have to follow Disney's allergy policies, so we don't dine there and don't know many people with food allergies that do. As stated above, if you have a gluten allergy, serious intolerance, or Celiac, I don't know if a bakery and sandwich shop would be a safe place to dine. Woflgang Puck may be the better one to check into, as their reputation for allergies as a chain/company is quite good. (I'm not sure about the one in DTD or the express location specifically.) You may want to check out Allergy Eats Disney World -and/or - Allergy Free Mouse (Google them) for some reviews from people with food allergies.

I have mult allergies and Wolfgang Puck Express did a great job and has a number of fresh foods to work with. If its a severe allergy they don't have a separate allergy kitchen like WDW but they are very open about the care they use to get you a safe meal. Earl uses packaged meats and most of them do have various allergens like dairy and soy. I stopped eating there after my last trip when one day I had a turkey sandwich which the manager said was safe and then the very next day went for another turkey sandwich and was shown that it had soy in it :( I didn't get sick but that was my first exposure in a LONG time and it made me angry at how it could have messed up my trip. WPE doesn't have allergy safe dessert options except fruit though unless you can have dairy and eggs they have creme brulee.

I had an awful experience last summer at Wolf Gang Puck's Express. Please be very clear that you can not have gluten. They mixed up our two orders and I nearly made it out of the hotel the next day. Like the OP said, the restaurants at DTD do not follow the same allergy guidelines as the restaurants in the parks/hotels do.

Thanks to everyone who wrote back.

I'll add that we went to the Rainforest Cafe last year (at Animal Kingdom, however). The chef came to our table just like at Disney restaurant, and he was great. He knew the ingredients, and we had no problems at all. But, the food itself could have been better. They gave me a GF roll, but it was so hard I couldn't get my fork through it.

Goofy's Candy Company is always a safe bet for desserts, as is Ghirardelli (unless of course you have a dairy allergy). I guess we'll just stick with Disney restaurants for the time being. I hope all of the Downtown Disney construction brings some better restaurants for us special diet people!

Thanks again,
Robert

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter