Food Allergies: Are you forced to sit alone?

spacecanada

DIS Veteran
This probably sounds ridiculous... but I have to ask.

Whilst I know a lot about DCL's food allergy policies and procedures, I've heard some people mention that if you have food allergies your party will be seated alone. I don't want to be sitting at a table for two if possible; I want to meet new people on holidays. So tell me, if you have severe food allergies will you always be seated alone? (I really hope not; as long as I don't eat the item myself I'll be fine, but anyone around me can have them.) We requested a table for 6-8 people through our travel agent.

On our last DCL cruise (January 2009) we had one allergic family and two non-allergic families at one table, none of which knew each other before the cruise. So I'm wondering if policies have changed in that regard.

This probably sounds ridiculous... but I have to ask.

Whilst I know a lot about DCL's food allergy policies and procedures, I've heard some people mention that if you have food allergies your party will be seated alone. I don't want to be sitting at a table for two if possible; I want to meet new people on holidays. So tell me, if you have severe food allergies will you always be seated alone? (I really hope not; as long as I don't eat the item myself I'll be fine, but anyone around me can have them.) We requested a table for 6-8 people through our travel agent.

On our last DCL cruise (January 2009) we had one allergic family and two non-allergic families at one table, none of which knew each other before the cruise. So I'm wondering if policies have changed in that regard.

I am baffled....in 11 years on the boards I have never heard of DCL making anyone be seated alone because of a food allergy....

I don't know how to answer that! I hope someone with experience with allergies can help.

MJ

The two cruises we've done we were seated at a table for 4 people - so just our family. I got the impression that generally if your family is 4 or more and includes allergies they will seat you to yourselves.

There was a chance to meet with the "dining manager" (not sure the title) when we boarded the ship. I'd meet with them to discuss this if you do end up seated at a table for 2.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I have nut allergies and we sat at a table with another family.

Have a fun cruise! :)

Several cruises ago, we were seated with a group of 3, one of whom (adult) had allergy issues. So we were 4 adults and one older teen at the table. We became friends and have chosen to cruise together and sit together since then. There were no questions asked, etc. beyond the server confirming her allergy and once mentioning that a particular sauce wasn't safe for her.

On another cruise, we were with a family of 4 including 2 children with severe, multiple allergies. The mother was specifically asked if sitting with the two of us was ok (despite linked ressies). At breakfasts and lunches, they were seated alone if we weren't there. The difference might have been the kids--touching each other, cross contamination issues, etc. could have come into play. I know that at school the mom has arranged for the kids to sit at "peanut free" tables, and is very cautious about them sitting with other kids at all.

Kid vs. adult? or something the mom wrote on the medical form? I don't know. Just relating our experiences.

Nope, not at all! My food allergy as well as my son's (both severe) were well noted on our ressie well in advance and we sat with a family of 3 with no allergies and they were wonderful! (We are a family of 5 so it was an 8-top.)

Thank you for all the responses. Looks like good news for us. I didn't think this was the case but I know it had been mentioned a few times in the other allergy threads so I wanted to make sure they didn't make changes since 2009. It must be an option for larger parties with allergies or families who request it.

Nope nut and seafood allergy here ...we sat with a lovely family on our last cruise. I will warn you dinner does take longer...other family had gluten issues, so it seems that between all the checking and double checking we were in the dining room aloooong time.
But we had loads of fun, very allergy specific food so no worries on that end...and we were still able to do whatever we wanted. No need to feel that you will be outcast...Disney Crew does a very nice job of feeding and protecting you from those nasty allergens. ENJOY:goodvibes

I have a hilarious but tragic image in my mind of a row of individual tables back by the kitchen, each with one sad diner, shedding tears into their watercress soup.

In answer to your question, though, no, no one is segregated for their allergies. I have food allergies and have been seated at tables as large as six.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter